Second Son Day One Patch Adds 19 New Missions, 5 Hours of Gameplay

Parker

Apparently there is a 300MB day one patch for Second Son that adds quite a bit of content. 

N4G
InFamous: Second Son's day one patch adds 19 new missions, 5 hours of additional gameplay 19 episodic bonus missions included in free InFamous Paper Trail content. By David Scammell (@VG_DaveOn 20th Mar, 2014 at 2:00pm113186_avatar64x64.jpg?4
infamous_review1.jpg

InFamous: Second Son's day one title update will introduce a series of new episodic story missions that amount to around 5 hours worth of additional gameplay, Sucker Punch has revealed.

The content forms part of a new 'Paper Trail' storyline, a side-story described by the developer as an "innovative online and in-game story arc" that sees players attempting to discover the full story behind the D.U.P.'s occupation of Seattle through a series of 19 new missions and corresponding "web-based investigations".

infamous_review111111.jpg

Players will be given access to new content each week for six weeks, delivered directly via the game and, Sucker Punch suggests, enjoyyourpower.com. The content is said to have been co-developed by Sucker Punch and ARG company 42 Entertainment, and provides additional gameplay and backstory on the world of Second Son.

On top of Paper Trail, the 300mb update also includes the Cole's Legacy Content Pack available for free to pre-order customers, as well as a variety of tweaks and improvements, including tweaks made to the difficulty, increased pedestrian and traffic density, and graphical improvements.

InFamous: Second Son lands exclusively on PlayStation 4 tomorrow, March 21. To find out what we thought of it, head through to our review.

Full 1.01 Patch Notes:

Cole's Legacy Content Pack
FREE with pre-order
Explore the events immediately following inFAMOUS 2
Work with an investigative reporter to understand the source of conduit powers
4 story missions, approximately 1 hour of gameplay

inFAMOUS Paper Trail Storyline
FREE bonus missions and exclusive web content
Innovative online and in-game story arc co-developed by Sucker Punch and 42 Entertainment
Manga and murder, follow the trail of origami doves to discover the full story behind the D.U.P.'s occupation of Seattle.
19 story missions and corresponding web-based investigations, approximately 5 hours of unique gameplay.

Difficulty Balance
Normal difficulty has been slightly increased to challenge the player’s mastery of their powers
Expert difficulty has been fine-tuned to ensure it is the best experience for skilled gamers
Karma progression extended to support longer playtime

Boss Fights
The boss fights have been re-tuned for difficulty and fun
More dynamic boss behaviors and attacks

Pedestrians and DUPs
Engine performance tweaks to allow for more life and activity in the city
Increased pedestrian and traffic density and variety
Increased pedestrian-related karmic opportunities
Post-story enemy activity and D.U.P. raids

Technical Improvements
Graphics and performance improvements
Fixes for a small number of infrequent blocking bugs
PSN integration to support Paper Trail DLC

Source: InFamous Second Son Review Support Documents

Source: videogamer.com

That is quite a bit of extra content, especially for a patch that is only 300MB. I wonder if the review copies had access to this content. 

Parker

Cool, sounds great :)

But I don't see why this has to be added as a day 1 patch? 

I suppose it was content added after the game went gold so there as no way to include it on the disc while still keeping the release date. 

Parker

Perhaps they were running short on time and therefore decided to patch the remaining content. Translating games and it's distribution may take up to 2 months or so.

I'm just glad to see they're not charging anything for this extra content.

Unlike a certain company that starts with an E and ends with an A that releases on-disc DLC on day 1 on a regular base and have its consumers pay extra for content they already own. :shakefist:

• Like 1

Perhaps they were running short on time and therefore decided to patch the remaining content. Translating games and it's distribution may take up to 2 months or so.

Unlike a certain company that starts with an E and ends with an A that releases on-disc DLC on day 1 on a regular base and have its consumers pay extra for content they already own. :shakefist:

Capcom doesn't start with an E and doesn't end with an A...  :awesome:

Parker

• Like 1

I suppose it was content added after the game went gold so there as no way to include it on the disc while still keeping the release date. 

Parker

Ah I think I see that. The game went gold, so they added new content, but since the game was close to launch (and probably shipped already) they couldn't change it directly on the game so it had to be a patch. I see it now, thanks. :)

Capcom doesn't start with an E and doesn't end with an A...  :awesome:

Parker

Gaahh don't even get me started with Capcom grrrr :lol:

I never really was a big fan of Infamous, though I have to admit this game does look very spectacular!

An E and an A.... Hmmm I wonder what that could be? I really have no clue...  :hmm:

remember that there is some content that just cannot make a release build.  developers have to meet certain dates to get their product out on time for release in retail stores (often weeks in advance).  But i think it is great that new content will keep coming out for a game like this.  i watched Sly stream it earlier in the day and it looked awesome! cannot wait!

When you think about it, it's kind of brilliant. Consumers complaining about no multiplayer get more content so they can play more. Also, by releasing it weekly, they're stopping gamers from trading it in for a while and possibly cutting used sales without annoying gamers.