Do NOT Buy for VR if you are a Trophy Hunter - No trophy support

thefourfoldroot

2 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I agree I could have expressed myself in a more calm manner, but that wasn’t my intention. My intent was to vent my disappointment and incomprehension and also just warn people who like trophy campaigns that this does not include one. 
myself, for me, without a trophy campaign this is half a game. A narrative campaign is fine, but that means I’d be very unlikely to replay the game again as I’d know the story. Additional tasks are fun for me and keep me focused and having things to do long after the normal part of the game is finished. For me that is essential for continued enjoyment.

Trophy support has always been mandated by Sony, so it is perfectly reasonable to presume this would have trophy support. Even their last Resi game had it in VR. If they were going to lock the trophy campaign just for people who use VR, that should have been made clear before purchase.

Resident Evil 8: Village does provide support for trophies. Virtual reality is only a mode which launched. Not to mention that the game wasn't developed solely with virtual reality as a consideration. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is a different game. PlayStation VR is also a different headset. In other words, what once was might not always be.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, notandrebraun said:

Resident Evil 8: Village does provide support for trophies. Virtual reality is only a mode which launched. Not to mention that the game wasn't developed solely with virtual reality as a consideration. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard is a different game. PlayStation VR is also a different headset. In other words, what once was might not always be.

Which is fine. But the VR version was released a long time after the base game and this was heavily advertised by Sony and Capcom when the headset released. If they would have simply said that the VR game doesn’t allow for trophies I wouldn’t have bought it. Which I suspect was the intent In not mentioning it. Unless there is just a delay, which is still my hope.

7 minutes ago, leonhardyhardy said:

This is baffling to me, it's an absolutely fantastic game, worth playing without a VR 

I’ve not played a resi game in a long time. I’m not a resi fan. But being in VR makes many games much better than flat, especially horror games.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

5 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Which is fine. But the VR version was released a long time after the base game and this was heavily advertised by Sony and Capcom when the headset released. If they would have simply said that the VR game doesn’t allow for trophies I wouldn’t have bought it. Which I suspect was the intent I’m not mentioning it. Unless there is just a delay, which is still my hope.

Considering that PlayStation VR2 only released three days ago now, Capcom can still eventually update the game to support every trophy with it. In the meantime, there are other games which launched with its release that you can still play to warrant the purchase if you want.

Edited by notandrebraun

2 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

I don't understand the reactions to this thread. This is still a trophy site, correct? 

If I bought a game expecting trophies and there were none, I'd be pissed too. 

It was bad enough that our saves didn't carry over to the VR update, but for trophies to not be supported either? That's a very, very strange thing to see. 

So strange that I'm assuming it's an oversight and will be corrected soon.

Yes this is a trophy site, and we're all commited to trophies, but at the same time, we like games. And saying a game is unplayable because it doesn't support trophies in one mode (which its completely in its rights to do), then thats not somebody that likes games. If you're spending £35 on a game, then do the research (the no trophies wasn't a secret), or don't complain when it's not what you assumed it is.

The game has trophy support, it has from day one, they just added a mode almost 2 years after launch which doesn't support it. That's completely fair, they have their reasons. Trophies are made around the game, games aren't made around the trophies. If they don't think it'd work, and that they'd have to change stuff to add them, then no trophies come first over changed gameplay.

Also it's not an oversight, it tells you the mode doesn't support trophies before you even load in, it was a deliberate thing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, notandrebraun said:

Considering that PlayStation VR2 only released three days ago now, Capcom can still eventually update the game to support every trophy with it. In the meantime, there are other games which launched with its release that you can still play to warrant the purchase if you want.

Of course. As I am playing them. Horizon is great, Kayak is good, but this is the one I was really enjoying from yesterday. Shame. Will probably buy the moss duology.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Web_Extension said:

(the no trophies wasn't a secret) [..]

The game has trophy support, […]

If they don't think it'd work, and that they'd have to change stuff to add them, then no trophies come first over changed gameplay.

Also it's not an oversight, it tells you the mode doesn't support trophies before you even load in, it was a deliberate thing.

Where did they say the VR game wouldn’t have trophies. I might have missed it, but I’ve been reading and watching lots of content waiting for the VR, so if I missed it most did.

For me it doesn’t have trophy support as I’m only going to play it in VR.

No reason it wouldn’t work. The trophy checks don’t need to change. It’s mainly about collectible and completing the game on various difficulties as well as killing enemies.

They say it doesn’t follow on from the flat game, the saves don’t either, it wasn’t phrased in a way to remove the possibility of trophies being added.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Web_Extension said:

Yes this is a trophy site, and we're all commited to trophies, but at the same time, we like games. And saying a game is unplayable because it doesn't support trophies in one mode (which its completely in its rights to do), then thats not somebody that likes games. If you're spending £35 on a game, then do the research (the no trophies wasn't a secret), or don't complain when it's not what you assumed it is.

The game has trophy support, it has from day one, they just added a mode almost 2 years after launch which doesn't support it. That's completely fair, they have their reasons. Trophies are made around the game, games aren't made around the trophies. If they don't think it'd work, and that they'd have to change stuff to add them, then no trophies come first over changed gameplay.

I don't remember hearing that there weren't going to be trophies for the VR "version". I was under the impression it was a patch, never did I imagine trophies wouldn't be supported. 

I myself have waited to play the Winters expansion because I was going to dabble in the VR a bit. It would have never occurred to me that I couldn't get trophies that way.

I didn't have PSVR1, did Resi 7 have trophies in VR? If there was a precedent it'd be good to know.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

"Won't play games if they don't offer trophy support"

.......saying that while having more than half of their games half finished...

I  can't with some people here.

I don’t play games to completion if I don’t like them, it’s that simple. Trophies don’t make a bad game good, but they can make a good game worth completing multiple times when I wouldn’t otherwise, or even make a playthrough enjoyable enough to finish when I wouldn’t otherwise. I’m not a slave to trophies, I just enjoy them.

enough that I don’t want to forgo them unless there is literally no trophy enabled game I have left to play (will never happen again in my lifetime).

3 minutes ago, TheBlackFool said:

"Disgusting" seems like a pretty severe overreaction. It's still a good game that's completely playable. That's the most important part of gaming. I know what site I'm on but there's a lot more to games than trophies. 

I should have specified that it’s disgusting neither Capcom nor Sony let us know of this change in policy before purchase. Well, I guess they get around it on the technicality that’s it’s not a new game - just a new mode with completely different gameplay and inputs and additional VR challenges. Selling it years after release on the back of PSVR2, and heavily advertising the device with it, is undoubtedly scummy though.

25 minutes ago, Plattitudes said:

I want to reply with as much snark as some of these comments, but I'll try to save it.  I appreciate the heads up man, and assuming you wasted your money thinking you could play the whole game in VR to earn the platinum, I sympathise with you. After all, why wouldn't you be able to? You could in RE7. Shit, I nearly bought the game myself yesterday on that assumption.

I deliberately waited on playing RE8 at release because I had a feeling it would eventually get a VR mode. I wanted my first experience with the game to be in VR. I was hoping to do the same thing for RE8 as I did for RE7 - my first playthrough in VR, and every other playthrough and DLC in 2D. 

I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to sympathise with you, especially on a trophy hunting site. I don't want to have to add another playthrough to my platinum to play in VR. It would be great to be able to make progress towards that under the headset. While I don't share the view that the game isn't worth playing in 2D, I don't begrudge you for feeling that way either.

Thanks again mate. Looks like I'll continue waiting until this game and its dlc are under $20 total. If trophies get patched in for VR, I'll pick it up earlier. This is really a shame to me as well.

Glad you were pre warned in time.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewVegasNick said:

God forbid you play a game for fun.

Trophies are cool and fun but are you so addicted that you can't find it in yourself to play a single game that doesn't have them????

Why do I have to when I have dozens of games with both a fun narrative campaign and a fun trophy campaign? If I had nothing else to play I might think about it.

5 minutes ago, Jeanoltt said:

I would like to have the privilege to buy a 500$ system at launch and end up whining about trophies. 

The psvr2 was announced about a year ago. You could have saved up money like I did in the mean time. 

But I somewhat agree. I dunno if I'd go as far as saying that it's "disgusting"  but disappointing for sure. 

2 hours ago, Plattitudes said:

I want to reply with as much snark as some of these comments, but I'll try to save it.  I appreciate the heads up man, and assuming you wasted your money thinking you could play the whole game in VR to earn the platinum, I sympathise with you. After all, why wouldn't you be able to? You could in RE7. Shit, I nearly bought the game myself yesterday on that assumption.

I deliberately waited on playing RE8 at release because I had a feeling it would eventually get a VR mode. I wanted my first experience with the game to be in VR. I was hoping to do the same thing for RE8 as I did for RE7 - my first playthrough in VR, and every other playthrough and DLC in 2D. 

I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to sympathise with you, especially on a trophy hunting site. I don't want to have to add another playthrough to my platinum to play in VR. It would be great to be able to make progress towards that under the headset. While I don't share the view that the game isn't worth playing in 2D, I don't begrudge you for feeling that way either.

Thanks again mate. Looks like I'll continue waiting until this game and its dlc are under $20 total. If trophies get patched in for VR, I'll pick it up earlier. This is really a shame to me as well.

I sympathise with him buying the game for VR trophies and it not having any. And I also appreciate that RE7 would have suggested that RE8 would. And i don't mind him warning other about the situation. But it's just unfortunate, Capcom isn't to blame. I'm against him making it out like Capcom is lazy and can't be bothered. Given that the game was designed for flatscreen, they did a truly incredible job at implementing the VR, so I think it's unfair to make it seem like they're idiots and at fault. If you want to play a game for trophies, then by all means do that, but calling it "unplayable" is just unfair.

It wasn't widely publicised that trophies didn't work in VR, but they had no obligation or expectation to. If he'd have waited a little bit then he'd have seen the warnings about it. If you're spending money on a game, you should either find out if the main thing you're wanting from a game is there (as long as it doesn't spoil the game, which this wouldn't), or don't be annoyed when it doesn't have what you assumed it would. And no game has ever publicised in announcements whether it has trophy support or not, so the expectation for Capcom to do that is unfair. Trophies are a bit part of gaming for some people, but you can't blame companies when they don't make this stuff clear.

Pretty much, I feel for him, it's unfortunate, but attacking Capcom like it's their fault isn't the solution to this, as they actually went beyond what most developers would have done.

8 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I bought a £560 system and now can’t play my most anticipated game that I’m having a bit of a moan(?).

You can.

7 minutes ago, Profeelgood said:

The psvr2 was announced about a year ago. You could have saved up money like I did in the mean time. 

Let me guess, USA?

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 1