Best PS4 turn based games?

DanteIshimura

Hi everyone, 

Recently went through Dragon Quest XI S and it was a fantastic game. Don't know if it's because I'm much older now than when this type of game appeared in the mid 80's, but they're far more appealing now. 

On my previous profile I had Final Fantasy X and Persona 5 Royal at 100% completion, but for they're one time only games due to either being very guide heavy or some of the requirements just being way too over the top. So I would like if you guys could suggest some more from this genre. Doesn't have to be from Japan, but in terms of the west I can only think of South Park: Stick of Truth which had the same combat system from western devs.

I was going to do the original Final Fantasy VII, but noticed there is a trophy for rejecting Tifa and Aeris so that you can go on a date with Barret. Not my cup of tea and its too long winded to get that done and then start over and picking Tifa.

I'm older than most of you probably, so if there are any that also avoid emo/teen angst type characters I'd appreciate that too. 

• Confused 1

Divinity: Original Sin and its sequel are both pretty good games, I don't know much about the trophies as I played on PC.

I haven't played it but the Wasteland series are well-regarded turn-based RPGs.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is turn-based but the combat is one of the relatively weaker parts of the game behind the quite good story and character development.

I assume you were looking specifically for role-playing turn-based but if you wanted to dip your toes into turn-based strategy of course XCOM 2 is fantastic. It does have some light RPG elements with regard to leveling up and customising your characters. If you enjoy that, you might also enjoy games like Phoenix Point and Phantom Doctrine. Perhaps Empire of Sin as well if you really like the setting.

• Like 2

Wasteland 2 was a good time & I have 3 on the backlog. To Platinum in the shortest path you need to follow a guide which always takes away from the enjoyment of a game like this.

Narcos: Rise of the Cartels - I think I remember that not being too difficult.

Falling Skies on the PS3 if you still have one of those.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

A game I have already purchased but kept putting off is Battle Chasers: Night War. Have any of you guys played it and if so what was your opinion?

Also. To the one person who was confused by my original post. Erm..... Sorry I confused you with the question. 

Edited by DanteIshimura

4 minutes ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

I'm confused about the reason you provided for not playing a great game like Final Fantasy 7. I don't care about it, it's just... meh. 

I cannot stand forced romance trophies in any game. For me this feels more like the devs did it for a laugh more than anything, rather than you normally keeping a good balance of friendship between the team. 

I played the game back in 1997 so I'm not missing out on anything by not playing it. I own it and considered getting the pixal collection and then doing VII and then VIII which I have never played. But it no longer matters. Also after the FFX completion I'm done with stupid FF game requirements, which I hear go even more stupid for FFIX.

32 minutes ago, NeW_CLeaR_HoRRoR said:

Wasteland 2 was a good time & I have 3 on the backlog. To Platinum in the shortest path you need to follow a guide which always takes away from the enjoyment of a game like this.

Yeah the last few games I have played have really spoiled me in terms of not really needing a trophy guide and the games being pretty much open ended. The Outer Worlds had some, but nothing that required an entire guide or new playthrough from what I remember. It's the same reason I wouldn't do Persona 5 Royal again either. Fantastic game but incredibly guide heavy for a 100% completion.