Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If I recall correctly, the right wing press were still reeling from having been stung already - there was a fake vidogame that one of the magazines has done a "preview" of for April Fools, with 'realistic' graphics, where you just stalked and killed innocent people in suburbia (basically, that shitty PC game Hatred, but First-Person, fake, and obviously a goof) that the Daily Mail had thought was real, and had written a slew of "Oh, God, think of the Children!!1!" articles about before they got made to look like tits - so they were desperate for anything real to go after.

I didn't hear about that! I do know that here in the states there were several protests outside of Rockstar's New York offices, if memory serves on two different occasions, when the game was announced and when it was released. They had a list of demands, with stuff like "apologize for misleading the children with violent games and also for driving up our car insurance premiums!!1!one!!" I just don't understand this place sometimes. It Takes Two is good for children, and Bully is bad for teenagers. Figure that one out!

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That might be true - to be honest, at this point, I'd probably like it better if they gave that IP to someone who makes narrative games but gameplay-forward-style - a Monolith or a Remedy or someone like that, maybe?

Red Dead is still a great game - though I never ended up getting RDR2 after a dude I know who loved the first one even more than me was crushed after playing it, and basically told me to steer clear!

Ooh, I'd be down with that! Plus they'd make plenty of money in the sale - seems to be all they care about these days, so why not?

Dang. I'ma say 'ouch' for RDR2! I will get to that one in probably 2023 or so, but it's mad intimidating. Was he crushed by the scope of it, or was the story uh.. notable for the wrong reasons?

6 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

...wut.

Dood. You need to play. That. Game. 

Stat.

Thankfully, it was in a handful of games I bought with that PS3 back when we thought you wouldn't be able to buy those games anymore? once I get through a lot of these games I wanna wrap up, I plan on having a PS3 marathon. Plus, that one's set up in another room, so I won't have to take turns with that TV!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If I recall correctly, the right wing press were still reeling from having been stung already - there was a fake vidogame that one of the magazines has done a "preview" of for April Fools, with 'realistic' graphics, where you just stalked and killed innocent people in suburbia (basically, that shitty PC game Hatred, but First-Person, fake, and obviously a goof) that the Daily Mail had thought was real, and had written a slew of "Oh, God, think of the Children!!1!" articles about before they got made to look like tits - so they were desperate for anything real to go after.

Daily Mail is right wing?

Serious question, BTW - we get this awful TV version of Daily Mail here, but there's nothing particularly right-wing about it. It's just really bad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Dang. I'ma say 'ouch' for RDR2! I will get to that one in probably 2023 or so, but it's mad intimidating. Was he crushed by the scope of it, or was the story uh.. notable for the wrong reasons?

Well, I'm certainly not any kind of authority, and I don't want to bash a game I haven't played, but his quote was along the lines of

"There isn't any game here, it's just animation masturbation!"

...basically, he thought there was a good story and fun gameplay, but there was no respect for the payers time, and everything took so long and had such a painstaking amount of detailed animations that he felt like a 4 hour play session had like 20 minutes of actual action in it.

I should actually ask him what he thinks now, looking back actually - (that was while it was still new, and I think he did finish the story)... but it did legit put me off, since he's not even a platinums & completion kind of guy... and I know I am.

If he was bored of it, not even thinking about platinums or S-Ranks or needing to do everything, I could only imagine what it would do to someone with my kind of mentality!

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Daily Mail is right wing?

Serious question, BTW - we get this awful TV version of Daily Mail here, but there's nothing particularly right-wing about it. It's just really bad.

Oh, absolutely... over here, the Daily Mail is synonymous with a particular Right Wing, Brexiteer, "think of the children", angry-all-the-time Tory reader. 

Technically, they may well seem less right-wing on the online version, in the sense that they are also massively hypocritical (there will be an article about how too much sexual content in marketing is terrible for kids... then have a 50-photo spread of paparazzi shots of "Kim Kardashian Flaunting her Ample Assets while Grocery Shopping"... but the actual political content is as right wing as it is factually incorrect... and it's factually incorrect a LOT ?

It's all relative I suppose though - both US parties, Democrat and republican would be considered right and centre-right by european standards, but I'd say the DM newspaper division is probably still right-wing, even by US standards.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, I'm certainly not any kind of authority, and I don't want to bash a game I haven't played, but his quote was along the lines of

"There isn't any game here, it's just animation masturbation!"

...basically, he thought there was a good story and fun gameplay, but there was no respect for the payers time, and everything took so long and had such a painstaking amount of detailed animations that he felt like a 4 hour play session had like 20 minutes of actual action in it.

I should actually ask him what he thinks now, looking back actually - (that was while it was still new, and I think he did finish the story)... but it did legit put me off, since he's not even a platinums & completion kind of guy... and I know I am.

If he was bored of it, not even thinking about platinums or S-Ranks or needing to do everything, I could only imagine what it would do to someone with my kind of mentality!

Oof. The Metal Gear Solid 4 approach, eh? I could very much see that being a thing. That's the same reason I've been hesitant to tackle it... I've no doubt that it's masterfully made, and a genuinely good time, but who wants a woefully incomplete game on their track record - to be clear, fuck the 17% or whatever on PSNprofiles, I mean the knowledge that you've barely scratched the surface of a game and you're already tappin out!

22 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's all relative I suppose though - both US parties, Democrat and republican would be considered right and centre-right by european standards, but I'd say the DM newspaper division is probably still right-wing, even by US standards.

Yeah... I'm not proud of our politics?

• Like 1

I need to stop turning up late to parties man!

All the good stuff has already been said....... Nevermind, I guess I can still throw a few things out into the world.

I'm used to doing that at this point anyway haha ?

On 27/11/2021 at 0:13 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Hundo #10: Red Dead Revolver

They're whispering his name through this disappearing land, but hidden in his coat is a red right hand

392435-Red_Dead_Revolve.jpg

You really have got to stop making me need to go into the PS Store and purchase many of these Rockstar hundo's....... I've never actually finished Read Dead Revolver, I did play it a bit when I was younger, but it never quite resonated with me all that much.

To tell you the truth, I played Gun first - which is a game I'd love to see get a remaster, and that was kind of my fill for western themed video games until Red Dead Redemption (which as Gonzo pointed out, you should tackle when you go onto your PS3-athon,) you've definitely made me want to go and tackle this at some point though.

Especially as you know I like having games from a series/connected games, or games from the same developer finished - so that's another incentive too. Plus there's the fact that your awesome review of it exposed a few areas of Red Dead Revolver that would have washed over me in my younger years, and wouldn't have been something I'd have appreciated either way. So I think viewing it with adult eyes could potentially be a pretty fun time.

On 03/12/2021 at 9:06 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Hundo #1: The Warriors

Crews be actin like they gangs anyway/Be like "Warriors, come out and play-eee-yay"

dhPh3o6QhYDactKfndfqg838C9jaBDvQ.jpg?w=4

I love The Warriors.

I loved reading this one, a hell of a lot  - I never had any doubt I'd purchase this at some point, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Like you, I love the film, and I really loved the game too.

It really is a fantastic example of adding to the source material in a positive and organic way, instead of just feeling like an unnecessary bolt on. For as much as I liked Scarface: The World is Yours, and I do very much, it really didn't need to be an actual sequel to the film, and the fact it is, makes so much less sense, because of how that film ended. Well - that, and the whole BALLS thing.

It's nice to see that of all of the Rockstar games you've been reviewing, which have been absolute joy to read by the way, it's great to see that time seems to have been one of the kindest to The Warriors - I don't mind a bit of jank on occasion (actually I love it ?,) but it is undeniable how tinted your memory of certain things can be.

I played a little of Fallout 3 recently, on a PS3 (terrible idea, but I gave my 360 copy to one of my friends,) and I was sitting there thinking, I'm sure I don't remember so many of these characters looking and sounding the same. But they do - and Oblivion is even worse in that regard (but I still like it more than Skyrim)...... Still wish Oblivion would get at least one remaster with trophies, instead of Bethesda milking the Skyrim cow so dry it's poor cow nip-nips are probably so stretched they look like stilts by now. 

Awesome review though man - that's definitely bumped it up the list of things I want to get to sooner to relive this awesome game.

11 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #4: Bully

I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

BULLY_SE_16X9_V03.jpg?h=256

I'm really happy that you did bring up the obvious preconceived idea most of us had going into it - that it might end up just being a teenage GTA Clone.

I'm so glad that it isn't though - it really is its own thing.

I've also liked the fact that Jimmy is not actually inherently evil - in @DrBloodmoney's neck of the woods Jimmy would probably just be referred to as a NED...... Or I guess in a pretty extreme case a C**t..... :lol:

I think that helps a lot to be honest, a lot of GTA protagonists, are just inherently evil, disgusting people. Claude being the worst of the bunch probably, that guy is such a snake, and the things he does are horrendous and I think the fact he's silent sort of glosses over what he's doing a lot of the time, as you find yourself not really stopping to think about the fact you play every gang off against one another, betraying people at every turn, all for the highest price.

Jimmy on the other hand - sure he can be a bit of a knobhead - but he does know the difference between right and wrong..... I like the fact that he sticks up for the nerds, instead of just joining in with picking on them. The game might be called Bully - or not if you live where I do, but that isn't really Jimmy. So it's an interesting twist on the kind of characters you often see from Rockstar, and to be honest what you probably would expect from them.

I love the fact that you gave Brick a shoutout too - fantastic film, that was my first exposure to Rian Johnson as a film-maker, I knew from that point he was one to keep an eye on. Shame he got a mobbing from some of the Star Wars fans who wouldn't know a good film-maker if they smacked them in the face with a wok.

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It was such a load of tosh - like the Brass Eye Paedo-geddon episode

I literally rewatched that on Sunday!

"YOU ARE A SLOT BADGER, YOU'RE A TWO-PIN DIN PLUG, YOU'RE A FENCE FOAL, YOU'RE A CHIMNEY BOTTLER, YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER"

Back onto Bully though - one of the things I really loved about it, was the fact that isn't too long or too expansive. None of it is, and you alluded to that perfectly, nothing ever feels like too much of arduous task, it's Rockstar having lots do, but very little of it actually feels like a waste of your time, and I love that. The smaller map means that you don't feel overwhelmed by how big everything is either. I think there's a lot to be said about, scaling a game down for an all round more enjoyable experience - I think that's why a lot of people took to Horizon: Zero Dawn the way they did, it's not overboard in its scope. It is just about the right size I'd say.

Another fantastic Rockstar revisit with this one, these were all such a joy to read!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

I need to stop turning up late to parties man!

Bro, I feel your pain!

You really have got to stop making me need to go into the PS Store and purchase many of these Rockstar hundo's....... I've never actually finished Read Dead Revolver, I did play it a bit when I was younger, but it never quite resonated with me all that much.

To tell you the truth, I played Gun first - which is a game I'd love to see get a remaster, and that was kind of my fill for western themed video games until Red Dead Redemption (which as Gonzo pointed out, you should tackle when you go onto your PS3-athon,) you've definitely made me want to go and tackle this at some point though.

Especially as you know I like having games from a series/connected games, or games from the same developer finished - so that's another incentive too. Plus there's the fact that your awesome review of it exposed a few areas of Red Dead Revolver that would have washed over me in my younger years, and wouldn't have been something I'd have appreciated either way. So I think viewing it with adult eyes could potentially be a pretty fun time.

Full disclosure, although I haven't played it myself, by all accounts that I've heard Gun is the better of the two games. I can say, however, that it's definitely worth a visit. Especially if that means you'll be treating us to a series of Red Dead reviews...

sad-eyes-begging.gif

Like you, I love the film, and I really loved the game too.

It really is a fantastic example of adding to the source material in a positive and organic way, instead of just feeling like an unnecessary bolt on. For as much as I liked Scarface: The World is Yours, and I do very much, it really didn't need to be an actual sequel to the film, and the fact it is, makes so much less sense, because of how that film ended. Well - that, and the whole BALLS thing.

It's nice to see that of all of the Rockstar games you've been reviewing, which have been absolute joy to read by the way, it's great to see that time seems to have been one of the kindest to The Warriors - I don't mind a bit of jank on occasion (actually I love it ?,) but it is undeniable how tinted your memory of certain things can be.

YES. I failed to mention this in the review, but with The Godfather your character is just randomly thrown into significant moments in the film, which at first is cool but after a while is just kind of silly - like Aldo just happened to be in the background all this time, get the fuck out of here!

The Warriors brilliantly bypasses that altogether and includes you in a truly genuine way - you aren't just in the gang, you are the gang. Time has most definitely been the most kind to this game, at least to me, and I think it's because most ambitious games are going for something that can become dated eventually - size, graphics, gameplay - whereas The Warriors just wanted to expand on a story that we already loved, and make you feel like a part of it. Fuck man, I wanna play it again now!

I played a little of Fallout 3 recently, on a PS3 (terrible idea, but I gave my 360 copy to one of my friends,) and I was sitting there thinking, I'm sure I don't remember so many of these characters looking and sounding the same. But they do - and Oblivion is even worse in that regard (but I still like it more than Skyrim)...... Still wish Oblivion would get at least one remaster with trophies, instead of Bethesda milking the Skyrim cow so dry it's poor cow nip-nips are probably so stretched they look like stilts by now.

I actually have a 360 copy of Fallout 3 somewhere, and like Vesperia, it was sadly never played. Well, by me anyway! FO3 and New Vegas will probably always be games I felt I truly missed out on.

Dude I see how Skyrim seems to be like Bethesda's GTA V..

tumblr_inline_paqkmmBRup1tg5wat_540.jpg

Artist's rendition

It's a damn shame, all I can say really.

I'm really happy that you did bring up the obvious preconceived idea most of us had going into it - that it might end up just being a teenage GTA Clone.

I'm so glad that it isn't though - it really is its own thing.

I've also liked the fact that Jimmy is not actually inherently evil - in @DrBloodmoney's neck of the woods Jimmy would probably just be referred to as a NED...... Or I guess in a pretty extreme case a C**t..... :lol:

I think that helps a lot to be honest, a lot of GTA protagonists, are just inherently evil, disgusting people. Claude being the worst of the bunch probably, that guy is such a snake, and the things he does are horrendous and I think the fact he's silent sort of glosses over what he's doing a lot of the time, as you find yourself not really stopping to think about the fact you play every gang off against one another, betraying people at every turn, all for the highest price.

Jimmy on the other hand - sure he can be a bit of a knobhead - but he does know the difference between right and wrong..... I like the fact that he sticks up for the nerds, instead of just joining in with picking on them. The game might be called Bully - or not if you live where I do, but that isn't really Jimmy. So it's an interesting twist on the kind of characters you often see from Rockstar, and to be honest what you probably would expect from them.

It's funny because I remember so strongly hearing about that, developing the idea in my own mind and then expecting it, but then when Bully proved to be its own unique beast, I was overjoyed. I plowed through that game so quickly, legit could not get enough of it.

Jimmy was definitely one of few Rockstar protagonists who weren't bad so much as in a bad situation and trying to make the best of it. Definitely had his heart in the right place in spite of his flaws - perhaps this was the birth of a new trope, The Douche with a Heart of Gold!

You make a great point, I never really thought about it but Claude absolutely is a cold hearted bastard who'll kill anybody, with his lack of personality kind of softening the blow. He started out in 2001 too... he might be #46?

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I love the fact that you gave Brick a shoutout too - fantastic film, that was my first exposure to Rian Johnson as a film-maker, I knew from that point he was one to keep an eye on. Shame he got a mobbing from some of the Star Wars fans who wouldn't know a good film-maker if they smacked them in the face with a wok.

Such a good movie! That was when I was first starting to get into more indie movies, and that one really cemented it for me. A pretty large chunk of my collection is indie flicks of the '00s!

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Back onto Bully though - one of the things I really loved about it, was the fact that isn't too long or too expansive. None of it is, and you alluded to that perfectly, nothing ever feels like too much of arduous task, it's Rockstar having lots do, but very little of it actually feels like a waste of your time, and I love that. The smaller map means that you don't feel overwhelmed by how big everything is either. I think there's a lot to be said about, scaling a game down for an all round more enjoyable experience - I think that's why a lot of people took to Horizon: Zero Dawn the way they did, it's not overboard in its scope. It is just about the right size I'd say.

Another fantastic Rockstar revisit with this one, these were all such a joy to read!

An excellent point, one I wish I had thought of when I was writing that review?

Bully is like if sandwich shops offered an 8" sandwich instead of only a half or full footlong (apologies to all you metric system folks, I don't know the equivalents off the top), it's just the right length and not too big!

No activities are too time consuming, everything clearly went through a long process before getting cleared for the game.

"Monkey poo arcade game trial #500, is it still fun? Okay good, it goes in!"

Yet again, you're gently pushing Horizon uo the priority list. And I'll allow it!

Thanks so much, dude! You guys are consistently posting such top quality stuff, I'm just happy to try and keep up with y'all?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #8: L.A. Noire

When the hills of Los Angeles are burning

5Jb0XuGN9LdfkZHWu4EJUvMjaVIwbY9i.jpg?w=4

Ah, the Mad Men Hallowe'en Dress-Up Where's Waldo Game!

I think I fall in the same camp you do  -I really di the game a lot, but man, you really need to see some of the...

?

It's funny really - given that Cole is played by Aaron Stanton, and he brought over like every other actor from (greatest TV show-off all time) Mad Men... (when I played the remaster, MsBloodmoney watched, and took a sip every time she recognised someone we had seen in Mad Men... she got F-'d up!)...  along with a host of genuinely great character actors, I know for a fact that over-the-top suspicious facial stuff isn't their idea - they must have just been told by Team Bondi to keep amping up the visual cues to make it work, a-la:

dramatic-music-the-simpsons.gif

Actually, it's funny that you place this as a Rockstar game - I know it was published by them, but I never really think of it as being one - it's always a Team Bondi game in my head... (though maybe that's some self-preservation on Vice City's part in my mind - if I count LA Noire as a Rockstar game, then Vice City doesn't even makes it into my top five Rockstar products!

:hmm:(Bully, The Warriors, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, San Andreas... yup! ?)

On those collectible trophies - yeah - I must admit, I've been doing my "Way to Spoil it" award for trophy lists that really hurt the game experience, and if LA Noire had been in this year, those collectibles and the car trophies would be hot contenders for that!

The game story is, I think genuinely great. I know some people have an issue with the contrivance and convenience of that final reveal - but I think those people miss the point, that all great Noire cinema has those kind of deus-ex-machina plot reveals - The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, The Long Goodbye... basically every Raymond Chandler Novel has some version of that strangely-convenient reveal of the master-plan to the protagonist in the final act, so I see that as a good aspect here, fitting the tone, and not a negative!

Great review anyways man - you’re powering through those Rockstar joints!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ah, the Mad Men Hallowe'en Dress-Up Where's Waldo Game!

I think I fall in the same camp you do  -I really di the game a lot, but man, you really need to see some of the...

1f602.png

BRILLIANT!!!???

I'm oddly reminded of Isle of Sgail and that guy in the beginning with his over-the-top "AaaAAHH!!" that you get to hear twice in succession as you run past!

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's funny really - given that Cole is played by Aaron Stanton, and he brought over like every other actor from (greatest TV show-off all time) Mad Men... (when I played the remaster, MsBloodmoney watched, and took a sip every time she recognised someone we had seen in Mad Men... she got F-'d up!)...  along with a host of genuinely great character actors, I know for a fact that over-the-top suspicious facial stuff isn't their idea - they must have just been told by Team Bondi to keep amping up the visual cues to make it work, a-la:

dramatic-music-the-simpsons.gif

I KNEW I should have referenced Mad Men!!

And 100%, I've no doubt that they pushed them to be as obvious as possible. There were only a handful of times where they caught me slippin, and the piano sounds like it's trailing off, disgusted by your lack of intuition.

To this day, every time I'm unable to read someone I think of how ashamed the piano must be of me!

....okay, truth time: I made that last part up.

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Actually, it's funny that you place this as a Rockstar game - I know it was published by them, but I never really think of it as being one - it's always a Team Bondi game in my head... (though maybe that's some self-preservation on Vice City's part in my mind - if I count LA Noire as a Rockstar game, then Vice City doesn't even makes it into my top five Rockstar products!

:hmm:(Bully, The Warriors, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, San Andreas... yup! 1f602.png)

I know they're all developed by other companies that simply got bought out and renamed with Rockstar and then whatever city the dart landed on (I kid), but back when I started following Rockstar I didn't have the same understanding that I do now, and just lumping all the games with that logo together just started makin sense to me, so I've just kinda stuck with that. I actually wasn't going to do this game with the rest, but I forgot how annoying Toreno's missions are, so since that review isn't gonna get started just yet, I figured why not?

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

On those collectible trophies - yeah - I must admit, I've been doing my "Way to Spoil it" award for trophy lists that really hurt the game experience, and if LA Noire had been in this year, those collectibles and the car trophies would be hot contenders for that!

The game story is, I think genuinely great. I know some people have an issue with the contrivance and convenience of that final reveal - but I think those people miss the point, that all great Noire cinema has those kind of deus-ex-machina plot reveals - The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, The Long Goodbye... basically every Raymond Chandler Novel has some version of that strangely-convenient reveal of the master-plan to the protagonist in the final act, so I see that as a good aspect here, fitting the tone, and not a negative!

Great review anyways man - your powering through those Rockstar joints!

I'm glad that this game ranks highly for you, or in company with Red Dead at least! Definitely agreed on the ending being faithful to a noir presentation and storytelling aspect (and everything else is quite faithful, I was so taken with that aspect), and I didn't have a problem with it really, but I'd be lying if I said my knee-jerk wasn't "...wait, what?"

Now I wanna watch The Big Sleep!

Yeah, I wonder of developers of games with large worlds like this think they're doing us a solid by forcing us to explore more extensively to find these collectibles. Or are selfishly being like "Look through this gigantic world I made!! LOOK THROUGH IT!!!"

Thanks a lot man, appreciated as always! Once San Andreas is done it's doubtful I'll do another Rockstar review any time soon so i may as well enjoy it now?

• Like 3

On 16/12/2021 at 4:05 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #8: L.A. Noire

When the hills of Los Angeles are burning

5Jb0XuGN9LdfkZHWu4EJUvMjaVIwbY9i.jpg?w=4

Smevz! Dude, why were you ever worrying about the Baseball minigame in Yakuza 0?

When you're hitting so many damn home runs with these Rockstar reviews! Okay I'll leave the corny stuff at the door now.

I should have dropped a comment yesterday, but I had a brief window of time to actually get some gaming time in,so I thought I'd grab that - I thought you'd probably understand.

That was another super enjoyable read, to tell yo the truth I haven't thought about this game in quite a long time, I don't think I've played it since 2013. The things I do remember were really quite odd actually. I don't know if it got improved in the PS4 version, I only played the PS3 version so that's my only comparison point - but there's a weird issue in that version, where the Irish boss cop's head swivels about all over the place whilst he's talking. I remember like me and one of my friends had this weird running joke between us for ages where we'd impersonate that irish cop moving his head from side to side and saying "We'll be keeping a close eye on you Mr Phelps!"

Edit: I really should have mentioned that I really like this game, it was such a breath of fresh air when I initially played it, and although the facial motion capture was a little rough around the edges it did pave the way for it being implemented in plenty of future games.

Oh that and for a while after playing it, anytime someone said something bordering on bullshit, me and him would say " I think you're lying," in the best Cole voice that we can manage.

I had forgotten about the uneasiness and uncertainty that comes alongside that damn Public Menace trophy - man that was a real pain in the backside that one. I loved the games aesthetic too, all I needed to sell the game to me as a concept, was that you were essentially playing an interactive film noir, I didn't really care if Rockstar were involved or not - probably why I enjoyed Murdered: Soul Suspect too. Although strictly speaking that one is more of a neo-noir than truly film noir.

I love the collectibles in this game - and also really dislike them too, in almost equal measure. The little film obsessed twit in me loves being able to go around and find all of the film reels and be able to say " ahh man that film was awesome" or some such. But to be honest - they feel so tacked on and pointless, outside of being a cool Easter Egg, they add literally nothing, and the cars even more so. Just busy work - I can't think of many games that needed to be open world, or have open world elements less than this one did.

I'm glad you mentioned the hand-holding the game does. I was never a big fan of those little musical stings it gives you when you are near something, or the game gives you the "well done, have a treat" every time you find something. I'm a pretty big fan of the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games, and if they did that as often as L.A Noire likes to whenever you find something important, I'd find it so distracting. I can live with it in L.A Noire, but it does kind of make it feel a little less special when you stumble across one of the clues that are actually fairly well hidden.

I haven't seen a single episode of Mad Men, so it was only after playing it that I looked at the cast and saw so many of them had been in that show, which I thought was quite funny really.

Another awesome review though as ever man!

On 16/12/2021 at 4:05 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Anyway, PSN CHECKLIST POSTER POWERS, ACTIVATE!

FORM OF - NON-RAMBLER!

200.gif

:lol:??

I think I might need some lessons - Oh great one!

On 09/12/2021 at 9:14 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Full disclosure, although I haven't played it myself, by all accounts that I've heard Gun is the better of the two games. I can say, however, that it's definitely worth a visit. Especially if that means you'll be treating us to a series of Red Dead reviews..

Gun was great - at least how I remember it, it was, could be those rose tinted glasses finally kicking in though, as it's been at least twelve years since I played it last.I guess I have to at least review Red Dead Redemption at some point - so it would at least be better to do Red Dead Revolver first - and as about 60% of it is completely new to me, I'm kind of looking to that one the most. So I guess I should inflict that upon folk at some point.

I actually have a 360 copy of Fallout 3 somewhere, and like Vesperia, it was sadly never played. Well, by me anyway! FO3 and New Vegas will probably always be games I felt I truly missed out on.

You should totally get Vesperia for PS4!

I can't  in all good faith recommend that you go and get the Fallouts  for PS3 - I think I'll end up with a similar problem to Doc when reviewing them - where the fact that they run like absolute dirt on PS3 kind of hinders the experience a little too much.  I believe he has too from what I remember at least, played them on a superior version - a PC in his case I think, it's tough to really fight the corner of the Fallout titles on PS3. They just run so terribly, New Vegas especially so, the higher the size of your save file becomes the more likely it'll be that you'll start playing Fallout: New Vegas - Microsoft PowerPoint Edition :facepalm:

If they ever get a PS4/PS5 remaster and they work fine - absolutely get them though, because they are great titles!

Bully is like if sandwich shops offered an 8" sandwich instead of only a half or full footlong (apologies to all you metric system folks, I don't know the equivalents off the top), it's just the right length and not too big!

That is so true!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Smevz! Dude, why were you ever worrying about the Baseball minigame in Yakuza 0?

When you're hitting so many damn home runs with these Rockstar reviews! Okay I'll leave the corny stuff at the door now.

I should have dropped a comment yesterday, but I had a brief window of time to actually get some gaming time in,so I thought I'd grab that - I thought you'd probably understand.

Haha thank you man!

I totally understand! Beyond the fact that you're under no obligation, you've gotta get in all the gaming you can - we are in a challenge after all!

That was another super enjoyable read, to tell yo the truth I haven't thought about this game in quite a long time, I don't think I've played it since 2013. The things I do remember were really quite odd actually. I don't know if it got improved in the PS4 version, I only played the PS3 version so that's my only comparison point - but there's a weird issue in that version, where the Irish boss cop's head swivels about all over the place whilst he's talking. I remember like me and one of my friends had this weird running joke between us for ages where we'd impersonate that irish cop moving his head from side to side and saying "We'll be keeping a close eye on you Mr Phelps!"

Edit: I really should have mentioned that I really like this game, it was such a breath of fresh air when I initially played it, and although the facial motion capture was a little rough around the edges it did pave the way for it being implemented in plenty of future games.

Oh that and for a while after playing it, anytime someone said something bordering on bullshit, me and him would say " I think you're lying," in the best Cole voice that we can manage.

Huh! I first played it on the 360 and don't recall running into any issues like that... perhaps it's another case of the dreaded Fallout 3 anomaly?

Yeah, I really liked this game too. Definitely something a little different, and the facial motion capture blew my mind! Also always liked how savage Cole could get, and then how he'd backtrack if you didn't have evidence (like how the suspect would always say some variant of "do you have any evidence to back up this claim of yours, my good man?") and start shrinking, and his little balls would shrink with him (thank you, Bullet Tooth Tony). Enjoyed more than a few playthroughs of just being a complete ass and making a mess of the cases?

I loved the games aesthetic too, all I needed to sell the game to me as a concept, was that you were essentially playing an interactive film noir, I didn't really care if Rockstar were involved or not - probably why I enjoyed Murdered: Soul Suspect too. Although strictly speaking that one is more of a neo-noir than truly film noir.

I love the collectibles in this game - and also really dislike them too, in almost equal measure. The little film obsessed twit in me loves being able to go around and find all of the film reels and be able to say " ahh man that film was awesome" or some such. But to be honest - they feel so tacked on and pointless, outside of being a cool Easter Egg, they add literally nothing, and the cars even more so. Just busy work - I can't think of many games that needed to be open world, or have open world elements less than this one did.

Yo I've seen Murdered on sale a few times, and was always curious to take a stab at it but never bold enough to pull the trigger. If you're saying it is in fact a killer game, then I'd probably think it's to die for!

....sorry. Playing too much Hitman these days...

Seriously though, you may have just done for me with that game what Realm did for me with Beholder!

Damn you, Clarke!!

The collectibles were cool for the most part, but there was a definite drag after a while. As you said, the film reels were cool - not all that dissimilar to the ones you'd hunt down in The Godfather, for instance - but for me I really fucked with the landmarks. As a modern day Angeleno, it never failed to fascinate me to see what's still around, what used to be around, and what looks just a bit different.

The cars were the very definition of busy work!! Aw man. Plus so many look alike, and there's no way to keep track of what you've already driven. It's as if someone chimed in with "how about we take the GTA import/export side quest, but just make it infinitely worse?" and some head honcho was like "YES!! Give that brilliant man a bigger office!!" Blecchhh.

I'm glad you mentioned the hand-holding the game does. I was never a big fan of those little musical stings it gives you when you are near something, or the game gives you the "well done, have a treat" every time you find something. I'm a pretty big fan of the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games, and if they did that as often as L.A Noire likes to whenever you find something important, I'd find it so distracting. I can live with it in L.A Noire, but it does kind of make it feel a little less special when you stumble across one of the clues that are actually fairly well hidden.

I haven't seen a single episode of Mad Men, so it was only after playing it that I looked at the cast and saw so many of them had been in that show, which I thought was quite funny really.

Another awesome review though as ever man!

I didn't mind it too much, but figured that if even I noticed it, it was worthy of note. You hit the nail on the head, it could've been far more rewarding - for example if in that one traffic case, if you never find the knife in the trash, too bad, different ending. But even if you miss it, they still direct you back to find it. I'm 90% certain this was the case, and thought it was a missed opportunity - how dope would it have been if you could charge the wrong person or end up with no suspect at all, and actually lose?

Chapter 6: Convenience Store Blues

False arrests are tough... especially if they're all you seem capable of. And a guy who can't cut it as a cop anymore sometimes ends up testing the waters in a new seedy trade... like the 7/11 counter. Phelps, in his new cheap uniform and dumb hat, is struggling to perfect a frozen beverage for a guest. Maybe this is the time he gets it right....

The whole Mad Men parallel was a trip. You should try that show out! I fell off at some point in the third season, but that's just me having a bunch of crap I'm trying to keep up with rather than a comment on the shows quality, it's very well written and the presentation of the era couldn't possibly be more on point.

Thanks again, dude! Always make me happy when I can write something that entertains?

I think I might need some lessons - Oh great one!

Gun was great - at least how I remember it, it was, could be those rose tinted glasses finally kicking in though, as it's been at least twelve years since I played it last.I guess I have to at least review Red Dead Redemption at some point - so it would at least be better to do Red Dead Revolver first - and as about 60% of it is completely new to me, I'm kind of looking to that one the most. So I guess I should inflict that upon folk at some point.

You should totally get Vesperia for PS4!

Bro you and me both!

I should check the sales and see if Vesperia's still goin for ten bucks, it's happened a few times now and I feel I'll kick myself if I miss out. That's how I felt when I was too late capitalizing on the Dark Souls games, they were part of a sale and up for like ten apiece or something ridiculous, but it wasn't for the entirety of the sale and I felt like quite the dummy for now jumpin on it.

Revolver made me curious about Gun! And you absolutely should, I would love to read your thoughts on both that and Redemption. My PS3 backlog is small but fierce, with a mixed bag of games I'm super eager to play again like The Saboteur and Enslaved and games I know I will love once I get into or know I'll be super satisfied to complete like Redemption, GTA IV, and XCOM.

????

I get the backlog chills just thinkin about it!

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 2

On 24/12/2021 at 6:50 PM, YaManSmevz said:

and more than a few times I resorted to using my chin to push in the analog stick

Oof. Been there only rarely in gaming history (brings back recollections of pausing YouTube with my nose if watching/pausing something alone with finger food).

Sooo I've not played the PS2 GTA games (yeees, I know, I know).

Now that the PS4 remasters have been pulled for the most recent clayface remasters, do you recommend buying them as PS2 originals or on PS5?

• Like 1

They are clayfaced?

If you have a PS2, yes. If the PS5 version of the Definitive Edition includes the original ports, then that should be cool. But if the original ports aren't included, I can't honestly recommend the DE.

I still think that was such a shitty move to pull the originals. As Tommy Vercetti would say, "DICKS. YOU'RE ALL DICKS."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YaManSmevz said:

They are clayfaced1f62b.png

If you have a PS2, yes. If the PS5 version of the Definitive Edition includes the original ports, then that should be cool. But if the original ports aren't included, I can't honestly recommend the DE.

I still think that was such a shitty move to pull the originals. As Tommy Vercetti would say, "DICKS. YOU'RE ALL DICKS."

PS2 classics it is! ;)

All you had to do was modernise the controls, CJ!

• Like 1

Man, what a nice San Andreas write-up!

Sorry for seeing it so late xD but I can imagine how much of a hassle is to play that game with a controller. I only played San Andreas to absurd levels (100%ing the entire game) on PC and I somewhat managed to control it with a keyboard and mouse. Doing it with a controller...I can only imagine the horrors.

Still my favorite GTA to date (played all except GTA 5 on PC):D there's something about it that no other GTA games managed to replicate. Big Smoke was right all along.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Man, what a nice San Andreas write-up!

Sorry for seeing it so late xD but I can imagine how much of a hassle is to play that game with a controller. I only played San Andreas to absurd levels (100%ing the entire game) on PC and I somewhat managed to control it with a keyboard and mouse. Doing it with a controller...I can only imagine the horrors.

Thanks a lot dude, I appreciate it! I have the exact opposite impression and cannot fathom mastering it on PC, but in all fairness I operate those like Chuck Noblet uses calculators..

tumblr_m1w8lmoriF1qdibseo1_250.gif

The horror indeed!

47 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Still my favorite GTA to date (played all except GTA 5 on PC):D there's something about it that no other GTA games managed to replicate. Big Smoke was right all along.

hqdefault.jpg

In memory of BIG SMO-BLAAUUGGGHHH.

Reminds me of Samuel L. Jackson's half wheezed read of "weed," that shit kills me every time?

Agreed pretty hard on that man, as great as Vice City was and as much as I love IV, San Andreas is just built different!

• Like 2

Great writeup on San Andreas! It's a damn shame the OG PS4 version is gone in place of a playdoh-looking "remaster", I would've loved to have played the original. San Andreas' radio compared to Vice City is like comparing John Wick and Neo, they're both awesome! ? When you mentioned those minor issues with the control-scheme and lighting, I figured the new versions would be a good opportunity to improve, but we know how it turned out! Good to see that these classic games will always stand the test of time.

• Like 3

Great San Andreas review there bro!

I pretty much am in lock step with you on all points, so I'm not gonna quote a bunch of different points and turn this into a circle-jerk ?... but suffice to say - that game has som mush silliness, yet just comes together so damned well!

The one aspect that stood out just how much I agree is on the soundtrack -

On 24/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Speaking of the radio... dear fucking lord.

So i failed to specify earlier, but the game takes place in 1992. And they pull yet another rabbit out of the proverbial hat, and put together a another stunning set of licensed music that reflect the era gloriously. The rise of the House, New Jack Swing, and Alternative Rock genres, the obsession with music from the 70s, the battle between old school and new school hip-hop, emphasis on the original funk, disco, and soul music sampled in the hip-hop of the era, and they even put together a country station I found myself enjoying!

Sidenote: originally I was going to section off bits for this review, and the music segment was going to be titled "EEEAALIGATORBAITINLOOWEEZIANABAYYOOUUUU."

Just as in Vice City, San Andreas represents its era with an excellent faithfulness. Obviously I was a bit older in '92 than '86, so I remember a lot more - I remember the music, the riots, and the fashion and movies referenced - you can spot popular characters Cuba Gooding Jr. and Sharon Stone played among the NPCs for instance. Oh, and speakin of recreating movie scenes, using Free Bird and a 4+ star rating to do the ending of Devil's Rejects?1f525.png1f525.png1f525.png

Having said all that, do I think that San Andreas' soundtrack is able to top Vice City's?

No, I don't. But it's close, man. We're talking 98% and 99% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, they're both stone cold classics, full stop.

I totally know what you mean - I don't think there is ever a moment quite on par with driving from one island to another in Vice City at sunset as Atomic by Blondie is playing, in terms of pure music to visual bliss... but the sheer volume of awesome music in San Andreas is second to none.

I actually forked out for that 8-CD box set soundtrack for the game, and that was an absolute staple in my house - the KJah, Master Sounds and the PlayBack radio CDs in particular! (I'm not even close to a reggae guy, but man, that KJah CD is the closest I ever got to becoming one!)

I do think, for all that (other) folks love GTAIV, and even more folks (me included this time) love GTAV - there is something that has been lost in the modern setting - the iconic nature of the music. Both GTAIV and GTAV have good curated soundtracks, but I think it takes some distance from an iconic era to really be able to curate a soundtrack that is uniquely "of that time" and, where every track just feels like a looking at that bygone era through a different facet of the diamond.... Like... listening to Midlife Crisis while driving through San Fierro is a totally different flavour to it than listening to Slick Rick while cursing Los Santos in a lowrider, but it all coalesces into such a love letter to a time and place - it manages to make me - a kid from Scotland, feel notalgia for a time in LA that I really only know about via the OJ trial, NWA and Tupac Lyrics and watching Boyz in the Hood!

• Like 3

Platinum #42: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

The state where you never find a dance floor empty

GTA-San-Andreas-Big-Smoke.jpg

You nailed it!

Another fantastic Rockstar themed review..... Get and play Red Dead so we can have some more!!!!!! Nah don't bow to my selfish need to read more awesome Smevz flavoured Rockstar content.

I'm kind of in the same boat with Doc here (aside from liking GTA V, I'm really not very fond of that,)  where I pretty much agree with almost every point you've made, so I don't really feel like I need to pull apart every single thing you've said and quote it back to you verbatim.

Talking of the soundtrack funnily enough..... Have you ever had the idle animation where CJ is standing around and starts singing Love Rollercoaster by the Chilli's? I remember when a friend and I were playing that way back in the day the old "swapping a controller back and forth" kind of thing, and we left the game on to either look at something on my PC, or just grab a drink or something, and we heard that, and had to do a double take, as we didn't think it was real for a minute. I love that that was included in the game.

I'll pick a few out though to quote though. 

Also, San Andreas gives us a heaping helping of fan service - not of the 'peep dem ti-tays' variety, but rather the 'look at all these old characters you liked before' type. The familiar faces are charming, and are implemented well enough into the story so that they don't feel needlessly tacked on.

Yeah I loved this element too - and I agree it doesn't feel tacked on, even though it probably should. The one that caught me off guard the most I think is that Maria from GTA III makes an appearance in this game too, as she works at Caligula's, but she's only in the briefest of scenes, so she really is a blink and you miss it cameo. Yet it also kind of shows how she ended up meeting Salvatore.

I couldn't complain about older characters returning anyway, because one of my favourite missions in San Andreas is the one with Kent Paul and Maccer and the conversation they have in the car on the way back from the desert. That cracks me up so much every time I play it.

The lighting is a bit much as well.. there are moments where it's so dark that you can't tell if you're shooting at the correct gang or what a character is doing in a cutscene, and of course there's the infamous orange we were treated to for in-game sunsets. I thought this was a cool idea, but... my guy. The tech ain't there yet, let it go!

It still isn't by the looks of it - all of the interior sections in Definitive Edition are basically pitch black, so it seems more than fifteen years later we still haven't gotten the tech to actually nail that..... Well - there's that and the fact, that Definitive Edition might possibly have been made by armless Gibbons with their legs tied together, so the only way they could write the code was with their noses. 

I'm telling ya, if that was the approach they should have gone with Proboscis Monkeys

6924567_3x4.jpg

That chap has a nose you could write code with! I had an Uncle that had a nose like that too.....

Ahem...... erm....... back to San Andreas?

5 hours ago, Copanele said:

I only played San Andreas to absurd levels (100%ing the entire game) on PC and I somewhat managed to control it with a keyboard and mouse.

Damn dude! That's really impressive....... That's a pretty involved process! I've always wanted to get the 100% in San Andreas, but there's so many things in it that I don't want to do that's always stopped me, like finding every single Oyster or the Horse Shoes that are in the oddest of places!

the speculation of where (and when) the next game would take place was non-stop. Los Angeles was the first big one, and after that San Francisco. Then when I heard Las Vegas I was like okay, I'm pretty sure y'all are makin shit up at this point. ...not that that stopped me from reading everything I could find, of course.

And then the grand reveal... to this day, I still remember reading in EGM when it was confirmed that it wasn't going to be Los Angeles (oh?) or San Francisco (huh..) or even Las Vegas (yeah, that one was kinda far-fetched), but rather all three in one gargantuan state (....WHAT).

That was my feeling too - I remember the discussions in school about how the game would end up being multiple discs like the Final Fantasy games on the PS1, and so I thought..... Nah, it won't be all of those things in one game......

When I realised it actually was...... My only appropriate response was this!

red-dwarf-kryten.gif

There's so much other stuff to do too

This has always been one of my favourite things about San Andreas - there is just so much there, and very little of it really feels like filler. Or like you have to do it if you don't want to.

Like the brown streak Train missions you can do, you can completely avoid them, but the fact you can do them is pretty interesting. Same with like the Tanker Missions that you can complete, or the ones at Quarry, it's fascinating really the amount of detail that went into all of these things, that you could just completely miss if you didn't go out of your way to do them. It's a balance that not a whole lot of games tend to get right, but I think for the most part San Andreas absolutely nailed.

Again, what a cracking review - like I said, I'm hoping you jump into another Rockstar game at some point in the future, just so we can get at least one more Rockstar review....

Also....

On 17/12/2021 at 10:14 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Beyond the fact that you're under no obligation, you've gotta get in all the gaming you can - we are in a challenge after all!

Don't worry - reading your reviews or giving you feedback, will NEVER feel like an obligation, it's absolutely something I want to do.  It's just I'm a little crap at doing it promptly, so sometimes I worry I've left it too long, but I guess I can make a New Years resolution or something about that for 2022, to actually make an effort to respond sooner or something like that!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Great writeup on San Andreas! It's a damn shame the OG PS4 version is gone in place of a playdoh-looking "remaster", I would've loved to have played the original. San Andreas' radio compared to Vice City is like comparing John Wick and Neo, they're both awesome! 1f605.png When you mentioned those minor issues with the control-scheme and lighting, I figured the new versions would be a good opportunity to improve, but we know how it turned out! Good to see that these classic games will always stand the test of time.

Holy shit dude, you legit just completely hit the nali on the head with that statement.

This is honestly the best way to describe the GTA “Definitive” Edition.

Shit looks straight up like playdoh or maybe something out of those old stop motion Christmas films(not like the good ones like Nightmare Before Christmas)

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 2