Who could pull off a live-action DBZ movie?

HowIPendragon

After the disaster that was Dragonball Evolution, I doubt any of us would be optimistic about any live action DBZ project for a long time.

I actually don't think DBZ could ever be properly done, but if you could assign anyone to make it, who would you trust to direct a decent live-action DB or DBZ movie?

I would choose the Wachowski Brothers based on their love of anime and the fighting scenes from the Matrix. Those scenes are so well done, I could only think of DB whenever an aerial fight was going on. The only downside was be the occasional cruddy CGI they had, but that was 11 years ago now.

They also did a pretty decent job at the Speed Racer movie imo. Yeah it was cheesy, but it felt like what it should have felt like: a 2-hour long live-action episode of Speed Racer.

So yeah, who would you trust to make a decent DBZ movie? And would you want it to start at Dragon Ball or DBZ?

Edited by rsoto1125
  • Like 1

I am trying my best to think which director would be best suited to make a Dragon ball Z movie, but i can't think one, all I know is DON'T let M. Night Shyamalan get anywhere near this project, He will destroy it just like he did to Avatar: The Last Airbender.....and also I say they should start in DBZ instead of Dragon ball

• Like 1

I am trying my best to think which director would be best suited to make a Dragon ball Z movie, but i can't think one, all I know is DON'T let M. Night Shyamalan get anywhere near this project, He will destroy it just like he did to Avatar: The Last Airbender.....and also I say they should start in DBZ instead of Dragon ball

Last Airbender was a tragedy :(

Nothing that man touches will ever get a cent of my money again.

• Like 1

No one because there's way too much info, and since it's a live action film it will have some limitations, the cartoons can pretty much do whatever they desire.

DBZ doesn't need a movie, there's only one DBZ that needs to exist and it's DBZ itself, you don't need to make a movie of something that's already perfect. Same goes for The Last Airbender as mentioned above.

• Like 1

Last Airbender was a tragedy :(

Nothing that man touches will ever get a cent of my money again.

I watched the movie (read: tortured myself) after watching the whole series. I don't think I've ever seen such disrespect to a source material, other than DB Evolution.

On the topic at hand, I don't think anyone can make a good live-action movie because DBZ has a lot of things that just can't be put on the big screen. I'm not sure how to explain it properly but the best way I can put it is "Let it stay in anime".

• Like 1

No one

The people who like it would always find fault with any interpretation and the people who don't would just think it was nonsense.

They did already make a live action TV show called Monkey - its based on the same seires of myths tha DBZ is, I think.

They are based off the same thing, an old Chinese tale called Journey to the West, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is also based on this story.

Edited by Blanc
  • Like 1

They are based off the same thing, an old Chinese tale called Journey to the West, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is also based on this story.

Thats right, I forgot about that

- You wanna talk to me about going to see a movie version of Enslaved and we got something going... but live action DBZ? I say good day to you sir.

Zack Snyder would be a decent choice. I mean, when I watched the fighting in Man of Steel, I thought "Man, this is epic!" He could pull off the fighting scenes pretty well. If anyone ever tried to attempt a movie of this again, they should base it off the Raditz arc and this arc only. Make it so that Goku dies at the end with his sacrifice to protect the world. No sequels!