Mario Kart 8 in May, 2014 Nintendo strategy

Lady Lilith

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-coming-in-may-and-nintendo-reveals-2014-strategy/1100-6417422/

2404984-wiiu_mariokart8_121813_scrn_01.j

Earlier today, several Nintendo executives took voluntary pay cuts including CEO Satoru Iwata taking a 50%reduction, but that was just preparation for the company's overarching 2014 plans. To further address the company’s financials and future, Nintendo held a strategy briefing today in Osaka.

Here’s the short version:

• Mario Kart 8 is coming in May
  • Price cut on Wii U isn’t an option.
  • Nintendo is focusing on the GamePad – it’s not going to be removed from the Wii U.
  • Nintendo will license its characters to other companies (but their franchises are still not coming to non-Nintendo platforms)
  • The Nintendo Network ID will expand to smartphones, but Nintendo games aren’t going mobile
  • Nintendo DS virtual console will be coming to Wii U
  • Non-wearable health monitoring systems are in the works to improve quality of life.

Here’s the more in-depth version.

From a liveblog of the meeting on the Wall Street Journal, Iwata said “he’s not pessimistic about the game console outlook. And there is no change to game console being the center of its strategy. He insists the company will not be abandoning its hardware business.”

Research analyst David Gibson also shared updates from the meeting via Twitter. He wrote that Nintendo will put an increased focus on the Wii U GamePad. Gibson wrote, “GamePad profile to be increased…fast start up of Gamepad designed so can play without TV quickly.” He also wrote that consumers don’t understand the GamePad; they still think of it as a Wii peripheral. However, a price cut is not an option.”

Mario Kart 8 will be releasing in May, but according to the WSJ, Iwata said, “This won’t be just a one-off boost in momentum.” This was not further clarified.

Regarding smartphones and tablets, Gibson wrote, “It doesn't make sense for us not to do business in smart devices, want to establish connection to users to drive to own devices.” And the WSJ clarifies, “Mr. Iwata says Nintendo will 'actively' use smart devices to 'make connections with customers.' That is, they’ll use smart devices as a catalyst to encourage customers to use its Nintendo platforms. Short answer, he’s not going to release Nintendo’s titles on other platforms.”

2427695-screen+shot+2014-01-29+at+5.55.3

According to Gibson, Nintendo is looking expand the Nintendo Network ID to smart devices, not to make money, but to communicate with users.

According to this summary of the presentation, the Nintendo DS Virtual Console will also come to the Wii U.

However, Nintendo is open to licensing their characters to other partners. This isn’t unprecedented, but may show a stronger push toward that idea; after all, Sega develops the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games series, and Link is going to be in an upcoming Dynasty Warriors cross-over game Hyrule Warriors.

Going forward, Nintendo is also going to focus on players’ health and quality of life. The WSJ write, “Nintendo is trying out something completely new: non-wearables to monitor your health.” More details about what non-wearable are will come later in the year.

In response to the announcements, the WSJ writes," The ire of investors may be growing. Nintendo’s stock is now off 4%, worse than a 3.2% fall in the benchmark Nikkei Stock Average."

The most interesting thing here to me is Nintendo licensing their characters to other devs...even if it's just stuff like sports games (Mario & Sonic sports games), or a parody of an existing franchaise (Hyrule Warriors)

I really don't understand why they think DS games on the Wii U is going to do anything to boost sales. You can already play any DS game on the 3DS, and way more people have a 3DS than a Wii U. They should have announced Gamecube VC titles or something, that would have been a much better promotional strategy. Since you can still get 64 VC games through the Wii emulator, Gamecube games are one of the few consoles you can't play on their current systems. Mario Kart might help, but it's hard to say since it's already on 3DS. They really just need new games. The Wii U is a decent console, there's just nothing to play on it.

I do think expanding the network to smart phones is a good idea. It makes them seem more modern. They just need some kind of achievement system now. I seriously think they're drastically underestimating the power of achievements, especially when it comes to 3rd party games. Example, I would love to play Mass Effect 3 on my Wii U (so I can play on the gamepad) but the PS3 version has trophies, so I got the PS3 version. If I got it on the Wii U, I'd feel like I'm missing out, and I wouldn't be motivated to do anything other than just play through the game, which would just be a waste.

• Like 1

Nintendo will get through this, they always do. As disappointed as I am in Nintendo seeing them where they are, I have to say that I think this will ultimately be a good thing. This sort of devastation should show them that they will not be able to repeat the Wii's gimmick-based success and that releasing an underwhelming console with next to no games and poor marketing is not acceptable. 

Here's to hoping that they have seen the error of their ways and that their next console will be impressive and successful  ^_^

Was excited for Hyrule Warriors then realized it's only on the Wii U.  No longer care.

They should either show people how the gamepad revolutionizes gaming to convince people to drop $300 on a Wii U or they need to start working on a new console.  

This current strategy doesn't seem to be doing much but milking the fanboys and leaving everyone else alienated.

A price drop would help (look at the 3ds). Nintendo hates to lose money on their hardware but you lose on the Hardware and make it back on software. Also with more people buying the system would mean 3rd party support etc.

Nintendo is just so stubborn and stuck in the past that they will continue to flounder

• Like 2

licenced their characters?.......

i smell official super mario world level pack and Mario, Luigi, peach, Toad and bowser skins for sack boy / girl for LBP2, Karting and LBP Vita as a start on sony's platforms.

unless i am reading this wrong?

Nintendo will license its characters to other companies (but their franchises are still not coming to non-Nintendo platforms)

licenced their characters?.......

i smell official super mario world level pack and Mario, Luigi, peach, Toad and bowser skins for sack boy / girl for LBP2, Karting and LBP Vita as a start on sony's platforms.

unless i am reading this wrong?

Nintendo will license its characters to other companies (but their franchises are still not coming to non-Nintendo platforms)

i know about their franchise isn't coming to none Nintendo's platform. i mean something like seen Mario's character skin in LBP2 officially made by Nintendo, or seen mario character as a DLC on playstation battle royale or something like that, or the other way around like the multiplatform games of Wii U's version will have nintendo characters as a bonus like Tekken Tag Tournament 2  on Wii U?

i know about their franchise isn't coming to none Nintendo's platform. i mean something like seen Mario's character skin in LBP2 officially made by Nintendo, or seen mario character as a DLC on playstation battle royale or something like that, or the other way around like the multiplatform games of Wii U's version will have nintendo characters as a bonus like Tekken Tag Tournament 2  on Wii U?

LBP is a Sony Franchise and is on a Non-Nintendo program...so no that won't be happening

It makes it pretty clear. 

Nintendo characters and franchises will not be making appearances on anything but Nintendo consoles. Good examples are Hyrule Warriors or the Yoshi's Island DLC for Sonic Lost Word, neither of which are made by Nintendo, but remain exclusive to Nintendo's platforms. The Nintendo outfits in TTT2 were exclusive to the Wii U version of the game, similar to Link being a Gamecube exclusive character for Soul Calibur II. 

Simply put, you will not be seeing Mario on your Playstation or Xbox. 

So if I'm reading this correctly -

• no price reduction on their crap console (sorry, Wii U sucks. Only thing that sucks worse is the lack of quality titles for the system)
  • no trophy/achievement tracking (still . . .)
  • they are banking on yet another title they have re-hashed millions of times over

Albert Einstein said it best - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again BUT expecting different results." He was a genius for a reason, Nintendo, learn from him. Taking pay cuts will only help so much when your revenue stream is reduced to nothing . . .

as much as id hate to say it but i think in the past 7~8 years, nintendo may have brought themselves to the point of destruction. its like they completly ignore to concept of competition. and also new IPs and localization has sharply decreased. The only reason that the DS is successful is due to the lack of legitimate competition.if nintendo is not willing to dedicate to designing a home console that can hold with the others they should just cut off completely and stick to handhelds.

I have always preferred Nintendo over anything else. I just want a new Metroid. That will satisfy this generation.

A lot of people are saying that a new Metroid and/or a new Zelda would get them to buy the system. Which makes sense. Those are two franchises that aren't milked quite as hard as Mario(there's been at least 1 new Mario every year since 2009). People just want good games to play. Once you get ahold of it, the Wii U is actually pretty nice. Off-TV play is greatest thing ever, and most games don't require ridiculous motion controls anymore. There's just nothing to play, unless you want to play the same Mario game they released on the Wii.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

A lot of people are saying that a new Metroid and/or a new Zelda would get them to buy the system. Which makes sense. Those are two franchises that aren't milked quite as hard as Mario(there's been at least 1 new Mario every year since 2009). People just want good games to play. Once you get ahold of it, the Wii U is actually pretty nice. Off-TV play is greatest thing ever, and most games don't require ridiculous motion controls anymore. There's just nothing to play, unless you want to play the same Mario game they released on the Wii.

I was quite pleased that the Wii U games don't require the Wiimote's motion controls.  It has some good exclusives, though right now, they're chiefly comprised of Sonic Lost World, Wonderful 101, and Mario 3D World (which I actually liked quite a bit, and that's saying a lot coming from me) The gamepad feels like a much better "gimmick" that I actually like.  The 3DS's gyroscope on the other hand...I still hate it because of those stupidly impossible Lost World special stage :shakefist: .

It makes it pretty clear. 

Nintendo characters and franchises will not be making appearances on anything but Nintendo consoles. Good examples are Hyrule Warriors or the Yoshi's Island DLC for Sonic Lost Word, neither of which are made by Nintendo, but remain exclusive to Nintendo's platforms. The Nintendo outfits in TTT2 were exclusive to the Wii U version of the game, similar to Link being a Gamecube exclusive character for Soul Calibur II. 

Simply put, you will not be seeing Mario on your Playstation or Xbox. 

so they trying to go back to old school where mario, peach, toad and luigi appeared as a playable characters on NBA street / SSX on tour, GameCube version's exclusive.

they already did that on their older platforms before. and i don't know how this'll helps them selling more Wii U's.

I have a Super Card DSTWO (it's a R4 Emulation Cartridge) and a free subscription to emuparadise.me .  I spent $40 for a SuperCard DSTwo, (a Revolution R4 Gold is $15 tho), and $20 for a 64GB SD card....now I have literally EVERY DS game made (western & Japanese: downloaded 'em in 10 hours, and for free), and playable on both my DS and 3DS.

Sorry but that is kind of a stupid argument. That would be like me saying "gas should be cheaper because I can just siphon gas out of other cars for free." Just because it is easy to steal games doesn't mean that the company responsible for those games shouldn't expect some profit for it.

• Like 4

I have a Super Card DSTWO (it's a R4 Emulation Cartridge) and a free subscription to emuparadise.me .  I spent $40 for a SuperCard DSTwo, (a Revolution R4 Gold is $15 tho), and $20 for a 64GB SD card....now I have literally EVERY DS game made (western & Japanese: downloaded 'em in 10 hours, and for free), and playable on both my DS and 3DS.

......I'm sorry, but to me, nintendo charging $15-$20 for DS games on the Wii U Gamepad is just plain stupid, when you can already download these games for free and play them flawlessly on nintendo's own hardware.

So should Sony stop selling games since we can illegally download their games fairly easily and play them for free? 

Sorry buddy, some of us here aren't thieves and don't steal games and to say that charging for games is stupid because you can get them for free is, well, stupid. 

Parker

• Like 3

The problem with that arguement is, that most these games are no longer in print. Nintendo losses nothing since - say I where to wanna buy SMT Strange Journey - I'd have to buy it used from another gamer or a private used game business. Nintendo wouldn't make a profit anyway.

Alot of classic games' liscences have long run-out, and many of the developers or publishers are extinct. When that happens, a person who owns a game has the right to give it to other people. Is it morally right to give away the raw data of a game, you bought & own, for free to other gamers? That's up for debat, and people have different strong opinions about it. But regardless: I don't think it's no more stealing to play a rom - than to print a painting off the internet & framing it, than hunting the original down & paying thousands. I'm a firm believer that if I buy a physical game I own it in it's entirety, unless it's a digital copy.  And once a games liscences are up & a game is no longer in print, I feel I have the right to share it with others for free. It's no worse than reselling used games, which will nodoubt be resold later again and again. So in my own opinon, it's neither a 'stupid argument', or 'stealing'. :)

Your argument would hold some more validity if you didn't download ALL the games. THere are still pleny DS games available to purchase from retailers. Also your original post was more about Nintendo shouldn't charge 15-20$ for a game because you could just buy a sd card and get them all for free.

So YES you are stealing because you just said "why buy them off the virtual console when you can download them all instead"