Do NOT Buy for VR if you are a Trophy Hunter - No trophy support

thefourfoldroot

6 hours ago, Web_Extension said:

We had all talked it out. Both side had seen where they're right and where they're wrong. There's no need to come in and start it up again with needless comments like that.

I'm very happy for you all, but if everyone else was allowed to add in their ridiculous comments, I can have my say as well. There's no time limit, and I'm not interested in whether or not you think my comment was "needless".

4 hours ago, Zeep_Xanflorp92 said:

The amount of negativity and berating people get for having a difference of opinion is baffling. They literally posted to warn others who had the same expectation, and maybe create some conversation about the same dissatisfaction.

You may already be aware, but this thread happens all the time on this site. The last one I saw was for God of War Ragnarok. Long ago I remember video games being for "nerds", so some people were actually afraid to admit they would play them. Of course, these days it's cool to play video games, but now trophy hunting is for "nerds" even though all you're doing by trophy hunting is playing video games. That's probably why some of these people react that way. What's really baffling to me is when I see people talk about how great this community is. I have never seen a community that hates itself more than this trophy hunting community.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

What's really baffling to me is when I see people talk about how great this community is. I have never seen a community that hates itself more than this trophy hunting community.

It used to be but started going downwards around the time the PS4 came out. Now, if you do the math you'll know why that is..

I can understand the disappointment, to a point, but equally, I understand the reaction to the OP…

…and both are a little too extreme in my book. :dunno:

Trophies are fun, and it’s nice having that little additional incentive in games.

Not only because it’s a a nice way to gauge your own achievement, and one that has become a relatively standardised thing one can generally expect in games on these consoles, but also because it fosters a feeing of being part of a community of people all doing the same thing.

Trophies offer a good shorthand when discussing games with other people on the site, and even for those of us who don’t see trophies as the “goal” and just like them as a secondary thing, they still bind people together and make a game experience feel more “community driven” as they spark discussion, drive more people to the game (or mode within the game), and guarantee a greater level of interaction and discourse around it.

I’m playing Hitman 3’s new freelancer mode recently, and absolutely love it…

…but while I would never let the lack of trophies for it deter me from enjoying such an awesome thing, I can’t deny that I am a little sad it has none.

Not because I want to “brag” or “show off” my achievements, and not because I feel like the game isn’t worth playing without them - it demonstrably is! - but simply because if it did have trophies, I think there would be a far larger pool of people on my favourite gaming forum with whom I could talk about it, exchange tips and tricks, compare experiences, and just generally feel connected to as I play.

So, I understand the OP, to a point.

However - I think this community in particular has gone beyond the “trophies matter the most” phase now, and tend to baulk when presented with a viewpoint that rudely dismisses or shits on a great game simply because it doesn’t have trophies, or doesn’t have a good trophy list, or doesn’t have a platinum - and with good reason.

They have seen the natural end point of that way of thinking made manifest, and it has come dangerously close to completely dismantling the whole trophy concept: Shovelware.

I think when people see a thread that is so pointedly attacking a good game like RE8 - one that is well made, took a lot of effort, and was made with care and passion - simply due to some minor trophy elements, they recognise a kind of “trophies first, gaming second” train of thought that directly led to, and is responsible for, the current situation: 

where “games” that are barely games, are made with zero effort, and only exist to service the gluttonous desires for trophies, without even lip-service paid to fun, or challenge, or gaming experience, are so ubiquitous and prevalent that they have all but eradicated the meaning of the trophy system, outside of more “boutique” sites like this one.

The rhetoric around trophies, even within the trophy community and on trophy sites like this one, has shifted considerably.

This is a trophy site primarily - but a lot of people who joined this site with trophies as thier primary focus originally, see it more as a “gaming” forum now - and don’t necessarily like to see great, well made games being called “broken” or “unfinished” or “a mess”, simply because they don’t offer some digital jewellery to add to a profile.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I can understand the disappointment, to a point, but equally, I understand the reaction to the OP…

…and both are a little too extreme in my book. :dunno:

Trophies are fun, and it’s nice having that little additional incentive in games.

Not only because it’s a a nice way to gauge your own achievement, and one that has become a relatively standardised thing one can generally expect in games on these consoles, but also because it fosters a feeing of being part of a community of people all doing the same thing.

Trophies offer a good shorthand when discussing games with other people on the site, and even for those of us who don’t see trophies as the “goal” and just like them as a secondary thing, they still bind people together and make a game experience feel more “community driven” as they spark discussion, drive more people to the game (or mode within the game), and guarantee a greater level of interaction and discourse around it.

I’m playing Hitman 3’s new freelancer mode recently, and absolutely love it…

…but while I would never let the lack of trophies for it deter me from enjoying such an awesome thing, I can’t deny that I am a little sad it has none.

Not because I want to “brag” or “show off” my achievements, and not because I feel like the game isn’t worth playing without them - it demonstrably is! - but simply because if it did have trophies, I think there would be a far larger pool of people on my favourite gaming forum with whom I could talk about it, exchange tips and tricks, compare experiences, and just generally feel connected to as I play.

So, I understand the OP, to a point.

However - I think this community in particular has gone beyond the “trophies matter the most” phase now, and tend to baulk when presented with a viewpoint that rudely dismisses or shits on a great game simply because it doesn’t have trophies, or doesn’t have a good trophy list, or doesn’t have a platinum - and with good reason.

They have seen the natural end point of that way of thinking made manifest, and it has come dangerously close to completely dismantling the whole trophy concept: Shovelware.

I think when people see a thread that is so pointedly attacking a good game like RE8 - one that is well made, took a lot of effort, and was made with care and passion - simply due to some minor trophy elements, they recognise a kind of “trophies first, gaming second” train of thought that directly led to, and is responsible for, the current situation: 

where “games” that are barely games, are made with zero effort, and only exist to service the gluttonous desires for trophies, without even lip-service paid to fun, or challenge, or gaming experience, are so ubiquitous and prevalent that they have all but eradicated the meaning of the trophy system, outside of more “boutique” sites like this one.

The rhetoric around trophies, even within the trophy community and on trophy sites like this one, has shifted considerably.

This is a trophy site primarily - but a lot of people who joined this site with trophies as thier primary focus originally, see it more as a “gaming” forum now - and don’t necessarily like to see great, well made games being called “broken” or “unfinished” or “a mess”, simply because they don’t offer some digital jewellery to add to a profile.

I appreciate your perspective man, but just wanted to pop in to say that I didn’t call the game trash for not having trophies - in fact I praised it for being one of the best PSVR2 games on a technical, gameplay, and content level. My feeling that it is lacking due to not having trophies is completely my own and I presumed people could make their own mind up with the information.

Sure, I was annoyed and disappointed to discover this only post purchase, and that’s where my criticism of Capcom and Sony came in. It would be like buying Skyrim and discovering trophies didn’t work if you wanted to play it in third person mode, completely baffling and something they should have said before release, but I wouldn’t want people to not buy it for this reason because we need big AAA games like this in VR.

i’m not playing it now for two reasons: because I don’t want to get far in and then Capcom release the patch to allow trophies, leading to me having to start all over again; and because without a fun trophy campaign I feel like the game is unfinished and I’ll go play games that have both the narrative and the trophy campaign included. If people get annoyed by that, just remember it’s my opinion only.

Really not sure why I have to type such an obvious thing. People are taking my gaming preferences far too seriously. More seriously than even I do.

My only counterpoint to your issue of people taking trophies so seriously that it leads to shovelware, would be that if nobody showed they cared about trophies Sony may just let devs drop the feature completely. Which would be worse in my opinion.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ArtMontef said:

You are really simplifying the whole thread.

The OP was much more extreme than it could have been, but that doesn't really matter because even when people very calmly complain about games not having trophies a half dozen people will still butt in with the same "how dare you care about trophies?!" spiel.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ArtMontef said:

You are really simplifying the whole thread. 

There is issue with trophies not popping. Yes. But let me give you an example what he could have done:

"Hey guys, the VR2 version of this game does not pop trophies, if you bought it as I did, beware because you won't be able to get a plat that way. I am really annoyed because I was looking forward to it, because it is one of the biggest games on PSVR2, and tbh I kinda lost any will to play it because it doesn't pop any trophies, Capcom should really fix it, does anyone know where I could contact Capcom customer service to see if they will fix it?" 

Instead he made a thread and said it is DISGUSTING Sony allowed it to release it in such state, that in his opinion it's half a game etc. People took issue with way he presented the case like trophies not popping automatically make the game unplayable ("released in such state") or really bad quality (half a game). I can't vouch for all, but most of people seem to got annoyed with the dramatic representation of the problem, especially since trophies work flawlessly in normal mode, and VR version is a free update for everyone that already has it. 

We are on a trophy hunting website, but there is a difference between treating trophies as an add-on, incentive to play games, way to challenge yourself, collect plats, be proud of your achievements, and acting like trophy hunting is the sole purpose of gaming as a whole and nothing else matters. 

I am just tired with internet discourse overall, everything is always black and white for people, noone is looking for any middle ground,but rather goes straight for the throat as the world is ending. This topic has been beaten to death every time some trophy is bugged or not syncing, or anything of that case. Why can't we all aknowledge that of course, trophies are important for trophy hunters, but when they not pop, bug out or anything it's not gonna make the world implode, and dismissing whole ass game (especially as widely praised game as RE8) is a bit much. He is entitled to feel that way, of course, but let me put it into perspective, I was trying to get plat for Ni No Kuni Remastered, the last trophy bugged out on me, after over 150 hours. I have lost all the will to replay it because of that, deleted it and probably won't touch it anymore, but you know what? I still recommend the game to all my friends and aknowledge it's amazing, it's not incomplete, I don't blame the company, it just did bug out on me, end of story. Here situation is different, but the point is- it's FREE DLC, not a separate game, it was added on. If trophies did not pop at all in separate version of the game reaction would be different. 

Guys, just chill. If you don't agree with OPs opinion, we can aknowledge he was overly dramatic, yes, but there is also legit issue here. That's all, there is a middle ground that people seem to miss

Yes, yes, I admitted to being a bit dramatic in my frustration but, to be honest, I’m started to feel people are being a bit over dramatic about my dramatisism, seriously, lol.

Anyway, I didn’t plan to come back, except I was just told that there might not even be a shop in the VR version of the game. In which case I completely revert back to my previous indignation x 10 because then it truly destroys all replay value.

I kind of think all this might be because of the way they have a profile save seperate from game saves, and maybe they can’t have two of those. Basically save issues. which would make me wonder why they didn’t just release a proper PSVR2 SKU that is a free download for existing flat owners. It’s not like saves transfer anyway.

BTW, saying “well, just play it flat if you want the full features, you don’t need to play it in VR” doesn’t fly when they are selling the game in the VR2 section of the Sony store (I.e. advertising it to the VR market without any warning that reviews of the flat game are in no way representative).

But, anyway, as I can’t confirm this for myself I’ll just wait and see if it comes up elsewhere or if I was lied to.

All of this would just be avoided if they would have said explicitly what was not in the game, rather than let everyone run with the narrative that “this is the full game guys!”

• Like 1

I don't know why anyone would say OP should have "done more research" or that the VR-ness somehow makes the trophies too easy or too hard to obtain and use this as justification for no trophies.

Look, every single game is released with trophies. All of them. Including the last Resident Evil game that got a VR patch after launch. 

It is completely reasonable to expect trophies in Village VR. It's also completely reasonable to be pissed and to warn others about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

Nah I'm with OP on this one. If they promised the full game in VR but removed the ability to earn trophies, then it's by definition not the full game.

It's not something I'd expect from a launch title to be honest.

It's still a full game. By your definition pre trophy games aren't full games, anything on Nintendo isn't a full game etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floorkiller74 said:

It's still a full game. By your definition pre trophy games aren't full games, anything on Nintendo isn't a full game etc. 

Nintendo switch or GameCube or ps2 didn't mandate trophy support for games. 

And also, if you're not a trophy hunter. Read the title of the post. The post isn't for you. It's for trophy hunters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Profeelgood said:

Nintendo switch or GameCube or ps2 didn't mandate trophy support for games. 

And also, if you're not a trophy hunter. Read the title of the post. The post isn't for you. It's for trophy hunters. 

I can read any thread I want, and comment on anything that I choose to. I don't need your approval. Are you even a trophy hunter?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Yes, yes, I admitted to being a bit dramatic in my frustration but, to be honest, I’m started to feel people are being a bit over dramatic about my dramatisism, seriously, lol.

Anyway, I didn’t plan to come back, except I was just told that there might not even be a shop in the VR version of the game. In which case I completely revert back to my previous indignation x 10 because then it truly destroys all replay value.

I kind of think all this might be because of the way they have a profile save seperate from game saves, and maybe they can’t have two of those. Basically save issues. which would make me wonder why they didn’t just release a proper PSVR2 SKU that is a free download for existing flat owners. It’s not like saves transfer anyway.

BTW, saying “well, just play it flat if you want the full features, you don’t need to play it in VR” doesn’t fly when they are selling the game in the VR2 section of the Sony store (I.e. advertising it to the VR market without any warning that reviews of the flat game are in no way representative).

But, anyway, as I can’t confirm this for myself I’ll just wait and see if it comes up elsewhere or if I was lied to.

All of this would just be avoided if they would have said explicitly what was not in the game, rather than let everyone run with the narrative that “this is the full game guys!”

Look at it this way:  If you play the game, you won't get any trophies.  If you don't play the game, you won't get any trophies.

Either way the trophy outcome is the same, so you might as well play the game and get some entertainment value from it so you won't have just flushed your money down the drain.

Pretend you are playing a switch game.  At least it's not as bad as having a glitched trophy list where you are stuck with an uncompelteable game on your list, and this one you can just delete the 0% list when you are done.

13 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

It may be a full game, but it is not the full game.

A full game by Nintendo doesn't contain trophies, but the full game of Resident Evil Village on PS5 does.

Another example, this blog post about the No Man's Sky PSVR2 update says this:

"Play the entirety of No Man’s Sky in virtual reality without compromise, with new levels of immersion."

If this VR mode didn't let you earn trophies, would you say that it is "without compromise"?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MrBeens said:

Look at it this way:  If you play the game, you won't get any trophies.  If you don't play the game, you won't get any trophies.

Either way the trophy outcome is the same, so you might as well play the game and get some entertainment value from it so you won't have just flushed your money down the drain.

Pretend you are playing a switch game.  At least it's not as bad as having a glitched trophy list where you are stuck with an uncompelteable game on your list, and this one you can just delete the 0% list when you are done.

Well, I’m still holding out hope they’ll release a patch to insert trophies. Also the shop if that was indeed removed. Not too bothered about the money. Got the game physically for £20 and can get most of that back if need be. In the meantime I have a craptonne of full games in my backlog. 

17 hours ago, Quink666 said:

This might be a blessing in disguise for you. You can beat the game and afterwards you can delete the 0% game from your list. 

Why is that a blessing in disguise? I honestly don’t care about completion rates or leaderboards or whatever. I want the trophies for the fun of the trophy campaign through multiple playthroughs.

On 26/02/2023 at 2:34 AM, yokauson said:

I finished my VR run about an hour ago. I understand why trophies are not supported. Gunplay is much more easier. Ethan feels faster when running. VR players have more of an advantage. 

Im completely fine with Capcom’s choice. I bought a VR for the experience, not for trophy hunting. 

Just a quick question as you finished a full VR playthrough. Does it include the same post game shop / perks to make subsequent playthroughs more interesting? I’m getting conflicting information.

On 25.02.2023 at 2:38 PM, yowzagabowza said:

I don't understand the reactions to this thread. This is still a trophy site, correct? 

If I bought a game expecting trophies and there were none, I'd be pissed too. 

It was bad enough that our saves didn't carry over to the VR update, but for trophies to not be supported either? That's a very, very strange thing to see. 

So strange that I'm assuming it's an oversight and will be corrected soon.

The fault is on the OP side, as i would have never purchased a game Day 1 without looking at a trophy list, if I were him. The fact he cares so much about trophies, but never bothered to see if the VR adds some or not, is baffling. 

2 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

The fault is on the OP side, as i would have never purchased a game Day 1 without looking at a trophy list, if I were him. The fact he cares so much about trophies, but never bothered to see if the VR adds some or not, is baffling. 

No, it is not reasonable to think this version of the game wouldn't have trophies. The precedent was set with Re7. That doesn't have two lists, you just earn the trophies like normal.

• Like 3