Ape Academy 2 trophy thoughts

MidnightDragon

3 hours ago, CB7Tuner91 said:

Where's the 1st Ape Academy?

Yeah don’t know why they’ve skipped over it. Hope they aren’t forgetting about Ape Escape P (aka On the Loose) either. 

With this game though: what do we all think about the difficulty of the trophies? Any hard/grindy ones?

No way!

Any trophy guide out yet?

Anyone who played this game previously and could tell how it is?

3 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

Yeah don’t know why they’ve skipped over it. Hope they aren’t forgetting about Ape Escape P (aka On the Loose) either. 

With this game though: what do we all think about the difficulty of the trophies? Any hard/grindy ones?

They need to add Pumped & Primed to PS5

Edited by Erkawest

11 minutes ago, Erkawest said:

They need to add Pumped & Primed to PS5

That one I definitely don’t see coming unfortunately, as it was only localised by Ubisoft. Sony didn’t release a PAL version. It is the same reason the NA version of Ape Escape 2 wasn’t released on PS4, and instead Sony’s own PAL version was released everywhere. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Erkawest said:

Seems to be an easy game? Somebody on the leaderboard almost 100% it within 5 hours

Just played up to the first boss on an alt account. The mini games seem a bit hit and miss as they aren’t always clear what you need to do and they’re so quick that it’s over before you even get a chance to work it out. However, the key here is the emulator’s rewind function. That makes it trivial as any mistakes or misunderstandings of what to do… just rewind and try again. 

One thing that I really didn’t get though is I got into a situation where the first boss kept only getting paper cards and I kept getting only rock, so I had no way to beat him?

I never played the Ape Escape games back in the day and only recently-ish played the original when they released it on PS+. Does this game improve on the original at all? I was actually impressed with the original, but it was pretty short. To anyone who may have played this, would you say it is better than the first game? 

9 minutes ago, iamthedotcom said:

I never played the Ape Escape games back in the day and only recently-ish played the original when they released it on PS+. Does this game improve on the original at all? I was actually impressed with the original, but it was pretty short. To anyone who may have played this, would you say it is better than the first game? 

This is a spin-off party game, so to answer all your questions in one word: no. ?

It’s nothing like the Ape Escape platformers and instead it’s a card game where you battle against the AI in a series of mini games.

Edit: if you’re looking for more of the same as the first game I’d recommend Ape Escape 2 which is also on PS Plus. It is definitely an improvement in every way, however the PS2 emulator is broken on PS5 so it’s best to play on a PS4 if you have one. 

Edited by VeldinX
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

This is a spin-off party game, so to answer all your questions in one word: no. 1f605.png

It’s nothing like the Ape Escape platformers and instead it’s a card game where you battle against the AI in a series of mini games.

Edit: if you’re looking for more of the same as the first game I’d recommend Ape Escape 2 which is also on PS Plus. It is definitely an improvement in every way, however the PS2 emulator is broken on PS5 so it’s best to play on a PS4 if you have one. 

Sounds Mario Party-esque which could be fun too. I didn't realize that Ape Escape 2 had been put on the service, so I will check that out. Thanks for the tip about the PS2 emulator not being the best on PS5. I had actually planned on getting Wild Arms 3 as well, but it sounds like I will need to swap to the PS4. 

The first mini game I've got 'Choose a tricky number' when pitching a baseball makes no sense to me. I'm rewinding and trying all (four) of the different numbers and the computer is guessing right every single time. Not the best start I must admit ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JoeNDM said:

The first mini game I've got 'Choose a tricky number' when pitching a baseball makes no sense to me. I'm rewinding and trying all (four) of the different numbers and the computer is guessing right every single time. Not the best start I must admit 1f602.png

Yeah I didn’t understand that one either. As I said before, the mini games are definitely hit and miss. Some just don’t make any sense! ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VeldinX said:

One thing that I really didn’t get though is I got into a situation where the first boss kept only getting paper cards and I kept getting only rock, so I had no way to beat him?

All AI opponents, including bosses, have a set deck list. You can get a general idea of the type of cards they have, and the frequency of those cards, in the pre battle summary preview by scrolling through the stat pages if memory serves. If it says someone has 95% Paper cards, they are liable to only ever use those cards. You can also use this to plan a deck for any fight you might be having trouble for. Also, nearly every card has a different minigame associated with it, some with special bonus effects too, so look out for that. If you like a minigame in particular, you can farm out copies of the card to keep playing that game. In AEA2, the chosen starting character monkey has a gameplay impact as you get a card equivalent of the chosen monkey.

K4FRR5Y.png

To be clear, I'm referring to this. The first page shows the card types you already have fro that AI opponent (each opponent gives a unique card, and can give one of each card type), the second page is the opponents win history, the third page should be their deck summary. It's been awhile since I've played but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Edited by Dreggit
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, VeldinX said:

Ah that makes sense, thank you for the explanation. Thought I might be missing something!

Do you know if levelling up to rank A will take a long time? That trophy sticks out to me as a potential grind. 

Rank is a mix of overall collection completion, wins, and highest level opponent beaten, as far as I know. Specter is rank B, so you could play them until rank B, then you just need some more cards/wins in general beyond that. The gap between B and A shouldn't be much at all beyond maybe an hour of work, but it can be earned a number of ways I think. The game never really explains it, so it is up to interpretation how exactly it works, but should come naturally if you play the game some more after the credits, playing against new monkeys and such :dunno:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoeNDM said:

Think I've figured everything out and I'm making good progress, but what's a Redraw?

fail to trigger a combo after using all 4 cards in hand, in other words, match the opponents four cards with your cards (paper vs paper x4, as an example). Redraw is a mechanic to prevent softlocks, it's easiest to trigger against someone who has a deck that almost exclusively uses only one color

• Like 1

I managed to get it shortly after asking haha, the computer had a habit of wanting to pass rather than continue to Draw with me but eventually it decided to match.

Just the red monkey fight, Spectre and A rank to go for me I think!

9 hours ago, Erkawest said:

Seems to be an easy game? Somebody on the leaderboard almost 100% it within 5 hours

With the rewind the game is really easy, you can complete in 5-6 hours. I've completed in 6 hours, 34 minutes but I stopped to eat something and I did it without using any guide.

• Like 1