RPG Mania 2023 - The Octo-Path to Redemption - Congrats to SWWDevereux! (Completed)

5 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

@SWWDevereux, how did you find Sea of Stars?

I didn't have strong feelings about it which is why I didn't post any thoughts, to me it felt like a 'classic style rpg' for people who typically don't play rpgs. It's got some amazing pixel art and some great songs in the OST but there wasn't enough gameplay wise for me to sink my teeth into. I thought the writing was often quite poor and the combat felt like a bit of a chore after a while. Good game but nothing too outstanding imo

• Like 1

Update #26 ( 276.28 )

Dodgeball Academia

100 + 68 = 168 - 41.72 = 126.28 + 50 ( Speedrun ) + 100 ( Seasonal #3 ) = 276.28

Spoiler

There is also "secret" club gathering in Library basement.

5tsEuKs.jpg

22 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

To @SWWDevereux and @Laburnski, how did you find Sea of Stars?

Its decent overall imo, Good ost, solid turn-based gameplay, has option to make the game a bit easier / harder, the puzzle are interesting and not too complex, minigames like wheel and fishing werent tedious fortunately plus easy to get to it and another thing i like how they put worthwhile reward in quest and chest unlike some games that often put only a few gold or trash materials for quest reward / chest. If there is one thing i dont like probably how the combo and its resource works in comparison with how the enemies often cast their ability / spell and as for the story, its pretty standard the chosen one journey with friends and kill big bad guy, the pace is a bit out of place in certain scene but still ok imo.

This game remind me of Chrono Trigger so if you like classic turn based RPG i really recommend this.

Edited by Laburnski
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Laburnski said:

Update #26 ( 276.28 )

Dodgeball Academia

100 + 68 = 168 - 41.72 = 126.28 + 50 ( Speedrun ) + 100 ( Seasonal #3 ) = 276.28

Reveal hidden contents

There is also "secret" club gathering in Library basement.

5tsEuKs.jpg

Its decent overall imo, Good ost, solid turn-based gameplay, has option to make the game a bit easier / harder, the puzzle are interesting and not too complex, minigames like wheel and fishing werent tedious fortunately plus easy to get to it and another thing i like how they put worthwhile reward in quest and chest unlike some games that often put only a few gold or trash materials for quest reward / chest. If there is one thing i dont like probably how the combo and its resource works in comparison with how the enemies often cast their ability / spell and as for the story, its pretty standard the chosen one journey with friends and kill big bad guy, the pace is a bit out of place in certain scene but still ok imo.

This game remind me of Chrono Trigger so if you like classic turn based RPG i really recommend this.

is the demo version stil availeble for to try cause it stand on ps plus extra 

I did download Sea of Stars and I heard lots of positive reviews on it. One Youtuber even got his face in the game as the guy who rebuilds the village. (Gerard the Constructionist. :D)

I have a lot of RPGs I am interested in, but right now I am locked in the A-Z-Z-A challenge. Once I get those two alphabets completed, I will work on more games. (I have the whole Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster and FF7 and FF8 I need to work on. 😄)

Also, why is XD not an emote anymore? (I'm sorry, I know this belongs in the technical forum, it just annoys me.)

Autumn is definitely upon us and with that comes the leaves falling and much more rain. October has been known for spooky season and the one holiday within.

With no great surprise, the theme for this month will be ... Pumpkins!

If you can harvest it, have characters that are Jack O'Lanterns or anything pumpkin related it will count.

Scoring is being updated and I hope to have all the scores ready for the halfway mark.

Completion #32

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

100 + (3xG, 7xS, 35xB) = 167 - 33.62 + 225 series stacker (#9) = 358.38

DLC: Trials of the Dragon King
(0xG, 1xS, 11xB) = 13

DLC: Wanderer of the Rift
(0xG, 0xS, 13xB) = 13

DLC: Different Future
(0xG, 1xS, 11xB) = 13

1 hour ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Ok, so I have updated the scores and everyone should be up to date.

Wowee! I didn't expect to take the lead, although it is a very slim one!

(I think you may have missed my 50pts seasonal stacker for Sea of Stars though) :^]

When does the comp finish, March 31st next year?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

The Series Stacker does not apply to the Judgment series for the Yakuza games, PSNP classes them as separate.

Understood!! Just found out how to check series on psnp. Judgment on the other hand is a weird spinoff it's technically a yakuza game with some of the same NPCs and exact same city settings. And one of the main char will be on the next Yakuza 8! Not spoiler but it's in the trailers! wahhh.. Wiki lists judgment as part of the yakuza series and for fans it is indeed yakuza game same spirit more so than other series ..cough ff cough cough.. Just saying, psnp could make it include these as one series someday.🤭

19th update

Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story: 100+(6x6+2x5+1x18)64-18.68+50(Speedrun 3/848)=195.32

Hogwarts Legacy: 100+(6x2+2x15+1x28)70-13.4+50(Speedrun 24/346)+50(seasonal #1)=256.6

(Missed the school seasonal but might instead use it for the pumpkin)

Hogwarts

Spoiler

a bit lazy to take screenshot so using an online img. Pumpkin mask!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by YokA_sun
  • Like 4

Danganronpa V3 shouldn't count. In this game, there is a postgame minigame where you have to clear a 100 floor dungeon and defeat a secret boss, but you don't gain experience from battles here, so fighting anything other than the required bosses (every 20 floors) is a waste of time. The characters you use are developed with another minigame, a luck-based board game which itself is not an RPG. A character has to complete a round on this board and in the end you obtain a card with some stats that you gained with throwing dices.

Naturally, this can turn out good or bad, and the character you end up with may not be suited to clear the whole dungeon in the RPG minigame. There is a trophy to clear the board minigame with 55 characters, an absolutely horrible grind, but again, this is not RPGing, just throwing dices and hoping you get around as fast as possible. It may take a while until you have four characters that can clear the dungeon and defeat the secret boss, but the actual RPG part is so short in the grand time to obtain the platinum that it is negligible. If time spent is the sole factor, I could argue that this game is a racing game or a puzzle game as these are other minigames required for the plat that may take a while, but this will be rightfully rejected as it should be as an RPG.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AppleKratue said:

Danganronpa V3 shouldn't count. In this game, there is a postgame minigame where you have to clear a 100 floor dungeon and defeat a secret boss, but you don't gain experience from battles here, so fighting anything other than the required bosses (every 20 floors) is a waste of time. The characters you use are developed with another minigame, a luck-based board game which itself is not an RPG. A character has to complete a round on this board and in the end you obtain a card with some stats that you gained with throwing dices.

After looking at the tags in PSNP, PST and TT, I do concede that this cannot be counted for scoring. I will amend the scoring sheets to reflect this. Apologies @Beyondthegrave07.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 6:56 AM, AppleKratue said:

Naturally, this can turn out good or bad, and the character you end up with may not be suited to clear the whole dungeon in the RPG minigame. There is a trophy to clear the board minigame with 55 characters, an absolutely horrible grind, but again, this is not RPGing, just throwing dices and hoping you get around as fast as possible. It may take a while until you have four characters that can clear the dungeon and defeat the secret boss, but the actual RPG part is so short in the grand time to obtain the platinum that it is negligible. If time spent is the sole factor, I could argue that this game is a racing game or a puzzle game as these are other minigames required for the plat that may take a while, but this will be rightfully rejected as it should be as an RPG.

I think you're significantly downplaying the 'board game' side of things and how much control you have over building your characters with rpg mechanics. While you do roll dice to move, you usually get multiple choices of where to land; on enemy tiles which give you exp and money for winning a battle, 'skill' tiles which give you points to spend on upgrading either passive or active abilities and other tiles which give you items/equipment etc.

While there's some luck involved, a knowledgeable player can always build a competent character who will get them through the required dungeon floors.

But yeah, V3 probably shouldn't count as an rpg as this is a 15-20 hour side bonus game on the end of a 60+ hours visual novel.

17 hours ago, Psy-Tychist said:

Just a little shoutout to @ApriIis, @kingofbattle8174, @fisty123, @CokeEnnyday, @Lord_Bane999, @Caju_94, @Arctic Cress and @DEI2EK.

Haven't heard from you lot in a while and I know that some of you have finished RPG's recently :P

Just a little reminder to share your experiences and games here.

It's been hard, there's a few RPGs I started I need to get back into. But just before the Summer had a brown out happen that killed my PS4 Pro through the power surge and lost alot of my save data on there including stuff I was working on charting out a plan on. 

So it's just about besides various shutdowns and stuff I've been doing getting that motivation back to restart those games from day 1 again.

Currently I'm finishing up Gundam Evolution, Battlefield BC 1/2 and Dante's Inferno shutdowns. Hoping to get these all finished this month to leave me free for some RPGs. (As long as I don't tempt fate and try to go at GT Sport as another really hard game to add to the collection xD )

i am doing a server shutdown game gran turismo sport and dragonball xenoverse 1 i am doing the online part of the games once they are secured then i can play relaxed rpg games wich i could not do it yet but hope i soon wil be  dragonball xenoverse 1 i just need 2 online trophies observing 7 battles and reviving 7 times ko allies still 4 trophies left  

On 10/4/2023 at 8:32 AM, Psy-Tychist said:

Just a little shoutout to @ApriIis, @kingofbattle8174, @fisty123, @CokeEnnyday, @Lord_Bane999, @Caju_94, @Arctic Cress and @DEI2EK.

Haven't heard from you lot in a while and I know that some of you have finished RPG's recently :P

Just a little reminder to share your experiences and games here.

Hey there, sorry I haven't been sharing lately, since I haven't really been focusing on the events and haven't been posting. I recently finished Tales of Hearts R, I will do the maths later. Aside from that one, I haven't finished anything else in terms of RPGs. I think I'll probably wait for the next edition of this event and take it more seriously. ;)

Right now I'm focusing on finishing/platinum various unfinished games.

Edited by Caju_94