Is a future of whitelisted offline mp trophies ever possible?

HankValentine

As more and more servers go offline for Playstation 3 and jailbreaking becomes more accessible that ever (not that Jailbreaking is even required for certain mp trophies, black ops 2.). Why doesn't a trophy enthusiast site like this whitelist multiplayer trophies on ps3 games with offline servers? Is it a philosophy thing or a Sony terms of service thing that the site has to follow? 
Philosophically, for me, I think online trophies for offline PS3 games should be whitelisted, just so people can enjoy platinuming classics. Just popping the mp trophies and doing the rest legit. Avatar for example, has a few online trophies. No one is playing that for the mp lol.  

In regards to the leaderboards, why is the collectors profile completely removed from the leaderboards until they hide the game? Is it because the total profile score is illegitimate and psnp cannot not manually just remove 1000 points from the profiles point total?

If the game provides 1000 points worth of score and the online trophies were popped in 2022, why not just remove 1000 points from the leaderboard standing and allow the platinum to remain?
Is that just not feasible in regards to working with Sony servers? Does it have to be hidden by the collector manually as making it not count just isn't possible on psnprofiles end? I assume that's why.

Is a system where the collector just selects certain games not to count towards their total points on the leaderboards just not possible?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HuntingFever said:

This has been debated ad nauseam but ultimately, it's in Sly's hands and it's his decision as to if a Whitelist will ever happen.

I assume it has, my question really is, is it actually in the owners hands? 

Or are they bound to sony servers and rules? Is it possible to alter the leaderboards from the sites end and therefore whitelist games to being displayed on a profile while not counting? Or is that just not possible, even if the owner wanted to do that? 

5 minutes ago, HankValentine said:

I assume it has, my question really is, is it actually in the owners hands? 

Or are they bound to sony servers and rules? Is it possible to alter the leaderboards from the sites end and therefore whitelist games to being displayed on a profile while not counting? Or is that just not possible, even if the owner wanted to do that? 

Sly's site, Sly's rules, Sly's decision - it's that simple. If he doesn't want a Whitelist or decides it's not worth implementing for whatever reason, we're not going to get it. I know a lot of people want a Whitelist but until Sly decides to implement it, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Sly's site, Sly's rules - it's that simple. If he doesn't want a Whitelist or decides it's not worth implementing for whatever reason, we're not going to get it.

That's not what I'm asking to be honest. You're talking about step 2 in the process. 
Step 1 Is this hypothetical solution/change even possible? 

Step 2, if yes, will the site owner implement it or not? 

Step 2 is ultimately irrelevant if step 1 is impossible.  

Edit: All I care for right now, is an answer to step 1. 

Edited by HankValentine

4 minutes ago, HankValentine said:

That's not what I'm asking to be honest. You're talking about step 2 in the process. 
Step 1 Is this hypothetical solution/change even possible? 

Step 2, if yes, will the site owner implement it or not? 

Step 2 is ultimately irrelevant if step 1 is impossible.  

Is it possible a Whitelist will be implemented? Yes. Is it likely to happen anytime soon? No.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

Nobody will be able to answer if it's actually possible except Sly himself. He's the only one who created this site and coded it, so he's the only one who will know if it's actually possible. He's never said whether it is or isn't, but hasn't done anything when it's been requested. Maybe it is possible, but he's not willing to put the work into it as he feels it's not worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Nobody will be able to answer if it's actually possible except Sly himself. He's the only one who created this site and coded it, so he's the only one who will know if it's actually possible. He's never said whether it is or isn't, but hasn't done anything when it's been requested. Maybe it is possible, but he's not willing to put the work into it as he feels it's not worth it.

Any idea on whether most collectors on this site would support such a change? You're a moderator, would you be for it? 

Edit: Was kind of hoping that maybe there were other people on this site, who might have the relevant experience required to tell us whether or not it would be possible. Be it on here or another site altogether. 

Edited by HankValentine

Just now, Stevieboy said:

This^

Ultimately, the ball is in Sly's court.

1 minute ago, Stevieboy said:

I personally wouldn't agree to it. You don't deserve trophies you haven't earned. If you missed out on them due to server closure then that's too bad. I have several unobtainable platinums on my profile and I fully accept and am at peace with the fact that I'll never get 100% on those games.

Fair enough, makes complete sense. I suppose it will be divisive with good points on both sides. Ultimately I just philosophically disagree with multiplayer trophies in single player games, so I'm happy to look past it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HankValentine said:

Fair enough, makes complete sense. I suppose it will be divisive with good points on both sides. Ultimately I just philosophically disagree with multiplayer trophies in single player games, so I'm happy to look past it. 

If there are multiplayer trophies, then they’re not single player games.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HankValentine said:

Why doesn't a trophy enthusiast site like this whitelist multiplayer trophies on ps3 games with offline servers? Is it a philosophy thing or a Sony terms of service thing that the site has to follow? 

As the bottom of the main site says:

PSNProfiles is not affiliated with Sony or PlayStation in any way

39 minutes ago, HankValentine said:

Was kind of hoping that maybe there were other people on this site, who might have the relevant experience required to tell us whether or not it would be possible.

Sure, it's possible. It's just data being read, processed and displayed. It can be displayed however it's designed to be displayed. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, I000_NeedIes said:

Nah, the OG ps3 era was different, blatantly single player games had a dodgy online modes shoved in, because it was a new technology. There was an assumption that of course games wanted this, so throw it in. It was also a way to crack down on the used games market. Can't go online unless you buy an online pass. 
So games, like Avatar for example, had an online mode lmao. 

• 3 weeks later...

It really is sad to see an old game you want to play but to know it has some crap MP mode that if its accessible will basically require you to beg people on this site to boost with you. There really is no skill in that for the most part. Its just an annoyance. One that makes so many people just completely avoid the game altogether. I know a lot of trophies fit the category of annoying and not difficult but at least they don't require outside assistance or some magical timeframe to get it done. Many steam games too that I own are stuck with a few achievements that can't be obtained in what is a 90% single player focused game. For the games that really do have 100% unobtainable trophies I really don't see why sites like this cannot relegate these trophies as special and not count towards completion %. The trophies including the platinum would be unobtainable and a badge of honor to whoever did it at the time, but at least if you get everything else you should be able to say you did 100% of what you could at the time. I've brought this up on exophase too. World Of Warcraft handles their achievements perfectly. If its unobtainable it goes into the a special category and stays on the account.

Multiplayer trophies really have been angering people since achievements became a thing. I really don't understand why communities like this can't offer ways around them if the user wishes. This all coming from someone who doesn't really care about leaderboards though.

• Like 2

On 8-3-2022 at 6:01 PM, I000_NeedIes said:

Some singleplayer games have leaderboard challenges or upload certain stuff (photo, own creation, time to beat the game). It's not a multiplayer like versus other players but has a connection to a server and a Trophy tied to it.

For example Lollipop Chainsaw, El Shaddai & Sonic Generations.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Trying to legalise getting online MP trophies illegitimately...

I mean, the conversation ends right there.

For you and a lot of others, sure. 
The future for trophy hunting, for me, will be that though. A site that is strictly ps3 trophies only with the offline mp trophies whitelisted so long as there's no time stamp manipulation. 
If I had the money, I'd fund the site now. PS4/PS5 platinum stacking has already destroyed the leaderboards imo and absolutely devalued high platinum accounts on their face, due to platinum spam. 40 second plats are just as bad, that the whitelisting of offline mp trophies. 
It's all subjective. But if this site suddenly said every plat higher than 60% rarity doesn't count towards leaderboard points, I'd be 100% for that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

I really don't understand why you can't just play a game and move on, you don't need to have all the trophies be obtainable just to play it. 

A lot of times I do but there are so mamy games that are good that i'll just play the ones that at least have attainable 100% whether I beat it or not. Getting 100% or a platinum is why a lot of people do the hunt. You can say its weird or not understand but thats how it is for many people. If we were going to just play games then we wouldnt bother with trophies or this site at all.

There are things I'll never understand too like caring for a leaderboard and playing mass amounts of trash games for plats and trophies to rank well on that leaderboard but oh well. I don't think simply unlocking them via hacks is the way either but this "fuck you got mine" attitude towards old MP trophies is strange.

The one good thing about HD releases/remakes is that they often strip out the Multiplayer trophies like in the Uncharted collection.

Multiplayer trophies have been the bane of trophy hunters since the beginning for many reasons. Like if a game has MP trophies I will wind up doing those first but if a game is nothing but multiplayer trophies, I will avoid it.

• Like 3