Have I stumbled upon something here?

Cryogenicide_X

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If read through the patent, it has nothing at all to do with PS3 emulation. It’s more like controlling the apu clock speed to run older software that depends on running at a locked processor speed. 

I am aware that the patents fine text doesn't scream out, "HEY I MADE THIS PATENT AND IT SPECIFICALLY WORKS FOR PS3" but the part I find pertinent is the mention of fine grain frequency control, which is aligns with the nature of the SPUs processing in CELL's broadband chip. Before this one, Cerny has made a bunch of patents which describe running legacy software at fixed clock speeds but none of them mentioned anything about fine grain control. Which the PS5 doesn't need for PS4 emulation.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 2

I would freak if they figured out an actual way to emulate without streaming.

If its just merging ps3 titles on the store for streaming I will be bummed but not surprised. I have the fastest internet available in my area and still can't get a stream playable with PSNow. ?

• Like 1

As much as I'd love full PSN BC to finally be a thing, I'm doubtful. A selection of games yes, anything like we're dreaming for no.

It all depends on a lot of factors. The PSNs framework is held together by Dozer sticks and prayers, they've been talking about redoing the whole thing for as long as WoW has for it's framework. This would be a large undertaking, but would provide a simpler way to allow full PSN access. And what it all really comes down to is money. If there is no money to be made, they probably aren't going to bother with it. Will half a million players suddenly having access to all their PS3 stuff sell Sparticus subs and move hardware? If yes, this suddenly becomes worth working on.

But speculation is fun, so the few Vita games people are finding means Sparticus functions as PSTV. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eraezr said:

I am aware that the patents fine text doesn't scream out, "HEY I MADE THIS PATENT AND IT SPECIFICALLY WORKS FOR PS3" but the part I find pertinent is the mention of fine grain frequency control, which is aligns with the nature of the SPUs processing in CELL's broadband chip. Before this one, Cerny has made a bunch of patents which describe running legacy software at fixed clock speeds but none of them mentioned anything about fine grain control. Which the PS5 doesn't need for PS4 emulation.

Fine grain control could be key to fixing the small number of PS4 games that are buggy/don't work as intended on ps5 though. I just feel a patent for ps3 BC would be slightly more explicit that this is.

Just want to say I was the first one to call this being a glitch related to the original rental pricing of PS Now, and now it's been covered in a video by Mystic who essentially says the same thing and features @Cryogenicide_X's OP in his video

2 hours ago, TalalHmd said:

What is Sparticus?

codename for the service that will replace PS Now or combine both PS Now and PS Plus in someway, not all the details are known yet.

Edited by I-SilentEcho-I
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:32 AM, DaivRules said:

Here’s my wild speculation on what we are seeing here:

I think Sony might experiment with allowing digital access to some PS3 games through a store purchase that gives access to stream a single title indefinitely, using the same custom PS3 servers that PS Now uses, but without needing to pay for the whole PS Now subscription. I don’t see this expanding to PS3 disc backward compatibility. I’m also sketchy on this Plus and Now merger offering. I can see it replacing some Now subscription offerings, but I only see it expanding Plus offerings. 

I wonder how that would effect people like me who cant play any ps3 game on psnow on my account because of "trophy errors" on every game? It's been like this for years with no fix despite calling Sony frequently (even pre pandemic). Maybe if people could continually buy and refund a game because it didnt work Sony would actually do something about it lol.

8 minutes ago, SpaceIsDandy said:

I wonder how that would effect people like me who cant play any ps3 game on psnow on my account because of "trophy errors" on every game? It's been like this for years with no fix despite calling Sony frequently (even pre pandemic). Maybe if people could continually buy and refund a game because it didnt work Sony would actually do something about it lol.

I would hope there wouldn’t be any people like you who have a trophy error that can’t just be resolved so you don’t have a trophy error.

My post was wild speculation, but in relation to your question, I was thinking Sony could just integrate that PS3 game purchase directly into the PS5 OS so there wouldn’t be a launch of a separate Now service, which is what I’m assuming the error is caused by. I don’t think anyone from Sony would be monitoring the purchasing and refunds of those games and make the weird connection that it has to do with people having a trophy error that Sony seem to be denying exists if I’m reading your post correctly.

Logic points towards this being a glitch anyway (possibly a bad lookup value/parameter when displaying objects in the store), but it would be cool to see Sony try to innovate a bit more in a way that doesn’t take away from what already exist. 

18 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Sony doesn't want to have to keep ps3 store up, it cost them money, if they are gonna have to keep it up for a minority group that still plays on ps3, they might as well figure out how to allow the majority of Sony players be able to buy Ps3 titles in the long run. I personally think even if backwards compatible is out of the question they can make it where bought digital ps3 games can be played thru a stream, IF you have a PS5.

Sooooo what PSNow does.

2 hours ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Unless that has changed recently I don't think so. I am talking about every ps3 title I had bought digitally should be playable thru stream not just what are on the list.

Sorry, I read something about streaming PS3 games and didn't notice that you also said all PS3 games you already have. 
Streaming PS3 games look like PSNow to me. Never really came across any information about playing all the PS3 games you already own though.