Report: Iwata in trouble at Nintendo

Lady Lilith

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/report-iwata-in-trouble-at-nintendo

Satoru Iwata, president and CEO of Nintendo, reportedly faces troubling challenges this summer.

According to Nikkei (and translated by Siliconera), Iwata is coming upon a "June of trials," as the Nintendo president's approval rating has dropped for the past three years. Nintendo hosts a general shareholder meeting every June, in which the company's investors vote to approve Iwata back on the board of directors. The report states Iwata's approval rating was 92.9 percent in 2011, but that dipped to 77.3 percent last year.

In addition, the Nikkei story says that investors are becoming irritated with Nintendo's inability to find new profits. In January, Iwata changed Nintendo's forecasts, saying the company expects a net loss of 25 billion yen instead of a net profit of 55 billion yen. At the same time, the president also slashed the Wii U sales forecast for the fiscal year from 9 million to 2.8 million. "In particular, sales in the [united States] and European markets in which we entered the year-end sales season with a hardware markdown were significantly lower than our original forecasts ...," he said.

Because of missed sales forecasts and company underperformance, Iwata reportedly took a 50-percent pay cut earlier this year. But Nikkei implies that the president might not be re-elected come June, in which case his pay cut hasn't satisfied shareholders. Iwatahas previously stated that he won't resign, telling investors earlier this year that "there will be no major management shake-up in the short term."

Iwata plans to right the ship at Nintendo with new initiatives, such as focusing on the appeal of the Wii U GamePad and introducing a quality-of-life platform in the next year or two. But the question remains, even with the company's reportedly 500 billion yen war chest, how much time the president and CEO has remaining.

Nintendo was stupid to try the same "trick" again, the casual gamer group that made up so much of the Wii's install base would never be interested in the Wii U "Wii in HD", they'd just go back to their smartphone games.  As much as I think the Wii U is okay without being powerful, they really screwed up making it BARELY more powerful than the PS3/360, and once again way behind current gen.

Edited by Sonic
  • Like 2

I strongly believe that with smarter moves and maybe a different leadership the Wii u can thrive.

Adding better social features, embracing online play, and maybe even an achievement system could go a long way. The Wiiu feels lacking in many software aspects, if they correct them it would be a great step in the right direction. After all, they do possess some of the best IP's in the industry, hopefully they realize this and give us the amazing games they're capable of making. A new earthbound game, a true paper Mario like Thousand Year Door, a 3D Donkey Kong, FZero in HD, an open Mario game ( not linear like galaxy 2 or 3d world, more like SM64). It's frustrating to see so much potential not being used.... That being said DCKTF, SM3DW and Pikmin 3 are awesome games in their own right, here's to hoping they can keep that quality up with future first party games.

Edited by Dark_Tooth69
  • Like 2

A few changes that Nintendo needs to make -

1. Scrap the Wii U and come up with something more powerful, more in line with the Xbox One and PS4.
  2. Add achievements, or whatever they want to call them, in order to attract that particular group of gamers.
  3. Come up with more games than just Mario rehashes.
  4. If they keep the Wii U they need to sell the controller separate. As it is you have to send the controller in to be repaired during which time your Wii U is useless or you have to buy another Wii U.
  5. Alternatively, just shut down the console side and put all their efforts into expanding their handheld business by adding a bigger variety of developers, similar to how the Vita is. If they focused solely on that they could make a killing in that area. They already have Dragon Quest so they've practically got me sold on a 3DS as it is lol.

Ive never understood why people keep asking for this.

Why screw over your most hardcore fanbase by scrapping the Wii U and risk losing those that you screw over to the competition? its not like anyone with a PS4 or XBOne is going to run out and buy a Wii U successor if it was stronger. I never understood this.

I agree 100% If they scrap the WIIU they are basically saying they have no faith in the console, if they have no faith in themselves, it's harder for the fans to have faith in them. They made the WIIU, now they have to step it up and improve it to make it a worthy console.

• Like 4

Ive never understood why people keep asking for this.

Why screw over your most hardcore fanbase by scrapping the Wii U and risk losing those that you screw over to the competition? its not like anyone with a PS4 or Xbox One is going to run out and buy a Wii U successor if it was stronger. I never understood this.

That certainly wouldn't be my first choice, I just listed them in the order I thought of them. They need to increase the support for it primarily. I don't have a Wii U but I actually like what they tried to do with it, case in point I wrote an entire article about it approximately one week before it came out - http://boonejusticius.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/25/ I still feel everything in there is true. (Edit: It's funny too because people belittle what they tried to do yet the PS4/Vita can do the exact same thing and people will praise that.) Of course the Wii U Accomplishments never happened though. I know I might have sounded a bit critical about the Wii U in my initial post but I do honestly hope Nintendo can turn things around and get back to being an incredible console like they used to be.

Edited by BooneJusticius
  • Like 2

Nintendo promised a ton of third party support for the Wii U, they lied. That is the reason you don't base your console around a gimmick, no one else will make games for it. 

Parker

The Wii U gamepad could still work for first party games and some other neat features (Sonic Racing Transformed on Wii U used the gamepad for multiplayer and a fifth player could play using the gamepad's screen). Their biggest problem is probably the power of the system. It pales in comparison to X1 and PS4. Both of those consoles have already outsold the Wii U even though it had a year headstart. Many publishers turn down the Wii U because they don't want to make downgraded ports of their next gen experiences for a system that won't sell their games. One publisher in particular (Bethesda) stated this. When the WIi U was presented to them and Bethesda thought they focused too much on the gamepad and that their technology needed an upgrade to compete with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo wanted them to make/port games to it, but several members of Bethesda just said "No".

IMO, I think another problem is the audience they try to appeal to in the past (Wii) versus the audience they're now trying to get back (Wii U). Last gen, they were on fire because motion controls were new to gaming and the Wii's price tag and line up was very friendly and appealing towards casual audiences. Now, they've nearly ditched their casual audiences in exchange for trying to reel in the hardcore audience with the gamepad and classic controllers. PS4 and X1 are also cheaper then their predecessors, making Wii U's cheaper price point not so effective compared to the gap its predecessor had.

They've got a strong first party line up, but their third party support is non existent. Basically, Nintendo is making a console only for Nintendo fans.

• Like 1

Nintendo promised a ton of third party support for the Wii U, they lied. That is the reason you don't base your console around a gimmick, no one else will make games for it. 

Parker

Nintendo has always based its consoles around gimmicks, and have not really had much in the way of 3rd party support since the SNES days, but I agree that the WiiU situation seems far more dire than than ay crisis they have faced before - they still have a heck of a large warchest tho dont they? I thought tey were one of those companies with a huge amount of liquid cash? Maybe that info is out of date now tho...

The Wii-U is ideal for kids as the console has a lot of child friendly games for it that you don't see on Microsoft or Sony's consoles, so Nintendo really need to push for that side of the gaming market. Personally I think Nintendo does still have a relevant place in the world of gaming and just seem to have lost their direction a little bit. If they are going to continue with the Wii-U then they need to sell the good points of the system and push it as a system for kids with a few games that it's ok for us old folks to play as well. (Zelda, Metroid and so on) As if Nintendo ended up leaving the console market in the future and concentrated on just games it would be a sad day for the world of gaming, it just seems that since the Super Nintendo they have been in-decline.

Don't get me wrong I liked the N64 but the console could have been so much more if they had a bit more support from third party developers, but part of this was due to not making the switch to cd and sticking with more expensive cartridges, the result of this saw 300 games being released on the n64 compared with the thousands released on the psx. Then the Gamecube lost more support with developers, leading to cancellations of games left right and centre, add in a controller that seemed to be designed by some mentalist. The design brief must have been "Make a lame and weird looking controller with random sized buttons that looks obscure", heck lets make it purple as well just for shits and giggles. 

The Wii was a massive hit for Nintendo, I purchased one just after launch and have hardly used it which is a shame as there is quite a few good games for the system and Nintendo did seem to have an opportunity to build on the success of the system, yet many gamers see the Wii as nothing more than a freak fluke for Nintendo as everyone and their grandma rushed out to buy the system that now sits on a shelf gathering dust. 

The Wii-U may pick up, but I personally can't see myself buying one just for me to use as I can't justify buying a console just for the next Zelda game and I know a few other gamers feel the same and may never end up buying a Nintendo console again. (Apart from a handheld, but I can't see that happening any time soon as I am happy with my Vita at the moment.)

Nintendo need to make some changes:

-Make all Wii VC games transferable to the WiiU (for those that bought VC games on the Wii)

-Let developers make games that doesn't rely so much on the game pad (make it optional,not mandatory)

-Make some games cross-play (lets you play a game on both WiiU & 3DS)

-Make online match making better.

-Make games for both core-gamers & casual gamers

• Like 2