This game is so tedious

Lowlliet

I don’t even know where to start. I was so excited for this game but after a few hours, I was seriously disappointed. The game is so fricking boring and tedious it’s unbearable. It even got to the point where I just dropped the game after release. 

Now I’ve finally completed the story but getting 100% spirits is so fricking looooooong. How is it possible that I get always 90-100 spirits per one spirit stack? And I still need like 210,000 spirits, so 2100 spirits stacks. This is f*cking insane. 

I’ve played many grindy games, I got platinum from AoT, ACs and other long games, just look at my list, but those were at least still enjoyable most of the time. But here it’s just boring and bad combat, grabbing 1000 collectibles and running around vacuuming spirits.

I love Japan, japanese culture and their folklore and history. But I never want to see any other game from these devs again. 

Edited by Lowlliet
  • Like 3

My experience was totally different, I’ve been to Japan on a couple of separate occasions and always enjoy any games where you get to visit real life Tokyo districts, (persona 5, digimon story cyber sleuth etc) I thought the attention to detail they brought to Shibuya in ghostwire was incredible! Quite a lot of the buildings and shops are in the exact same place and it brought back some great memories for me walking round the map.

Absolutely loved the contrast between how busy Shibuya is in real life to the eerie deserted atmosphere in the game, I could see what they were going for and it really paid off. 
I mean games are always going to be subjective so if you thought it was boring that’s fair enough but I really enjoyed it, I was actually disappointed when I got the plat and I’m really excited to go back in for the dlc. 
I didn’t think it was a particularity long or grindy game either, maybe 30-40 hours ish? I play a lot of jrpg’s so I definitely didn’t think about it in that light.

• Like 3

I liked the combat aspect and all the different kind of spirits you had to go up against, yet I have to agree with you on the fact the whole cleaning up the map of spirits did seem to take the piss in all honesty. I sometimes don't mind grinding on games, but other times I find it too much and annoying to do for the sake of a trophy. D:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FullMetalSarok said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Tokyo aswell and the atmosphere here. I love Persona games, FS games, anything from Japan but the content & mechanics here are just horrible and could have been much, much more. 

Leveling and character progression is non-existent. After level 30 you basically get most of the stuff you want for combat and that’s it. You don’t get stronger, levels just increase your HP but that’s all. No more DMG increases, nothing. Enemies are so spongey even on Normal and they feel the same as on lvi 1. Bosses are on the other hand easy. 

It just feels this game should have been much smaller and shorter than it is because everything feels like it’s designed to waste your time. 

Edited by Lowlliet
  • Like 1

I do sadly have to agree with you. I only say sadly because, like you, I was really looking forward to this game and I do love Japanese folklore and to have Tokyo as a playground in a open world setting like that had me HYPED.

And while I do think the combat is entertaining at least visually, and even somewhat in complexity, I can't deny that the game does become a bit of a drag towards the middle and ending of the game. The story also just never really gripped me either, felt like it built up but the payoff just never really came together for me. 

I did end up doing the platinum, but I can say it was a slog towards the end and hampered my enjoyment of it even more.

I actually enjoyed the game a lot...yes there were a lot of collectibles and tracking some of them down was difficult...especially the ones way up on the highest scrapers...trying to figure out how to get back to them was a pain...otherwise it wasn't so bad...clean-up late game is recommended because you can use your bracelets and abilities to help navigate much easier...

As far as spirits go, make sure you hit up the major intersection were the parade draws you in...you can do this multiple times and it gives you tons of spirits each time...also there are the spots that flare up where you have to save 3 cubes from the attacking demons...those also give you a lot of spirits...it also helps to that item that allows you to track items and spirits and transfer spirits without going to a phone booth...

I can't disagree. Visually, the game looks great, the atmosphere is great, the enemy design is great, the combat looks cool, but it suffers from the modern open-world syndrome where the main campaign is relatively short and the games playtime is padded greatly by tedious collectibles and menial busywork tasks to complete that aren't much fun and don't add anything of real value to the game besides to keep you playing. Yet another aesthetically pleasing modern game but lacks in the gameplay department. 

People praise the combat a lot and it is fun at first but it gets old quick because the combat is pretty limited I felt. Especially once you get into the DLC and the repetitiveness of it, you start to see how limited the combat is and start totally relying on water and fire attacks because they're so overpowered. Wind attacks become practically completely useless. With that said, I enjoyed the DLC more than the main game. Even though it's a rogue-lite and I hate this obsession with rogue-lite's these days, but I think they did it well in Ghostwire because of the well-designed progression system. It really entices you to keep playing and keep trying to get a little further each time. It was also a grind in of itself but it was a more fun grind than the main game was for sure. 

• Like 3

Platinum done and I can safely say, this has been the most boring game I’ve ever played. 

Cherry on top is that the best missions in the game came in the big update. Those 2 missions were the best content in the whole game. 

If somebody is thinking about buying this, I’d strongly suggest to think about it really hard. In the first 4-6 hours you experience everything the game can offer you and then it’s just about repeating it for another 40+ hours. That’s it. Some enemies are so annoying and poorly designed. F.e. those sirens, who just swim around and you have to wait for them to attack… oh my god it’s so stupid. They always went under the buildings and into walls. 

I know Japanese games are grindy but they are at least somewhat enjoyable and you get stronger in time. In this game you don’t and you are strong at the end just as you were at the beginning. Just with more elements but that’s it. The combat is just about quickly pushing R2 and holding L2. Tbh I think this game broke my R2 because it’s just about spamming it. 

2/10 and those 2 points are just for Tokyo. 

Edited by Lowlliet
  • Like 1

While I enjoyed most of the game, I also felt a bit let down and understand your feeling @Lowlliet. I was glad I didn't buy this game and got it on plus.
I just can't agree with the part where you say that the character doesn't evolve and the enemies are damage sponges. I don't know how your approach to combat was, but at the end of the game I was killing practically 90% of enemies in a matter of 1-2 seconds.

On 26. 6. 2023 at 3:22 PM, giinha said:

While I enjoyed most of the game, I also felt a bit let down and understand your feeling @Lowlliet. I was glad I didn't buy this game and got it on plus.
I just can't agree with the part where you say that the character doesn't evolve and the enemies are damage sponges. I don't know how your approach to combat was, but at the end of the game I was killing practically 90% of enemies in a matter of 1-2 seconds.

Honestly, I don’t know what I did wrong. I played the game on Normal and everything, except the students and walkers ofc, took so much time to kill. 

With the added Charge Rush abilities, it was a lot better but still… I didn’t really feel I got stronger leveling up. It just didn’t feel that way at all. 

Edited by Lowlliet

• 3 months later...