Do You Consider This Game "Shovelware"?

MrTacoNinja

Yes I do. I remember I was softlocked out of progressing it. Basically I explored every room possible that I found and that got me with 0 keys left. I had to go all the way back to the first level on foot and rejoin the second one just to make enemies respawn. I had to kill all of them in order to get the keys to open locked doors, but since I had rejoined the second level the game spawned even more rooms and I found myself stuck again with 0 keys left

5 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Not sure why it matters when you say you’ve already got 200+ shovelware games on your profile. What’s one more at that point lol.

It matters because I don't want to support shovelware garbage any longer. It's a stain on the trophy hunting community (that I've sadly and regrettably contributed to).

Not that my opinion even matters

Everyone's opinion matters. Sometimes without other people's opinions we don't have that extra nudge needed to make a final determination. If no one's opinion mattered I wouldn't have even bothered creating this thread, know what I mean? 

it has a lot of the typical shovelware markings. 11 gold trophies, a 60%+ rarity, an endorsement by lbaddriver etc.

A very strong point. Well said.

• Like 3

Ibaddriveri always recommends easy platinum games, not just shovelware. 

Bunny Raiders is lacking the strong point of offering trophies for money, since the game is completely free. You still have to get to the boss and while the game's still on the easy side.

11 gold trophies doesn't automatically indicate shovelware, e.g. Terminator Salvation or various Ratalaika games have those trophy lists too and they are far beyond a Stroke the Animal game.

60%+ rarity in a shovelware world where 95%+ rarity are the norm isnt an indicator for shovelware as well.

• Like 1

Maybe "shovelware" is just the wrong term to use. 

What do we want to call a game that comes out for $2, that takes only minutes to complete, and was approved to have a handful of gold trophies and a platinum? 

I for one would like to see a "filtered" view of the leaderboards with these types of titles removed. There seem to just be a flood of them and they are selling well so they will keep coming. Regardless of any conversations about "play what you enjoy" or "platinum trophies should be hard to get" the simple fact is that over time scooping up these easy platinums is going to skew the leaderboards, and you can see top leaders are doing these just to keep pace with trophy point count.

I for one would be down to see a with/without view to see how things change. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, B E said:

i enjoyed my time on this game so i don’t think so . good game overall imo

I immediately recognized your avatar picture and the "Central Plaza" you listed as your location, lol! All these years later dude and I still miss Home.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2023 at 2:30 PM, hore said:

Yes. Any game with <1h completion times are shovelware, including autopoppables like ESO - no if's or but's about it.

Doing any of these games will make me think very little of you, so don't.

First off... Bold of you to assume anyone gives a crap about what YOU think of them. 

Secondly... The original Mario Bros game can be beat in under an hour. 

So by your definition it would be considered shovel ware? 

Also the fact you claim auto pops as shovel ware tells me you have absolutely no idea what the definition even is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Azure Kite said:

First off... Bold of you to assume anyone gives a crap about what YOU think of them. 

Secondly... The original Mario Bros game can be beat in under an hour. 

So by your definition it would be considered shovel ware? 

Also the fact you claim auto pops as shovel ware tells me you have absolutely no idea what the definition even is. 

Ok this has gone on long enough lol, my post was a satirical response to what I hoped/wished was a satirical thread.

I mean, there are 2 possible reasons OP is asking this:

1. He saw/heard good things about the game and wants to play it, but the common rarity has him apprehensive that people will make fun of him for it.
  2. He saw that it's a fast platinum and thus wants to do it - regardless of how shitty it is - as long as it doesn't have the stigma of being shovelware.

Am I the crazy one to think these are both stupid reasons?

Edited by hore
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this game is fun, and have done multiple dungeon runs.

It's a shallow game, but it's no different in its dungeon running than a game like Cult of the Lamb.

It's literally just a roguelike dungeon crawler, but with no overall goal after each run (AFAIK).

Unlike shovleware where the goal is to collect money, and has no replay value (i.e. My Name is Mayo).

Something being easy doesn't make it shovleware.

Something being low quality doesn't make it shovelware.

Edited by jefXfree
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

The game doesn't seem shovelware to me, assuming that by shovelware you mean a game made just for a quick platinum made by developers who want to make effortless money.

Speaking of shovelware, I have personally stopped with the shovelware games as they are a money drain for me and I do like some of the shovelware games but I would rather spend money on other shit and chase platinums that take effort, etc.

This game is free so I don't think it is a shovelware tier game.

Edited by BrettyBoy

On 3/7/2023 at 6:02 PM, delfierro006 said:

Hells naw....yeah is crazy how gamers became trophy fiends....in my opinion I try to maintain the fun factor and trophy hunting in tandem because if you do it for just trophies..the fun factor disappears.

Ironically trophies is what gives gaming the "fun factor" for me. Honestly without trophies I highly doubt I'd even be gaming anymore. I know to those that put gaming first and trophies second (or not at all) that they scratch their heads in confusion over this but that's just the way it is for me. I don't know why but without trophies games are just... boring to me. Prior to trophies existing it used to be the other way around but that was also a long time ago (2008, I think, is when the implementation of trophies took place???). 

On 3/7/2023 at 9:18 PM, hore said:

Ok this has gone on long enough lol, my post was a satirical response to what I hoped/wished was a satirical thread.

I mean, there are 2 possible reasons OP is asking this:

1. He saw/heard good things about the game and wants to play it, but the common rarity has him apprehensive that people will make fun of him for it.
  2. He saw that it's a fast platinum and thus wants to do it - regardless of how shitty it is - as long as it doesn't have the stigma of being shovelware.

Am I the crazy one to think these are both stupid reasons?

Sure sounds stupid to me. Do you know what else is stupid? Assuming shit and being completely wrong. I literally stated my reasoning for creating this thread a couple posts above. In case you somehow missed it (apparently you did I guess) this is what I said: "I don't want to support shovelware garbage any longer. It's a stain on the trophy hunting community (that I've sadly and regrettably contributed to)". THAT is why I created this thread and asked the question I asked because I was unsure and didn't want this game on my trophy list if it is.

Trust me, it has nothing whatsoever to do with being "made fun of" or any of the other assumptions you made. Besides, people constantly take jabs at my list because of shovelware games being on there and usually after I respond and lay out simple mathematics for them they shut the fuck up because without fail they ALWAYS exaggerate the shit out of it, making it seem like it's all my list is filled with even though it only takes up about 23% of my entire list. That is a ridiculously low percentage when it's a gaming list as big as mine. But you know how the internet is, people love to talk shit and have nothing to back it up. Unfortunately the shovelware garbage I have cannot be undone no matter how much I wish it could be, but I can at least prevent any more of it from getting on my list by creating threads like this and asking questions to find out just in case I'm unsure about something (safe rather than sorry). 

Also, your use of the word satire has me confused and I fail to see how it applies here. According to the dictionary satire means the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. I simply asked if a particular game was considered shovelware. How, exactly, is that satire? Am I missing something here?

On 2/11/2023 at 10:30 PM, hore said:

Yes. Any game with <1h completion times are shovelware, including autopoppables like ESO - no if's or but's about it.

Doing any of these games will make me think very little of you, so don't.

I'm sorry, when did I ever ask for or even give the impression that I cared about receiving validation from you? I know that nowadays we live in a world where people seem to think their self-worth is measured in followers, subscribers, likes, praise from random strangers on the internet... yadda yadda, all that nonsense. But to me shit like that is as insignificant as insignificant can get. The last place I'd ever go to seek out validation is on the internet from people I don't know, will never know and quite frankly don't care to know.

On 7/21/2023 at 7:04 PM, BrettyBoy said:

I have personally stopped with the shovelware games as they are a money drain for me and I do like some of the shovelware games but I would rather spend money on other shit and chase platinums that take effort, etc.

Same, I stopped like 2 years ago. I regret staining my profile with them and wish I had never played them.

Anyway, I locked the thread as I see no further point in it. I never played this game and deleted it from my list. Problem solved on whether or not it's shovelware. Thank you to all those that responded in a constructive way.

Edited by MrTacoNinja