How hard is this really?

B0nkeeerss

Hello,

I'm getting closer to The Binding of Isaac's Dead God, and I looked at SMB as my next big project. What is the difficulty of this game comparable to? Tboi's Dead God is already a 10/10 for most people, and I've cleared other hard games without too much trouble like Crash 4, I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator, but people have told me this is way harder than anything else but Crypt of the Necrodancer

I'd say it's more difficult than I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator though it's hard to compare.  The difficulty of those games comes primarily from the controls and the frustration from fighting with them.  SMB on the other hand has really good controls, but requires precision and consistency to complete all the no death runs successfully.

• Like 3

Not too difficult once you learn the ends and outs for each level and be aware of what levels are cheeseable. The Kid is the MVP obviously, use him as much as possible. Some other characters that have some shining moments too are Meat Boy, Commander Video, and Flywrench. Light worlds are the easiest possible levels in the world, while the Dark world keeps the same level design but reworked it to be more dangerous. The hardest worlds to complete deathless are Salt Factory Dark, Hell Light, Hell Dark, Cotton Alley Light and Cotton Alley Dark. Cotton Alley Dark is the hardest, as this is the only world where you can't use any of the characters, so you play as Bandage Girl, which is pretty much just Super Meat Boy, also has about eight dangerous levels and only three easy levels. It starts to feel more doable once you replay the levels over and over, so I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to Crypt's difficulty.

Edited by Kimura Takahashi
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kimura Takahashi said:

Not too difficult once you learn the ends and outs for each level and be aware of what levels are cheeseable. The Kid is the MVP obviously, use him as much as possible. Some other characters that have some shining moments too are Meat Boy, Commander Video, and Flywrench. Light worlds are the easiest possible levels in the world, while the Dark world keeps the same level design but reworked it to be more dangerous. The hardest worlds to complete deathless are Salt Factory Dark, Hell Light, Hell Dark, Cotton Alley Light and Cotton Alley Dark. Cotton Alley Dark is the hardest, as this is the only world where you can't use any of the characters, so you play as Bandage Girl, which is pretty much just Super Meat Boy, also has about eight dangerous levels and only three easy levels. It starts to feel more doable once you replay the levels over and over, so I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to Crypt's difficulty.

If I find it pretty doable, I might go for Crypt after this... I've platinum'd every hard game in half the time it normally takes, I think my motivation is strong enough to make it out alive🤣

I've gotten Dead God in Isaac, and did The End is Night platinum which is a virtual successor to this, and those honestly don't compare to this. End is Nigh compares more than Isaac at least. I've worked on SMB on my PC just to see before committing to the trophies, and it's hard. No deaths are much harder than the most annoying tainted completion marks or the hardest challenges in Isaac. It's trial and error, you can't just get lucky with a few runs. That being said it is entirely doable for honestly anyone, you've just got to put in the time.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CataTrash said:

I've gotten Dead God in Isaac, and did The End is Night platinum which is a virtual successor to this, and those honestly don't compare to this. End is Nigh compares more than Isaac at least. I've worked on SMB on my PC just to see before committing to the trophies, and it's hard. No deaths are much harder than the most annoying tainted completion marks or the hardest challenges in Isaac. It's trial and error, you can't just get lucky with a few runs. That being said it is entirely doable for honestly anyone, you've just got to put in the time.

I've done Crash 4 in 52 hours, so I have good experience with platformers, but I feel like this will be a lot harder. Thank you

• Like 1

Since i got the Platinum i might  be Anke to do it over and over again i guess.

i think the Hard Part Starts at world 4.

until cotton alley it is pretty doable since you have character Choice.

Cotton alley is vanilla Play, and needs you to have the Game mechanics really mastered precise.

cotton dark alone took me around 12h Playtime.

there is no real receipe since you have to Take your own Fave Order of levels in the end since every player is individual from What levels he hates or likes.

go from Hard to easier allways.

but it was by far the hardest of my Games.

Which made me tattoo smb and Fetus. XD

5 minutes ago, PuRiZo-_- said:

Since i got the Platinum i might  be Anke to do it over and over again i guess.

i think the Hard Part Starts at world 4.

until cotton alley it is pretty doable since you have character Choice.

Cotton alley is vanilla Play, and needs you to have the Game mechanics really mastered precise.

cotton dark alone took me around 12h Playtime.

there is no real receipe since you have to Take your own Fave Order of levels in the end since every player is individual from What levels he hates or likes.

go from Hard to easier allways.

but it was by far the hardest of my Games.

Which made me tattoo smb and Fetus. XD

I do believe that, as long as a game is fun, it is doable for me (I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator are the exception, they were terrible but thank God they were short). It's hard, but that doesn't compromise the gameplay, so the experience really benefits from it

On 12/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, B0nkeeerss said:

I've cleared other hard games without too much trouble like Crash 4, I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator, but people have told me this is way harder than anything else but Crypt of the Necrodancer

You'll be fine.

The game is purely down to patience and practice, as you do with a lot of other hard games. I cleared Impossible Boy again a few days ago so I have video footage of it and to see if my original rating sits well with me and...

I'd say it's a high 9/10, doesn't quite hit the 10/10 for me, there are just so many more games out there that are harder than SMB, just need to look for them. However, I can understand people calling it a 10.

As other have said here, absolutely use other characters wherever possible, it makes a significant amount of levels outside of cotton alley much easier. Cotton Alley Dark is the hardest IMO, due to its very high demand for precision, especially for certain levels such as 1, 8, 13 and 20 (for me at least). Having done stuff like I Am Bread and Surgeon means you have enough patience for this, it'll just be a matter of becoming consistent at the levels for each world. Good luck if you go for it :)

Edited by PunisherXD2006
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PunisherXD2006 said:

You'll be fine.

The game is purely down to patience and practice, as you do with a lot of other hard games. I cleared Impossible Boy again a few days ago so I have video footage of it and to see if my original rating sits well with me and...

I'd say it's a high 9/10, doesn't quite hit the 10/10 for me, there are just so many more games out there that are harder than SMB, just need to look for them. However, I can understand people calling it a 10.

As other have said here, absolutely use other characters wherever possible, it makes a significant amount of levels outside of cotton alley much easier. Cotton Alley Dark is the hardest IMO, due to its very high demand for precision, especially for certain levels such as 1, 8, 13 and 20 (for me at least). Having done stuff like I Am Bread and Surgeon means you have enough patience for this, it'll just be a matter of becoming consistent at the levels for each world. Good luck if you go for it :)

You guys' messages motivated me, it's time to push the boundaries of difficulty once again. I'll wait for a new discount and get it, but now it's time for Dead God

• 1 month later...

On 12/20/2023 at 5:57 PM, B0nkeeerss said:

Hello,

I'm getting closer to The Binding of Isaac's Dead God, and I looked at SMB as my next big project. What is the difficulty of this game comparable to? Tboi's Dead God is already a 10/10 for most people, and I've cleared other hard games without too much trouble like Crash 4, I am Bread and Surgeon Simulator, but people have told me this is way harder than anything else but Crypt of the Necrodancer

Little update: I got the game 1 week ago, 20 hours into and I cleared 90 bandages, almost all warp zones, forest dark and normal, hospital dark and normal, the rapture, hell and salt factory, all deathless. I miss salt factory dark, hell dark and rapture dark, + cotton alley normal and dark (basically the hardest part of the game by far). So far so good, it's definitely the hardest thing I ever attempted, but I still can't say if it deserves 10/10 difficulty

On 12/21/2023 at 3:57 AM, B0nkeeerss said:

Hello,

Yeah it’s really hard. I’ve got the plat for Isaac, Spelunky, plenty of hard games. I’m working on Meat Boy now but I’m actually considering just getting the Golden God trophy and then stopping there. Doing some of those worlds without dying, while possible, is just a level or commitment I’m not sure I’m willing to put myself through :D

I’ve said the same about other stuff though so we’ll see. It’s definitely a 10/10 though. 

4 hours ago, BitMeIntoParts said:

Yeah it’s really hard. I’ve got the plat for Isaac, Spelunky, plenty of hard games. I’m working on Meat Boy now but I’m actually considering just getting the Golden God trophy and then stopping there. Doing some of those worlds without dying, while possible, is just a level or commitment I’m not sure I’m willing to put myself through :D

I’ve said the same about other stuff though so we’ll see. It’s definitely a 10/10 though. 

As long as you tell yourself "it's only a matter of time", anything is possible, even Crypt of the Necrodancer. But at the end it's just a game, if you don't want to commit yourself to this torture for 100 hours, it's perfectly understandable. I'm doing it just to see how far I can push the boundaries, and I really enjoy platformers, so it's a win-win for me

On 12/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, B0nkeeerss said:

Hello,

you might have a little thought it on your head its a similar difficulty to other plats but its not.  Prior to this my hardest rated were crash 1 and hollow knight legit and this is turning out to be way harder than hollow knight which is a 9/10 besides crypt its harder than anything else.  im doing the smb plat  right now and il admit it deserves the 10/10 rating.

8 hours ago, miickomadyoke_- said:

you might have a little thought it on your head its a similar difficulty to other plats but its not.  Prior to this my hardest rated were crash 1 and hollow knight legit and this is turning out to be way harder than hollow knight which is a 9/10 besides crypt its harder than anything else.  im doing the smb plat  right now and il admit it deserves the 10/10 rating.

the difficulty ratings for games aren't very accurate, Fall Guys is listed as a 10/10 even though it should be a 6; Crash 1 and Crash 4 are only 1 point apart, even though Crash 4 is exponentially harder, but still can't be listed as a 10/10; Bloodborne is a 8/10, but the platinum is incredibly straightforward and the game isn't hard enough to justify the rating anyway

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 10:15 AM, B0nkeeerss said:

As long as you tell yourself "it's only a matter of time", anything is possible, even Crypt of the Necrodancer. But at the end it's just a game, if you don't want to commit yourself to this torture for 100 hours, it's perfectly understandable. I'm doing it just to see how far I can push the boundaries, and I really enjoy platformers, so it's a win-win for me

It will take way more than 100h for a lot people, i know ppl who took 200-250h on this, if you cant control your nerves very well it can take even longer than that.

On 2/24/2024 at 6:43 AM, B0nkeeerss said:

the difficulty ratings for games aren't very accurate, Fall Guys is listed as a 10/10 even though it should be a 6; Crash 1 and Crash 4 are only 1 point apart, even though Crash 4 is exponentially harder, but still can't be listed as a 10/10; Bloodborne is a 8/10, but the platinum is incredibly straightforward and the game isn't hard enough to justify the rating anyway

Thats true but in this case its a definite 10/10 go play and you will soon see

1 hour ago, miickomadyoke_- said:

Thats true but in this case its a definite 10/10 go play and you will soon see

As of right now, I am doing the Rapture dark deathless, and I must say the jump from anything else I've done up to this point is insane... after that, I only need Cotton Alley normal and dark, I'm pretty motivated so I think I can do it 

Ahhhh.... I was so close yesterday. I thought I had it after clearing 7-5X, but realized I still needed to do 7-12X and bloody choked on that level. Still.. progress is still progress.... How are you with the deathless dark cotton alley grind?