Nintendo considering Smart Phones

Dr_Mayus

Nintendo boss Saturo Iwata has admitted the company is considering "a new business structure," which may involve branching out into the mobile arena it has shunned for so long.

After the company revised its 2014 Wii U sales forecast from 9 million to an unspectacular 2.9 million, the CEO suggested that it may be time for a change.

With Wii U games sales new predicted to hit just 19 million units, rather than the previously estimated 38 million, Iwata seemed to indicate that change could be on the horizon.

"We are thinking about a new business structure," Iwata told a news conference in Japan, while hinting the company is exploring the possibility of touchscreen handheld devices.

Studying...

Nintendo has long dismissed the possibility of launching versions of popular franchises like Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong on smartphones and tablets, largely through fears of watering down its top earners.

Now, with the company expected to post an annual lost of 35bn yen ($335m / £205m), Nintendo may finally ready to relent and answer the clamour for Mario and Link on iPhone, judging by Iwata's forlorn comments

"Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone," he said.

Could sharing Mario with a wider audience put Nintendo back in the spotlight? Or would opening up it's famous franchises beyond Nintendo hardware be an admission that Nintendo's on the way to becoming the next Sega? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-to-finally-embrace-smartphones-and-tablets-to-revive-fortunes--1216453

This could be good or bad but in my opinion Nintendo has very strong portable sales with the ds/3ds so this would muddy that water, while it would provide more revenue it could also take away sales from the 3ds.

Hmmm.

This could be very detrimental to Nintendo since most people buy their consoles for their IPs.  I don't understand wanting to explore Smart Phones when the 3DS is doing phenomenal.  Shouldn't attention be focused on the home console market or increasing their online capabilities?  Nintendo is quirky though, who knows what they have up their sleeve?

Considering that the 3DS was the top selling device of 2013, I find this to be a rather bad game plan.
At the same time, they're paying hefty royalty fees on each 3DS sales due to the most recent court decision, hence pushing the 2DS to sell for them to maximize profits.

*sighs* They're not exactly in the best of positions, while they could arguably have been more favorable than most.

I highly doubt they will. It would piss off too many loyal Nintendo fans and give casuals even less of a reason to buy a 3DS/Wii U. Reggie and Iwata have both said that they would never get into mobile gaming and I really hope that they stick to that. If they do, well... my already dwindling faith in Nintendo will be torn to shreds. 

Nintendo doesn't need a new business structure, they need new management. Badly. 

One of their biggest problems is their failure to create new and exciting IPs. I know we joke about it but it is a serious thing when they have released, between the WiiU and 3Ds, 5 Mario games (well 4 and a luigi game) and 3 of them play the exact same way. That isn't even including the spinoff games as well so add those in and you are at a dozen Mario games on systems that are a year and 2 years old. There are 3 or 4 Zelda games on the 2 systems and at least 4 Pokemon games as well.

Now Nintendo fanboys will buy up everything Nintendo makes but they are turning a lot of their customers a way. People like myself (who grew up hardcore Nintendo fans) don't buy their stuff anymore and all those casual gamers that made the Wii a success don't want another paperweight in the house.

So where does that leave you Nintendo? Those cows are looking pretty dry and that horse, while not dead, is in danger of expiring.

• Like 1

People like myself (who grew up hardcore Nintendo fans) don't buy their stuff anymore and all those casual gamers that made the Wii a success don't want another paperweight in the house.

Couldn't have said it better myself  :P I've had my Wii U for over a year now and I am extremely underwhelmed. The occasional Wii U exclusive that I'm drooling to play may come around sometime (hasn't yet), but until then, it will continue to sit around doing nothing. Just like the Wii. Sigh. 

If this is true then Nintendo is going to end up like Atari, since Atari after the Video game crash of 1983 tried to go PC but failed and then went back to consoles by releasing Atari 5200 which was supposed to be released instead of Atari's PC so Atari was now behind in Video game Consoles Market and it would never regain it's glory as the Legendary Super Console ever again, So if Nintendo leaves the Consoles market just for Smart Phone and then ends up failing and then comes back to consoles but by that time Nintendo would be behind Playstation or Xbox or a new company consoles......but that is only if it's True

I hope they don't try to get into the mobile market, that would really destroy them. The 3DS is what's really keeping them afloat, and there are definitely people out there who wouldn't pick up a 3DS if they could just play Nintendo games on their phone. They need to focus on their consoles. They're playing a game with the Wii U that ended almost 10 years ago. They need to create a modern console. One that is comparable to the PS4 and X1 in terms of specs so that can actually play 3rd party games, has some kind of achievement system, and just an overall better online experience. Honestly, I've argued for months now that if the Wii U had introduced an achievement system it would have increased sales. There's very few people who are willing to buy a game without achievements when they have the option to buy it with achievements. That's one of the reasons 3rd party support is garbage. People won't buy Ninja Gaiden on Wii U when they can play it on their PS3 with trophies. Even people I know who aren't trophy/achievement hunters prefer to buy games with achievements.  And seriously, their online is garbage. I still don't know how to add anyone to my Wii U friends list, let alone actually play online with anyone. They need to spend some serious time with their competitor's consoles and make a new console that's comparable to them, or at the very least update the Wii U OS to be comparable. They could still easily add an achievement system and create a better online experience. Especially since there aren't too many people with the Wii U yet.

I highly doubt they will. It would piss off too many loyal Nintendo fans and give casuals even less of a reason to buy a 3DS/Wii U. Reggie and Iwata have both said that they would never get into mobile gaming and I really hope that they stick to that. If they do, well... my already dwindling faith in Nintendo will be torn to shreds. 

Nintendo doesn't need a new business structure, they need new management. Badly. 

They also said the Wii U would have tons of third party support and, well, you can see what happened there...

Parker