Say whatever's on your mind...

Dreakon139

I've always found it amusing that people can stand on their pedestal and say using a game save is cheating even if you used your own save due to a technical difficulty, simply because there's no proof that they're not using someone else's save; yet every single one of us, me included, who has participated in a boosting session is guilty of cheating in the strictest definition of the word, because we didn't earn those multiplayer trophies in a competitive environment. Throwing a competition in return for a tit for tat gain will get you in a metric fuckload of trouble in other circles. The splitting of hairs is surreal to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

I've always found it amusing that people can stand on their pedestal and say using a game save is cheating even if you used your own save due to a technical difficulty, simply because there's no proof that they're not using someone else's save; yet every single one of us, me included, who has participated in a boosting session is guilty of cheating in the strictest definition of the word, because we didn't earn those multiplayer trophies in a competitive environment. Throwing a competition in return for a tit for tat gain will get you in a metric fuckload of trouble in other circles. The splitting of hairs is surreal to me.

How is boosting cheating? You are earning the trophies in a competitive environment, you meet the criteria that the trophy/trophies require of you perfectly fine, the only difference is that the competing team is throwing the match, which the game itself allows them to do, it's part of the mechanics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madbuk said:

How is boosting cheating? You are earning the trophies in a competitive environment, you meet the criteria that the trophy/trophies require of you perfectly fine, the only difference is that the competing team is throwing the match, which the game itself allows them to do, it's part of the mechanics.

5 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Throwing a competition in return for a tit for tat gain will get you in a metric fuckload of trouble in other circles.

19 minutes ago, madbuk said:

This isn't "other circles" though is it? In football you're not supposed to kick the ball at people. In dodgeball, you're supposed to throw balls at people.

Boosting a trophy is like a sports "fix". I throw the match and it gets me a gambling pay out for myself. Except here, my gambling payout is the expectation that my opponent throws his match to give me the same trophy. That is the very spirit of cheating, a method every single participant here and elsewhere has oddly rationalized to their self as okay.

4 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Boosting a trophy is like a sports "fix". I throw the match and it gets me a gambling pay out for myself. Except here, my gambling payout is the expectation that my opponent throws his match to give me the same trophy. That is the very spirit of cheating, a method every single participant here and elsewhere has oddly rationalized to their self as okay.

Sorry but i highly disagree. Most Online trophy say "win a match online mode" or similiar.  They dont say "win a match against an opponent that is doing his best and try to beat you".  So when you boost a trophy called "win an online match" than you 100% fulfill the trophy requirements. You take easy route but its still not cheating.  Loading a save is getting trophys without fulfilling the requirements.

If a dev wants you to earn an multiplayer match without boosting than they add ranked mode which makes it most of the time impossible.

You cant call boosting cheating as long as you fulfill the trophy requirements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xionx said:

Sorry but i highly disagree. Most Online trophy say "win a match online mode" or similiar.  They dont say "win a match against an opponent that is doing his best and try to beat you".  So when you boost a trophy called "win an online match" than you 100% fulfill the trophy requirements. You take easy route but its still not cheating.  Loading a save is getting trophys without fulfilling the requirements.

If a dev wants you to earn an multiplayer match without boosting than they add ranked mode which makes it most of the time impossible.

You cant call boosting cheating as long as you fulfill the trophy requirements. 

No, I disagree. PvP multiplier by it's simple existence is meant to be competitive. Hence the "v", which means "versus", a Latin word whose definition is "against". If you earn a multiplayer trophy meant for a PvP environment where your opponent makes a tacit agreement to give you a situation that works to your immediate benefit, you are both breaking the intent of PvP and are by the most technical definition of the word, cheating. Cheating that we've all agreed by consensus is okay, but cheating nonetheless.

Just now, damon8r351 said:

No, I disagree. PvP multiplier by it's simple existence is meant to be competitive. Hence the "v", which means "versus", a Latin word whose definition is "against". If you earn a multiplayer trophy meant for a PvP environment where your opponent makes a tacit agreement to give you a situation that works to your immediate benefit, you are both breaking the intent of PvP and are by the most technical definition of the word, cheating. Cheating that we've all agreed by consensus is okay, but cheating nonetheless.

You still play against an other player . so PvP only say you play against other player.  When he gives up or not is his decision. If there is an agreement or not, your opponent decides to give up or he fights back.

I know you love to hear/read yor self talking , but you can dismantel "multiplayer" "online " or "pvp" as much as you want , it never means it has to be seriose competetiv match. Thats why there is ranked or tournament modes.

But just because you put so much energy in explaining me what pvp stands for i explain it for you again.  If you get the trophy "win an pvp match" boosted , than it still was a match player against player .  The other side would be pve . So in the end pvp only means you play agains real other player . multiplayer means it has more than 1 player , and online i dont have to explain.

So in the end every trophy called "win an online match " or "win 10 pvp matches"  never says it has to be competetiv in form of every player has to play with intetion to win.

"you are both breaking the intent of PvP " that are YOUR intention or YOUR interpretation of the trophy.

• Like 1

Just now, Xionx said:

You still play against an other player . so PvP only say you play against other player.  When he gives up or not is his decision. If there is an agreement or not, your opponent decides to give up or he fights back.

I know you love to hear/read yor self talking , but you can dismantel "multiplayer" "online " or "pvp" as much as you want , it never means it has to be seriose competetiv match. Thats why there is ranked or tournament modes.

But just because you put so much energy in explaining me what pvp stands for i explain it for you again.  If you get the trophy "win an pvp match" boosted , than it still was a match player against player .  The other side would be pve . So in the end pvp only means you play agains real other player . multiplayer means it has more than 1 player , and online i dont have to explain.

So in the end every trophy called "win an online match " or "win 10 pvp matches"  never says it has to be competetiv in form of every player has to play with intetion to win.

"you are both breaking the intent of PvP " that are YOUR intention or YOUR interpretation of the trophy.

We can agree to disagree then.