Remote PSN account deactivation - activtion number downgrade to 2 coming soon

Maitre

PlayStation Network users are able to change the activation setting through each device, and Sony Computer Entertainment plans to provide a new PlayStation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

• PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.
  • PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/04/upcoming-change-to-playstation-3-and-psp-game-content-on-playstation-network/

What is the purpose of activating your PS3? I've never activated mine and everything I've bought to this point has worked fine.

thats how you get stuff that you DL off Store to work...if you de-activate it, you lose all the DLC you have...also, if you dont, you cant use your account for much

Am I the only one who has activated my PS3? Haha. :rolleyes:

I always wanted to, but when I tried to embrace the life of a console gamer (ie. get my first next-gen console) I went through a bit of a period where I kept switching between PS3 and 360. Wasted a bit of time and money on those experiments, but I think I made the right decisions in the end. But I didn't want to do something that felt so confining as "activating" my console... especially since having an unactivated console doesn't seem to be stopping me from doing anything.

Since then, I've just forgotten about it lol.

When you first set up your psn account it activates that account for use with that system (i'd imagine) additional activations of different accounts is generally when you use another log in rather than setting a new account up. That may explain the confusion with some thinking they never have activated but have downloaded from the store.

If you mean registering with sony's website with the console serial number then that is something entirely different and not linked.

When you first set up your psn account it activates that account for use with that system (i'd imagine)

You are correct about that.

At one time, you had to manually activate your console, but not any more. Once you set up your PSN account, the console(s) under that account are automatically activated.

ok, i got a question: will this reset out activation counts across all PS3s?

cuz...one of my accounts got stolen by a friend, and he let a bunch of his friends use it...then my PS3 YLOD'd, and i had to get new one...and it was activated 5 times, so i couldnt get my stuff...and i kinda been too lazy to call.

so, does this mean im finally in luck?

At one time, you had to manually activate your console, but not any more.

I don't know about that one. I had the original 80GB and I never had to activate my account manually. I'm pretty sure they were always activated by default.

cuz...one of my accounts got stolen by a friend, and he let a bunch of his friends use it...then my PS3 YLOD'd, and i had to get new one...and it was activated 5 times, so i couldnt get my stuff...and i kinda been too lazy to call.

I don't think so. Only items purchased after November 18th will be limited to two devices, so those people that have your account will still be the ones with the access. After the 18th, new items purchased I imagine will only work for the first two consoles, while the rest get the boot.

However, if you really want your account back, you can call Sony and ask them to reset it. I've heard stories of people doing that successfully. They'll give you a stern finger wag though.

well the remote deactivation might help ... yes

i dont really understand this. they say it will be applied for stuff you have purchased after november 18... so is there going to be a patch on november 18 that enables you to only have 2 systems activated? or you will be able to share the stuff you bought before november 18 with 5 systems, but stuff bought after november 18 will only be able to be shared with 2 systems?