How do I ensure I don't have missing timestamps?

OmegaRejectz

I've been borrowing my friends PS3 for ages and just gave it back to him. However, now on my own PS3 (the fan is sooo loud and the HDD is worse than his) I need to reconnect to wifi.

However, I tried finding my WPA key but couldn't.

I'm wanting to play Spec Ops: The Line (thankfully it has 0 online stuff), however, I don't want to end up with missing timestamps.

How can I go about playing for about a week with no wifi and ensuring the timestamps properly sync and then at a later point connect directly with an ethernet cable and thus bypassing the need for a WPA key?

Edited by OmegaRejectz

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

best way to make sure, is to connect it with an ethernet cable once, before playing, to ensure that the internal clock is correct and synched, and to ensure the CMOS battery isn't dead at the time of earning trophies.

Once that's done, you should be able to play offline just fine, and when you connect up and synch, all timestamps will be as they should be.

If the CMOS is dead, you'll need to resync the system clock every time you turn the PS3 on.

• Like 3

I believe the missing timestamps is usually because people start a new local account on their PS3 and then play games and get trophies BEFORE actually signing into a PSN account for the first time with that local account. So basically linking up the local account with a PSN account before gaming.

So to avoid the missing timestamps: After making a local account, sign into PSN before starting a game.

If you already did sign into PSN before (as it seems you did since you forgot your password) then I think you can only come across wrong timestamps, connecting the PS3 to the internet as described above should be enough. You could go to date/time settings and let it get his time from the internet again to be sure.

• Like 1

I don't have an answer since I'm not as experienced with the PS3 as some other players in the community, but for your information I've done more than 20 games on the PS Vita and I'm now at my 4th game on the PS3 and I just got my first "missing timestamp" trophy. My connection is pretty good and I always have an Ethernet cable connected to the PS3. Still, somehow, one of my trophies randomly appeared like that. I didn't turn on my PS3 for at least 2 weeks so I imagine it had something to do with that so be careful.

7 minutes ago, zemiguelreis said:

I don't have an answer since I'm not as experienced with the PS3 as some other players in the community, but for your information I've done more than 20 games on the PS Vita and I'm now at my 4th game on the PS3 and I just got my first "missing timestamp" trophy. My connection is pretty good and I always have an Ethernet cable connected to the PS3. Still, somehow, one of my trophies randomly appeared like that. I didn't turn on my PS3 for at least 2 weeks so I imagine it had something to do with that so be careful.

Out of curiosity: Were you always connected online AND signed in?

I'm thinking towards the CMOS battery being dead. So after booting it would need some time to get the right time from the internet and maybe you were too quick, booting the game and getting a trophy before the time sync was finished? It's just a theory though, maybe you can shed a light on that.

13 minutes ago, Kolm said:

I'm thinking towards the CMOS battery being dead. So after booting it would need some time to get the right time from the internet and maybe you were too quick, booting the game and getting a trophy before the time sync was finished?

I don't remember any of my PS3s automatically syncing their time/date when CMOS was dead/drained. I always had to manually sync the clock to internet time each time I turned the PS3 on.

9 hours ago, HaserPL said:

the key you mention is simply the wifi password, if you have access to the admin account on your pc/laptop you can check what's the password via connections settings

6 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Did you forget your Wi-Fi password, or do you want to configure your router to use WPA?

Yeah… I ended up realizing that later 🙈

unfortunately, entering my wifi password didn’t work. Haven’t had this issue on any other device. Factory reset my modem & hoped that by making new SSIDs & passwords it’d be fix it. But it didn’t ;/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OmegaRejectz said:

Yeah… I ended up realizing that later 🙈

unfortunately, entering my wifi password didn’t work. Haven’t had this issue on any other device. Factory reset my modem & hoped that by making new SSIDs & passwords it’d be fix it. But it didn’t ;/

Ensured you're using the 2.4GHz frequency for Wi-Fi?

On 11/28/2023 at 1:52 AM, Frontzie said:

Ensured you're using the 2.4GHz frequency for Wi-Fi?

Yeah, I have 2.4GHz (I have an OG PS4 so that can’t use 5GHz either).

My friends PS3 connected to the wifi with no hiccups, so not sure what the issue is with mine.

Ended up making a scuffed setup with it wired via ethernet. lol

On 11/27/2023 at 5:31 PM, Kolm said:

Out of curiosity: Were you always connected online AND signed in?

Well, I think I was, but since this happened I might be wrong...it's not like I do a checklist every time I turn my PS3 on, I just jump to play and have fun.

Thankfully it's not a reason to be flagged, so I'll just be more careful next time. I just got 100% on that PS3 game and overall it was only 1 random common trophy out of 61, so it's very awkward.