Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

Lol big thanks for the shoutout man xD love how Trophy Checklists brings us all together hahah

Also I see you mentioning Mark of the Ninja several times and even won some awards! I have to agree here, playing through the game now (level 5 so far) and my god this game is addicting! I can't get enough of the stealth and creative ways of murdering poor soldiers ? game is worth its praise!

• Like 4

Fuck yeah my friend - I drew big Ewan?…

…and it’s not even the balding Fargo version, or the Trainspotting 2 post heart-attack one?… in this age of pandemics and my body having withered (and expanded) as a result, that’s more than generous -I’ll take it!  ?

The picks for who the checklist cats look like really made me laugh…, but you have done a terrible thing to my brain here…absent other information, it will now be impossible for me to picture anyone other than these picks when reading posts now! ?

Love your picks for the winners and nominees!

I absolutely agree on virtually all counts - and in some cheeky way, this particular end-of-year awards is super fun for me specifically, as it’s one where I’ve actually played all but two games in contention!

Love to see Hotline Miami taking most Addicting (totally agree - the game about drugs is a drug in and of itself!) and The Witness for WHATATWIST… too right!

All love for Mark of the Ninja and Hitman can never be denied or curtailed- big ups there, but even something like Rocket League for Music - I wouldn’t have thought of that I don’t think, but you’re right, that soundtrack is a banger!

That final Cuphead boss… holy hell! It’s such a tricky needle to thread - and goes on for so long, with so much potential for error - had to be that for Most Satisfying Completion - that game should have just added the hiss/pop sound of a ring-pull on a tall frosty one being opened as soon as the credits start to roll! ? 

This whole post also really makes me want to get to The Suicide of Rachel Foster before the end of the year now, and even check out Trover Saves the Universe… just so I can say I have sampled the Full Smevz 2021 Smorgasbord ?

An awesome year clearly mate - some of my personal favorites represented on your list - a hell of a gaming 2021 ?…

…and here’s to 2022! ?

• Like 4

I get Ripley for representation, that's pretty cool! ?.

Awesome write up for your game awards, and thanks for the mention. Although I don't think I'll be starting my own checklist, I don't feel like I have the writing skill of some of the folks I've read on these forums. For now I'm quite content to take part in the backlog challenges and just do weekly gameplay updates there. But looking forward to seeing what you have planned for 2022 ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YaManSmevz said:

@GonzoWARgasm

AAAABZz4wMGBgeoyfWF-SnPcGBGmLIYIc4kRyTuE

This mafucka cracks me up, and I'll always be grateful for his patient ear as I trudged through The Witness! Love his checklist, love his comments, can't say enough good about the guy. Granted, he had that arsonist phase, but I believe everybody deserves a second chance!

We're bringing that up again? I'm sick of the double standards. You burn a body at the morgue? You're doing a "good job." You burn a body at home? Suddenly you're "destroying evidence." ?

Loved the read homie. We've got some of those imaginings of some of the personalities on this site in sync. You give me Keanu vibes.

images-66.jpg

You've played some great games this year and reading about em all was time very well spent. Please don't stop ?

• Like 3

A fantastic finale to the end of the year, Smevin! ? I must say, I had quite the glorious pick, it must be fate of course! A great read through your comparisons of your games throughout the year, I must say they all put a good fight, except poor Trover! ? But that's life, eh?

It's felt like this year has just went by as so quickly, even though years typically feel like that! ? Great to see you've had many experiences in these games that you've come to love, that's what it's all about! On the note of games with banger music... may I interest you in Furi for your ventures in 2022? The soundtrack is absolutely killer. I've gotta set my calendar 360+ days in advance for the next nominees! It's gonna be awesome seeing what you may tackle next year, alongside what everyone else has been up to as well. I will say, on the note of FF7R, a game as an RPG has got to have great characters, it's almost mandatory for the genre! ? I've seen gameplay of it, taking it from the turn-based system to a more action-based take, so something like that is definitely fitting for a character like Tifa!

I can also definitely see why Cuphead would be one of your most fondest completions! When I played that game on my Xbox, that fricking green dragon boss made me furious! ? A tough one for sure, which always makes it a contender for a great completion. I find that the games you spend the most time on, or the ones that have the most amount of challenge are always completions you look back on.

Great list, and I look forward to what's to come!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Shout out to my fellow latino! One of the most entertaining checklists around, complete with a staggering rec game. And yeah, I know Stanton hasn't been a Marlin for four or five years, but for whatever reason he was the first thing that popped up in my head?

Hehehe I love it! Oh how I miss Stanton ?. I'll forever love him for his MVP campaign and even went to his last game with us hoping he would hit his 60th homer(finished with 59). Here's hoping one of these prospects in Jazz Chisholm or JJ Bleday can take up the mantle at some point.

Splendid end-of-year recap! One game that really stood out to me that I've seen on sale here and there but never pulled the trigger on is Mark of the Ninja! Seeing it nominated for so many categorizes has convinced me that I'll scoop it next time I make a round of buying games. 

• Like 1

I am Phil Anselmo!! Yesss dude, I’ll take it! MyManSmevz - Thank you for the shoutout!

Honestly, your thread has been such a pleasure to keep up with since I became active on this site! You have such an incredible style of writing and way of conveying your thoughts on any given topic and it’s always a fucking blast to read through! I know I’m useless in regards to keeping up with a lot of the awesome around here but I’ll definitely be working on that going forward. I do MASSIVELY enjoy everything Smevz though and I just want you to know that!!

Cuphead is a beast completion and such a fantastic game! It was that very game and you writing about it, that lured me out of the shadows and made me want to post in here for the first time! I do get a bit shy posting so now in my mind, at least, you are synonymous with Cuphead which is also one of my favourite games by the way!!

Im glad you had so much fun with Hitman 2. To be honest, you’ve had such a fantastic year gaming - I see no bad games at all, so I’d say that’s a pretty fucking rad 2021!!! Here’s to an even ‘raddddderr’ 2022!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

I am Phil Anselmo!! Yesss dude, I’ll take it! MyManSmevz - Thank you for the shoutout!

I do have one regret about that shout though - when I referenced your strong sense of determination, I didn't say "DETERMIIIIIIINNNNNED!!!!!"?

Honestly, your thread has been such a pleasure to keep up with since I became active on this site! You have such an incredible style of writing and way of conveying your thoughts on any given topic and it’s always a fucking blast to read through! I know I’m useless in regards to keeping up with a lot of the awesome around here but I’ll definitely be working on that going forward. I do MASSIVELY enjoy everything Smevz though and I just want you to know that!!

Cuphead is a beast completion and such a fantastic game! It was that very game and you writing about it, that lured me out of the shadows and made me want to post in here for the first time! I do get a bit shy posting so now in my mind, at least, you are synonymous with Cuphead which is also one of my favourite games by the way!!

I can't tell you how much that means to me man, I'm so happy to hear that! We're all exceptionally fortunate to have you kickin it here, my guy. There simply isn't anybody else with the same approach or attitude as you when it comes to tackling and reviewing games. When you were out of action we were all pretty bummed and concerned, and naturally overjoyed when you returned! I'm just glad to have you around, my dude. All love??

Also as far as games to be associated with, I'll take Cuphead with a hearty "fuck yeah!" We gotta keep an eye out for that DLC, supposed to be comin out next Summer?

Im glad you had so much fun with Hitman 2. To be honest, you’ve had such a fantastic year gaming - I see no bad games at all, so I’d say that’s a pretty fucking rad 2021!!! Here’s to an even ‘raddddderr’ 2022!

Bruh you need some Hitman 3 in your life, that game has the whole trilogy on it, and you'd have a blast with it!

Thanks again my dude, always appreciate ya! Here's to 2022!!

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 3

On 29/12/2021 at 8:56 AM, YaManSmevz said:

@rjkclarke

JVC-BTTF-Featured.jpg

Here I am late to the party again......

..... Sorry about that dude.... It isn't a reflection on you,more my ineptitude at getting things done efficiently, but I'm here now, and I'd just like to say what a fantastic post that was to read through.

I won't shatter your illusion of me looking like Michael J. Fox by posting a picture of the famous person I actually do look like haha, but there is one. I'll take Marty McFly though. I love that you used a shot of him with a camera though - I appreciate that one.

I loved all the other representations of our other checklist buddies too, I can totally see the DrunkenEngineer one too. You've got some imagination dude.

I could totally see @DrBloodmoney going all Obi-Wan, Jedi Mind Tricking away after playing Lost at Sea and waving his hand and being all "This isn't the experience you're looking for, move along." Man that sure is a case of he suffered so we didn't have to, because I would have picked that game up for exactly the same reasons, and been just as infuriated by it. 

You probably could fill a novel with our conversations - it'd be a pretty funny one to read back too, because they've gone to some really surreal places, that have almost made getting windscreen wipers for my phone and PC Monitor a necessity, because of the amount of times you've literally made me laugh out loud mid drink with something you've said.

If we can fill a Novel in less than half a year - then I'm really looking to part two next year, and that growing neighbourhood of misfits - Troll Aunt May's, Dudebro E.T's an Orc Lockmisth called Oglock and whatever else happens to rear it's freakish head next time!

You've played some awesome games this year man - and reading the awards part was of course really interesting too. When I saw Most Charming Indie, I actually thought that'd be a lock for Beholder, but I can see why Edith Finch would win actually. That's one of those games where I think it's the perfect length, but I couldn't help but want to see even more of that world in that game, that house is an absolute visual spectacle and I loved how every single part of it is unique in its own way.

Just like Doc you've piqued my interest with The Suicide of Rachel Foster too, I almost played that during the Trophies to Fight Cancer event, but then I realised the region version for me is above 80% so it wouldn't have counted for me. It's the title that put me of anyway - it's one of those where you know going into it it's going to be a pretty bleak time, just like if you saw a game that was titled "The Severed Heads of Primates Are Used as a Football" You'd probably think "nah I love animals I'mma swerve that one." I'll definitely check out Rachel Foster though after your ringing endorsement.

On 27/12/2021 at 9:25 PM, YaManSmevz said:

I actually remember hating the trucker missions, particularly the ones where you've got like three stars or something and the cops keep detaching the cab from the cargo. That shit was infuriating! But 100% agreed, the fact that they're there is cool, and that they even bother to set it up organically is really nice.

Did you ever play the multiplayer? I did that with my sister a few times... super primitive, but a LOT of fun! Just another testament to all the shit they set you up with in the game. Like they knew what a gigantic playground they gave us and wanted to make sure we had plenty of toys!

I'll just do a little necromancy and reply to a few things while I'm here as well.....

..... I did play the multiplayer for San Andreas a bit yeah - it's not quite what you expect going into it is it, but it is quite a bit of fun - it definitely shows the potential for some fun to be had with it. Which is ironic because the few times I played GTA: Online I genuinely hated it, it was anything but fun for me.

Yes! I got him doing "Nuthin But a G Thang" a lot too, and I remember an NPC walking past once or twice blurting out the melody for that song like "NEE NEE NEE NEE NEEENEEEE NEE NEEENEENEEEEEEEE" and same as you, I did a total double take1f604.png

I had that one too when I played it most recently a few years back - it's such a great small attention to detail that they put that in the game though, makes the world feel that much richer for having moments like that in it I think.

I might still go back and get that hundo again.. the horse shoes aren't so bad with the jetpack and the oysters were a great thing to do while building up your lung capacity.

That's a good point! I never thought about using the jetpack for those horse shoes, it seems purpose built for that kind of thing now you mention it - well there's another :facepalm: from me!

Chronicle it here if you go for the Hundo, I'd love to read about it - I'm sure there's plenty here that'd probably love to read about your own personal journey towards that too - as I always seem to be saying to people " this doesn't always have to be about trophies if you don't want it to be!"

Until you said it I never noticed how much that Proboscis Monkey does look like Mr Burns haha.

It's been an absolute blast man, it's such a great chilled out atmosphere here - I'm looking forward to all the games, laughs, stupid animal comparisons and everything else in between in 2022!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Here I am late to the party again......

..... Sorry about that dude.... It isn't a reflection on you,more my ineptitude at getting things done efficiently, but I'm here now, and I'd just like to say what a fantastic post that was to read through.

I am going to blindly assume that it is, in fact, a reflection on me, and I shall lock myself in my closet with a family-size tub of extra-fat ice cream that I'll eat out of with my bare hands in a fit of tears that is as violent as it is never-ending. And it's all your fault.

...nah, I'm just kiddin. I'm exactly the same way, no worries!

I won't shatter your illusion of me looking like Michael J. Fox by posting a picture of the famous person I actually do look like haha, but there is one. I'll take Marty McFly though. I love that you used a shot of him with a camera though - I appreciate that one.

Oh I'm not opposed! That's just for fun. My favorite celebrity comparison I've gotten is as follows:

"You look like Johnny Depp.. but not in a movie, like when he's at a gas station or something and lookin kinda busted, like a normal person."

.....thanks, I guess..

I didn't have the camera one in mind, but the second I saw it I knew that was exactly the correct one. Almost as if Marty turned his head to me and started talking about Ogloc the Orc!

If we can fill a Novel in less than half a year - then I'm really looking to part two next year, and that growing neighbourhood of misfits - Troll Aunt May's, Dudebro E.T's an Orc Lockmisth called Oglock and whatever else happens to rear it's freakish head next time!

Speak of the devil???

A full year of great games and wacky convo? Count me in, brotha?

14 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

You've played some awesome games this year man - and reading the awards part was of course really interesting too. When I saw Most Charming Indie, I actually thought that'd be a lock for Beholder, but I can see why Edith Finch would win actually. That's one of those games where I think it's the perfect length, but I couldn't help but want to see even more of that world in that game, that house is an absolute visual spectacle and I loved how every single part of it is unique in its own way.

Just like Doc you've piqued my interest with The Suicide of Rachel Foster too, I almost played that during the Trophies to Fight Cancer event, but then I realised the region version for me is above 80% so it wouldn't have counted for me. It's the title that put me of anyway - it's one of those where you know going into it it's going to be a pretty bleak time, just like if you saw a game that was titled "The Severed Heads of Primates Are Used as a Football" You'd probably think "nah I love animals I'mma swerve that one." I'll definitely check out Rachel Foster though after your ringing endorsement.

The Severed Heads of Primates Are Used as a Football is a good game, it's just rather misleading - you actually end up playing tennis with the severed heads.

The idea of you both playing that (Rachel Foster, not the Primate Head one!) makes me happy, because while I thought it was very well-made, the one thing that bothers me about it is kind of tangled up in the story's twist, so I can't talk about it with just anybody! I might just write a review about it with a spoiler warning.

I need to write about Edith Finch too!

Thank you so much man! I thought for sure I hadn't finished enough games to have a good pool to choose from for nominees, but surprisingly I was able to form a good few categories that really made me sit and think! Any other year Beholder would've run off with it like Carl getting caught rummaging through an apartment, but there were just too many emotional heavy hitters - Edith Finch hit me hard and unexpectedly, and the menagerie of art styles was so intoxicating, I just loved that game. And agreed - perfect length!

..... I did play the multiplayer for San Andreas a bit yeah - it's not quite what you expect going into it is it, but it is quite a bit of fun - it definitely shows the potential for some fun to be had with it. Which is ironic because the few times I played GTA: Online I genuinely hated it, it was anything but fun for me.

Yeah... that was the main reason I haven't yet second guessed my decision to give up on S-ranking that game... I like what they did with the online mode, they clearly tried to make it as much its own thing as possible, but... I don't know how else to put it, people suck???

It's been an absolute blast man, it's such a great chilled out atmosphere here - I'm looking forward to all the games, laughs, stupid animal comparisons and everything else in between in 2022!

You and me both bro??

• Like 1

Good luck with your January goals man! ? Good to see you've reached a few of your goals, like getting under 500 unearned trophies! You've got a nice list of future games to tackle, and you'll get them done! You'll crush three plats if you put your mind to it.
And 146 trophies? God damn, that's quite the completion! ? Hitman 2 had so many it needed a second list! Not many games have that phenomenon, so great work!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Good luck with your January goals man! 1f4aa.png Good to see you've reached a few of your goals, like getting under 500 unearned trophies! You've got a nice list of future games to tackle, and you'll get them done! You'll crush three plats if you put your mind to it.

Thanks bro! I'm just hopin I can get the year off to a solid start??

15 hours ago, Shrooba said:

And 146 trophies? God damn, that's quite the completion! 1f605.png Hitman 2 had so many it needed a second list!

?????

• Like 1

Platinum #14: Parappa the Rapper

The rhythm is in sync, the rhymes are on time

tl9-G9g-Sx8-Bnaf-IWSCBPK63svxu-XS2v-Fy.j

When Parappa the Rapper originally came out, Playstation was the cool new kid on the block, and in spite of not actually playing it back then, I'll never be able to separate this game from that era. For me, it brings back those old Playstation ads with Crash Bandicoot heckling a Nintendo office with a megaphone, or Lara Croft gracing seemingly every semi-relevant magazine cover imaginable.

I was about thirteen, and while my staunch Nintendo loyalty had survived the console wars, Sony was able to do what Sega couldn't - they got me to make like Capcom and Squaresoft (Square Enix for peeps born after 1990) and jump ship to Sony.

Parappa is an excellent example of the kind of forward-thinking games that were popping up on the young console - this is the grandaddy of all rhythm games. Not only that, but Parappa could've easily been a hip-hop Poochie - "ooh, this ain't your parent's music, it's that rap music you've been hearing about! And look at the protagonist... he's got a beanie!!"

Having a musician turned game developer like Masaya Matsuura at the helm helped quite a bit. His fascination with sampling steered the project into hip-hop, and while the original ideas for the game were written in Japanese, they had rapper Ryu Watabe translating and freestyling for the end result. How dope is that?

The presentation and story also end up being an unintentional time capsule, from the cheap opening animation to the in-between level screens with a score consisting of popping sounds and mouth noises, much like the show Doug. Real talk, Skeeter could've easily fit in here (honk honk).

Another Doug-ism the game's admittedly meager story has is how well it captures that experience all us boys remember from that age. You've got your friends you hang out with, probably a girl (or boy! It ain't '97 anymore, you do you, boo) you've got a crush on, and the ever present desire to grow the fuck up in a hurry - to get a license, to get some money, to have cool stuff to do, to impress people, and how your imagination can get away from you, daydreaming about making all these things happen. While the scant trace of a story present isn't exactly Hemingway, it absolutely succeeds in taking you back to those simple, goofy pre-teen days.

Which brings me to the issue of Joe Chin. If I'd played it at the age I was when this came out, I probably would've just laughed at what a douche he was... but he's clearly a grown ass man! What is with this constant interest he has in Parappa and his friends? And he's tryin to get with Sunny with his big ass age?? Bruh. Miss me with that shit!

As far as the actual gameplay itself, weeellll... it has aged about as well as you'd expect from a pioneer of the genre. The timing is famously off by a few ticks, and the Chicken level is as tricky as you've heard! It is cute though, watching her gradually get more and more pissed off when you're playing poorly?

The music is dated as fuck, corny by even 90s standards... and I loved it. My personal favorite was the second level, where you're getting your driver's license. To this day I'll randomly blurt out "When I say boom boom boom, you say bam bam bam!"

Parappa fully deserves a re-visit (or first visit) on the PS4, if only for the time capsule it can provide, and the insight it will give you on how far rhythm games have come. But as dated and generally flawed as it is, it's still a pretty fun one, and I happily recommend it!

I legit wish PS4 had a Dance Dance Revolution game though, those were by far my favorite and I'd review the fuck out of that shit?

THAT Trophy: Freestyle Hero

So as mentioned before, the rhythm isn't quite on point here, which makes things a bit tricky (the "YOU HAD ONE JOB" line applies marvelously here).

You'll get the Good ratings pretty easily with the exception of maybe level 5, but it won't take long to figure out. Where it starts getting weird is the rating above it, Cool, where you have to freestyle the whole level by making up your own button prompts. The idea of it makes sense in theory - you dance around the beat in a different rhythm to what the game presents you with.

But in addition to doing that, you have to also hit the original prompts - as well as stars, which prompt where you're supposed to be getting the extra points, except those don't work on their own - you have to add more, but in a rhythm all of its own!

This isn't hard to figure out, but you absolutely cannot listen to Parappa while you do this. Not only are your inputs and his voice completely out of sync, but what you're making him say makes no sense whatsoever.

"DID DID DID DID TOILE- TOI- TOILE- TOI- CHECK CHECK CHECK CHECK LEFT LEFT LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT ON TH- ON TH- YOU YOU YOU YOU"

And bewilderingly, this will get you your Cool rating. Don't ask me, man.. I just did it til I got the platinum!

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

The timing is famously off by a few ticks

Lol really? ? "You had ONE job!"

much like the show Doug

Woah what a flashback!!

Not only that, but Parappa could've easily been a hip-hop Poochie - "ooh, this ain't your parent's music, it's that rap music you've been hearing about! And look at the protagonist... he's got a beanie!!"

Ooof I can imagine it going in that direction too. 

Poochie is still so relevant. Just like how rock bands end up becoming the best tribute bands for their classics once they wash up, The Simpsons itself has become Poochie-ified. The humour was pretty hard to find in the last decade of episodes IMHO.

I legit wish PS4 had a Dance Dance Revolution game though, those were by far my favorite and I'd review the fuck out of that shit

Lightning Round:

Rank DDR, Parappa and Guitar Hero as fast as you can!

• Like 1

Ah Parappa ?

I saw this on the store and got all nostalgic. Back when it first came out, I only had the demo disc that was included with my brother's PlayStation magazine, so I played that first level A LOT ? (kick, punch, it's all in the mind ?).

So when I played it on PS4 it was the first time I'd ever gone beyond that first dojo level, and it was going great.....right up until that chicken!!! I genuinely could not understand why I was failing all the time, and also....seafood cake?!?! The number of times she told me to crack, crack, crack the egg into the bowl, I think it triggers a PTSD response in me now LOL!

I was stuck on that level for months, and then one day I just thought 'fuck it' and just pressed the buttons any old how, and somehow managed to finish the level ?. Once I was past that bit the plat came soon after, but it was just ridiculous how hard that level was ?

I also remember having a demo disc for Um Jammer Lammy, but so far I have not seen this remastered yet. A travesty.

Edited by Heather342
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Poochie is still so relevant. Just like how rock bands end up becoming the best tribute bands for their classics once they wash up, The Simpsons itself has become Poochie-ified. The humour was pretty hard to find in the last decade of episodes IMHO.

As much of a Simpsons junkie as I am, I haven't bothered since the twelfth or thirteenth season - and even then they were running into unfunny problems that no fanboy could justify! I agree wholeheartedly.

Lightning Round:

Rank DDR, Parappa and Guitar Hero as fast as you can!

Just as you listed them!

1. DDR

2. Parappa

3. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero was cool and all, but maybe I'm just old - the dancing pad both reminded me of that old NES Olympic game and kept me entertained long before peeps were buying plastic guitars!

Also you can't wrap up a body with a plastic guita-

I mean that a large pad does a better job of disposing of bodi-...

......errr.. that's not what I meant.

36 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

Ah Parappa 1f60a.png

I saw this on the store and got all nostalgic. Back when it first came out, I only had the demo disc that was included with my brother's PlayStation magazine, so I played that first level A LOT 1f601.png (kick, punch, it's all in the mind 1f3b6.png).

Haha that's awesome! You were a year ahead of me with demo discs? that's bad ass man, I'm envious!

So when I played it on PS4 it was the first time I'd ever gone beyond that first dojo level, and it was going great.....right up until that chicken!!! I genuinely could not understand why I was failing all the time, and also....seafood cake?!?! The number of times she told me to crack, crack, crack the egg into the bowl, I think it triggers a PTSD response in me now LOL!

That's great? I like the idea of you scrambling eggs and just thinking "CRACK CRACK EGG INTO EGG INTO THE CRACK CRACK BOWL BOWL BOWL BOWL"

It's rough enough to find the timing the game wants you to have, but then for it to be like "okay, now make up some new shit!" is absolutely rugged.

Agreed - Sunny is an odd one if she's cool with seafood cake for her birthday!

I was stuck on that level for months, and then one day I just thought 'fuck it' and just pressed the buttons any old how, and somehow managed to finish the level ?. Once I was past that bit the plat came soon after, but it was just ridiculous how hard that level was 1f605.png

That level and getting the Frog's level on Cool level were the two most frustrating experiences I had with this game - and my experience was pretty similar! Once you stop trying to make sense of things, getting those higher scores is startlingly easier!

I also remember having a demo disc for Um Jammer Lammy, but so far I have not seen this remastered yet. A travesty.

I know of Um Jammer Lammy but I've never actually played it... I feel I've missed out!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I know of Um Jammer Lammy but I've never actually played it... I feel I've missed out!

It was essentially the same as Parappa, but instead of rap it's guitar riffs. A bit more up my street ?

I just remember the demo level, there's a building on fire and the fireman is all 'You wanna get past, then put out this fire', hands you a hose which you then imagine is your guitar (because Master Onion said if you imagine it then it's real), and then you play a funky jam while putting out the fire. I'm sure there's probably clips on YouTube somewhere ?. I wish I'd had the full game back then to have played it fully, but in those days of the late 90s it was my brother's PlayStation, I had the N64. Of course my brother didn't share his console that often ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

I wish I'd had the full game back then to have played it fully, but in those days of the late 90s it was my brother's PlayStation, I had the N64. Of course my brother didn't share his console that often ?

I get you? back then I remember I had a ps and my friend had an n64, and with as much of a this-or-that time it was, our group of friends reaped the benefits?

Goldeneye and multiplayer in general was at Brandon's place, and everything else was at mine!

You did get Zelda in the deal though, yes? That's gotta be worth somethin!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I get you1f604.png back then I remember I had a ps and my friend had an n64, and with as much of a this-or-that time it was, our group of friends reaped the benefits?

Goldeneye and multiplayer in general was at Brandon's place, and everything else was at mine!

You did get Zelda in the deal though, yes? That's gotta be worth somethin!

Ocarina of Time is up there as one of my favourite games ever ?

I didn't have a massive games collection, those cartridges were pretty expensive. Though I did have Mario 64, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Lylat Wars (which to everyone else in the world is Star Fox 64). I also had a friend who had heaps of games for the N64, including Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and Mario Party was always a fun time ?. I just remember my mother getting super angry that she paid £65 for Yoshi's Story, and my brother and I completed it in around 45 minutes, so we didn't get many new games after that ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's perfect - I know exactly how you felt!

When I played, it happened to be during a week when MsBloodmoney had taken the (at the time, toddler) away for a week, and so it allowed me to sink into levels of unwashed madness and note-taking, room-decorating psychosis that I'm not sure I've reached with a game before!

I hope your neighbors couldn't see inside, they might have assumed that they discovered the whereabouts of the Zodiac!

My wife noticed when I stopped playing it, and she grabbed the post-its like "hey babe, you don't still need these, do you?" I felt like such a messy dumb ass???

This is exactly my experience with all good puzzle games I think!

...I'm stupid...

...I'm stupid...

...I'm so stupid...

...damn, why am I so stupid?...

...I'm stupid...

OH WAIT! :jaymon:

I'M A GENIUS! 

....I'm stupid...

1f602.png

...keep telling yourself that all you like, my friend...

...but you know the next step is Portal 2...

...and once you've done that, the Puzzles will have you!

They shall feast upon your soul! 1f602.png

Exactly?

Fuck, man... Portal 2 might end up on the list after all...

Quiet, you!

That' interesting - and I kind of agree - for all that The Challenge gets touted as the "hardest" trophy, actually, if you have actually played the game, rather than just poking at guides every 2 minutes, there isn't really anything in the Challenge you haven't seen before, and aren't equipped to deal with. It's the specific new puzzle sets that give more trouble, really.

For me it was the desert section - that one just would not click in my stupid brain for ages, but the sound stuff in the Jungle is a pisser too - if it doesn't click right away, then it could be hours before you stumble on the right track!

Yeah, it was the timer and the necessity to essentially speed through all the puzzles that made The Challenge what it was - without that, it was just a series of basic puzzles. Especially after handling all those damaged ass mountain puzzles (or one of the hardest parts for me, crafting the bridge to the final area)!

Agreed on the Desert! I still remember feeling my brain getting twisted with some of those - it wasn't enough to see the outline, then you had to reverse and flip it and then make a mirror image with it. That shit was wild!

I think that's what Jonathon Blow was going for really - by having so many variations of input clue, he knew that everyone would have different ones that just felt impenetrable at first...

...just be glad he never managed to do what he wanted to do - I remember in the (excellent) video he did with the Giant Bomb guys, he talked about trying for ages to create a puzzle that would ONLY BE POSSIBLE FOR PEOPLE WITH CERTAIN TYPES OF COLOURBLINDNESS! :blink::blink:

He said he could never get it to work, but that was the plan originally!

Ermagerd??????

Just the notion gave me a mini-anxiety attack - and the Bunker was my favorite section!

Great write up man!

I gotta ask - at what point in the game did you get "The moment"...

Reveal hidden contents

where you first realised there were puzzles tracks that could be found and "solved" in the environment?

Did you get it at the mountaintop with the river, or was it just a random moment somewhere?

I personally got it with the clouds at one point, while just sauntering around, looking around aimlessly, then...

giphy-2.gif

Thanks dude????

It was the mountaintop for me!

I was struggling to get the Mountain doors open and the little panel wasn't doing anything. Then I noticed how they looked exactly the same, and when it made that noise my jaw just fell to the floor!

That and the second ending both had me like

4pom2.gif

• Like 4

Charlie-Day-in-Its-Always-Sunny-In-Phila

?? This is The Witness in a microcosm!

It is also my inner voice trying to make sense of any of my prior drafts of video game reviews, as well as what I look like when trying to explain LOST or Survivor or the history of Rock and Roll to Mrs Gonzo.

You realize the sun doesn't go down, it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

Bruh.

When my frustration would start to get the best of me, I imagined Jonathan Blow whining about the sleeping PS4 glitch and personally fixing it in solitude, screaming to nobody in particular that everybody who bullied him in school would have to solve his puzzles his way, while peeing all over himself in spasmodic glee.

I kept myself afloat with jokes, be it lighting a candle to set the mood for the spooning tetris pieces, admonishing the game for promoting segregation, or picturing scene kids in the 1870s bein like "ayo son, you heard that new Grieg joint?? Shit SLAAAAAPS."

??

Sometimes I got what was going on, and sometimes I just didn't. But if that's not a microcosm for how I felt playing The Witness overall, I don't know what is!

My favourite review from you, my guy. I'm so glad you liked it (...ish ?). 

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...keep telling yourself that all you like, my friend...

...but you know the next step is Portal 2...

...and once you've done that, the Puzzles will have you!

They shall feast upon your soul! 1f602.png

... and the next step after that is Return of the Obra Dinn...

• Like 3