"Online Required" Tag Needs Some Alternatives

Currently there's a big dispute over Armored Core Verdict Day's trophies and what requires online and what could be done entirely offline. There's no trophy tag that can list the online requirement as optional or differentiating between mandatory online and optional online options. All it does is make the guide writer list the same trophy in two sections and for a big list the trophy can get lost in the clutter. Personally speaking I've come across similar guides that lists the trophies as online but they can be done entirely offline. I think having something like this would improve the readability for some guides and even help players who just look at the trophy groups at the top of a guide at a glance.

• Like 1

I'd be in favour of a separation between trophies requiring PS+ usually needing direct interaction with other players online and others such as Mirrors Edge Catalyst (now offline) but that just need you to be signed into the online servers to access leaderboards, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

imo trophies should only be tagged as "online required" if they are impossible to earn offline

Yep, this is pretty much how it should be used at the moment

1 hour ago, Martain2 said:

I'd be in favour of a separation between trophies requiring PS+ usually needing direct interaction with other players online and others such as Mirrors Edge Catalyst (now offline) but that just need you to be signed into the online servers to access leaderboards, etc.

We already sort of have that with the "Multiplayer Only" and "Online Required" tags, but maybe a "Multiplayer Optional" tag (or something) could be added

2 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Currently there's a big dispute over Armored Core Verdict Day's trophies and what requires online and what could be done entirely offline. There's no trophy tag that can list the online requirement as optional or differentiating between mandatory online and optional online options. All it does is make the guide writer list the same trophy in two sections and for a big list the trophy can get lost in the clutter. Personally speaking I've come across similar guides that lists the trophies as online but they can be done entirely offline. I think having something like this would improve the readability for some guides and even help players who just look at the trophy groups at the top of a guide at a glance.

If it's optional online then the writer shouldn't tag it with any online/multiplayer tags at all, but as said above the addition of a "Multiplayer Optional" tag could help clarify that

• Like 3

The tag should only be used if the trophy actually requires an online connection (like that one Mad Max trophy). It’s also not necessary for trophies that require multiplayer/co-op modes since there are other tags for those.

Here’s some more info:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/1-psnprofiles-writing-a-guide#4-tagging-trophies

New tags can only be made by Sly; he did introduce some new ones recently but it doesn’t happen often.

Edit: Also didn’t know Mango replied till I posted!

Edited by Charizarzar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Currently there's a big dispute over Armored Core Verdict Day's trophies and what requires online and what could be done entirely offline.

Just to be clear, no there isn't. That user just didn't know how to read.

You know he didn't read the guide because the opening of the guide talked about the point of the tags. Anything that isn't marked as "Online Only" can be done offline, but many of the trophies are easier when doing the game online.

Further to add, MANY people platinum'd the game after @Deadly_Ha_Ha and I wrote the guide, and no one has expressed this sort of confusion in the past two years of this guide being published.

Edited by CelestialRequiem
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BlindMango said:

If it's optional online then the writer shouldn't tag it with any online/multiplayer tags at all, but as said above the addition of a "Multiplayer Optional" tag could help clarify that

I definitely understand this, but AC:VD is a little bit different.

You have two saves: Online, and Offline. These two saves DO NOT interact with each other nor do they share progress. So if you beat the game in Online Mode, it does not count in Offline Mode, and vice versa. Because of this, we wrote the guide under the context that the player should do specific trophies in Online Mode so that it's easier/faster. In short, you should just do the entire game online as it takes less time. There is no point in doing these trophies online unless you're forced to, because it would take longer for no reason. When these servers go bye-bye, so will your Online Save.

It's a very complex game, and I'm sorry for that, but the co-author and I only wanted to show the easiest fastest method with our strats/tags. Anything that isn't tagged "Online Only" can be done offline, but you wouldn't want to play the game offline unless you were forced to.

• Like 2