This game has one of the most beautiful ambient soundtracks I’ve ever heard in a game.

dieselmanchild

22 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I just thought I’d share this one for people looking for a fun, relaxing platinum. And please, if anybody else has some recommendations for similar games with a beautiful OST feel free to share them. I really love these kind of meditative and reflective emotional games like Journey, Fe, Hoa, Shady Part of Me etc.

I enjoyed Shady Part of me too!  I wanted to post as I had a couple of other recommendations - Lost Words: Beyond the Page is a relatively simple platformer with an emotional story, A Short Hike which is one of those relaxing games that is difficult to dislike, and Figment (which is currently on sale as part of a bundle in NA for $2.19) explores the brain and mental health in a pretty interesting way - the OST is actually pretty jamming too (especially during the boss fights)

Editing to add Carto, can't believe I forgot that one - this is an adventure game that is based around maps and cartography.  I remember really enjoying the ambience of this game a lot.

Edited by Mesopithecus
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

And please, if anybody else has some recommendations for similar games with a beautiful OST feel free to share them. I really love these kind of meditative and reflective emotional games like Journey, Fe, Hoa, Shady Part of Me etc.

A fair few I’d recommend based on this you have already (Abzu/ Virginia/ Old Man’s Journey/ Child of Light…great minds think alike ?!)

…however, purely on stuff not on your list that are great games, not too taxing, and in posession of great soundtracks, I’d heartily recommend:

Gorogoa

(a really cool, unique puzzle game with great music)

The Longest Road on Earth 

(a very gameplay-light, but extremely powerful soundscape-visual story, with a soundtrack better than most commercial albums)

The Artful Escape

(a batshit crazy, uplifting story, full of awesome music, and some of the coolest visual design in games… plus Carl Weathers!)

Season After Fall

(A slightly trickier, but still fairly easy metriodvania-lite with some great visual design and a good ambient soundtrack)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

I would like to add some games as well.

The Gardens Between has the most soothing soundtracks in a game ever. It was probably the only puzzle-adventurer that made me cry at the end of story. ?

Candle: The Power of the Flame also has catchy soundtracks that capture the atmosphere of the game quite nicely. :coffee:

Edited by zizimonster
fixed typo
  • Like 2

This is a really awesome list of games to check out, thanks so much for the replies everyone!

Another game I played recently that had an absolutely fantastic soundtrack (although much more energetic and uplifting than this one) is Sayonara Wild Hearts. And it’s a lot of fun too, with gorgeous psychedelic visuals. Would highly recommendmend as well for another title carried by its amazing musical compositions.

• Like 1

A few soundtrack recommendations:

Where the Water tastes like Wine: A story collecting (and telling) walking simulator that plays in the USA in the time of the Great Depression. The soundtrack is a mix of different genres such as Blues, Country, Folk and others that changed depending on the states you are traveling through.

Ghost 1.0: Sci Fi metroidvania with a good sense of humor. The soundtrack reminded me a lot of the older Mega Man games.

Narita Boy:  I haven´t played the game yet, but I bought it on the soundtrack alone. It is electronic/synthwave and it has some songs with vocals that remind me of Daft Punk (for some reason).

Far: Lone Sails/Lifeless Planet: Both are puzzle solving platformers (Far in 2D with a steampunk ship to take care of, Lifeless Planet in 3D) with a soundtrack, that helps to create the atmosphere of loneliness that the games are going for.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 08/06/2022 at 0:20 AM, dieselmanchild said:

And please, if anybody else has some recommendations for similar games with a beautiful OST feel free to share them. I really love these kind of meditative and reflective emotional games like Journey, Fe, Hoa, Shady Part of Me etc.

Ctrl+F, "GRIS", 0 result :o

So here I am recommending this beautiful game with a great OST, I'm confident you would love it too!

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/10046-gris

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Everything about this game is great except for the story. It's another example of a game trying to be meaningful without actually having anything to say - its attempt at depicting mental health is vapid at best and extremely offensive at worst, presenting a narrative akin to conversion therapy. It's a shame, too, because the gameplay and art style (including music) of this game are real standouts - but the story itself was so gruesome and ill conceived the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. It might not bother most people, but if you've dealt with mental health issues or are otherwise sympathetic to people who do I cannot recommend this game in the slightest.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It might not bother most people, but if you've dealt with mental health issues or are otherwise sympathetic to people who do I cannot recommend this game in the slightest.

Hmm, this sounds concerning. I know a lot of media handles and portrays those kind of subjects pretty poorly and lazily use it as a tool to appear 'deep' (I find it especially true for many horror videogames).

Without opening up into spoiler territory is there any more detail or context you could elaborate on? It's apparently on sale around 70% off at the minute so I'd be curious to know whether that kind of warning would hold true for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Hmm, this sounds concerning. I know a lot of media handles and portrays those kind of subjects pretty poorly and lazily use it as a tool to appear 'deep' (I find it especially true for many horror videogames).

Without opening up into spoiler territory is there any more detail or context you could elaborate on? It's apparently on sale around 70% off at the minute so I'd be curious to know whether that kind of warning would hold true for me.

If you're in the interested in the game, just get it, you'll be fine.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Everything about this game is great except for the story. It's another example of a game trying to be meaningful without actually having anything to say - its attempt at depicting mental health is vapid at best and extremely offensive at worst, presenting a narrative akin to conversion therapy. It's a shame, too, because the gameplay and art style (including music) of this game are real standouts - but the story itself was so gruesome and ill conceived the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. It might not bother most people, but if you've dealt with mental health issues or are otherwise sympathetic to people who do I cannot recommend this game in the slightest.

Honestly I didn’t pick up on any of that. Admittedly, it was the overall vibe of the game that resonated with me far more than the story did. I liked the surreal environments, the clever light/dark dichotomy, the puzzles, and most of all the way the music brought out the emotions and tied it all together.

I didn’t see anything wrong with the way her mental health struggle was portrayed though, but it’s possible I just wasn’t paying much attention. Ngl either my memory is absolute dogshit, and in the year since I’ve played this I can hardly remember any specifics. But from what I do recall it was a pretty obscure narrative to begin with, much of it laid out through cryptic clues in her dialogue or inner thoughts and largely left open to interpretation.

I think the way I interpreted it at the time was that the light/dark was her inner struggle and the shadow was the representation of her better self, all her inner strength, confidence and all the other positive qualities she hadn’t quite tapped into yet. The journey was ultimately about the marriage between the two sides and her discovering that strength and overcoming her hang ups while realizing she was far more capable than she thought. There was a lot of really dark imagery; an asylum, industrial machinery etc. but I don’t think I took that literally as if she was actually escaping from one or anything like that. I definitely don’t remember any clues alluding to conversion therapy or anything of that nature.

• Like 3

Thanks OP. Never heard of this title until I read your post. I just bought it based on that video you shared. Sold me right off the bat! My type of music too. It’s giving me a “Little Nightmares” kind of vibe which is definitely a good thing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

It's really hard to describe without spoilers but, for instance, there's a very pushy therapist who is constantly saying shit like "try harder" and overall the whole game seems to take the viewpoint that mentally ill people are things to be fixed. If you don't think too hard about it it's probably fine but the more you do think about it the more disturbing it gets, imo.

(Probably want to stop reading here bc I'm replying to diesel next and their post has spoilers.)

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I think the way I interpreted it at the time was that the light/dark was her inner struggle and the shadow was the representation of her better self, all her inner strength, confidence and all the other positive qualities she hadn’t quite tapped into yet. The journey was ultimately about the marriage between the two sides and her discovering that strength and overcoming her hang ups while realizing she was far more capable than she thought. There was a lot of really dark imagery; an asylum, industrial machinery etc. but I don’t think I took that literally as if she was actually escaping from one or anything like that. I definitely don’t remember any clues alluding to conversion therapy or anything of that nature.

Spoiler

The game doesn't seem to know what it is about which is part of the problem. It does push some themes of reconciling the two sides, but then it also completely discards that. Near the end of the game as the shadow self is gaining strength she says things like "I'm afraid she won't forgive me" and you have the 3D self literally begging not to be forgotten and pleading by saying she can still be useful, only to get no response whatsoever. Then in the very final levels the shadow self develops the ability to control puppets, making the 3D self next to useless, and she seems to have completely given up hope on being relevant because she doesn't even speak anymore in those levels. The ending of the game has the 3D self desperately trying to run away from the light, only to be forced into it, resulting in her lying on the ground completely motionless to the extent that she could be interpreted as dead, and then the shadow self possesses her like a puppet. It's highly disturbing, particularly if you take the interpretation that the game is about autism (an interpretation I saw being popular on the Steam forums for the game), because ABA (which was created by one of the founders of gay conversion therapy) essentially involves forcing autistic people to ignore their own needs and comfort and hide themselves (or 'mask') in favor of presenting a more socially acceptable image. The shadow self seems to directly reference this sort of masking when she says, "I will look like them. Act like them. Become them." Mental illness is actually to some extent treatable (or at least manageable), so it has less bite if the game is about mental illness - but even then, ignoring one's own boundaries and discomforts is never healthy and the way the game presents it is wholly gruesome.

Then there's the whole thing with the therapist - he has to be the least qualified person working in mental health I have ever seen. He does nothing that therapists are actually supposed to do - e.g. listen and offer new perspectives, but instead spends the entire game trying to force his will on both selves. The repetition of "try harder" here is particularly obnoxious given that you're more likely to find a unicorn than a mentally ill person who hasn't been told to try harder before - hell, many mentally ill people are constantly punishing themselves for feeling like they're not doing enough. The two selves even acknowledge in the middle of the game that he's pushy and insensitive, but then that just quietly gets dropped and the shadow self decides he was right all along while ignoring the 3D self's discomfort. In combination with the way the 'reconciliation' of the two is handled, e.g. the shadow self asserting complete dominance over the real self to the extent of possessing her like a puppet, it aligns with the conceptualization of mentally ill people as problems to be fixed.

And the thing is that the game itself is overwhelmingly positive in how it displays these flaws - it truly does think it has a fantastic understanding of mental illness and that is has created a masterpiece in its presentation of it. It's not in your face about it, so I think most people could play it and have little issue, but if you tend to be more vigilant about these kinds of things it definitely pushes all the wrong buttons. It's a shame too because the aesthetics of the game and how it uses shadows for platforming are masterful.

11 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Hide contents

The game doesn't seem to know what it is about which is part of the problem. It does push some themes of reconciling the two sides, but then it also completely discards that. Near the end of the game as the shadow self is gaining strength she says things like "I'm afraid she won't forgive me" and you have the 3D self literally begging not to be forgotten and pleading by saying she can still be useful, only to get no response whatsoever. Then in the very final levels the shadow self develops the ability to control puppets, making the 3D self next to useless, and she seems to have completely given up hope on being relevant because she doesn't even speak anymore in those levels. The ending of the game has the 3D self desperately trying to run away from the light, only to be forced into it, resulting in her lying on the ground completely motionless to the extent that she could be interpreted as dead, and then the shadow self possesses her like a puppet. It's highly disturbing, particularly if you take the interpretation that the game is about autism (an interpretation I saw being popular on the Steam forums for the game), because ABA (which was created by one of the founders of gay conversion therapy) essentially involves forcing autistic people to ignore their own needs and comfort and hide themselves (or 'mask') in favor of presenting a more socially acceptable image. The shadow self seems to directly reference this sort of masking when she says, "I will look like them. Act like them. Become them." Mental illness is actually to some extent treatable (or at least manageable), so it has less bite if the game is about mental illness - but even then, ignoring one's own boundaries and discomforts is never healthy and the way the game presents it is wholly gruesome.

Then there's the whole thing with the therapist - he has to be the least qualified person working in mental health I have ever seen. He does nothing that therapists are actually supposed to do - e.g. listen and offer new perspectives, but instead spends the entire game trying to force his will on both selves. The repetition of "try harder" here is particularly obnoxious given that you're more likely to find a unicorn than a mentally ill person who hasn't been told to try harder before - hell, many mentally ill people are constantly punishing themselves for feeling like they're not doing enough. The two selves even acknowledge in the middle of the game that he's pushy and insensitive, but then that just quietly gets dropped and the shadow self decides he was right all along while ignoring the 3D self's discomfort. In combination with the way the 'reconciliation' of the two is handled, e.g. the shadow self asserting complete dominance over the real self to the extent of possessing her like a puppet, it aligns with the conceptualization of mentally ill people as problems to be fixed.

And the thing is that the game itself is overwhelmingly positive in how it displays these flaws - it truly does think it has a fantastic understanding of mental illness and that is has created a masterpiece in its presentation of it. It's not in your face about it, so I think most people could play it and have little issue, but if you tend to be more vigilant about these kinds of things it definitely pushes all the wrong buttons. It's a shame too because the aesthetics of the game and how it uses shadows for platforming are masterful.

I could really use a refresher playthrough alongside this discussion, because I’ve clearly forgotten much of the details. Like I don’t even remember the therapist bit at all. But I think you’ve got an interesting interpretation. I do think that perhaps you’ve taking some of the narrative clues too literally or read into them a little further than you’re supposed to, but I can’t say beyond a mere opinion because I feel like the story is intentionally vague and will therefore mean a lot of different things to different people.

Possible spoilers

In my interpretation, I took it as if everything is basically happening inside the girl’s head, and as the player we are basically a spectator thrown into the war between her inner thoughts and feelings. Regarding the reconciliation, I never really picked up on any significance in the different ways her light and dark selves are being portrayed as you described. Even though there’s a bit of a physical representation through the gameplay of one side weakening/dying off and one side growing in power and taking over, I never read into it as if the game wants you to think one side is “better” and the other is weak and useless. Personally I thought it was more of a metaphor for empowerment, and how the little girl finds the strength within herself to overcome the things that are holding her back, using the power she had inside her all along. I didn’t look at it as if there was the “real” self and the shadow self, I figured the little girl is supposed to be both of them simultaneously. They are one and the same, created to portray the constant tug-of-war happening in her mind.

Again, I can’t even remember the parts with the therapist so I’m afraid I’m not qualified to speak on that part specifically. But I will say that because I felt like the entire game was a visual depiction of what was happening inside her own inner world, I didn’t take any of the negative stuff literally either. Whether it was the girl trying to convince herself she needs to act more like everyone else to fit in, or the insensitivity of the therapist as he scolded her and tells her to try harder, be better etc., I never viewed any of this as real outside influences, but rather I saw them as representations of the girl’s own thoughts and feelings. I believe what you’re seeing is those thoughts and feelings manifested in various ways in the environment.

Just like you said, it’s extremely common for people suffering from mental illness to punish themselves, belittle themselves, feel like they’re pathetic and useless and become acutely attentive to what they perceive to be their own personal faults and flaws. It’s because of this that I felt all the negativity we were seeing and hearing throughout the game, whether from the light/dark selves, the girl’s own monologues, or other characters like the therapist, was actually all just a depiction of this internal war; her deepest and darkest fears and insecurities, that dark part inside you that is self-sabotaging and always trying to bring you down or tell you that you’re not good enough when you’re in this kind of head space.

I certainly wouldn’t call A Shady Part of Me a masterpiece or anything like that, but it was an enjoyable experience for me, and I commend the developers for tackling a sensitive subject and doing so in a way that leaves a lot open for interpretation. I’ll have to go back and play it again one of these day though. I am curious as to whether or not I might see it in a different light or pick up on subtle hints I may have missed now that I’ve read your thoughts on the game.

Mental health seems to be a subject that is being explored more often in games nowadays. I am curious, is there any games that you’ve played so far that you feel handled the subject in a more sensitive manner? Or any you might recommend?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I could really use a refresher playthrough alongside this discussion, because I’ve clearly forgotten much of the details. Like I don’t even remember the therapist bit at all. But I think you’ve got an interesting interpretation. I do think that perhaps you’ve taking some of the narrative clues too literally or read into them a little further than you’re supposed to, but I can’t say beyond a mere opinion because I feel like the story is intentionally vague and will therefore mean a lot of different things to different people.

Possible spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

In my interpretation, I took it as if everything is basically happening inside the girl’s head, and as the player we are basically a spectator thrown into the war between her inner thoughts and feelings. Regarding the reconciliation, I never really picked up on any significance in the different ways her light and dark selves are being portrayed as you described. Even though there’s a bit of a physical representation through the gameplay of one side weakening/dying off and one side growing in power and taking over, I never read into it as if the game wants you to think one side is “better” and the other is weak and useless. Personally I thought it was more of a metaphor for empowerment, and how the little girl finds the strength within herself to overcome the things that are holding her back, using the power she had inside her all along. I didn’t look at it as if there was the “real” self and the shadow self, I figured the little girl is supposed to be both of them simultaneously. They are one and the same, created to portray the constant tug-of-war happening in her mind.

Again, I can’t even remember the parts with the therapist so I’m afraid I’m not qualified to speak on that part specifically. But I will say that because I felt like the entire game was a visual depiction of what was happening inside her own inner world, I didn’t take any of the negative stuff literally either. Whether it was the girl trying to convince herself she needs to act more like everyone else to fit in, or the insensitivity of the therapist as he scolded her and tells her to try harder, be better etc., I never viewed any of this as real outside influences, but rather I saw them as representations of the girl’s own thoughts and feelings. I believe what you’re seeing is those thoughts and feelings manifested in various ways in the environment.

Just like you said, it’s extremely common for people suffering from mental illness to punish themselves, belittle themselves, feel like they’re pathetic and useless and become acutely attentive to what they perceive to be their own personal faults and flaws. It’s because of this that I felt all the negativity we were seeing and hearing throughout the game, whether from the light/dark selves, the girl’s own monologues, or other characters like the therapist, was actually all just a depiction of this internal war; her deepest and darkest fears and insecurities, that dark part inside you that is self-sabotaging and always trying to bring you down or tell you that you’re not good enough when you’re in this kind of head space.

I certainly wouldn’t call A Shady Part of Me a masterpiece or anything like that, but it was an enjoyable experience for me, and I commend the developers for tackling a sensitive subject and doing so in a way that leaves a lot open for interpretation. I’ll have to go back and play it again one of these day though. I am curious as to whether or not I might see it in a different light or pick up on subtle hints I may have missed now that I’ve read your thoughts on the game.

Mental health seems to be a subject that is being explored more often in games nowadays. I am curious, is there any games that you’ve played so far that you feel handled the subject in a more sensitive manner? Or any you might recommend?

Spoiler

Hmm, I assumed that the two girls were meant to represent an inner struggle while the therapist was an outsider talking to them. I could be wrong and he could have been imaginary as well. Still, even with the relationship between them being a purely symbolic one, I still can't get past just how gruesome the 'integration' is - the shadow part acts as if she is betraying the 3D part, and the 3D part, again, is begging for mercy only to be ignored until finally falling silent altogether. I don't think you can ignore how the gameplay supports this domination by the shadow part, either - it goes from the shadow being reliant on the 3D girl, to the two being more equal, to finally the 3D girl being more useless than the shadow part ever was and just being escorted from place to place by the shadow. The 3D part being... well, three dimensional also suggests that that is the real or core part of the collective girl, so the shadow taking over suggests a constructed personality taking over.

And even if the therapist is imagined, the fact that he's treated as if he was right all along at the end of the game, which if he is a manifestation of other people bullying her is... not particularly great either.

Also, re: the autistic interpretation, the fact that the 3D part is very childish, has sensory issues(?) with the light, and was apparently traumatized by being bullied for being different, while the shadow part is very restrained and mature supports the interpretation of it as being the artificial masking self versus the more sensitive authentic autistic self.

As for games that deal with mental health, I haven't played that many that handle the subject well, sadly, but Chicory: A Colorful Tale comes to mind (although the narrative is a bit odd if taken as entirely being metaphorical of mental health), and I'm currently playing A Town of Light, which is a... very dark story based on how terrible asylums and the treatment of mentally ill people used to be.

Edit: Hellbound: Senua's Sacrifice is also a great game based off of schizophrenia.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Hide contents

Hmm, I assumed that the two girls were meant to represent an inner struggle while the therapist was an outsider talking to them. I could be wrong and he could have been imaginary as well. Still, even with the relationship between them being a purely symbolic one, I still can't get past just how gruesome the 'integration' is - the shadow part acts as if she is betraying the 3D part, and the 3D part, again, is begging for mercy only to be ignored until finally falling silent altogether. I don't think you can ignore how the gameplay supports this domination by the shadow part, either - it goes from the shadow being reliant on the 3D girl, to the two being more equal, to finally the 3D girl being more useless than the shadow part ever was and just being escorted from place to place by the shadow. The 3D part being... well, three dimensional also suggests that that is the real or core part of the collective girl, so the shadow taking over suggests a constructed personality taking over.

And even if the therapist is imagined, the fact that he's treated as if he was right all along at the end of the game, which if he is a manifestation of other people bullying her is... not particularly great either.

Also, re: the autistic interpretation, the fact that the 3D part is very childish, has sensory issues(?) with the light, and was apparently traumatized by being bullied for being different, while the shadow part is very restrained and mature supports the interpretation of it as being the artificial masking self versus the more sensitive authentic autistic self.

As for games that deal with mental health, I haven't played that many that handle the subject well, sadly, but Chicory: A Colorful Tale comes to mind (although the narrative is a bit odd if taken as entirely being metaphorical of mental health), and I'm currently playing A Town of Light, which is a... very dark story based on how terrible asylums and the treatment of mentally ill people used to be.

Edit: Hellbound: Senua's Sacrifice is also a great game based off of schizophrenia.

I played Hellbound and thought it was really good. I thought it was particularly interesting seeing psychosis explored in the setting of an ancient culture rather than modern times, where attitudes towards mental health issues would have been quite primitive and people would have likely seen such things as curses, possessions or the work of dark gods. It allowed them to take a more surreal, dreamlike approach to the mythology and also create an amazing sensory experience — one of the few games I’ve actually played with headphones. Great pick.

I didn’t know Chicory was about mental health either. I’ve actually had that downloaded and sitting on my HDD for awhile collecting dust. I’ve been meaning to get to it one of these days as it looks like a unique game. I’ll have to bump it up the backlog. ?

• Like 1