Games getting more and more boring?

gerardNL0

i've been playing games every since i was around the age of 5( pokemon) been trophy hunting for a while now, with a nice little collection op 100s/platinums. played alot on the PS1 and PS2 etc. but since a couple of weeks now i've just been bored with games.

plus they dont really excite me as much as they used to, the only game im still pumped about is Battlefront 3. 

is it me or are games just getting more boring? dont get me wrong i love alot of the newer games such as gta V uncharted 3 etc. 

but i just cant get into any games anymore.. for example i loved borderlands, but now i have borderlands2 (ps plus) got 1% of the trophys and im like meh.  maybe im just growing out of it ( i dont mean that in a way that games are for younger people) idk. 

but does anybody else have the same feeling about the games nowadays?

It's because you're growing up and you already know things around you, when i was a kid everything was new to me, every single dialogue or joke was amazing and funny because i've never heard it before, now a days it's like... eh... i saw this on another game or movie.

Just try another genre and let it blow your mind!

Why not try a genre you've hardly played before?

Try something completely new.

Right now I'm playing SO4 which has an average of 400-1000 hours invested in it.

It's such a great change from FPS all the time.

Plus, I'm sure most of us have went through phases where we didn't want to play games.

I know I have.

Right now I'm playing SO4 which has an average of 400-1000 hours invested in it.

Plus, I'm sure most of us have went through phases where we didn't want to play games.

I know I have.

SO4 is a great game but that huge grind might make him bored again lol

I know I have.

i have been playing a JRPG ( ni no kuni) and i am not enjoying it at all lol. 

playing some SC blacklist atm, i always loved stealth games, they are just so rare nowadays.

ill just wait till bioschok is free for ps plus and ill play that :) game seems pretty good. 

you guys got any good games you recoment? no RPG( as i do not have the patience for them haha) ?

Ni No Kuni bored the shit out of me, so I can relate. But it was a nice change of pace and I stuck with it to the end.

I'm relatively easily bored and have a tendency to jump from game to game without accomplishing anything. I'll also take a month or two off gaming once a year to clear my head and to rebuild my enthusiasm when I find it's more chore than fun.

I'm closing in on 42 and have no plans to "grow out" of gaming - having multiple interests and a balanced lifestyle helps to keep it fresh. I use Trophies (and this site in particular) as a reminder to revisit games that I want to complete but got side-tracked for one reason or another. Setting trophy goals keeps me pushing forward and my gaming and sense of satisfaction has improved out-of-sight since I started hunting for Plats.

I guess my point is if you don't enjoy it, do something else until the passion comes back and use trophies to help keep you on track.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 4

Ni No Kuni bored the shit out of me, so I can relate. But it was a nice change of pace and I stuck with it to the end.

I'm relatively easily bored and have a tendency to jump from game to game without accomplishing anything. I'll also take a month or two off gaming once a year completely to clear my head and to rebuild my enthusiasm when I find it's more chore than fun.

I'm closing in on 42 and have no plans to "grow out" of gaming - having multiple interests and a balanced lifestyle helps to keep it fresh. I use Trophies (and this site in particular) as a reminder to revisit games that I want to complete but got side-tracked for one reason or another. Setting trophy goals keeps me pushing forward and my gaming and sense of satisfaction has improved out-of-sight since I started hunting for Plats.

I guess my point is if you don't enjoy it, do something else until the passion comes back and use trophies to help keep you on track.

with trophies/ achievements nowadays gaming does feel like a chore to me. i bet alot of people can agree with me on that

with trophies/ achievements nowadays gaming does feel like a chore to me. i bet alot of people can agree with me on that

They're a double-edged sword, without a doubt. Trophies do at times feel like a dick-waving contest and they can place unnecessary pressure to complete a game while sucking the fun out of it in the process. 

But that's also the kick up the arse I need to keep me motivated. As a result, I've been able to go back to non-trophy games to play them just for fun AND complete them, which I rarely did before achievements hit the scene.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

playing some SC blacklist atm, i always loved stealth games, they are just so rare nowadays.

ill just wait till bioschok is free for ps plus and ill play that :) game seems pretty good. 

you guys got any good games you recoment? no RPG( as i do not have the patience for them haha) ?

Get The Last of Us. It'll get you excited for gaming again! It has elements of 3rd person shooters, horror games, and stealth games. I also second the OKAMI HD nomination. That game is probably in my top 20 games of all time and to be honest, I wish I could play it over and over and over again for the trophies! They're not a chore and they add to the experience of the game!

^exact reason why I stopped giving a damn about my completion percentage, rarity, and number of platinums! I was into trophy hunting for a while, but I realized it takes the enjoyment out of the game instead of enhancing the experience! That's why now I only go for platinums that I find enjoyable!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Get The Last of Us. It'll get you excited for gaming again! It has elements of 3rd person shooters, horror games, and stealth games. I also second the OKAMI HD nomination. That game is probably in my top 20 games of all time and to be honest, I wish I could play it over and over and over again for the trophies! They're not a chore and they add to the experience of the game!

the last of us is a game i still need to play and i really want to, but its still 60 bucks over here. also im seeing that okami has alot of positive reviews, next time i have some money i will check it out!

Although I wouldn't say that games are getting more boring, I do believe that the constant sequels to anything that sells half well really is creating a few issues.

So far I have also found BL2 'same old' - the artwork is slightly different and it would seem more polished so far, but I cannot help but feel nostalgic about the first game, rather than thoroughly enjoy the second.

The games industry is healthier than it has ever been, but at the same time can be compared to the film industry. You get a few 'original' films that are gems hidden by most of the 'blockbusters' with infinitely more money than actual story, lets face it, Michael Bay can't even manage a 5 minute speech without a prompt.

In games you get more explosions, less story, because explosions sell on adverts.

But don't let that bring you down, the games industry (and some great devs) does know how to pull their finger out and bring out some real gems still :)

• Like 2

I go through blimps where I don't feel like playing anything now and again, but usually after about a week or so I get the enthusiasm back. I do like to play a variety of genres so I can keep my gaming experiences varied thus reducing any potential boredom. I guess it's normal to get burnt out if you play games often though and it wouldn't do any harm to take a break and see how you feel later.

i've been playing games every since i was around the age of 5( pokemon) been trophy hunting for a while now, with a nice little collection op 100s/platinums. played alot on the PS1 and PS2 etc. but since a couple of weeks now i've just been bored with games.

plus they dont really excite me as much as they used to, the only game im still pumped about is Battlefront 3. 

is it me or are games just getting more boring? dont get me wrong i love alot of the newer games such as gta V uncharted 3 etc. 

but i just cant get into any games anymore.. for example i loved borderlands, but now i have borderlands2 (ps plus) got 1% of the trophys and im like meh.  maybe im just growing out of it ( i dont mean that in a way that games are for younger people) idk. 

but does anybody else have the same feeling about the games nowadays?

It's unfortunately true. In PS1&PS2 era there was a lot of amazing games and in this PS3/PS4 era it's a lack of imagination and innovation and rarely there is some really good game like it was on ,almost all the time, on PS1/PS2 era, especially PS2 era.

Back on the PS2, platformers were my genre. They were all I played (with a bit of Burnout in between)

Now, platformers are way too rare, and I've branched out to a bunch of genres - because I have no choice.

The lack of certain genres (I've heard Horror games are rare too) is harming gaming, imo, and should be addressed on the PS4.

(R.I.P puzzling Tomb Raider, hello Uncharted: Tomb Raider)

Games are just easier than they were way back when, which is one of the biggest reasons why they're boring. In the vast majority of games these days, you're spoon-fed everything. There's no real challenge, and in most games you either don't have health, or can just stand around and have it regenerate. Because of stuff like that, you don't feel as accomplished when you do something, which diminishes the enjoyment of the game.

There's also the fact that as you get older, you're more experienced. So, you see the same puzzles and game types a lot.

And finally, it's also because gaming has become a lot more formulaic. Way back when, designers didn't have any kind of blueprint when making games. They just had to think up ideas and hope they worked. These days, there's formulas that are taught and constantly reused by developers.

Edited by ExHaseo

• 1 month later...

Yeah most games are repetitive, japanese games now on days lack of entertainment (don't know if you say it like that) but yeah that's why I'm trying to play american USA games like The Last of Us and I just have to finish the survivor mode to get the platinum but to be honest yeah I agree with you

As far as trophies go, I disagree that they suck the fun out of games: for me, trophies made me want to complete games in a way that I only very rarely used to, so I'd say that for me they enhance the fun instead of ruining it. Having said that, I only plat/100% games that I care about, so I never play them BECAUSE of the trophies, but to fully enjoy games that I like. I would never have gotten so good on Uncharted 1 if it weren't for the trophies for instance.

On the topic of games getting boring, it's all about perspective. If they seem boring to you nowadays, you're just losing interest in them, which can happen in any area of your life -- you can lose interest in anything. I used to listen to music all the time and always search for new bands and all that, but I've grown less and less passionate about it. I still listen to music, of course, but it's not so central in my life anymore. Maybe that will also happen to games one day: if it does, there's really not much one can do about it. Just enjoy them while they still seem meaningful to you: if the passion is gone, move on or only play them when you really feel like it.