Oldest PS4 possibly on its last legs...advice?

ThatDrunkGuy

When it's being used the controller will disconnect, and at that point no controller can connect again. So then I have to unplug it and let the database rebuild. I've tried various things I found from some simple searches.

Deleted all BT devices, held in the controller reset button, and re-paired with only one good controller didn't work. 

Same as above with other controllers didn't work.

Never using rest mode didn't work.

I'm guessing this means the BT receiver(or whatever that is called) inside the PS4 is starting to fail. I'm gonna try a complete wipe and factory reset, but I'm wondering if others have dealt with this problem. Any tips?

31 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

Well if you don't mind doing a factory reset see how it is after but yes most likely the receiver is failing, if you plan to stick to a PS4 i would highly recommend the slim version as from personal experience it's the best one (don't bother with a pro, minimal difference you'll hardly notice).

Cheers, if I replace it it's gonna be a PS5...still have my Pro.

8 minutes ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

Cheers, if I replace it it's gonna be a PS5...still have my Pro.

Oh fair enough, upgrade to PS5 even better.

But i also had a similar problem when i had my launch PS4, after about 5 years it would not connect to the internet wirelessly properly, like it would cut and then come back on repeatedly making online games impossible to play, the wireless receiver for it was gone it seems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatDrunkGuy said:

When it's being used the controller will disconnect, and at that point no controller can connect again. So then I have to unplug it and let the database rebuild. I've tried various things I found from some simple searches.

Deleted all BT devices, held in the controller reset button, and re-paired with only one good controller didn't work. 

Same as above with other controllers didn't work.

Never using rest mode didn't work.

I'm guessing this means the BT receiver(or whatever that is called) inside the PS4 is starting to fail. I'm gonna try a complete wipe and factory reset, but I'm wondering if others have dealt with this problem. Any tips?

I would buy a new one, they’re pretty cheap to find now

13 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

send it to Steve at TronicsFix lol

Best Idea yet, It's either the PSU, the wifi/Bt chip or just plain filthy.

Tbh if this happened to my Lim Edition MGS5 Ps4 I'd fix it first.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Best Idea yet, It's either the PSU, the wifi/Bt chip or just plain filthy.

Tbh if this happened to my Lim Edition MGS5 Ps4 I'd fix it first.

Had similar issues as OP, where my PS would just occassionally go into standby. The ps was not filthy because I cleaned it several times. Only a database rebuild made sure that it would run for another couple days.

The solution for me was, to replace the Power Supply Unit (psu). Since then, I had no issues anymore. Replacing the psu is also quite cheap, in terms of material costs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone, this PS4 lasted about 10 years...not bad. I'm not gonna put any money into it for repairs right now. I'll clean it out, and do a factory reset...just install one game at a time so that if I do have to continue rebuilding database it will be quick. Once it finally dies I'll decide on whether to repair or replace.

Cheers

So to my surprise the factory reset solved this problem. It no longer disconnects the controllers, so give it a try if you have this issue.

Edited by ThatDrunkGuy