Xbox One: Fastest selling console of November!

HowIPendragon

Microsoft is at it again.

Instead of telling us how many vowels people have shouted at their Kinect sensors since launch, Microsoft has tried to counter the news of the PS4's obvious lead so far (http://tinyurl.com/m93at38) by using the magic of statistics. Microsoft has spun the sales figures of next-gen consoles to make it appear as if they're making significant waves in the industry.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/npd-xbox-one-is-the-fastest-selling-console-in-november-and-call-of-duty-leads-software/1100-6416696/

If you don't want to click that, basically Microsoft is stating that in North America they have sold an average of 101,000K Xbones per day for the month of November (keyword). This would technically make it the "fastest-selling" console of November 2013. How you ask?

Let's break that down:

101,000K Xbones per day * 9 days (Nov 22 - Nov 30) = 900,000K sold in NA

Now let's look at Sony's figures.

Let's say ~1.2M PS4s sold in NA in November.

1.2M/16 days (Nov 15 - Nov 30) = 75,000K PS4s sold per day.

See what they did there?

They're basically using the fact that Sony got a one week head-start on them as an ADVANTAGE to rig the numbers in their favor.

PS4's 1.2M gets stretched over half a month's time while the Xbone's almost equivalent amount of sales are only calculated based on just half that time, inflating their sales rate and creating the illusion of record-breaking sales figures, taking a page out of Apple's statistics text book.

The levels of embarrassment I'm feeling for Microsoft are off the charts.

Edited by rsoto1125
  • Like 2

xD XD i can picture an xbox fan boy book marking this and saving it untill the next xbox comes out. 

ps4 is the obviosly winning right now, selling millions out of the starting gate, something that no console has ever done in the first month (console master race) 

however i dont want to crown the winner of this contest. this holiday ps4 and xbox one will sell only as man consoles as they can make. 

• Like 1

Actually their statement isn't false, fasted selling is different to highest selling. 

It's just marketing fluff, although if Sony don't get their act together, MS will have the fastest and the highest sales in December, as Sony can't pump out the PS4's quick enough - with Christmas around the corner, MS may believe santa came early this year

• Like 1

If Sony was able to fullfill all the pre-orders they would have much higher sales, probably more than double. But as stated above, they cant produce them quickly enough. I dont know the situation in the states but here in europe the second shipment still has to come and consists of pre-orders only. After that you get the people ( like me ) who did not pre order and want to pick it up in a store when it becomes on stock in a bundle or something. It will continue to sell through december and january this way.

What microsoft did is a bit lame but they aren't entirely wrong. They used the fact that the month ends on 30th november and the count restarts december 1st. However, the ps4 had a better first day. And microsoft is ignoring the fact that they launched in some big european countries right away while sony had only from 29th in europe.

After some time we will see who comes out on top. Could still change, ps3 took a long time to beat the 360. Comes down to software, price, total package and advertising i guess. I will get a ps4 as soon i see one in a nice bundle. I hope second half december but i think it will be 2014.

This is invalid in another way; worldwide sales figures do not come into place. They're basically saying this:

"We have the fastest selling console in North America, in November!

Sony hasn't really been into it when it comes to stocking up consoles in NA specifically. Microsoft has been all over that though. Long story short, it's hard to find a PS4. Xbox One on the other hand...

Edited by blue_flare9001