How Achievable

Yeah, this game kind've sucks. Just finished most of the trophies (all world stars on expert and all expert grand prix). Just so much random bullshit almost every race. Going from first place in the final lap, and getting hit by a bunch of dumb bullshit and ending up in almost last. Surprisingly, the mirror grand prix was easier for me, nearly getting first every time until the final cup. Seriously, fuck this game.

• Like 2

Yeah, this game kind've sucks. Just finished most of the trophies (all world stars on expert and all expert grand prix). Just so much random bullshit almost every race. Going from first place in the final lap, and getting hit by a bunch of dumb bullshit and ending up in almost last. Surprisingly, the mirror grand prix was easier for me, nearly getting first every time until the final cup. Seriously, fuck this game.

Really? I felt that this was one of the fairest racers I've played in that regard.

If there is rubber banding it's incredibly limited, and you're always given the opportunity to avoid the opponents' items. Whenever I gained the lead I was generally able to hold it comfortably without fear of being bombarded by homing attacks from halfway across the map such as in Mario Kart or even the first SASR.

• Like 1

I haven't played many racing games, so I'm not sure what's fair or not. What makes this game mildly inconvenient is if you don't get into first place quickly, you're at the mercy of what pickups the AI gets and sends your way. But even when I got into first place, there were times where I got nailed by a homing cart, even though I was a decent distance away (in inconvenient locations to boost to evade).

This game isn't that hard, but that was frustrating.

• 9 months later...

Can I necro this thread? thanks.

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought this. This game was plain bullshit in many levels where you basically need to wait for the AI to fuck up to win. There was a mirrored level in the campaign about that castle that was literally impossible to beat, no matter how good you are, unless the AI hits a wall and gets overtaken by you. Forgot to mention you need absolutely 3 perfect laps too, or you still won't beat it. Lost count of how many times I was second place by 5 fucking seconds and that was fairly at endgame, can't say I wasn't skilled enough at that point.

• Like 4

I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought this. This game was plain bullshit in many levels where you basically need to wait for the AI to fuck up to win. There was a mirrored level in the campaign about that castle that was literally impossible to beat, no matter how good you are, unless the AI hits a wall and gets overtaken by you. Forgot to mention you need absolutely 3 perfect laps too, or you still won't beat it. Lost count of how many times I was second place by 5 fucking seconds and that was fairly at endgame, can't say I wasn't skilled enough at that point.

God I hated all of that. So many times I would lose by just a fraction of a second. 

Playing this game be like:

http://imgur.com/z5F5dH4

• Like 2

I know exactly what you mean. Some of the races were more about the AI just randomly messing up at some point, otherwise it is a perfect lap for them. I stuck through it though and it is still my rarest platinum to this day.

Edited by skateak

Guess who, not happy about suffering through this once, will do this again in the future? If you said TheYuriG, you are totally right.

God I hated all of that. So many times I would lose by just a fraction of a second. 

Playing this game be like:

http://imgur.com/z5F5dH4

LMAO that video sums it up pretty nicely HAHAHAHAHAH

Did you also think that doing the Ghost times was actually very easy with no AI and no bullshit? Think I've done almost normal and mirrorred time trials, but the snow one with the houses, the castle one and the lava river ones (because of fucking drifting). No struggle at all to get the ultimate license on my end.

I know exactly what you mean. Some of the races were more about the AI just randomly messing up at some point, otherwise it is a perfect lap for them. I stuck through it though and it is still my rarest platinum to this day.

Man, if you completed this bullshit, you can easily complete OlliOlli2 where ALL the difficulty is upon yourself and yourself alone. Trust me, apart from the 5th world, you gonna have LOADS OF FUN doing all the stars in OlliOlli2, opposed to the frustration and hair tearing experience that Sonic was.

Edited by TheYuriG

• 1 month later...

I just started playing this again in the past couple of weeks, and while it's not easy, once I got the drifting down I found that getting 1st on expert Grand Prix and getting all 4 stars on each World Tour level isn't too bad.

I've been using Sonic with the Acceleration mod, it's gotten me through almost everything. Boost race is probably the hardest event to beat on expert, I've finally hit a road block in my all-star quest and it's on the mirror mode Graveyard Gig boost race. Seriously, it's driving me crazy (pun intended). Screw that race and screw the AI that manages to drive faster than me on that race somehow. Other than that, in any race if you get the All-Star item, save it until you're halfway through the last lap of whatever event you're on and it'll definitely help boost you into 1st in time to finish the event.

EDIT: Also, screw the ghosts. I can't.

EDIT #2: Last night, as I was attempting that damn mirror graveyard gig, I somehow glitched through the floor at the spider section so I ended up having a shorter path on my first lap than everybody else, since I fell through into the hallway with the zombie band. Thanks to that, I managed to get a major advantage and pull off 1st place. 1st due to pure luck. Finally got all 232 stars!! :)

Edited by lumphy101

• 1 month later...

It's absolutely possible. I have 105% on the Wii U version. The only thing I'm missing there is Team Sonic and the 4 controller stickers. Beating races on expert shouldn't be too hard, as you can pretty easily avoid and recover from getting hit by items. Traffic Attack is the worst thing in World Tour, since those took me a couple hours to do. Other then those and a couple other challenges, they aren't too hard if you know the tracks well. Grand Prix is basically the same thing. I even beat every expert ghost, even mirrored ones (though those don't really count for the trophy I believe).

The hardest expert ghosts are in Roulette Road and Chilly Castle. Both have an annoying last turn. If you can beat those, the rest of them should not be too hard. And you can easily boost Team Sonic and others.:D

• 3 months later...

I finally got the All Star trophy today and I can say that 'Zombie Zoom' was easily the hardest of all the races, its the 2nd last race.  I had been using multiple combination of characters and mod (mostly fast characters and acceleration) but alas I could get no better than 2nd being at best 1-2 seconds behind the 1st place.  After close to 50 attempts I went searching the internet for tips I found a reference online saying to try using Sonic and his 'standard' mod!  I was like no way that will work...

But I got it on my next attempt (yes, next attempt) and won by like 5 seconds, no one was near me.  I can only think that the AI adjusts to the character you select and there is some bug with other characters making them next to impossible to beat without a flawless perfect 3 laps.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, markcavan said:

I finally got the All Star trophy today and I can say that 'Zombie Zoom' was easily the hardest of all the races, its the 2nd last race.  I had been using multiple combination of characters and mod (mostly fast characters and acceleration) but alas I could get no better than 2nd being at best 1-2 seconds behind the 1st place.  After close to 50 attempts I went searching the internet for tips I found a reference online saying to try using Sonic and his 'standard' mod!  I was like no way that will work...

But I got it on my next attempt (yes, next attempt) and won by like 5 seconds, no one was near me.  I can only think that the AI adjusts to the character you select and there is some bug with other characters making them next to impossible to beat without a flawless perfect 3 laps.

Thanks for the tip! Have the game downloaded but wanted to see how achievable it is. Don't know if I'll go for it this year.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...