Save data FPS issues

Ducktardy

I havnt encountered any yet and I'm not sure if it's a prevalent issue in Skyrim, however I tried to 100% Fallout New Vegas in the past and encountered an issue where my game would drop below 2 fps due to my save file being large.

Has anyone experienced this issue in Skyrim?

Is this something that I need to worry about?

I don't remember ever having FPS issues (beyond what was there from the start ?‍♂️) and my Save was like 130 Hours or something by the time I got the Plat, that was on my Old Account btw which isn't linked to PSNP so you'll have to take my word for it... Never had the FPS Issue in New Vegas come to think about it but I often played through multiple Saves/Characters without going for "100%" in those games so I dunno

The last time I played Skyrim on the PS3 was back in 2014. Played it probably 3 times, and I always had fps and loading screen issues after the 40 hour mark. At first its fine, no problems at all, but the longer I played, the worse the fps got, loading times were several minutes long (sometimes even up to 10min) and the game became unplayable, it just wasn't fun anymore. I'm not sitting around for ten minutes everytime I load a save because I got caught pickpocketing, or because of a dumb wizard in a cave that one shots me etc.
That's also why I'll probably never platinum Skyrim on the PS3 even though I love the game. I have the EU version maybe there's a difference between the different regions.

Outside of some very rare occurances (3 times in my 50+ hours of playing) I've had moments where loading screens would take 10+ minutes but I assume it's some kind of bug because every time it's happened it's been a very lenient loading screen.

Breezehome to whiterun for example.

What happened in FNV made the game completely unplayable and I'm reaching the end of the platinum so to speak for Skyrim and I'm worried I'll be met with the same unplayable disaster.

• 1 year later...

I read somewhere else that if you disable all autosave options right from the start and just stick to manually saving, it'll prevent this from happening later on in the game. 

If you have all the autosave options on then your game is constantly autosaving which leads to the save data file getting big which ultimately cripples the game down the road because it can no longer process all that data without sacrificing practically all your frames just to keep up. 

I discovered users talking about this when I was researching my own separate save data issue. My game wasn't saving at all unbeknownst to me at the time and I ended up losing hours of progress. Luckily, it was right at the start of the game so it didn't take me all that long to rush back through the game to where I was. 

My issue was I overwrote my initial prisoner save file at the very start of the game that I started years ago and apparently that completely bugs the game out if you do that. I had to delete everything and start over from scratch and now it appears to be fine and is saving progress correctly. 

Both of these issues are pretty notorious for both Skyrim and Fallout on PS3 but if you don't do your research beforehand (which you wouldn't think to do) then you wouldn't figure it out until it bites you in the ass after you've already committed 50-60 hours into the game. I do recall having the framerate issue in New Vegas near the end of my playthrough, it was literally single frames. Talk about game-breaking. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Wasn't there some way to 'clear' up the world, something about waiting 30 in game days? which in turn reduced the save file size.

Not on PlayStation. FO and TES on the platform doesn't clear up the world like it does on PC and Xbox. It's why you have to kind of finish your runs at 8 gigs saves before they become insufferably long with the loading screens.

• 2 months later...

just platted this on ps3 and I definitely felt the game get slower the more I played. However I wonder if part of it is the ps3 overheating. I have mine in a pretty well ventilated area, and whenever I would quit due to low FPS when I came back it was improved dramatically for a few hours.

The worst thing about this version is the load times though. It almost turns the game into a metagame of figuring out how you can do everything while going through the least amount of loading screens. Each loading screen is about a minute long, so if you're going to attempt this I recommend you bring your phone and browse social media every time you have to go somewhere. Thieves Guild is especially bad about having to go through these

• 7 months later...

Just revisiting this game to clean up the 100%

Using Legendary Edition on a save file that's at 14mb & 130hrs played - it is horrendously slow outside of dungeons, anywhere where there's a lot of particle effects makes my game chug badly, averaging 10fps if I'm lucky, ordinarily hovering around 2 or 3fps

Similarly to FO3 and NV on PS3, the game doesn't clear its cache; everything you've done and visited is loaded in the background, even if it's on the other side of the map

• Like 1