Smevin's Regular, Every Day, Normal Ass Gamer Attempts at Trophy Hunting

YaManSmevz

@rjkclarke I didn't really like Hitman Absolution, I guess coming from the newer games sandbox style moving into a really linear game like this was just too jarring for me ?. Whereas in the new games you can do anything you want to set up the kills, I didn't get that with Absolution at all, just shoot them in the head quickly and run away. The only level that felt like you had choices in how you approach it was The King of Chinatown, but that was the first level in the game, to me it all went downhill from there.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

@rjkclarke I didn't really like Hitman Absolution, I guess coming from the newer games sandbox style moving into a really linear game like this was just too jarring for me 1f605.png. Whereas in the new games you can do anything you want to set up the kills, I didn't get that with Absolution at all, just shoot them in the head quickly and run away. The only level that felt like you had choices in how you approach it was The King of Chinatown, but that was the first level in the game, to me it all went downhill from there.

Got to agree with @Heather342, RJ

I'd probably be considered an "Absolution Apologist", in the sense that I actually do think it's a game that is pretty good in a lot of ways  - but none of the ways in which it is good are things a good Hitman game should do.

Absolution is actually a pretty decent, interesting 3rd person stealth game - it has a fairly compelling narrative, looks good, has a pretty solid shooting system, and has a really interesting, fairly unique 'Southern Gothic' tone that is pretty difficult to nail in media (think the early parts of From Dusk till Dawn, or the desert sections of Natural Born Killers - all rattlesnakes, sweat, blood and diesel oil)....all of which is cool -   it just isn't a good Hitman game whatsoever.

EDIT - 

Oh, and I almost forgot @rjkclarke, Absolution commits the most grievous of errors, looking back - Jane Perry does a voice, but not Diana Burnwoods! ? 

It wasn't until the new trilogy that she took over that role, and turned Diana into the sexiest mistress in videogames ?

(I think 'Jane Perry as Diana' is probably my version of your 'Keeley Hawes as Lara' - indispensable, inimitable and indisputable! ?)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Oh boy - Holy crossed wires folks, on a major level.....

I don't think I ever said that I loved Absolution or anything - just mentioned that it has a few great moments which I stick by. For what it's worth I'd put it pretty low down in my personal list of preferred Hitman games. Probably even below Hitman GO, that has a little more strategy involved ?

18 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

I didn't get that with Absolution at all, just shoot them in the head quickly and run away. The only level that felt like you had choices in how you approach it was The King of Chinatown, but that was the first level in the game, to me it all went downhill from there.

I can't really argue with that - that's the unfortunate truth of  Hitman: Absolution.  I think there's one or two of the more open levels, that don't funnel you down corridors and make you take one set route that are pretty decent - but going in the direction that they did, just didn't quite work when compared against everything else in the series up to that point.  Certainly explains why they course corrected and went back to basics with the 2016 version.

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'd probably be considered an "Absolution Apologist", in the sense that I actually do think it's a game that is pretty good in a lot of ways  - but none of the ways in which it is good are things a good Hitman game should do.

Again - you'll get no argument from me on that one.... I think Absolution is one of those titles that I'd enjoy a whole lot more if it wasn't the Hitman IP being used. I think it'd probably be better received for it anyway.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Haha - sorry mate - for some reason I read too fast, and didn't realise you had played it - though this was a pre-play situation! ??

No worries haha - yes I've played it,more than once unfortunately ? - the only one I haven't played is Hitman 3........

Although to be fair @Heather342, wasn't really suggesting I loved it either I don't think - :facepalm: just that Heather didn't...... I just didn't want people to think I was going to bat for a game I'm not particularly fond of ?

38 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Jane Perry does a voice, but not Diana Burnwoods! ? 

It wasn't until the new trilogy that she took over that role, and turned Diana into the sexiest mistress in videogames ?

(I think 'Jane Perry as Diana' is probably my version of your 'Keeley Hawes as Lara' - indispensable, inimitable and indisputable! ?)

I didn't know this though - I would assume it was her performance in Absolution that maybe made them take notice - and consider her for Diana  going forward. I mean she essentially fills a similar role in Absolution so it's possible.

Well that's certainly some high praise @DrBloodmoney - especially with that specific comparison.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

First of all, it's so nice to see you around the forums again?

Thanks brother. It's good to be a little more coherent this week and able to start shooting the breeze with everyone again!

13 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Thanks bro! I'm glad you liked it, and hope you end up peepin the new games!

I'm sure I will eventually. Backlog is becoming the final boss of video games in general at this point! I swear, we all out here adding to eachothers like crazy. Great problem to have though, so I'm not complaining!

14 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Bruh that was always such a good time, just blastin everybody??? I remember clearing out rooms and then stalking the place when guards stopped running to where I was, trying to make sure I took everybody out.

See, that's how it's done y'know. I call it aggressive stealth ?

14 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

"Shut up Diana, you're the only living person who knows how it went down. I can fix that"

??

12 hours ago, Heather342 said:

I enjoyed playing Blood Money, but the controls were not the easiest ?. Though my favourite level in that one was the opera. Switching out the prop gun for a real one and having someone else do the kill for you while you watch from the rafters. Then your other target comes running in, drop the chandelier on his head and then just mosey on outta there ?

No doubt. Rose tinted glasses and all. Exactly the reason that I've never replayed the master piece that is: Resident Evil Code Veronic X. 

Absolutely though - the variety on offer is a big appeal with Hitman. Allows for different playstyles and encourages exploration of how to murder people (bit dark when worded like that lmao ?)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Fantastic review man!

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't read this already. I should have dropped a comment last night - but I'm kind of running on fumes of fumes right now - not that that's relevant, I just thought I'd let you know why I didn't reply at the time. That's why I was dropping rep points in the thread like they were going out of fashion - I was loving all the positivity - and it was lovely to see loads thrown your way that you absolutely deserve! It was a joy to read that review man.

The moral of the story is insomnia sucks, and so does not being able to get back to sleep the minute you wake up, which is why I was a little nonplussed when I woke up at 5AM on the dot this morning!

Thanks buddy! Much appreciated as always. I'm sorry to hear your sleeping cycle is off, though! I have a lot of experience with that myself, it can be absolute hell. What'd the doctor say in Fight Club, valerian root and exercise? Crap, you're not up all night making soap, are you??

Nice to see Sapienza get shouted out - that's one of my favourite locations across all of the Hitman games - and that's pretty tough competition considering how good even some of the earlier ones from the Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money Trio - the less said about Hitman Absolution the better I think. I mean they even shit-canned David Bateson really early into the development, before the fans got understandably livid,and they had to go back on it! Or something to that effect - I can't remember the exact details 

if you go to 45 seconds into this video - you can hear who the replacement was going to be

I think he sounds like a really generic investment banker - so I'm glad that was changed in the end (sorry not sorry William Mapother). Absolution has a lot of great moments though to be fair - like there's a really cool assassination sequence with a load of - how shall I say - erm, kinky nuns?

....well, far be it from me to denounce kinky nuns.

Yo Sapienza was my shit. No map was lacking, to be clear, but Sapienza just blew me away, from its beauty to its gentle bustling quality to its versatility. I already know that the coming games will have maps to give it a run for its money, but I already know it will remain a favorite.

And yuck. He sounds so awful, I barely mad it through a few sentences!

"Ya damn right at a PPPPPPrice!"

He's freakin spitting as he speaks, makes 47 sound like a fat slob! How they could even consider changing 47's voice, much less for something like that, is baffling. Lazy, generic action shit, which leads me to -

Do you mean there's never been an attempt to make a great movie with this franchise? Because I agree with that statement if so. There's been two so far - neither of them good, and each one is pretty tough to watch for entirely different reasons - although my brother seems to really like the recent one - each to their own I guess.

I was joking about how awful that Timothy Olyphant movie was! Like I was in denial of its existence. As I was writing this I saw that a second one was made, which I was unaware of, but from what I can tell about it, the less known, the better!

11 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Should I start fearing that I live in a video game world? Because that literally happened to me a few months ago - when I was doing some hedge trimming - I really hope they didn't notice the barcode on the back of my scalp :facepalm:

I love the direction they've taken with the new series though - that freedom to just play around and have fun within the games sandbox is brilliant. I found it so easy to just get pulled into just randomly experimenting with all sorts of things - I love the fact there's like a really odd off-kilter costume in pretty much every level, that has specific fun challenges tied to them as well.

You got that point across so well - just the huge scope of everything there is to do in the game!

Yep - I had loads,some really weird A.I pathing ones as well - I had a similar one to the one you had in The Icon - except it was in Bangkok for me. I can't remember exactly which opportunity it was but it kept saying it was done - until suddenly it didn't. Strange, but I guess I can't complain too much!

Don't worry, your secret's safe with me, 47clarke!

I thought the challenges were a brilliant touch. As if there wasn't enough content already, it's such a clever way to guide you to try new things. When I was getting to level 20 in Marrakesh I saw one to dump five bodies in a well, and as silly as it was I was having a good ol time?

I wish I hadn't let the bugginess get to me, it just happens with some games, and it's really not that big of a deal. Regardless, all's well that ends well, as they say!

Awesome that @Heather342 is offering to give you a hand with the co-op for Hitman 2 - but if something comes up - I'll happily step in and give you a hand with them instead if you need them - I guess I'll just sit on the subs bench haha!

I hope you love Hitman 2 as well  (I sure as hell did,) I really want to play Hitman 3 but I just stubbornly won't let myself until I get my hands on a PS5.

Those Hitman 1 levels in Hitman 2 are fairly interesting too - I've spoken about this with Doc a fair bit, about how subtly different they play compare to how they did in the version you've just played - it's why I never quite understood why people complained about their inclusion.

Thanks man! I appreciate the support. I know I'll love Hitman 2, because I already do - I was up late playing it last night? agreed 100% about the old levels having a different feel to them, and I like how it breaks down where your points are coming from. It also somehow looks.. sleeker? Smoother? It's hard to describe, but it definitely feels like a bump up in quality.

I think you've also nudged me in the direction of my next classic review, so thanks for that. I  think I'm going to cover Hitman 2: Silent Assassin through to Blood Money next. Been a while since I've covered sequential games.

I'm off to go and pour myself a lot of coffee - and get and play Afterparty.

Yuss!! Do it! Do it!

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on those games - Silent Assassin for obvious reasons, but the rest as well seeing as I missed out on those. I'm about this man, yes!!

Also about more Afterparty, of course. But make sure you're getting your rest! Er, not to get all dad on you, haha?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Absolution is actually a pretty decent, interesting 3rd person stealth game - it has a fairly compelling narrative, looks good, has a pretty solid shooting system, and has a really interesting, fairly unique 'Southern Gothic' tone that is pretty difficult to nail in media (think the early parts of From Dusk till Dawn, or the desert sections of Natural Born Killers - all rattlesnakes, sweat, blood and diesel oil)....all of which is cool -   it just isn't a good Hitman game whatsoever.

EDIT - 

Oh, and I almost forgot @rjkclarke, Absolution commits the most grievous of errors, looking back - Jane Perry does a voice, but not Diana Burnwoods! 1f631.png 

It wasn't until the new trilogy that she took over that role, and turned Diana into the sexiest mistress in videogames 1f609.png

(I think 'Jane Perry as Diana' is probably my version of your 'Keeley Hawes as Lara' - indispensable, inimitable and indisputable! 1f602.png)

That's the impression I got from reviews of Absolution. I feel like I missed out on yhe frustration of the series not getting it right, but didn't quite get the same feeling of satisfaction when it did that the fine people who patiently waited for all sixteen years did?

Dude I actually mistemembered Diana from Silent Assassin as being Jane Perry! I just assumed she'd been doing it since then, I'm surprised that it wasn't! Just goes to show, you're absolutely right - she's indispensable, and became as much quite quickly!

7 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

No doubt. Rose tinted glasses and all. Exactly the reason that I've never replayed the master piece that is: Resident Evil Code Veronic X. 

This is why I'm so grateful for the new Hitman games - I know if I actually played Silent Assassin, I'd be mad disappointed.. but with the reboot, I can remember that game however I want, because the newer games will deliver?

• Like 4

Okay so I feel as if I ought to apologise to both @Heather342 and @DrBloodmoney for being such a defensive little weirdo yesterday - when I was all like " NO I NEVER SAID I EVEN LIKED ABSOLUTION OR ANYTHING."

Not quite sure what came over me when I did that :facepalm:

Apologies to both of you - I guess I don't really like Absolution either if my immediate reaction was to deny most of my admittedly very small amount of good will towards it. But yes, sorry about that one - won't happen again - I'll go back in my box.

On 18/11/2021 at 7:46 PM, YaManSmevz said:

Thanks buddy! Much appreciated as always. I'm sorry to hear your sleeping cycle is off, though! I have a lot of experience with that myself, it can be absolute hell. What'd the doctor say in Fight Club, valerian root and exercise? Crap, you're not up all night making soap, are you??

Too little sleep is - well, It's not the best that's for sure...... I mean if my profile picture suddenly changes to Brad Pitt and then back to Solid Snake again periodically - then I think we ought to start being worried, but for now we're all good ?

....well, far be it from me to denounce kinky nuns.

Yo Sapienza was my shit. No map was lacking, to be clear, but Sapienza just blew me away, from its beauty to its gentle bustling quality to its versatility. I already know that the coming games will have maps to give it a run for its money, but I already know it will remain a favorite.

That is an important point actually - that none of the maps were actually lacking - I like all of them in Hitman (2016) for various different reasons. Sapienza is still my favourite map from that game, and not just because it gets used the most - but because it's genuinely structured brilliantly, and it's so memorable. Plus the actual main mission there is very good..... Putting Silvio in the wood chipper/garden waste thing is so disgustingly satisfying.

Hitman 2 has a brilliant set of maps too to be fair - again for a multitude of reasons.... You're in for a treat with that one.

I was joking about how awful that Timothy Olyphant movie was! Like I was in denial of its existence. As I was writing this I saw that a second one was made, which I was unaware of, but from what I can tell about it, the less known, the better!

I think that is best - that we all deny the existence of the Timothy the Elephant (Great name for a childrens book ?) version..... I suspect that version is better than the new one though.... The recent one they essentially turned 47 into slap-head Neo from the Matrix, but also recycled some of the plot points from Absolution - so it committed two major film sins at once. 

I thought the challenges were a brilliant touch. As if there wasn't enough content already, it's such a clever way to guide you to try new things. When I was getting to level 20 in Marrakesh I saw one to dump five bodies in a well, and as silly as it was I was having a good ol time1f604.png

I never did that Marrakesh one for dumping the bodies in a well... Did you manage to do it? I always wanted to try it, because I couldn't really figure out how to do that without immediately alerting an army of guards. I guess that's half the fun though right. I ought to try it when I play HItman 3 actually, that'd be another excuse to attempt it.

I did one where you have to get loads of coins and throw them into a dudes bowl that I think was in Marrakesh, that was quite a fun little one to attempt.

Thanks man! I appreciate the support. I know I'll love Hitman 2, because I already do - I was up late playing it last night1f604.png agreed 100% about the old levels having a different feel to them, and I like how it breaks down where your points are coming from. It also somehow looks.. sleeker? Smoother? It's hard to describe, but it definitely feels like a bump up in quality.

I did see you playing that when I woke up yesterday and booted up my PS4, before I realised I was probably too tired to make use of it..... I figured if it's 5.15Am for me, it's probably like midnight for him, and you were on for a good while after that - but I get it, that game hooks you in pretty much instantly.

Have at it man - and enjoy the experience - I pretty much enjoyed 99% of my time with Hitman 2 - the 1% I didn't was how long you had to wait for some of the challenges in the Sniper Maps, but I understand why they are like that - the actual pathing and A.I scripts for those maps is incredibly well done.

Yuss!! Do it! Do it!

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on those games - Silent Assassin for obvious reasons, but the rest as well seeing as I missed out on those. I'm about this man, yes!!

Also about more Afterparty, of course. But make sure you're getting your rest! Er, not to get all dad on you, haha ?

I'll aim to get Silent Assassin done today - and then we'll go from there haha

I might try and finish at least my first playthrough of Afterparty today, I'm seriously slacking with that one.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Okay so I feel as if I ought to apologise to both @Heather342 and @DrBloodmoney for being such a defensive little weirdo yesterday - when I was all like " NO I NEVER SAID I EVEN LIKED ABSOLUTION OR ANYTHING."

Not quite sure what came over me when I did that :facepalm:

Apologies to both of you - I guess I don't really like Absolution either if my immediate reaction was to deny most of my admittedly very small amount of good will towards it. But yes, sorry about that one - won't happen again - I'll go back in my box.

Hey, nothing to apologise for, it's all good ? I was just throwing my opinions around again about why I didn't like Absolution. Wasn't asked for, I know, but didn't intend for the discussion to take a turn.

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Putting Silvio in the wood chipper/garden waste thing is so disgustingly satisfying.

If you like that, there's a few kills in Hitman 3 that'll be right up your alley. Particularly in the Mendoza level ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heather342 said:

Hey, nothing to apologise for, it's all good 1f60a.png I was just throwing my opinions around again about why I didn't like Absolution. Wasn't asked for, I know, but didn't intend for the discussion to take a turn.

Phew, that's good then. Those are completely understandable reasons to dislike Absolution too, ironically ones I agreed with, I just reacted like a dope.

You should absolutely continue to throw your opinions around too by the way. I'll make sure not to react like a complete nimrod next time. It's completely on me for acting like a tool.

4 hours ago, Heather342 said:

If you like that, there's a few kills in Hitman 3 that'll be right up your alley. Particularly in the Mendoza level ?

Must fight urge to purchase Hitman 3 haha! :lol:

I mean, I was impressed by the extreme nature of some of the stuff you could do in Hitman 2 as well - so I can imagine the third only takes that to even greater heights. I love the stuff you can do with the Hippo in Hitman 2 in Santa Fortuna - that's another disgustingly satisfying one right? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Heather342 said:

A personal favourite of mine was setting up the train kill in Mumbai 1f605.png

Ooooh good shout - especially that brutally satisfying cutscene you get. That just looks absolutely devastating. So many great ones in that second game.

One of my personal faves as far of any of the recent games  was the one you can do in Hokkaido in Hitman 1 (well and 2 and 3 I guess, ?)  it's really simple, but really well done, where you go into Soder's operating theatre in the classic Silent Assassin: Glove and Tie look - and it only works in that specific outfit. Just the sight of you gives him a massive heart attack. That was a great little hidden challenge I thought. Made 47 look absolutely badass.

Well just remembering those was enough to make me want to go and install Hitman 2 again - to have another play in those sandboxes. Might have to clear some room on my PS4! ?

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 6:00 AM, rjkclarke said:

I think that is best - that we all deny the existence of the Timothy the Elephant (Great name for a childrens book 1f605.png) version..... I suspect that version is better than the new one though.... The recent one they essentially turned 47 into slap-head Neo from the Matrix, but also recycled some of the plot points from Absolution - so it committed two major film sins at once. 

I never did that Marrakesh one for dumping the bodies in a well... Did you manage to do it? I always wanted to try it, because I couldn't really figure out how to do that without immediately alerting an army of guards. I guess that's half the fun though right. I ought to try it when I play HItman 3 actually, that'd be another excuse to attempt it.

I did one where you have to get loads of coins and throw them into a dudes bowl that I think was in Marrakesh, that was quite a fun little one to attempt.

I did see you playing that when I woke up yesterday and booted up my PS4, before I realised I was probably too tired to make use of it..... I figured if it's 5.15Am for me, it's probably like midnight for him, and you were on for a good while after that - but I get it, that game hooks you in pretty much instantly.

Have at it man - and enjoy the experience - I pretty much enjoyed 99% of my time with Hitman 2 - the 1% I didn't was how long you had to wait for some of the challenges in the Sniper Maps, but I understand why they are like that - the actual pathing and A.I scripts for those maps is incredibly well done.

I never responded to this, how rude of me!

That movie sounds atrocious, and I'm glad I hadn't even heard of it until now. The only way that could be worse is if they cast William Mapother as Agent 47!

I actually did dump five bodies down the well! I just went headshot, hide behind well, and repeat until people stopped coming. At that point, as I'm sure you can imagine, I had more than enough bodies available to dump for the challenge?

Oh yeah, I'm always up late. If you ever meet a bartender who says they aren't a night owl, that isn't a bartender, it's 47 and you need to get out of there immediately.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to get crackin on those Sniper challenges...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Game of the Month

The Witness continues to blow my damn mind. Poor @GonzoWARgasm had to deal with the brunt of my frustration with The Challenge, but besting that has set me off on a journey that finds me seeing even more dots and lines all over the place. Can't wait to write about it, but I don't think it would be the right thing to do until I find the real ending - the actual end initially felt like a slap in the face, but quickly switched to feeling like the game telling me "that's not it bro, keep digging." So keep digging I shall.

How is the postgame treating you? 

Rating the Month

I didn't hit either of my goals, but I got a lot done. I pitched a no-hitter, completed a certain challenge, and re-established that I am in fact the mayor of Sapienza. Trophies per day went up, and I not only gained five levels but made it into the 80% completion club. Not to mention the great quality of games played - Wolf Among Us and Red Dead Revolver were omitted not because they weren't perfectly fine games, but just cuz there was already so much good shit to talk about!

Bro this is a big month!! Good for you!

Gaming Hitlist

My profile is relatively young, two years old at the end of this month, and as such I've yet to take two years or more to finish a game, a trend I'd really like to continue. Looking at the earliest pages of my trophy log, I see there are three games I started in January of 2020, which are therefore automatically being added

Love this. Excited to hear your thoughts on Arkham Asylum after obtaining the platinum (I find that the mastery of combat systems like this as required for trophies greatly improves the overall enjoyability, as opposed to mashing X on lower difficulties).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Heather342 said:

@YaManSmevz my sniper rifle is ready to assist you for Hitman 2 1f601.png

I'll be hittin you up soon? good lookin out! And speakin of good lookin out, thanks for the tip, cuz I finally bought Alien Isolation! Hopefully I won't wake my wife up when I'm playing it in the middle of the night?

4 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

How is the postgame treating you? 

Yo it's somethin else. I haven't played much since I was last talking to you about it, but I'm ready for another round. There's a few more I found but can't get the angle right, need to get back to those. You were right, it's not quite as intimidating as I thought it would be. I've got a weird dichotomy going of wanting to take my time (it's served me well thus far) but hurrying up so I can write about it already!

4 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Bro this is a big month!! Good for you!

Love this. Excited to hear your thoughts on Arkham Asylum after obtaining the platinum (I find that the mastery of combat systems like this as required for trophies greatly improves the overall enjoyability, as opposed to mashing X on lower difficulties).

Thanks, man! And agreed 100% - that's what elevates it above just mindless fun.

cUvCqhO.gif

The thing I'm most hype for is definitely when the combat system really clicks with me - it's already so fun as it is! I think I'll take up the good doctor's advice and slap on Parappa the Rapper for a bit before diving back in?

• Like 2

Platinum #4: Bully

I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

BULLY-SE-16-X9-V03.jpg

Released in the dying days of the sixth generation, Bully (or Canis Canem Edit outside of the states) serves as a triumphant exclamation point on Rockstar's blistering PS2 run, and in my eyes is as much a great game as it is a victory lap for the publisher. Bully followed a five year period including three GTAs, two Max Paynes, two Midnight Clubs, Manhunt, Red Dead Revolver, and The Warriors, and it has a piece (or in the very least a lesson learned) from all of them.

When this first came out, I remember (like many) wondering if it was going to merely be a teenaged GTA. It reminded me of the (excellent) film Brick from the previous year, which was, in fact, a teenaged take on a more adult concept, but it didn't take much actual playing time to see what oversimplified nonsense that was where Bully was concerned.

There's a great universality to Bully in how it tackles the teen experience. Class, social drama, hobbies, and just generally seeking mischief are handled in such a way that it gives a sense of authenticity to the story without feeling like a maudlin attempt to overdose the players on nostalgia. The game really takes off once the town of Bullworth becomes fully available to explore, getting to see both what your classmates do in their free time and the townspeople going about their day, which gives the small town a great living, breathing feel. This also really helps a lot towards giving you that feeling of being the new kid in a new town (there's the new kid, beat him down!).

The story is fun and engaging, broken up neatly into themed chapters, based on which of the cliques you'll be confronting, as well as where you're at in the school year, with seasons being used to marvelous immersive effect. It moves a bit slowly at first, as since you are a student, you have to spend a large chunk of your time in class. These are a great excuse for the game to flex not only its mini-game prowess, but the light RPG elements inherited from San Andreas. Finishing the classes earns you skills and weapons that come in handy as the game progresses, and the games are largely pretty fun, with the word game for English class being a personal favorite.

The characters hit that sweet spot where they're not super deep, but aren't exactly shallow either. Jimmy is a great protagonist, with fun wisecracks and an attitude that does border on eye rolling at times, but for the most part manages to stay relatable. There aren't any slouches in the cast at all really - main antagonist Gary is delightfully sociopathic, while more one note characters like the drunken Mr. Galloway, or slovenly lunch lady Edna never failed to get a laugh out of me. Even after the several playthroughs I've done!

The gameplay is the smoothest yet that we'd seen from Rockstar - the brawling from The Warriors and customization of San Andreas in particular are cleaned up and implemented superbly. Probably the lone con to this aspect of the game is that the camera angles still aren't quite where they should be, but this is where that critique starts to feel nitpicky, as there is a clear improvement here from the last few games.

Touching on the mischief again, there are so many dumb, fun things you can do. Long before there was a trophy for it, every night before I went to bed I'd pull the fire alarm, just because I thought it was funny to collapse into bed while everybody ran crazily in the hall. I always imagined at least a few of the guys in the dorm would hear the alarm going off and just think "oh, Jimmy's home."

Beyond giving wedgies or swirlies, dropping marbles, throwing stink bombs or even latching onto a car on your skateboard like you're Marty McFly, there is a litany of things to do outside of the game's story itself. Boxing, go-karts, bicycle races, carnival games, video games, mowing lawn, shoveling snow, making deliveries, taking yearbook pictures, learning fighting moves from a hobo, destroying lawn gnomes, playing with soccer balls, basketballs, dodge balls, baseballs, slingshots... there's a lot! The countless mini-games are as fun as they are varied, and a prime example of the Jack of All Trades, Master of None trope not necessarily being a bad thing!

Across the board everything is in the very least above average, but one point where Bully absolutely excels is its audio. The voice work is solid, with not a weak performance in the bunch, but this is primarily a result of Shawn Lee's outstanding score. Funky bass, bluesy guitars, and that ever-present glockenspiel (I'm fairly certain that's what it is at least) with the occasional 80s worshiping synths give the game such a playful, light hearted atmosphere that it just feels lovable from the jump. To this day, I hear anything off of this soundtrack and it just brings a smile to my face. It's also dynamic as hell - it's a more common thing now, but the music gains and drops layers based on whether you're on foot or not, if conflict arises, even when you start get tired in the later hours.

A shame that Rockstar kinda sorta did him dirty with the GTA IV theme?

Bully feels like the culmination of everything Rockstar did right in the preceding half decade, and tackled yet another new type of story with flying colors. Looking at where they were here, I can't help but look at the fat, lazy publisher they've become, gouging players with lackluster quality control, forgetting that they once pushed themselves to their creative limits with each new release.... it's depressing, man.

Rockstar, man... you used to be cool.

THAT Trophy: N/A

That's right, this is that rare game where try as I might, I couldn't come up with a trophy that gave me more trouble than the rest. Everything was fun, and uh... yeah, that's that on that.

Edited by YaManSmevz
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

Platinum #4: Bully

I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

BULLY_SE_16X9_V03.jpg?h=256

Oh Yeah? 

Well don't get so distressed....

...did I happen to mention that I'm impressed?

?

Released in the dying days of the sixth generation, Bully (or Canis Canem Edit outside of the states) serves as a triumphant exclamation point on Rockstar's blistering PS2 run, and in my eyes is as much a great game as it is a victory lap for the publisher. Bully followed a five year period including three GTAs, two Max Paynes, two Midnight Clubs, Manhunt, Red Dead Revolver, and The Warriors, and it has a piece (or in the very least a lesson learned) from all of them.

When this first came out, I remember (like many) wondering if it was going to merely be a teenaged GTA. It reminded me of the (excellent) film Brick from the previous year, which was, in fact, a teenaged take on a more adult concept, but it didn't take much actual playing time to see what oversimplified nonsense that was where Bully was concerned.

Man I remember that furore about "GtA iN a sChOoL!!1!" driven by the Daily Mail reading gammons back then - the shite that led to me having to learn what Canis Canid Edit meant!

It was such a load of tosh - like the Brass Eye Paedo-geddon episode uproar before it - entirely driven by people who not only didn't actually seek out or experience the product, but didn't even have an understanding of the medium it was playing in, had no sense of humour, and for the most part, were either disingenuously playing to a right-wing gallery, or so stupid they couldn't find a map with a fucking map.

ps. I loved Brick too! What a flick!

There's a great universality to Bully in how it tackles the teen experience. Class, social drama, hobbies, and just generally seeking mischief are handled in such a way that it gives a sense of authenticity to the story without feeling like a maudlin attempt to overdose the players on nostalgia. The game really takes off once the town of Bullworth becomes fully available to explore, getting to see both what your classmates do in their free time and the townspeople going about their day, which gives the small town a great living, breathing feel. This also really helps a lot towards giving you that feeling of being the new kid in a new town (there's the new kid, beat him down!).

The story is fun and engaging, broken up neatly into themed chapters, based on which of the cliques you'll be confronting, as well as where you're at in the school year, with seasons being used to marvelous immersive effect. It moves a bit slowly at first, as since you are a student, you have to spend a large chunk of your time in class. These are a great excuse for the game to flex not only its mini-game prowess, but the light RPG elements inherited from San Andreas. Finishing the classes earns you skills and weapons that come in handy as the game progresses, and the games are largely pretty fun, with the word game for English class being a personal favorite.

The characters hit that sweet spot where they're not super deep, but aren't exactly shallow either. Jimmy is a great protagonist, with fun wisecracks and an attitude that does border on eye rolling at times, but for the most part manages to stay relatable. There aren't any slouches in the cast at all really - main antagonist Gary is delightfully sociopathic, while more one note characters like the drunken Mr. Galloway, or slovenly lunch lady Edna never failed to get a laugh out of me. Even after the several playthroughs I've done!

I loved this stuff - the tone they hit in Bully is so pitch-perfect, like some sort of unholy amalgam of Revenge of the Nerds and Shameless!

They somehow manage to hit every cliche character of teem movie, but give them just enough of a slant as to make them interesting every time, and feel part of this world!

The gameplay is the smoothest yet that we'd seen from Rockstar - the brawling from The Warriors and customization of San Andreas in particular are cleaned up and implemented superbly. Probably the lone con to this aspect of the game is that the camera angles still aren't quite where they should be, but this is where that critique starts to feel nitpicky, as there is a clear improvement here from the last few games.

Touching on the mischief again, there are so many dumb, fun things you can do. Long before there was a trophy for it, every night before I went to bed I'd pull the fire alarm, just because I thought it was funny to collapse into bed while everybody ran crazily in the hall. I always imagined at least a few of the guys in the dorm would hear the alarm going off and just think "oh, Jimmy's home."

Beyond giving wedgies or swirlies, dropping marbles, throwing stink bombs or even latching onto a car on your skateboard like you're Marty McFly, there is a litany of things to do outside of the game's story itself. Boxing, go-karts, bicycle races, carnival games, video games, mowing lawn, shoveling snow, making deliveries, taking yearbook pictures, learning fighting moves from a hobo, destroying lawn gnomes, playing with soccer balls, basketballs, dodge balls, baseballs, slingshots... there's a lot! The countless mini-games are as fun as they are varied, and a prime example of the Jack of All Trades, Master of None trope not necessarily being a bad thing!

I remember loving so much about the way the game played at the time of release, though I must admit, when I played the remaster, time hadn't been kind to those controls and mechanics. I still had a great time, but I did wonder whether my nostalgia was helping or hurting...

...would I be able to see past the rough mechanics, if I didn't have the baked-in nostalgia to rose-tint my glasses, or is the fact that I remember it so fondly actually making it feel rougher when faced with the reality in a modern context? :hmm:

It's the main reason I really wish Rockstar would do a new Bully, more than GTA or RDR, I would be first in line. 

I really do think Bully is probably the best game Rockstar ever made - no.2 is the Warriors, and no.3 would be Red Dead Redemption. It's actually gizzard to think that a game I love as much as San Andreas isn't even in that top 3 :blink:?

Across the board everything is in the very least above average, but one point where Bully absolutely excels is its audio. The voice work is solid, with not a weak performance in the bunch, but this is primarily a result of Shawn Lee's outstanding score. Funky bass, bluesy guitars, and that ever-present glockenspiel (I'm fairly certain that's what it is at least) with the occasional 80s worshiping synths give the game such a playful, light hearted atmosphere that it just feels lovable from the jump. To this day, I hear anything off of this soundtrack and it just brings a smile to my face. It's also dynamic as hell - it's a more common thing now, but the music gains and drops layers based on whether you're on foot or not, if conflict arises, even when you start get tired in the later hours.

A shame that Rockstar kinda sorta did him dirty with the GTA IV theme1f614.png

Bully feels like the culmination of everything Rockstar did right in the preceding half decade, and tackled yet another new type of story with flying colors. Looking at where they were here, I can't help but look at the fat, lazy publisher they've become, gouging players with lackluster quality control, forgetting that they once pushed themselves to their creative limits with each new release.... it's depressing, man.

?

Rockstar, man... you used to be cool.

?

Great write up man!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh Yeah? 

Well don't get so distressed....

...did I happen to mention that I'm impressed?

1f601.png

??

For real though, that first album was sooo good!!

42 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Man I remember that furore about "GtA iN a sChOoL!!1!" driven by the Daily Mail reading gammons back then - the shite that led to me having to learn what Canis Canid Edit meant!

It was such a load of tosh - like the Brass Eye Paedo-geddon episode uproar before it - entirely driven by people who not only didn't actually seek out or experience the product, but didn't even have an understanding of the medium it was playing in, had no sense of humour, and for the most part, were either disingenuously playing to a right-wing gallery, or so stupid they couldn't find a map with a fucking map.

I think it was an easy assumption that was immediately thrown out the window once you actually, y'know played the game! That's part of why I didn't bother talking about the controversy this game courted... those people clearly never bothered to play it either! Someone legit called this game a "Columbine simulator." Like you dumb motherfucker, he's using a damn slingshot! This isn't Dylan Klebold, he's at worst a post-pubescent Dennis the Menace!

48 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I loved this stuff - the tone they hit in Bully is so pitch-perfect, like some sort of unholy amalgam of Revenge of the Nerds and Shameless!

They somehow manage to hit every cliche character of teem movie, but give them just enough of a slant as to make them interesting every time, and feel part of this world!

Agreed! They nailed the whole coming of age thing, with just the right amount of satire. Not a single thing felt overdone or disingenuous, a very hard thing to do with ANY medium!

51 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I remember loving so much about the way the game played at the time of release, though I must admit, when I played the remaster, time hadn't been kind to those controls and mechanics. I still had a great time, but I did wonder whether my nostalgia was helping or hurting...

...would I be able to see past the rough mechanics, if I didn't have the baked-in nostalgia to rose-tint my glasses, or is the fact that I remember it so fondly actually making it feel rougher when faced with the reality in a modern context? :hmm:

It's the main reason I really wish Rockstar would do a new Bully, more than GTA or RDR, I would be first in line. 

I really do think Bully is probably the best game Rockstar ever made - no.2 is the Warriors, and no.3 would be Red Dead Redemption. It's actually gizzard to think that a game I love as much as San Andreas isn't even in that top 3

I think I've played it enough over the years that I didn't notice the controls being rough - multiple times on the PS2, then again on the 360, and it was one of the first games I got deep into on my PS4. If I tried it again now though, who knows... I might have a similar experience!

My guess would be the memories making you think it was smoother than it actually was - I'm experiencing that with San Andreas now, I remembered the camera angles handling so much better, and playing it now I'm like "wait, no... it wasn't like this!! WHAT IS THIS TREACHERY!!"

Part of me is still on board with a Bully remaster, or Bully 2, but with the state Rockstar is in these days, I just wouldn't trust it?

Even with the rude awakening I've gotten with SA, I still gotta go San Andreas, Bully, then Warriors, all of which with a pretty slim margin.

However, in all fairness I still have Red Dead Redemption in my backlog?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

1f60e.png1f44a.png

For real though, that first album was sooo good!!

Soundtrack to my entire school experience right there! 

I think it was an easy assumption that was immediately thrown out the window once you actually, y'know played the game! That's part of why I didn't bother talking about the controversy this game courted... those people clearly never bothered to play it either! Someone legit called this game a "Columbine simulator." Like you dumb motherfucker, he's using a damn slingshot! This isn't Dylan Klebold, he's at worst a post-pubescent Dennis the Menace!

If I recall correctly, the right wing press were still reeling from having been stung already - there was a fake vidogame that one of the magazines has done a "preview" of for April Fools, with 'realistic' graphics, where you just stalked and killed innocent people in suburbia (basically, that shitty PC game Hatred, but First-Person, fake, and obviously a goof) that the Daily Mail had thought was real, and had written a slew of "Oh, God, think of the Children!!1!" articles about before they got made to look like tits - so they were desperate for anything real to go after.

(II wish I could remember the name of the fake game - I want to say "Slayer"? but I think I have that wrong, because I can't find it with Google! - or the mag that ran the joke (it was a short-lived attempt at combining FHM with videogames, so basically games-n-boobs, and was pretty shit.)

Agreed! They nailed the whole coming of age thing, with just the right amount of satire. Not a single thing felt overdone or disingenuous, a very hard thing to do with ANY medium!

I think I've played it enough over the years that I didn't notice the controls being rough - multiple times on the PS2, then again on the 360, and it was one of the first games I got deep into on my PS4. If I tried it again now though, who knows... I might have a similar experience!

My guess would be the memories making you think it was smoother than it actually was - I'm experiencing that with San Andreas now, I remembered the camera angles handling so much better, and playing it now I'm like "wait, no... it wasn't like this!! WHAT IS THIS TREACHERY!!"

Part of me is still on board with a Bully remaster, or Bully 2, but with the state Rockstar is in these days, I just wouldn't trust it1f614.png

That might be true - to be honest, at this point, I'd probably like it better if they gave that IP to someone who makes narrative games but gameplay-forward-style - a Monolith or a Remedy or someone like that, maybe?

Even with the rude awakening I've gotten with SA, I still gotta go San Andreas, Bully, then Warriors, all of which with a pretty slim margin.

However, in all fairness I still have Red Dead Redemption in my backlog1f62c.png

Red Dead is still a great game - though I never ended up getting RDR2 after a dude I know who loved the first one even more than me was crushed after playing it, and basically told me to steer clear!

• Like 1