Is a future of whitelisted offline mp trophies ever possible?

HankValentine

Instead of auto-popping the MP trophies for older games maybe Sony (this will not happen I know that) could do a patch that removes all closed server mp trophies. This would only effect trophies that are NOT earned. If you have said MP trophies then you would keep them but if someone started the game recently then those trophies would not appear for them.

34 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

So look. As a guy myself who has a bit of an issue with 100% OCD myself I certainly have a sympathetic ear to your plight.

I understand how you feel on this one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, enaysoft said:

But that will remove the trophies for people who already earned them legitimately though...

I still think sites should just move them to a legacy category. They would still be there but not counting for completion %. Platinum would be unobtainable as well but at least you could 100% what is available and not have a 60-80% haunting you. Multiplayer focused games should remain as is, but there are some games with like 1-4 online trophies that can't be obtained. I mean obviously people think of MP with something like DBD so I wouldn't argue if it shut down in a month its my own fault. But take a game like Lollipop Chainsaw. It is still 100% available to achieve right now but it has 1 online trophy which is uploading records to a leaderboard. I mean no one looks at that game and even thinks online or any sort of multiplayer yet there is one required. Hitman Absolution has a few online trophies that require downloading special contracts. The server shut down. I wouldn't consider that MP. I agree it's not clear cut what games should have this treatment and what shouldn't but this would be my solution. 

I don't agree with hacking or giving out free stuff but I think my solution would work well. I guess my opinion is unpopular but oh well as has been said it is unlikely anything will ever change about this.

• Like 1

It would be nice if games on here could be flagged as unobtainable due to either glitches or online servers no longer active. I think Husky did something like this on PSNP+?

That would be a massive benefit in itself.

Based on that I guess there then comes the question. "If I've earned every trophy possible except for unobtainable trophies do I have 100% completion". Those trophies that aren't obtainable no longer exist, so should they count towards completion if I haven't earned them?

If you agree with that then maybe you can have a 100% profile, instead of including unobtainable trophies as unearned trophies, take those out of the completion percentage.

You could hover over the Completion percentage and it read something like

99.53% - Obtained

00.47% - Unobtainable

Just a thought, I made peace with unobtainable trophies years ago, so I'm not that fussed anymore.

Edited by FawltyPowers
  • Like 3

Ok let me give my take on this.

I personally think that multiplayer trophies are a great addition to this hobby because encourages you try modes or play the game in a way you wouldn’t normally have.

Like RE5 versus for example, yes the mode kinda sorta sucks(mostly due to the ultra tryhards) but man I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t one one of the most unique completive mp modes I’ve ever played.

Im probably only saying this cus I actually did them all legit on release(both 360/ps4)

But non the less they are good memories.

Or like my time in Street Fighter 5, I played maybe close to 800 matches or something crazy.

So many close fights on there and just a general good time(lots of salty rage of course tho)

So yeah removing mp trophies or auto popping them would be a insult to those earning legit, but it also is limiting you from new and possibly interesting/fun experiences.

I think some ppl on this site really need to take a step back and stop trying to control every little thing when it comes to your profile.

You'll start enjoy this hobby just a little more.

My 2cent.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ApeOfMazor said:

I don't agree with hacking or giving out free stuff but I think my solution would work well. I guess my opinion is unpopular but oh well as has been said it is unlikely anything will ever change about this.

I hate EZPZ games and auto popping, but hey, those are legitimate ways to earn trophies now, it's a bitter pill that many of will have to swallow. I have to deal with that, as much as I'd like for something to do be done about, but it's impossible. Times are changing and we all have to move on with the times.

Your opinion is only unpopular because it's actually worse then above two, because you're literally trying to change reality and in theory rewrite that has happened in the past.

The word "Legacy" is reserved for things that are outdated, unused or replaced by something else. Trophies earned in the past are history now and as such, history cannot be rewritten.

I totally agree with you though, online tropies suck, I hate them and it sucks that platinum trophies are broken forever when the server goes down.

However...

They are now fact! We can't have a two tier reality just because people are late to the party. Honestly, just play the games on a separate account. I don't know why you aren't, or don't want join in on the most important. And that is of course being able to play the games, which you can do. And right now. Sure it sucks you can't play online or get any trophies. Life is harsh and actually this is a very first world non problem.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, Helyx said:

So, OP wants a site that only tracks PS3 trophies (because PS4 and PS5 sTaCkS have ruined the leaderboard), and also wants that new leaderboard to allow cheated multiplayer trophies?

This thread is soaked in bad ideas.

I'll happen eventually, you'll be free to not use the site. It's all subjective in the end. I think stacks have ruined the trophy hunting. It's destroyed the nature of xbox achievements more so. But it's still destroyed high plat accounts. I used to be impressed back in the day when I stumbled upon a 100 plat account (2013 or so) now I find a 500 plat account, it's usually 470 spam plats, so now these accounts mean nothing. I used to enjoy them. The golden era so to speak has well and truly passed.
What's funny is If the developer literally patched the list to remove MP trophies or took out for example 4 previously mp trophies out of the list. Suddenly the plat is legit again. 
It's funny, I'm just for them being on a persons list if they choose to have that game. The game in its entirety not counting towards the leaderboard, no harm done? 
I cannot see why anybody is against that as it, at that point, literally effects nobody. 

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is a giant slap in the face to anybody who put time and effort towards getting any online trophies that were more than just simple participation awards.

You might as well automatically hide games that are unobtainable on your profile because of shut servers. That's practically the same thing as whitelisted offline multiplayer trophies. You can just move on to other games where you can earn the trophies at your own pace and maintain that 100% account with ease.

Hiding the games is a million times easier than having a bunch of online trophies in old games suddenly removed because somebody decided they should be obtainable again.

I've done max payne 3, hours and hours of doing that. Guess what? If someone hacked it and popped it on their own account or if the devs patched those trophies, I'd be all for that and I'd be nothing but happy for other players, now able to get those trophies.
Same for injustice, when those servers go down, the mp is a gross grind, but I'd be happy for the new players now able to get it. 
This isn't about me. 

22 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Can you spare some integrity for the hobby? 

Integrity died ages ago with autopop plats in 1 second and $1, 1 minute plat stacks. There is no integrity here lmao. 
Take Mortal kombat vs DC, if you pop the MP trophies via jailbreak and did the offline trophies legit. That requires more skill and more time, getting that illegitimate than what is required for 100 plat'n'stacks on ps4/5. 

3 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

It would be nice if games on here could be flagged as unobtainable due to either glitches or online servers no longer active. I think Husky did something like this on PSNP+?

That would be a massive benefit in itself.

Based on that I guess there then comes the question. "If I've earned every trophy possible except for unobtainable trophies do I have 100% completion". Those trophies that aren't obtainable no longer exist, so should they count towards completion if I haven't earned them?

If you agree with that then maybe you can have a 100% profile, instead of including unobtainable trophies as unearned trophies, take those out of the completion percentage.

You could hover over the Completion percentage and it read something like

99.53% - Obtained

00.47% - Unobtainable

Just a thought, I made peace with unobtainable trophies years ago, so I'm not that fussed anymore.

Great idea, from what I can tell from other users here; nothing on this site will ever change anyway. So it'll take new and passionate web developers to make something greater. Regardless though, that's a good idea. 

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

I hate EZPZ games and auto popping, but hey, those are legitimate ways to earn trophies now, it's a bitter pill that many of will have to swallow. I have to deal with that, as much as I'd like for something to do be done about, but it's impossible. Times are changing and we all have to move on with the times.

Your opinion is only unpopular because it's actually worse then above two, because you're literally trying to change reality and in theory rewrite that has happened in the past.

The word "Legacy" is reserved for things that are outdated, unused or replaced by something else. Trophies earned in the past are history now and as such, history cannot be rewritten.

I totally agree with you though, online tropies suck, I hate them and it sucks that platinum trophies are broken forever when the server goes down.

However...

They are now fact! We can't have a two tier reality just because people are late to the party. Honestly, just play the games on a separate account. I don't know why you aren't, or don't want join in on the most important. And that is of course being able to play the games, which you can do. And right now. Sure it sucks you can't play online or get any trophies. Life is harsh and actually this is a very first world non problem.

Saying it is rewriting history is very dramatic and honestly just wrong. It isn't rewriting anything and you either didn't comprehend or failed to read what I said. This is exactly the system World Of Warcraft uses for their achievements. Unobtainable goes to the "feat of strength" section. Call it whatever you want if "Legacy" doesn't work. Your work doesn't disappear. New players don't have to worry about achievements they can never get. Never heard any complaints about it and it doesn't hurt anyone. I think peoples tunes may change years down the line as more and more games get hit with unobtainable. And really no shit its a first world problem, but we are on a site about collecting trophies and achievements so that's what we are talking about. 

I have no idea why you are bringing up the grand scheme of life in this. We're on a site about trophies and achievements so that's what I am discussing. Things can always improve and change instead of throwing our hands up.

i feel it is best the way it is , why ? because maybe one day some coding wizard will revive the servers(unofficially) even if its unlikely and 

1) folks that want them after the officials shutdown can have them(but have to meet the requirements still)

2)the folks that put the work before are still recognized 

3)folks that don't care about trophy hunting benefit too by proxy

if you whitelist, you remove the incentive and like others said, why boosting for x hours if i can auto pop them down the line ?

i don't know anything about coding but i would prefer we keep the sprit of trophy hunting intact  no matter how much i want the trophies i can't get because i was to late 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pot1414 said:

I also have one game with unachievable online trophies and moving those to a "legacy" category to pretend that I have 100% wouldn't make a difference because i would still know that it's a lie.

It's like hiding trophies and having a fake 100% account

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, pot1414 said:

Your solution is punishing people who have already finished those games though. I have finished plenty of games whose servers have now closed so why would you punish me for removing them from my completion? I also have one game with unachievable online trophies and moving those to a "legacy" category to pretend that I have 100% wouldn't make a difference because i would still know that it's a lie. You can hide from reality all you want but that doesn't change it.

It's not punishing anyone. Your trophies are still there. You can show them to your mom or whoever. What this is punishing is people who got a game late. The solution is simple and nothing is lost. Would it make you happy to have 110% or 115%. It's just ridiculous to count an achievment that can no longer be achieved. 

7 minutes ago, ApeOfMazor said:

It's not punishing anyone. Your trophies are still there. You can show them to your mom or whoever. What this is punishing is people who got a game late. The solution is simple and nothing is lost. Would it make you happy to have 110% or 115%. It's just ridiculous to count an achievment that can no longer be achieved. 

In the post you quoted I never claimed that I would lose my trophies. I asked why would you punish me by removing them from my statistics. And no it wouldn't make me happy to have 110% because it's stupid. I repeat what i said in my previous post since you didn't get it the first time.

"I also have one game with unachievable online trophies and moving those to a "legacy" category to pretend that I have 100% wouldn't make a difference because i would still know that it's a lie. You can hide from reality all you want but that doesn't change it. "

Edited by pot1414

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

If it "effects nobody", then why the push for having the feature?

A whitelist was discussed as a means to forgive players who were unjustly hacked in games like GTAV or Blops, not for people who deliberately cheated trophies or to make a few people feel better about having an incomplete list due to unobtainable multiplayer trophies.

Currently, if someone is flagged for a game, they're not counted towards the leaderboard anyway.

I still support the idea of a rarity leaderboard, but that wouldn't stop people whining about yet another feature. For now, everyone gets to moan about regional stacks, EZPZs and auto-pops, but if a rarity leaderboard was ever added to the site, those same people would start bitching about easy ultra-rare trophy accounts. I've just accepted that there's people that won't be happy regardless, because they refuse to put in the time/effort/money into this hobby and instead want a participation award to validate their profile.

It's ok to not be high on the leaderboards. It's ok to not have 100% completion in all your games.

I'll never be #1 on the leaderboards and I'll never have 100% completion on my profile, and I'm ok with that. You can be ok with it too, but until then, I made you something so you know that I respect you and your accomplishments. Keep up the good work, you earned it.

rDgrFo0.png?1

I like my profile, I don't hack games, nor will I. My point was this, if someone hacks offline MP trophies, just remove the points associated with the game and let it stay on the persons list, don't make them hide it, or remove their profile, would anybody have a problem with that? They're not cheating on the leaderboards then. Logically speaking, it's impossible to steelman an argument for having a problem with that, as it's "hurting nobody". Was my point, it's just a persons profile, why do they have to hide the game to be on the leaderboards? Why can psnp just make the game not count? That was literally my only real point. 
I meant whitelisting in regards to not forcing someone to hide X game just because their it's not legit. Just don't count the game towards leaderboard score? 

Thanks for the pic my dude, but I already have multiple #1 fastest 100% lol. 
So ironically, your pic is actually completely correct in a certain context. 

Edited by HankValentine
Syntax.

42 minutes ago, pot1414 said:

If you really want to take on a big project to help trophy hunters it would be much more beneficial to focus on projects that revive servers like gonespy and give people alternative solutions in order to be able to earn the online trophies legitimately instead of focusing on creating a new messy leaderboard full of cheaters.

I wish I could. I'd love nothing more than to get every offline MP game on to peer to peer servers, where all trophies could be earned legitimately. There'd be no excuse for illegitimate trophies then and I'd be very happy. Devs/Publishers don't care though, Sony especially.  

Just now, DeepEyes7 said:

Man, if we use that type of excuses then a lot of trophies can be questioned... Long and grindy trophies punish people that doesn't have too much free time, hard trophies punish people that aren't thats skilled in the game... MP trophies are annoying, but they are part of the trophy hunting world.

Big difference in my OP. No one can platinum TLoR Conquest because servers were pulled a year after launch. Would be awesome to platinum that game. 
Avoiding a grind is just ridiculous, trophy hunting is just grinding for the most part. If the trophy is possible, there's no excuse.  

6 minutes ago, HankValentine said:

I like my profile, I don't hack games, nor will I. My point was this, if someone hacks offline MP trophies and the game (just the game not the profile) is removed from their profile points in regards to the leaderboard, would anybody have a problem with that? Logically speaking, it's impossible to steelman an argument for having a problem with that, as it's "hurting nobody". Was my point, it's just a persons profile, why do they have to hide the game to be on the leaderboards? Why can psnp just make the game not count? That was literally my only real point. 
I meant whitelisting in regards to not forcing someone to hide X game just because their it's not legit. Just don't count the game towards leaderboard score? 

Thanks for the pic my dude, but  already have multiple #1 fastest achievers on games lol. 

I think that is extra work for the CRT and the staff, now they just dont need to detect cheaters, they need to isolate the cheaters that only hacked unattainable trophies (yeah, they are still cheaters). If you want to have a complete trophy list with hacked trophies/plats you can have it and continue using PSNP, you just don't participate on the LB.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HankValentine said:

I wish I could. I'd love nothing more than to get every offline MP game on to peer to peer servers, where all trophies could be earned legitimately. There'd be no excuse for illegitimate trophies then and I'd be very happy. Devs/Publishers don't care though, Sony especially. 

You can lol. I already mentioned Gonespy as an example which it looks like you ignored. You don't need Sony and the other devs/publishers to participate.

• Like 2