EA gives you Dead Space " On The House"

Wolf-Ni1nja

That's right guys, for whatever reason EA has decided to give us PC gamers the first Dead Space for free on Origin. Here is the link: https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/dead-space/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition

A few things to keep in mind, this is only the standard edition of the game so if you are wanting any of the dlc you will still have to buy that individually. Furthermore, you will need to have an Origin account (obviously) in order to take advantage of this offer.

• Like 3

It is what...6 years old? :S Best of the bunch though in my opinion :)

Remember how they tried to monetize Dead Space 3 with crafting microtransactions, then players found a bug which gave them infinite resources? It was great how EA came down on Visceral to fix it as it was completely ruining the store. But Visceral who were opposed to the microtransactions just said 'nope - creative use of mechanics by the players'.

They accidentally gave away a game a year or so ago now, but then tried to spin it in a way that it was free and intentional to save face.

I'm not a fan of EA, bad CS unless you can get through their external 'rent-a-customer-service' non-affiliated offices and to people who actually know what they are doing. Bad business practice. A proper money shark at the head of their table - always talking about the dollar rather than the experience.

I don't often rant about EA, but giving away a game nearing a decade old through a platform that is traditonally horrifying isn't a good mark on their resume :(

That being said, they are a necessary evil as they own the people in charge of some of my favourite franchises - Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mass Effect. They are like the uncle that no one invites to the family party but somehow seems to appear in the corner between the buffet and the back door.

Really people?  They give away a retail game for free and two things happen...

a ) People say "meh, I could've gotten it for free anyways with piracy".

or

b ) People say "meh, the game's old anyways".

It's no wonder some companies just take the easy way out and abuse their customers, it's not like you deserve any better.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

And that is what we call stealing.

With the way this world is going and how we act to EA, I don't think people care even if it's wrong. 

Really people?  They give away a retail game for free and two things happen...

a ) People say "meh, I could've gotten it for free anyways with piracy".

or

b ) People say "meh, the game's old anyways".

It's no wonder some companies just take the easy way out and abuse their customers, it's not like you deserve any better.

Depends how the relationship started between the customer and company. 

• Like 1

Depends how the relationship started between the customer and company. 

I really don't care how much you didn't like Mass Effect 3's ending, or how badly you wanted to play SimCity when it first launched but couldn't because of DRM.  People are such fucking babies.

Still disappointed they're not going to win the Worst Company in America Award for the third year running :( Oh well, it could still happen eventually.

Because they definitely deserved it.  Banks and financial institutions ruining families be damned, you didn't get to play SimCity very much the week it launched.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

I really don't care how much you didn't like Mass Effect 3's ending, or how badly you wanted to play SimCity when it first launched but couldn't because of DRM.  People are such fucking babies.

Because they definitely deserved it.  Banks and financial institutions ruining families be damned, you didn't get to play SimCity very much the week it launched.

Someone who brushes DRM as something so simple clearly has no experience what so ever with DRM. It's not being a baby if you're angry at being given an unfinished, buggy mess of a game. Practically a paid beta test.

I agree about Mass Effect's ending though, that was also on BioWare, and I hate it when people can't accept a developer making a mistake and instead blame it on the ''BIG BAD PUBLISHERS''!

Anyways, back on topic: good on them for giving the game away for free, of course this being EA there is alot of cynicism about it but it's a free game, just enjoy.

• Like 1

Someone who brushes DRM as something so simple clearly has no experience what so ever with DRM. It's not being a baby if you're angry at being given an unfinished, buggy mess of a game.

It's being a baby if you're still pissing and moaning about it roughly a year after the issues were resolved.

Does it suck?  Sure.  Does it make you reconsider purchasing another EA game?  Absolutely.  Does it give you the jaded thousand yard stare of a war veteran when anyone asks how you managed to survive what amounts to a week delay in playing your video game?  Fuck off.  Get over it.  Enjoy your free game.

And having been PC gaming since the late 90's, and console gaming since the late 80's... to say I have no experience whatsoever with DRM is a fucking bold claim, by the way.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

It's being a baby if you're still pissing and moaning about it roughly a year after the issues were resolved.

Does it suck?  Sure.  Does it make you reconsider purchasing another EA game?  Absolutely.  Does it give you the jaded thousand yard stare of a war veteran when anyone asks how you managed to survive what amounts to a week delay in playing your video game?  Fuck off.  Get over it.  Enjoy your free game.

And having been PC gaming since the late 90's, and console gaming since the late 80's... to say I have no experience whatsoever with DRM is a fucking bold claim, by the way.

People bring it up when people ask why EA has such a bad rep, why people don't trust them with much of anything and why there is so much cynicism when they do stuff like this. Also, i'm pretty sure the issue persisted for more than a week. Pretty sure it was more. The way you brushed DRM and the negative effects it has is what made me question what you said. I did say in that very post that people are trying a bit too hard to find some corporate conspiracy behind giving this game away, but there is reason behind that cynical attitude.

It is what...6 years old? :S Best of the bunch though in my opinion :)

Remember how they tried to monetize Dead Space 3 with crafting microtransactions, then players found a bug which gave them infinite resources? It was great how EA came down on Visceral to fix it as it was completely ruining the store. But Visceral who were opposed to the microtransactions just said 'nope - creative use of mechanics by the players'.

They accidentally gave away a game a year or so ago now, but then tried to spin it in a way that it was free and intentional to save face.

I'm not a fan of EA, bad CS unless you can get through their external 'rent-a-customer-service' non-affiliated offices and to people who actually know what they are doing. Bad business practice. A proper money shark at the head of their table - always talking about the dollar rather than the experience.

I don't often rant about EA, but giving away a game nearing a decade old through a platform that is traditonally horrifying isn't a good mark on their resume :(

That being said, they are a necessary evil as they own the people in charge of some of my favourite franchises - Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mass Effect. They are like the uncle that no one invites to the family party but somehow seems to appear in the corner between the buffet and the back door.

Agreed, Dead Space is the original and best in the series by a country mile, it's also a coincidence that I am currently playing this as I post this comment looking for 100% completion and not far from it.

I think you're being absolutely unfair with this generalization.  The fact that EA is giving a free game and people are still protesting shouldn't tell you that people "are such fucking babies".  It should tell you that people has some very well deserved bad relationship with EA.  People are wary, and they have reason to be, because almost every time EA comes up with something good they have an agenda.

You mention ME3's ending and SimCity's DRM as if they were the only bad things EA has done.  And then you imply that's it's all well now because it got fixed.  It shouldn't.  You can't forget what they did just because they're not doing it anymore.  And, most importantly, that they're doing it not out of goodwill, but not to lose bussiness.  I hope you're not implying that giving a free game somehow makes all their previous behavior not important.  People must not forget who they're dealing with.  I don't think they deserve the "Worst company in America" title, but that doesn't mean at all that they're a good company.

Now, if this kind of reaction happened for every company, I'd agree with you, but it's only for EA, so I think people are reacting quite normally.  They're fed up with EA's idea of constantly abusing their customer base and then pretending they're good guys.  Here, there's an obvious agenda behind this free game, not necessarily malicious but existent nonetheless: Have you noticed that only the PC version is free?  Why is that?  Well, because they can't force the use of Origin on the console versions.  They intend to attract people to their service, and, of course, giving away games is always a good way to do it, but they can't pretend they're doing it out of care for gamers because they're not giving it away equally.

Now, onto the game, if for any reason anyone hasn't played it, this is the chance to do it.  It's the best of the trilogy by far (I recently tried the third one and I hate it), and you can uninstall Origin after playing it without ever having to use it again.

• Like 1

They intend to attract people to their service, and, of course, giving away games is always a good way to do it, but they can't pretend they're doing it out of care for gamers because they're not giving it away equally.

Unless the Origin servers are operated by thousands of starving children in hamster wheels, I'm not sure why you consider "advertising their service" is some kind of shady doings.  Short of Oskar Shindler's enamelware and ammunitions factories, no company has ever done anything ever out of the kindness of their hearts.  Everything is for good PR, everything is for boosting sales, everything is to get their names out there and get people using their products.

I'm not saying EA is a good company by any stretch of the imagination... they don't trust their customers, abuse them, and deserve at least some of the beatings they get.  But the fact a video game publisher was EVER rated "Worst Company in America" with all of the awful things that happen in this country just screams overreaction and yes... whiney, pissy and moany little babies.  Phil Fish, developer of Fez, once said that gamers are the worst kinds of people... and I can completely buy that.  If you go on forums enough, you see it every day.  If you had to guess what group of people are most likely to send a death threat over a minor issue, gamers have to be up there.

Edited by Dreakon13

That's right guys, for whatever reason EA has decided to give us PC gamers the first Dead Space for free on Origin. Here is the link: https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/dead-space/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition

A few things to keep in mind, this is only the standard edition of the game so if you are wanting any of the dlc you will still have to buy that individually. Furthermore, you will need to have an Origin account (obviously) in order to take advantage of this offer.

Thank you. Have it for the PS3 but hey it's free.  :yay:

Unless the Origin servers are operated by thousands of starving children in hamster wheels, I'm not sure why you consider "advertising their service" is some kind of shady doings.  Short of Oskar Shindler's enamelware and ammunitions factories, no company has ever done anything ever out of the kindness of their hearts.  Everything is for good PR, everything is for boosting sales, everything is to get their names out there and get people using their products.

I'm not saying EA is a good company by any stretch of the imagination... they don't trust their customers, abuse them, and deserve at least some of the beatings they get.  But the fact a video game publisher was EVER rated "Worst Company in America" with all of the awful things that happen in this country just screams overreaction and yes... whiney, pissy and moany little babies.  Phil Fish, developer of Fez, once said that gamers are the worst kinds of people... and I can completely buy that.  If you go on forums enough, you see it every day.  If you had to guess what group of people are most likely to send a death threat over a minor issue, gamers have to be up there.

Really?  You're gonna quote Phil Fish unironically when talking about "whiney, pissy and moany little babies"?  O... K...

But see, that's the kind of bad, unfair generalization that happens because of the quick way technology advances.  Almost everyone is a gamer now.  Since a major part of the population is a gamer, you're bound to find all kinds of people in here.  Yes, gamers are the worst kind of people.  And the best.  And the regular, because, again, most people are gamers.  And it just so happens that gaming advanced along with internet and communication technology.  You might think that people wouldn't send a death threat over a minor issue before gamers showed up, but you'd be wrong.  What happened is that communication wasn't so easy, so you wouldn't hear about it.  Celebrity fans have actually killed over minor issues before gaming existed.

You cannot qualify an entire group of people for what few individuals have done.  Do you know why EA was voted worst company in America?  It's because, for the venn diagram that superimposes people who are aware of that "award", people who are willing to vote in it, people who are able to vote in it, people who have a grudge against a company, people who have very few worries and people who are "whiney, pissy and moany little babies", the group of EA customers falls right on the epicenter.  It's a very small group of people, but it so happens that is the group that's more likely to vote in such a "contest".  If this contest was held in a proper way, things would be different.

Let me give you an example.  Let's see you want to know if parents in America have a good level of care for their kids, and you go ask questions about this in an orphanage for abandoned children.  You'd then assume that by asbolutely popular opinion, quality of parenthood in America sucks.  But you shouldn't, because you're asking in the wrong place.  Same thing here.  You can't assume the worst because you only ask the worst possible audience.