[EVENT ENDED] Trophies and Relief Doctors involving Struggle

I'll add another to the tally of sports games for Fifth Doctor :)

I finished Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011 a few days ago. It's not very good but was a quick ultra rare. I'm counting it as a sport game based on two criteria: 1.) the genre tracker on PSNP says so and 2.) like all good sport games it has a contemporary year in the title.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

I was wondering why I saw so much gay fan art of those two. This has also informed me that Orpheus isn't a romance... :( I wanted to fix that broken heart (and to try to teach him some new songs for once.)

When I was listening to the dialogue between Zagreus and Thanatos - before I got to the romance part, mind you - I instantly knew it would be a popular pairing in the fandom, if not the most popular. 😂 

So! The reason that Orpheus isn't a romance option is because you can actually help fix their broken heart with their love! 😉

And while you don't get to teach Orpheus new songs, there are two fantastic interactions related to music:

• A Prophecy that involves Orpheus teaching Zagreus how to play a Lyre. 
  • A moment where Dionysus convinces Zagreus to play a prank on Orpheus by saying that Zagreus and Dionysus are one and the same (based on some actual Greek mythology). This then backfires when Orpheus completely believes Zagreus, creates a song, and to Zagreus' annoyance actually sings it sometimes when you return to the House of Hades. 🤣
  • Like 1

Alright, finally time for an entry in my other category!

6th Doctor  Detective/Mystery - Game #1

Chants of Sennaar | Platinum

L681903.png

Chants of Sennaar is a game where you play a sort of linguistic detective, learning the meanings of various glyphs through sentence context, signage cues, and small puzzles. There are several 'languages' of glyphs to learn, and the game has a very intuitive notebook system. The notebook lets you make and track hypotheses about various glyphs whose meanings you are starting to understand, as well as provide "subtitles" for any written or spoken glyphs that display your guessed and learned words. This means that you don't have to memorize everything or constantly pull up a reference for the translations, which is super nice. There is also a little bit of mystery in the game! The various groups of people are segregated and seem to have different beliefs about how they all came to be at the tower where the game takes place. 

• Like 3

I've been neglecting posting any updates, but last week I finished Escape Academy for my third 9th/Nonviolent entry. It's a reasonably charming escape room game (as were popular back in the Flash days) that's unfortunately a bit too short and a lot too easy to justify its asking price. I'm not sure I can recall any puzzles that were more than a straightforward speed bump, which makes them less-than-satisfying to solve. I played another game a few months ago called Between Time: Escape Room, and while it was even shorter (not to mention much lower-budget), I appreciate in hindsight that it asked me to stop and think rather than sight-read without slowing down.

I won't have another update until the Trophy Hunting Day event is complete, but at that point I should have my first two completions for 10th/VR, as well as a fourth for 9th/Nonviolent (and possibly a fifth, depending on how Norco shakes out-- it's a hard category to know before you've played the game!).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Xylobe said:

I've been neglecting posting any updates, but last week I finished Escape Academy for my third 9th/Nonviolent entry. It's a reasonably charming escape room game (as were popular back in the Flash days) that's unfortunately a bit too short and a lot too easy to justify its asking price. I'm not sure I can recall any puzzles that were more than a straightforward speed bump, which makes them less-than-satisfying to solve. I played another game a few months ago called Between Time: Escape Room, and while it was even shorter (not to mention much lower-budget), I appreciate in hindsight that it asked me to stop and think rather than sight-read without slowing down.

Hmmmm... I'm mulling over whether this one should count since I have played this game (and just started the dlc recently too) and there's possible death in the game I believe. In that Jeb level where water is filling up the place, presumably if you fail you would die. It's 1am for me, I'll decide when I wake up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Hmmmm... I'm mulling over whether this one should count since I have played this game (and just started the dlc recently too) and there's possible death in the game I believe. In that Jeb level where water is filling up the place, presumably if you fail you would die. It's 1am for me, I'll decide when I wake up.

I'm gonna be honest: I didn't come close to hitting a time limit, so the thought of consequences never crossed my mind. I reinstalled the game to check and it seems like it should still be fine, but it's your call:

Spoiler

• Like 1

Nabbed another plat for 12th Doctor, last one being a rougelite and this one being a timeloop with Minit.

Very nifty kinda game that I can't really pin a genre or whatever to but like it's nifty. You're just a little dude who picks up a cursed sword that causes things to reset every sixty seconds and you gotta nab stuff so you can make progress on solving the problem. It's a short game (first playthrough for me took 70-75 minutes, though that wasn't my collectables run) so I can't really say a lot but I definitely recommend it, plus it's free for PS+ extra or premium or whatever.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7342-minit

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xylobe said:

I'm gonna be honest: I didn't come close to hitting a time limit, so the thought of consequences never crossed my mind. I reinstalled the game to check and it seems like it should still be fine, but it's your call:

Reveal hidden contents

I have come to a decision. The game contains Peril and Danger. But not Violence and Death (as proven by the +5 minutes on the game over), so the game will be counted.

• Like 1

Hi, all! As always, congrats on all the completions! A few days ago, I finished my 1st game for the 13th Doctor:

Lf47a63.png

Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock

Featuring Matt Smith's 11th Doctor and Alex Kingston's River Song, this is an official Doctor Who game that I wish, truly wish, was better than it was. While the game captures the atmosphere of the show, features voice acting from Smith and Kingston, and has appearances by some of the show's iconic monsters / enemies (including the Daleks and Cybermen), the story and gameplay were...rough to say the least. The story is NOT beginner-friendly and assumes the player knows who the 11th Doctor and River Song are, and assumes that the characters' relationship to one another and their backstories are also known entities. The same is true of the Doctor's enemies. As a result, there are a LOT of plot holes in the narrative presented.

Gameplay-wise, the game is very buggy. There were times where button presses wouldn't register and the UI for puzzles wouldn't show up on the screen when they were supposed to, forcing a checkpoint restart. Thankfully, things worked the way they were supposed to during my speedrun. But, beyond that, the aiming mechanism for River's gun was incredibly annoying and I found myself frustrated with how long it took to lock-on to the enemies that I needed to. This is especially true during the final boss fight, where River's gun is the main form of damage. At the very least, the side-scrolling platforming went smoothly for the most part, and there was some variety in the puzzles presented. 

But, overall, I wouldn't recommend this game unless you're a fan of the Doctor Who franchise, and even then, you may still be disappointed. I haven't played any of the other official Doctor Who games. But, hopefully, there's a better one available, to be quite honest.

• Like 2

Another for the 3rd Doctor with

Lf01c18.png

Hot Wheels Unleashed

Finally it is done. Such an incredibly grindy game, especially at the end having to grind 100k coins and 25k gears. I despise them trophies so much that force me to grind even though I'm long done with the game. The game was ok but not brilliant, the tracks got repetitive and there was so many races in the story alone, let alone the amount I done online to try speed up the grind which didn't work with the waiting times and everyone always picking the longest possible track nearly all the time. It did make it less boring though but not by much. I preferred the old school Hot Wheels that was on the PS1 with real courses instead of Hot Wheels tracks. The online was too easy which was surprising but I was getting top 3 nearly all the time and quite a lot of 1st places so it was probably a 2/10 difficulty. The time trials weren't so hard as there were shortcuts on most of them.

Anyway enough of me rambling and another in the bag. I might be able to squeeze 1 more game in before the end of the event.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, InfinateEternity said:

I haven't played any of the other official Doctor Who games. But, hopefully, there's a better one available, to be quite honest.

😬 Ooh... yeah... well to be honest there is one that definitely is good, The Lonely Assassins. And Edge of Time is passable. But the only other larger scale game on PlayStation is Edge of Reality and it is rough and honestly I gave up on trying to do that one for this event.

Anyway with that we are nearly three quarters of the way to the max, and three quarters of the way to the end. Sign ups are still open if people just wanna plop an entry in any of the categories.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:03 PM, Xylobe said:

I won't have another update until the Trophy Hunting Day event is complete, but at that point I should have my first two completions for 10th/VR, as well as a fourth for 9th/Nonviolent (and possibly a fifth, depending on how Norco shakes out-- it's a hard category to know before you've played the game!).

So the bad news is that the three nonviolent candidates I had in mind when posting this - Castle on the Coast, Chants of Sennaar, and Norco - all ended up having elements that disqualify them from the category. I do still want to give Castle on the Coast a special shout-out, though; it's a 3D platformer with some of the best-feeling movement I've seen outside of Mario, and was made in collaboration with California's Valley Children's Hospital, which feels appropriate for this event!

The good news is that Viewfinder was completely free of death, violence, etc., making a valid fourth entry for that category, and Humanity and Robinson: The Journey are both finished as planned for 10th/VR. Robinson was also the last game I had in my PSVR1 backlog, meaning I'll never need to wear that migraine simulator again. Huzzah!

• Like 3

Double post, my bad lol

but another done for the 4th Doctor with.....

L2278ee.png

Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One

Wow what hot trash but thank god I finally got it off my backlog after 5 years lmao. Every enemy is just a bullet sponge, like seriously, using basically all my ammo on every gun just to clear a wave of enemies. The AI is as dumb as they get, quite suitable as I got stuck with Quark following me all the time, idk why not Ratchet when I chose to play as Clank but there you go. A lot of the trophies were pretty painful, especially the 1M bolt one where I ended up with 4 controllers on my lap rinsing the same 1 minute section to increase my bolt multiplier.

Anyway, hopefully that is the worst Ratchet game out of the way and only 5 more to go.

Also my last one for the 4th Doctor.

• Like 3

@Breakingthegreen  I just finished Goosebumps: The Game and wondered if it qualifies for the 6th Doctor - A Detective/Mystery Game?

You’ll need to use your wits to investigate the surroundings, puzzle out clues, and outsmart the monsters before it’s too late! Survive a trek through your neighborhood, unravel the mysteries of the Dead House, and sneak through the mall after hours; only then can you confront Slappy and stop his plans for revenge! 

Edited by GT__Jedi
  • Like 2

i somehow thought the event ended today and not the 30th for some reason, anyways stupidly late update.

8th Doctor

Celebrities Hacked

Puzzle Journey

9th Doctor

A Castle Full of cats

2 games for the 8th doctor with Celebrities hacked just barely making the cut at 1 hour and 26 minutes, and Puzzle Journey is just a easy memory game that is free on PSN. A Castle full of cats is the non-violent game as you can't actually be harmed, you just save cute cats :) . time to work out what to play next

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GT__Jedi said:

@Breakingthegreen  I just finished Goosebumps: The Game and wondered if it qualifies for the 6th Doctor - A Detective/Mystery Game?

You’ll need to use your wits to investigate the surroundings, puzzle out clues, and outsmart the monsters before it’s too late! Survive a trek through your neighborhood, unravel the mysteries of the Dead House, and sneak through the mall after hours; only then can you confront Slappy and stop his plans for revenge! 

Played it before it went off Plus huh? Same! Unfortunately it makes me pretty confident in saying that Goosebumps is a Puzzle/ Point 'n' Click game and not a mystery game, and since you've submitted for Racing and Detective, Goosebumps will not be submit-able for you. 

Edited by Breakingthegreen