Is it worth playing the DLC first?

I’m about to start this game (again)-and will absolutely be playing the first game (DLC) first. I played the original for the first time on a laptop about a year before the sequel came out (paid a LOT for a near-mint copy). When I beat the original again on Xbox, I thought it was a bit harder, but wrote it off as having not played the game in a year or so. 

Now it’s been ages since I’ve played the original or the sequel, and after my recent experience replaying Tomb Raider: Anniversary (which kicked my ass-partly my fault for not preparing more, but partly, I feel, the fault of a buggy AF PS3 port that never got patched), I am genuinely slightly terrified to go for this platinum & 100% (I never got close to all achievements on Xbox). 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 3:08 AM, TimeLordCrow13y said:

I’m about to start this game (again)-and will absolutely be playing the first game (DLC) first. I played the original for the first time on a laptop about a year before the sequel came out (paid a LOT for a near-mint copy). When I beat the original again on Xbox, I thought it was a bit harder, but wrote it off as having not played the game in a year or so. 

Now it’s been ages since I’ve played the original or the sequel, and after my recent experience replaying Tomb Raider: Anniversary (which kicked my ass-partly my fault for not preparing more, but partly, I feel, the fault of a buggy AF PS3 port that never got patched), I am genuinely slightly terrified to go for this platinum & 100% (I never got close to all achievements on Xbox). 

I will pray for you.  Seriously may the Lord be with you and grant you the patience required to persevere through that hell.

• Like 2

I'm playing through this after two years on the back burner, no wonder it was... I'm on the Woods section now and I just quit because she would not grab the freaking vein and now I'm here. Thanks goodness that you can save any time you want. Alice Madness Returns is a fun game, Alice McGee however... love the feel of the game (aesthetic)  but there are too many annoyances.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

100% yes, it is very much worth it to play the DLC first. Not only is "Madness Returns" a better game, but you will enjoy all the little nods to "McGee's Alice" while you play it. With that said though, many replies in this thread will have you thinking that its a horrible/chore of a game to get thru if you want the 100% completion. And while this may be true for some people simply based on circumstances, for example: the game they played prior. I can attest that I really enjoyed my experience with the DLC. 

Prior to starting up Alice, I platted Star Wars the force unleashed 2... which, imo, is down right terrible. The game was an easy play, but a terrible experience. For those that enjoyed that game, I can appreciate the irony you find in my previous statement, lol. None the less, "American Mcgee's Alice" was like a breath of fresh air. I found it to be a very well made game. Personally the tank controls weren't a big deal at all... got use to it very quickly. And playing the game on easy really isn't as hard as I was led to believe. Aside from the last boss (because platforming), I killed every other boss in the game on the first try without watching a vid... the trick is strafing around the arena and abusing health respawns. 

The only drawbacks to the game are the overall length of the levels, something that carries over into "Madness Returns" btw, and the progressive difficulty of platforming in later levels. But the ability to manually save whenever you want makes this trivial. 

Edited by Kloud1123
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, rockstarjazz said:

is the DLC still available or does it come with the disc, as the ps3 online store is pretty much nomore?

Web-based PS3 PSN store is gone, but you can still connect and make purchases through the PS3 console store, you just can't do it with a CC or Paypal anymore. You have to add PSN credit through another source. Though this DLC was made free and should still be free on the console store. I don't remember what it is called, but searching "alice" would likely find it. You access it on the main menu of Alice Madness Returns, so you still need to buy a copy of the game to play it, either on disc or digital.

• Like 1