Sonic Boom coming to the Wii U, 3DS

Venocide

2432474-sb_keyart_01_rgb_a4_300dpi_13916

Sega has announced Sonic Boom, which it describes as "a new branch of the Sonic universe" encompassing a video game, new CG-animated TV series, and a range of toys. The game is launching this year for Wii U and 3DS.

Crucially, the Sonic Boom series also gives the series' characters a makeover. Sonic's got super long legs and now wears a little brown scarf, Amy's pretty much the same as ever, and Tails now sports a nifty little utility belt.

Knuckles, on the other hand, has clearly been working out. A lot. He's also grown about four feet. I wonder if his new physique has been improved by anything that would be banned in sports? Quick, somebody take a urine sample.

Sonic Boom will be the third and final game released exclusively on Nintendo platforms, after the two companies signed a deal last year. The Wii U version of the game is being produced by new developer Big Red Button Entertainment, with Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time developer Sanzaru Games handling the 3DS version.

Sega says the game will feature traditional Sonic elements (speed) alongside exploration, combat, and a tethering mechanic. Sonic Boom, or at least the Wii U version, appears to be designed around 4-player cooperative play.

The television series, which follows on from after the events of the game, will run across 52 episodes of 11 minutes each, and is being co-produced by OuiDO! Productions and Sega of America. The show will air on Cartoon Network in America, and air during the 2014/2015 season.

Finally, Sega has partnered with Tomy to release an onslaught of toys: including plushies, action figures, and remote-controlled vehicles.

We spoke with a Sega producer about Sonic Boom, who said you shouldn't think of it as a Skylanders-style game because the toys don't integrate into the game like they do in Activision's title. What's more, though you'll see the same virtual worlds from the game in the TV show, don't expect the back-and-forth to be as substantial as SyFy's Defiance.

Frost also explained that the 3DS version is not a straight port of the Wii U iteration and that the game overall is similar in structure to Sonic Adventure, in that it'll feature a main hub and missions branching off that.

A trailer for the Wii U version of the game was released, which amazingly includes a chunk of Skrillex's Bangarang.

Edited by ARKphoenix

I've been a fan of the Sonic series when I was a kid. I've played every Sonic game, and I even put up with all the terrible ones. They finally start to make good games again(Colors, Generations, 4 EpII, Lost World), and then they do this. From what I've read, it doesn't even sound like a sonic game, and I absolutely hate those designs. I didn't think it would ever happen, but they've finally alienated me from Sonic. I just hope that this isn't doesn't become the main Sonic games. Hopefully it's just for the tie-in to the TV show, and the next game will be back to real Sonic again.

These new models look alright, except Knuckles.

But why is it so hard for them to just go back to the classic 2D games? It's pretty obvious the majority of fans liked those way more than any of these new 3D games. Sometimes I just don't understand what developers are thinking.

These games are purchased by parents whose children enjoy these games, and they do well that way.

And from a sales or marketing standpoint, a game geared towards children (especially with a television tie-in) will always find better results than ones geared towards nostalgia.

• Like 1

The person running the official Sonic the Hedghog facebook page said, "Sonic Boom is a new branch of the Sonic universe and does not replace modern Sonic." So, this is essentially a spin-off/alternate universe thing. We'll still be getting regular Sonic games.

• Like 1

The person running the official Sonic the Hedghog facebook page said, "Sonic Boom is a new branch of the Sonic universe and does not replace modern Sonic." So, this is essentially a spin-off/alternate universe thing. We'll still be getting regular Sonic games.

Yeah, I was happy when I read that, cause the character models look pretty weird, and the concept of a TV show game doesn't bode well with me after trying Pacman on Wii U.  Although I kinda had a feeling all along that this would be a spinoff.  They'd be completely stupid to make this the face of Sonic going forward.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was happy when I read that, cause the character models look pretty weird, and the concept of a TV show game doesn't bode well with me after trying Pacman on Wii U.  Although I kinda had a feeling all along that this would be a spinoff.  They'd be completely stupid to make this the face of Sonic going forward.

I had suspected it would be a spin-off too, mainly because of the TV tie-in, but companies completely change IPs for no good reason sometimes. Like when Capcom rebooted Devil May Cry, or when Ubisoft rebooted Prince of Persia. But yeah, it's definitely good to know they're keeping regular Sonic around too.

It might be worth noting that they said Sonic Boom would be a comedy like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog...so...a game based on a comedy TV show could either be good (Simpsons Game), or really bad.  I'm leaning more towards thinking it'll be bad to mediocre.  After taking another look at the character models, they look like a 5 year old made them with those messed up legs.  Like FF7's Popeye look...only that had an excuse of being early 3D.

You didn't even need to go as far as the Facebook posting; that was pointed out in the first sentence of the OP. xD

By reading the youtube comments, people say that the game looks all lot like Jak and Daxter or Crash Bandicoot in the style and appearently the ones that are working on this game are Ex-Naughty Dog employees, at least that is the information i got from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXUs5sbxI54

Edited by TheVader66