PS5 overheating!

TanyaH

After playing this game for about one hour I got warning saying "Your PS5 is too hot".

Next day I tried to play the game again but only after ten minutes or so PS5 shut down suddenly without warning! 

Now I worry this game caused some permanent damage to my console and cost me another PS5. 😢

• 3 months later...
On 12/31/2023 at 8:33 PM, TanyaH said:

After playing this game for about one hour I got warning saying "Your PS5 is too hot".

Next day I tried to play the game again but only after ten minutes or so PS5 shut down suddenly without warning! 

Now I worry this game caused some permanent damage to my console and cost me another PS5. 😢

In summer my PS5 brings the warning 20 times and instant shutdown like 5 times a day and it’s still running 🤣 When it reaches a critical heat point it should shut down to prevent damage.

Wouldnt suggest risking it anyway.

Just saying, don’t worry if it happens once a while.

15 minutes ago, anxietycrossing said:

This game is unlikely to have been responsible for the overheating. It is not a very intensive game at all.

Could be poorly programmed. A game does not need to have ultra graphics or physics to cause issues such like this.

Edited by xIRockyRock

On 12/31/2023 at 5:31 PM, HuntingFever said:

It could be the CPU needs re-flowing.

Is reflowing a thing with the PS5's liquid metal thermal? 

The only tip I can give OP is to make sure the console is laying horizontal rather than standing vertically.

16 minutes ago, xIRockyRock said:

Could be poorly programmed. A game does not need to have ultra graphics or physics to cause issues such like this.

While this is true, others not having the same experience would indicate it isn't a game issue, rather a console-specific issue.

Summer stress on the console is real though.

never have your ps5 in a cabinet or tv stand. always make sure it's stood upright. the metal screw inside vertical stand also gets very hot, meaning the heat disperses through into the stand aswel, laying it down is not good. 

get a can of compressed air or an electric air blaster, and just spray directly at the back ventilation ducts, don't stick the nozzle inside or u risk damaging components. and 2-3 times a year take the fan out of the ps5, give it a clean and get as much out as u can. 

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, anxietycrossing said:

While this is true, others not having the same experience would indicate it isn't a game issue, rather a console-specific issue.

Summer stress on the console is real though.

Especially if you live in a country like Australia, our humidity was so high and bad along with the heat, or South Asian/Middle Eastern country where it gets hot. Although I see the OP is in Finland? Not sure how hot it gets there.

I have held off platinuming Horizon Forbidden West until Winter because it's one of the few games that does make my PS5 feel warm, also why I haven't played FF16 either. Hidden Paws however I play tested for a bit, never got a message

6 minutes ago, Prince-Varuni said:

Especially if you live in a country like Australia, our humidity was so high and bad along with the heat, or South Asian/Middle Eastern country where it gets hot. Although I see the OP is in Finland? Not sure how hot it gets there.

I have held off platinuming Horizon Forbidden West until Winter because it's one of the few games that does make my PS5 feel warm, also why I haven't played FF16 either. Hidden Paws however I play tested for a bit, never got a message

I was shocked to see the temperature message appear one day last year in - gasp - the UK. I didn't think we were capable of such a feat.

I love the idea of saving a game for winter to keep you warm 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, anxietycrossing said:

I was shocked to see the temperature message appear one day last year in - gasp - the UK. I didn't think we were capable of such a feat.

I love the idea of saving a game for winter to keep you warm 🤣

Haha usually my consoles are chill in the winter. I actually remember aleast once my computer got very overheated due to the summer, and my phone had the same problem too on one sweaty day. Can get so bad down here XD.

So far I have gotten lucky with my PS5 in nearly 2 years, but this time I have actually kept it a distance away from the wall, my other consoles and PC are usually forced against the wall due to limited space.

• Like 1

I think the problem with this game is that it's running at uncapped frame rate and there is no option to turn Vsync on.
Luckily I haven't had any issues with my PS5 since then.