Would it be more beneficial to wait on buying this game?

Viper

So I've had my eye on this game for awhile now, and as of today the Ultimate Stunt Edition is on sale for 70% off. I was going to pick it up...until I realized there's now a third Season pass. Which, of course, isn't part of the Ultimate Edition, and costs $30 in it's own right (ridiculous). 

Are we expecting this game to get a 4th Season Pass, maybe even more after that? Would it be more beneficial to just wait until some kind of future Complete Edition lands? Are there any trophies in the 3rd pass? 

Edited by Viper

4 hours ago, Viper said:

So I've had my eye on this game for awhile now, and as of today the Ultimate Stunt Edition is on sale for 70% off. I was going to pick it up...until I realized there's now a third Season pass. Which, of course, isn't part of the Ultimate Edition, and costs $30 in it's own right (ridiculous). 

Are we expecting this game to get a 4th Season Pass, maybe even more after that? Would it be more beneficial to just wait until some kind of future Complete Edition lands? Are there any trophies in the 3rd pass? 

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I think I'll wait until there is a complete edition that includes all three expansions or season passes. Neither have ever been on sale in the AU store (and the price for pass 2 even went up - you might need to manually change the region)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iBroke-Bad said:

You don’t have to buy the season pass for the trophies. You would need to buy the 3 DLCs that cost 15€/$/… each. So at least 45€ in DLCs for 100% completion.

some DLC was already on sale for i believe 10€ in one of the latest sales

True, but I also feel like some of the appeal of this game is....cool Hot Wheels. Usually I wouldn't care too much about extra cars in a racing game, but it seems like it's kind of the point with this one. I guess I'm mostly worried about the future. How many Passes could we end up getting? 4? 5? 10? Even with just expansions, at $15 a pop, that adds up. And the Batman expansion (the first one) is only now at it's lowest price ever of $8.99, not even half off yet. 

Logic tells me to wait as I'm probably not even going to play it right away anyways (I have like 9 other racing games in my backlog). My pessimism tells me this game could be in for a hefty future with DLC and that some kind of Complete Edition could be far off anyways. But my head says "take advantage of this sale, this edition likely won't go much lower than this, spend da monies!".

I got the ultimate edition, I'll get season pass 3 when it goes on sale.

I don't mind giving money to developers who make good games and support them for a long time. Especially as there aren't any microtransactions, which is why I didn't buy it at launch, I was certain they'd eventually charge money per car. 

The reason I'm not waiting for an ultimate ultimate collection is mainly because if that never happens then online will probably be pretty dead in a few years time. And with a game like this online seems like great fun. So I'd rather lose a few quid now while the online is active.

From the reviews I've seen on YouTube the base game alone seems packed with content. I think the ultimate edition is a great deal. (includes season 1 and 2)

Edited by Deadvember
  • Like 1

There are only 3 season passes which were announced/planned a long time ago so I think it is very unlikely that anything else gets added at this point.

I have the base game but am tempted to buy the Ultimate Edition myself at $27 to get the first two season passes and just sell my disc on eBay.  Then I’d get either the Season 3 pass or Looney Toones DLC somewhere down the line when that goes on sale.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Viper said:

It's Milestone, and if you know anything about them they always have a DLC roadmap before a game ever launches. They typically support a game with DLC for a full year after launch, and since this released last September, that should mean there isn't too much DLC left to be added. That's assuming Milestone stick to their usual plan. I found this on their website for what it's worth: 

IzENUcH.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, djb5f said:

There are only 3 season passes which were announced/planned a long time ago so I think it is very unlikely that anything else gets added at this point.

I have the base game but am tempted to buy the Ultimate Edition myself at $27 to get the first two season passes and just sell my disc on eBay.  Then I’d get either the Season 3 pass or Looney Toones DLC somewhere down the line when that goes on sale.

2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

It's Milestone, and if you know anything about them they always have a DLC roadmap before a game ever launches. They typically support a game with DLC for a full year after launch, and since this released last September, that should mean there isn't too much DLC left to be added. That's assuming Milestone stick to their usual plan. I found this on their website for what it's worth: 

IzENUcH.png

Ahh, see this is what I was looking for...I didn't know there were only 3 passes planned from the start. I assumed since Pass 1 and 2 were in the Ultimate Edition that's what was originally planned...then BAM a third pass lands. Since a lot of games like to do this nowadays...give you an Ultimate Edition then release MORE DLC outside of it, I was worried there might be a lot more on the way. 

But if this is the case, then I might as well just pull the trigger now and get the third pass later. Thanks!

I don't buy a huge amount of DLC but this one has been worth it, although I only had to purchase the third pass as I had the ultimate edition at launch. 

If the ultimate edition goes on sale I'd say grab it with both hands, you won't regret it.

Edited by Anke

I've had my eyes on this game for a while and have been considering getting it soon because the DLCs for it seem like a time bomb. Since the DLCs for this game are tied to other major franchises--Batman, Looney Tunes, etc.--they'll almost certainly be delisted someday due to licensing issues, and their trophies will become unobtainable if you didn't buy them beforehand. Hopefully that won't be for a very long time, but you may not want to wait too long since you never know when licenses/agreements might expire and they have to pull these DLCs from sale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SaySykesRN said:

Surely they’ll add the 3rd pass to the ultimate later right? Other games have done that

I'd be really surprised. The roadmap posted by Alchemist above seems to suggest that this was the plan the whole time...3 passes. But there's a Collector's Edition that only had the first Pass in it, then this Ultimate Edition with 1 and 2. So if the third was always planned, then it was their intention to release it like this to begin with. 

So in other words Day 1 adopters paid $90 for the Ultimate Edition and still had to pay another $30 for the third pass. I miss the days when the Ultimate Edition (or whatever buzz words they wanted to call it) meant you got everything in one package. 

1 minute ago, barra333 said:

There will likely be a super-duper ultimate mega definitive edition released before Christmas that has all 3 passes...

Maybe. But we've been seeing it more and more nowadays, where they give us this grand edition of the game with most of the DLC and still release more DLC outside of it, never to give us an even bigger edition with all of it together.

Doesn't matter for me now, I pulled the trigger and bought the Ultimate Edition. We'll see if I regret it later.