HipHop Lover

Cassiopria

Because I like Havoc's part in this version better.

Paul's Boutique is also my favorite, The Sounds of Science is one of my favorite songs, of any genre of music.

I love Paul's Boutique's cover. Whenever I look at it it makes me wanna go shop there

• Like 1

Genuine question for fans of this genre, what is the difference between rap and hiphop? I honestly don't have a clue.

Parker

It's completely subjective and you ask five different people and get five different answers. I think Geokie's position seems to be that the stuff he likes is hip-hop and the stuff he doesn't like is rap. I'd imagine the explanation would be that hip-hop is deeper and more lyrically diverse while rap is the shallow end, guys just talking about their hoes and their bling. That mainstream stuff gets such a bad rap (see what I did there, and I'm not saying isn't deserved) that some people who love the music and the art form want to make the distinction to distance themselves from that.  But then there's often a dichotomy where the originators of what could be considered rap (as opposed to hip-hop), guys like Biggie Smalls and Dr.Dre for example, get a pass and get respect. Don't get it twisted tho, I love Biggie too, and I don't have an opinion on Drake or lil Wayne because I don't listen to them. But not all mainstream is awful. Say what you want about Kanye West, he's done plenty of mighty dope shit. My point just being that people could make the argument that guys like Biggie, even Tupac, Wu-Tang, would fall more in the rap camp than the hip-hop one. Don't bite my head off peeps, I'm not into this disctiction at all, I'm just sayin' the argument could be made - it sort of just comes down to personal opinions and how mainstream is too mainstream etc....

Others might say that rap is the act of rapping, while hip-hop is a lifestyle that includes all the other stuff, fashion, DJing, dance, graffiti etc.

But I dunno what Geokie was talking about in his response to me. I never said anything about reputation. I said representing, which I can assure you is what most people would think if you said 'rep' in a hip-hop context. I only said that the OP might be talking about rapping when he said "do you rep" because that question is kind of lacking the context. Do I rep what? Still waiting for him to clarify what he meant ^^

Edited by lporiginalg
  • Like 2

Imma post some classic albums;

Brotha Lynch Hung - Dinner & A Movie

D12 - Devils Night

The DemiGodz - KILLmatic

Eminem - MMLP1

GZA - Liquid Swords

Immortal Technique - Rev. V2

Nas - Illmatic

RA - Legends Never Die

Tech N9ne - Absolute Power // K.O.D.

Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers

From the top of my head; haha.

• Like 3

I love hiphop and Rep since the 90's !!!! If have good hiphop or rep hit me up :)

No way, is this you on the track? Dope as fuck track by the way.

ps: I had to add something myself

Love this sample so much. Edited by BasickAlphabit

Genuine question for fans of this genre, what is the difference between rap and hiphop? I honestly don't have a clue.

Parker

Rap is a part of hiphop, it is merely one aspect of a whole culture. The underground scene versus the mainstream won't meet eye to eye on the definition of rap music but here's my take on the matter: to some folks, hiphop is more than just a music genre. It is a lifestyle, it is a culture and it can even be a philosophy if you want it to be. I agree with most things lporiginal has to say about hiphop, it doesn't just involve mc'ing and rhymes. DJ'ing, fashion, beatboxing, graffiti, having freestyle battles on the streets, breakdancing and such are all different elements of hiphop. Generally speaking when you talk about hiphop you are referring to rapmusic.

It's completely subjective and you ask five different people and get five different answers. I think Geokie's position seems to be that the stuff he likes is hip-hop and the stuff he doesn't like is rap. I'd imagine the explanation would be that hip-hop is deeper and more lyrically diverse while rap is the shallow end, guys just talking about their hoes and their bling. That mainstream stuff gets such a bad rap (see what I did there, and I'm not saying isn't deserved) that some people who love the music and the art form want to make the distinction to distance themselves from that.  But then there's often a dichotomy where the originators of what could be considered rap (as opposed to hip-hop), guys like Biggie Smalls and Dr.Dre for example, get a pass and get respect. Don't get it twisted tho, I love Biggie too, and I don't have an opinion on Drake or lil Wayne because I don't listen to them. But not all mainstream is awful. Say what you want about Kanye West, he's done plenty of mighty dope shit. My point just being that people could make the argument that guys like Biggie, even Tupac, Wu-Tang, would fall more in the rap camp than the hip-hop one. Don't bite my head off peeps, I'm not into this disctiction at all, I'm just sayin' the argument could be made - it sort of just comes down to personal opinions and how mainstream is too mainstream etc....

Others might say that rap is the act of rapping, while hip-hop is a lifestyle that includes all the other stuff, fashion, DJing, dance, graffiti etc.

But I dunno what Geokie was talking about in his response to me. I never said anything about reputation. I said representing, which I can assure you is what most people would think if you said 'rep' in a hip-hop context. I only said that the OP might be talking about rapping when he said "do you rep" because that question is kind of lacking the context. Do I rep what? Still waiting for him to clarify what he meant ^^

There was a little confusion regarding the OP's question: "do you have any good hiphop or 'rep'", this was merely a typo. In Dutch rap is pronounced the same way as rep, the sounds of our vowels are different than in English. E is pronounced as I and A is E, anywho I'm not here to give a lecture on Dutch so let's carry on.

The main question is, what is rapmusic? There are different types of rapstyles, some artists focus heavily on the lyrical aspect (MF Doom, Mos Def, Eminem), mc's who like to pass on a certain message in their music ( Guru from Gangstarr rest in peace my brother), one of my personal favourites gangsta rap (NWA, Onyx, Mobb Deep), rappers who have bullshit rhymes but get away with it because they have an incredible flow ( Biggie Smalls, Snoop Doggy), rapmusic as a way to express your thoughts and feelings, a stress reliever if you will ( J-Live, Tupac). This is what I call hiphop. My favourite artists have plenty of tracks without a catchy chorus, they don't need that stuff its just annoying most of the time. Its all about the beats and the rhymes man!

Now what about the Lil Waynes, the Drakes and the Souljaboys I hear you ask. Rap and bullshit! These guys ain't making hiphop, they're making catchy tunes for all the teens who were too young to witness the golden era of hiphop ( roughly 1988-1995). How many Lil Wayne fans out there can actually recite his tracks on demand, how many of them would actually recognise his songs a capella while leaving out the chorus. Does Lil Wayne carry a notebook 24/7, just in case he suddenly comes up with a few raw lyrics? You bet your ass he doesn't, he's way too busy counting his money. I refuse to call it hiphop if you are so stupid you shoot yourself in your own leg while carrying a gat in your pants and you go sing about how much of a tough gangster you are. Pretenders and fakes I tell you. I am not saying commercial rap is always bad, I too own a copy of 50 Cents Get Rich or Die Trying but I cringe when I see who wins the MTV Award in the category hiphop. ( J. Cole shoulda won btw!!)

Would describe myself as a music lover not just Hip Hop but hopefully this year I'll get to see Jurassic 5 and De La Soul both are playing Glasgow.

That's pretty cool man I really enjoyed seeing De La Soul, I never got to see Jurassic 5 though. I was under the impression they split up as a group? Anyway enjoy the show man!

Lastly, I wouldn't want to post without leaving some real hiphop

Nas - Affirmative Action French version

Dutch Hiphop for those who are curious

• Like 4