Cross-Game Chat: Vita has it, PS3 likely never will...

Dreakon139

I would've posted this in the Vita forum, but I think it would hit harder amongst PS3 users.

While reading GameInformer it came to my attention that Vita would have Cross-Game Chat (a much requested feature amongst forum-going PS3 users, whether you personally care for it or not)... so I popped a few key words into Google and got a little dose of reality. While this is far from a "confirming" source, for the first time I feel like XGC will simply never, ever, ever happen in this generation of Playstation. Which is sad as it's something I used ALL the time in my brief ownership of the Xbox 360 and something I really wanted to see come to the PS3...

Anyways...

According to Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida, the Vita packs more RAM than the PS3, which is why it's getting the one feature the PS3 never did.

"The reason why we were able to include something like Party, which enables cross-game voice chat," he explained, "is because we designed Vita so it always has enough resources to handle something like that behind the game while it's running."

The Vita is confirmed to have 512MB of system RAM and 128MB of Video RAM, while the PS3 gets 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM. Since Yoshida is saying cross-game-chat needs RAM on par with the Vita's, he has basically stated that the PS3 won't ever get it. But then, it's been half a decade since the console launched and there's never been a hint of it, so that's confirmation enough.

Source: http://www.destructo...ll-209334.phtml

I'm rather disappointed personally, but this isn't the first time the PS3's lack of resources has come up in the Cross-Game Chat discussion... so I guess I'm not too surprised.

I guess what hurts the most is why Sony kept PS3 users dangling for the last 5 years instead of just coming out and saying "the PS3 doesn't have the RAM to support it, sorry folks". Admittedly that may be a bad business move, but whatever. Some indicator that it was never going to happen would be nice instead of letting it rule the roost as #1 request on the PS Blog Share site for a year or two before speaking up.

Yeah we've known this for a while, RAM constraints. I really don't care about cross game chat, it will be on the PS4 though for people that do care.

That's a pretty steep price to pay for Cross Game Chat, yet you say it so casually. :P

And where was I? Granted I haven't mingled in the XGC crowd for a while, I have never seen anything official saying that it was a hardware restriction stopping them. Lest people wouldn't continue to request it... and articles wouldn't continue to be written as though it was "confirmed" based on a few indirect quotes.

That's a pretty steep price to pay for Cross Game Chat, yet you say it so casually. :P

And where was I? Granted I haven't mingled in the XGC crowd for a while, I have never seen anything official saying that it was a hardware restriction stopping them. Lest people wouldn't continue to request it...

The announcement must have been more than a month or two ago now. Anyway, I'm not interested in the feature, hence the casual attitude towards this news.

K I never understood the big deal of X game chat. please someone explain it to me. I dont see the point in talking to some one thats not playing the same game as you.

It was never a really big deal to me either. I guess it might be good if you're playing a sp game and just want to chat with friends. I thinking it get confusing in a mp objective game where communication with your team should be more important. Still, it'd be a nice feature to have.

I'd like to add that I've used Skype for cross-game and in game chat. At the time I was playing Mario Kart Wii. We used Skype because the Wii didn't support chat for the game. Skype is a good way to avoid crowded mp rooms and it solves the cross game chat problem. Just a suggestion for those upset that the ps3 will never have it.

K I never understood the big deal of X game chat. please someone explain it to me. I dont see the point in talking to some one thats not playing the same game as you.

I'm glad you asked!

There's a few reasons why I like it...

- For some games, like NHL 12, the voice chat cuts out immediately after the game is over. If your playing with a friend and happen to be conversing about anything game related, or about anything in general, the conversation is cut off. Not only is that obnoxious, but it's inconvenient. If you want to rematch, you're forced to fall back to in-game invites or sending messages via text. Compared to simply speaking as you were two seconds ago, it's obnoxious. With "Cross Game Chat", the voice chat continues regardless of where in the menu's you are, whether or not your actually in the game and yes, regardless of what game you're in.

- With that first part in mind, organizing games is much easier as well, especially for boosting. If a game doesn't offer any specific way to find people/friends, you're forced to search for eachother at the same time in hopes to find eachother. With text messages, this is very difficult to time correctly since the person sending the messages has to navigate in and out of the XMB to do so.

- Another convenience is disconnection. Like the first bullet point, if EA's servers were to bomb out or something during a game of NHL 12 or a game has shoddy net code, you'd lose voice chat with the person your playing with the second they disconnect. This leaves one person scrambling to connect again, and the other not knowing what the hell just happened. With a constant stream of voice chat, as long as they don't disconnect completely, everyone is on the same page.

- Finally, of course, is the fact that human beings are social creatures. Human beings also have friends. If one person is just muddling around trying to get Uncharted trophies and a friend comes on, they can just hang out and chat while they go about their own business. This really isn't the utter lunacy some people make it out to be.

The thing about Cross-Game Chat is that it's a convenience. It makes other tedious, obnoxious, inconvenient ways of doing what I just listed above obsolete.

I'd like to add that I've used Skype for cross-game and in game chat. At the time I was playing Mario Kart Wii. We used Skype because the didn't support chat for the game. Skype is a good way to avoid crowded mp rooms and it solves the cross game chat problem. Just a suggestion for those upset that the ps3 will never have it.

Skype would ultimately do the same thing as Cross-Game Chat and it works in a pinch, but the beauty of XGC is that it's all internal. You don't need to swap Skype information, on top of PSN information, just to have a consistent voice stream with someone you just want to work on a few trophies with. Click, click, done.

Quite frankly, I'd rather not give any information outside of my PSN name to most of you. Not to mention I don't want my laptop attached to my head while gaming either.

I must admit, I didn't know there was hatred towards it.

There's pure animosity at times towards the people disappointed that the PS3 doesn't have cross-game chat. I've been in a number of discussions over it that seem to drag out the dregs of society. Hostility, berating each other, saying that they only want it because the 360 has it (which is insinuating they are petty children), calling it a useless feature that makes no sense. How else would you explain it?

It's either hatred or severe incompetence to the point in which it just makes them angry.

I would've posted this in the Vita forum, but I think it would hit harder amongst PS3 users.

While reading GameInformer it came to my attention that Vita would have Cross-Game Chat (a much requested feature amongst forum-going PS3 users, whether you personally care for it or not)... so I popped a few key words into Google and got a little dose of reality. While this is far from a "confirming" source, for the first time I feel like XGC will simply never, ever, ever happen in this generation of Playstation. Which is sad as it's something I used ALL the time in my brief ownership of the Xbox 360 and something I really wanted to see come to the PS3...

Anyways...

Source: http://www.destructo...ll-209334.phtml

I'm rather disappointed personally, but this isn't the first time the PS3's lack of resources has come up in the Cross-Game Chat discussion... so I guess I'm not too surprised.

I guess what hurts the most is why Sony kept PS3 users dangling for the last 5 years instead of just coming out and saying "the PS3 doesn't have the RAM to support it, sorry folks". Admittedly that may be a bad business move, but whatever. Some indicator that it was never going to happen would be nice instead of letting it rule the roost as #1 request on the PS Blog Share site for a year or two before speaking up.

Personally, I feel that they were trying different methods in hope that they could figure out a way for it to work. I honestly believe that Sony did everything they could think of before declaring that the PS3 just can't support cross game chat. Like you said, it's a hugely requested feature and Sony would be stupid to not even try to get it to work.

Honestly though, I really couldn't care less if cross game chat comes to the PS3, or PS4 for that matter. It's not a feature I use at all on my 360 and I can't see that changing just because they implement it on the PS3 or PS4. I can see though, that tons of people really like the feature so I hope it is available on the PlayStation 4 so no one will be upset if it's not there.

Parker

• Like 1

I agree 100%. I just do not know why anyone would want to talk to others who aren't even playing the same game I am. IMHO, if people are so interested in being social butterflies, try SKYPE or hell, give out your telephone number to talk to people. As it is, I don't talk a whole lot to people even when I am playing the same game, other than to give direction or ask for help, etc.

I have had very few issues finding friends to game with without cross-game chat. For me, the biggest issue are the various time-zones gamers are from, not the lack of cross-game chat.

I hear the "We have to start a new game all over"....I mean wow...really? That whole 1 or 2 minutes has such a drastic impact that makes Cross-game chat imperative? As stupid-crazy as it sounds, when I am online with my blue-tooth or headset, and I know a game/session is coming to a close, I tell whomever I wish to continue playing with to send me an invite after the current game is finished. I never had any problems doing this, and it takes all of what....45 seconds...maybe?

I could care less about Cross-game chat and find it a feature that, to me, is just plain useless.

It's either hatred or severe incompetence to the point in which it just makes them angry.

I find this funny as unless everyone agrees with those who want Cross-game chat, they call it hatred or incompetence, or whatever. God forbid if there are those like myself (and others) who just see no need for it. We are not entitled to our opinion about that, rather, our opinion is called hatred because we don't agree with those who drool at the very thought of cross-game chat and herald it as the second coming of Christ.

Not liking or seeing no need, in our opinion, is far different than hatred. People use words like hatred when they are responding to those who do not agree with their viewpoint.

• Like 2

I find this funny as unless everyone agrees with those who want Cross-game chat, they call it hatred or incompetence, or whatever. God forbid if there are those like myself (and others) who just see no need for it. We are not entitled to our opinion about that, rather, our opinion is called hatred because we don't agree with those who drool at the very thought of cross-game chat and herald it as the second coming of Christ.

There's a difference between walking into a thread and saying "oh, that's not my cup of tea... hope you guys get it some day though!" and "that's just fucking stupid, give up already. you're just lazy, you just want it because the Xbox has it you stupid fanboy". Believe you me, I've seen plenty of the latter.

Much of my 'tude stems from lengthy discussions about this elsewhere, not necessarily anything you guys have said.

And you bet your perky little ass I'm not giving out my phone number just to keep a steady voice stream with a boosting buddy. Skype is a possibility (albeit a more inconvenient one), but are you really so narrow-minded you don't see the convenience and use of a fully integrated, consistent voice chat solution? It's not just about chatting with people playing other games than you (though you can throw it on the lists of reasons to appreciate XGC), it makes life easier to get groups together in games, it makes life easier when a game finishes and the voice chat cuts out. The list of conveniences I mentioned earlier. Why not want it? Afraid of change?

but are you really so narrow-minded you don't see the convenience and use of a fully integrated, consistent voice chat solution? It's not just about chatting with people playing other games than you (though you can throw it on the lists of reasons to appreciate XGC), it makes life easier to get groups together in games, it makes life easier when a game finishes and the voice chat cuts out. The list of conveniences I mentioned earlier. Why not want it? Afraid of change?

Wow...so there we go. I don't see a need in it, and because I do not agree with your view-point and lobby for Cross-game chat, I am "Narrow minded"? How is that attitude any different than what you complain about above? Is it not just as childish to call people narrow minded when they do not agree with you and your reason(s) for wanting Cross-game Chat.

Although I see no need for it, nor could care less about it; I also didn't call those or refer to those who do as "idiots", "narrow-minded" or anything else. As a matter fo fact, the "hostility" mentioned in this thread actually seems to stem from those who do want Cross-game chat when they respond to those of us who could care less about it.

Afraid of change? Why hell yes, that is why I only play PONG on an old tube-powered TV, watch movies on VHS tapes and reply to these forums on an old MAC II computer. :rolleyes:

Wow...so there we go. I don't see a need in it, and because I do not agree with your view-point and lobby for Cross-game chat, I am "Narrow minded"?

I guess that's where you lose me. This isn't a debate. There shouldn't be any agreeing or disagreeing. I'm sure there were people who didn't agree with the viewpoint of seatbelts in cars, ignoring the fact that they made the car better and safer. Now look at where they are. Instead of saying "Hey, I don't agree with that but I see why it's useful"... they'd probably say "People should just drive better!"

The point is, cross-game chat is a useful feature. Take yourself out of it for a second (yeah, tough, I know). It makes the console better. Like seatbelts, all serious consoles and handhelds nowadays include the feature (the PS3 would too if not for the short-sighted RAM issue, the Vita has proven that) for a reason. It's a good feature! All the indifference you have in the world doesn't change that.

There shouldn't be any agreeing or disagreeing.

You can't state the above when followed by the quote below.

The point is, cross-game chat is a useful feature.

Some find it useful and want it, others do not and could care less. That is the epitome of "Agree" or "Disagree".

I think, for me anyway, it isn't so much the cross-game chat per se, but how and why, with everything else the PS3 does have going for it, the lack of a single feature can upset or anger so many people.

....I am curious about this comment though: "all serious consoles and handhelds nowadays include the feature"

What is considered a "serious console" as how the PS3 does not qualify due to the lack of this feature?

You can't state the above when followed by the quote below.

Some find it useful and want it, others do not and could care less. That is the epitome of "Agree" or "Disagree".

I think, for me anyway, it isn't so much the cross-game chat per se, but how and why, with everything else the PS3 does have going for it, the lack of a single feature can upset or anger so many people.

....I am curious about this comment though: "all serious consoles and handhelds nowadays include the feature"

What is considered a "serious console" as how the PS3 does not qualify due to the lack of this feature?

First part, anyone can appreciate a feature with so much upside and so little downside. Even if you don't intend to use it. If you still consider it useless despite so many people wanting to use it and so many reasons to use it... then I think that's the definition of "narrow-minded". Look beyond yourself, the bigger picture. It makes the PS3 a better console.

Second part, the PS3 apparently could not handle it, which given it's inclusion on the Vita... is the ONLY reason the PS3 doesn't have it now.

Personally, I'm in the 'no need for it' camp. I have zero interest in talking to people playing a different game to me. If I'm online and talking to anyone, it should be team-mates in the same game as me.

When I play single-player, I'm offline anyway so that I don't keep getting notification messages and the like. If I'm focussed on a single-player game, I get pissed off if someone in the same room speaks to me - so I certainly don't want anyone talking to me online while they're playing something else.

That said, it's a shame they can't add it just to shut people up about it! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

First part, anyone can appreciate a feature with so much upside and so little downside. Even if you don't intend to use it. If you still consider it useless despite so many people wanting to use it and so many reasons to use it... then I think that's the definition of "narrow-minded". Look beyond yourself, the bigger picture. It makes the PS3 a better console.

Whoa, wait...there are a few here who also said they could care less about it. Are we not also part of the "gaming community" who are allowed to have a voice and state our thoughts on Cross-game chat as a useful feature.

Although I see no use for it (which would be my indifference...you can't like or care for what one does not want or will use), I also have not continually tried to berate those who do; or consider them "narrow minded" for wanting such. I simply stated that I do not see a need for such a feature and do not see what the fuss is about. I never said anyone is an idiot or "narrow minded" becasue they do want the feature.

...until then, I will enjoy my "less superior" console even though it lacks this single feature. :P

That said, it's a shame they can't add it just to shut people up about it! :rolleyes:

Loool, no kidding!

No, you call people that who try to hinder progress, not forward it.

Please quote anywhere in this conversation where I stated anyone is narrow minded or an idiot for wanting this feature. I also have never stated that the technology behind such is defunct nor without merit. There is a huge difference between saying I see no use for cross-game chat and wanting to halt technology and progress.

If you will also take a look at this thread, there is only 1 other person who said they would use Cross-game chat. Out of all the responses (not including yours and mine outside of our original post), there are 8 other respondents who do not care or would not use this feature.

Counting you and the 1 other person, that is a ratio of only 25% of people who have responded (so far) that are in favor of this "much requested" technology. That leaves a remaining total of 75% who do not care or would not use it.

Like it or not, the percentage of those who could care less about cross-game chat and those who are interested is quite large (again, based on the numbers and people responding thus far). The percentages may not be spot-on, but they are within +/- 2%.

What makes a console better is purely subjective to each gamer. Having XGC, in my opinion, doesn't make my PS3 better (I have it on my 360, don't use it there either), what makes something better is having a feature that you'd use regularly.

Take this website for example, what features Sly adds to it will please some and not others, has he made it better? Yes, but only to those that like/want the features he's added. What about those that wouldn't make use of the features added?

If someone point blankly refuses to try and see what benefit a feature has to someone who'd make good use of it (or call it useless just because they won't use it at all) then I would call them "narrow-minded".

If I was so inclined to want XGC and I'd splashed out on a headset for use in on-line gaming, then hell yes I'd want to use it to speak to others who are doing the exact same thing on the exact same console, rather than fire up another machine to do just that and hope everyone else is using the same software. The fact the PS3 isn't capable due to ram is just an oversight on Sony's part.

Let's not forget that the next gen of consoles aren't really that far away (I'm 37 in Jan, time seems to go quicker than I'd like) so this isn't really an issue for much longer (assuming all PS3 owners buy a PS4).