I'm On The Fence & Would like Some Feedback

I've passed up Resident Evil 7 for many years. Much like another game, Borderlands 2 VR, having never played a Borderlands game and having read up on all the trophies (a lot of which sounding like a complete suck fest), it discouraged me away for many years until one day I finally just said fuck it and dove in head first. In the end not only did I platinum and 100% it twice (NA and EU), but it turned out not to be anywhere even remotely close to how dreadful as I thought it was going to be based off other people's experiences. Though Borderland's trophy set was a long and tedious ride, none of it was overly taxing or difficult. So, basically, take everything I just said and apply it here to Resident Evil 7 because I'm kind of in the same boat.

I've never played a Resident Evil game. I've passed this game up many times over the years due mainly to how HORRENDOUS some of the trophies sound, the DLC trophies most of all. So I've been wondering lately... would it really be THAT bad or am I just getting discouraged all over again due to all the horror stories I've read about across the interwebs? I would be playing the base game and all DLC exclusively in VR and getting 100% completion is non-negotiable as it'll just drive me nuts otherwise seeing it incomplete on my list. I've read that playing it in VR is actually easier but by how much or whether or not that's even true remains unclear so I guess what I'm wondering most of all is, seeing how I'm a complete noob to this franchise am I in over my head trying to tackle a 100% completion?

I'm not going to buy this game and play it just for the hell of it as that's not the type of gamer I am so please, no comments like "Who cares about the trophies, just play it for fun", or anything similar in nature. Trophies are my driving motivation and the only reason I even continue to game at all as without them gaming just isn't fun for me anymore. I know, pathetic. But that's just the way my brain's wired. Obviously it helps tremendously to tackle trophies in a game when the game is fun and engaging and not overly complicated and infuriating but with this game in particular some of those DLC trophies have me a bit concerned because one thing I'm not is an elite gamer, I'm average or possibly a little above average at best, so I'm a bit worried that I might possibly bite off more than I can chew here. 

To those that know me well (like @HuntingFever), they know I have a very low threshold to bullshit and a hot temper to go with it. However, a strong attribute of mine is the sheer willpower and determination to see something through until the end no matter how frustrating, tedious or rage-inducing it is. So with that in mind, is it feasible? Or should I not even waste my time (and money)? Any and all feedback from the community would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I've passed up Resident Evil 7 for many years. Much like another game, Borderlands 2 VR, having never played a Borderlands game and having read up on all the trophies (a lot of which sounding like a complete suck fest), it discouraged me away for many years until one day I finally just said fuck it and dove in head first. In the end not only did I platinum and 100% it twice (NA and EU), but it turned out not to be anywhere even remotely close to how dreadful as I thought it was going to be based off other people's experiences. Though Borderland's trophy set was a long and tedious ride, none of it was overly taxing or difficult. So, basically, take everything I just said and apply it here to Resident Evil 7 because I'm kind of in the same boat.

I've never played a Resident Evil game. I've passed this game up many times over the years due mainly to how HORRENDOUS some of the trophies sound, the DLC trophies most of all. So I've been wondering lately... would it really be THAT bad or am I just getting discouraged all over again due to all the horror stories I've read about across the interwebs? I would be playing the base game and all DLC exclusively in VR and getting 100% completion is non-negotiable as it'll just drive me nuts otherwise seeing it incomplete on my list. I've read that playing it in VR is actually easier but by how much or whether or not that's even true remains unclear so I guess what I'm wondering most of all is, seeing how I'm a complete noob to this franchise am I in over my head trying to tackle a 100% completion?

I'm not going to buy this game and play it just for the hell of it as that's not the type of gamer I am so please, no comments like "Who cares about the trophies, just play it for fun", or anything similar in nature. Trophies are my driving motivation and the only reason I even continue to game at all as without them gaming just isn't fun for me anymore. I know, pathetic. But that's just the way my brain's wired. Obviously it helps tremendously to tackle trophies in a game when the game is fun and engaging and not overly complicated and infuriating but with this game in particular some of those DLC trophies have me a bit concerned because one thing I'm not is an elite gamer, I'm average or possibly a little above average at best, so I'm a bit worried that I might possibly bite off more than I can chew here. 

To those that know me well (like @HuntingFever), they know I have a very low threshold to bullshit and a hot temper to go with it. However, a strong attribute of mine is the sheer willpower and determination to see something through until the end no matter how frustrating, tedious or rage-inducing it is. So with that in mind, is it feasible? Or should I not even waste my time (and money)? Any and all feedback from the community would be greatly appreciated.

I only played the demo for this one for an hour or 2 a few years back, then decided not to bother buying the game, because I didn't like the direction Capcom were taking the franchise in so I can't really comment on if you're going to like this specific entry or not. If you've never played an RE Game before, it makes sense to go all the way back to the original but knowing your short fuse, the odds are you will absolutely hate it and the rest of the series, because the Plats/100% are no joke for the most part, even with the best Guides and walkthroughs around.

• Like 1

RE7 is waaay harder than any Borderlands game, and honestly I'm surprised that you heard horror stories about Borderlands 2's trophy list. All of the Borderlands games just require you to do all stuff the game has to offer on any difficulty setting -- none of it is actually hard, and if you like the game then most of it's quite enjoyable (modulo one or two RNG trophies).

RE7 (and most RE games) are very different. There are difficulty trophies, and those higher-difficulty modes are (IMO) really really hard. And if you care about DLC completion, the "Ethan Never Dies" trophy in RE7 is hard. Not as hard as something like Akumu in Evil Within, but a solid 7/10 or 8/10 (whereas I can't really see how any Borderlands game is higher than 4/10 or so).

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I don't think RE7 is particularly frustrating, as it is very very good...

...and yes, it's certainly feasible, given that determination will get you through any RE game far more than skill ever will.

Trust me - I know of what I speak...

...as I have the plat, and no skill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

I only played the demo for this one for an hour or 2 a few years back, then decided not to bother buying the game, because I didn't like the direction Capcom were taking the franchise in so I can't really comment on if you're going to like this specific entry or not. If you've never played an RE Game before, it makes sense to go all the way back to the original but knowing your short fuse, the odds are you will absolutely hate it and the rest of the series, because the Plats/100% are no joke for the most part, even with the best Guides and walkthroughs around.

16 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

RE7 is waaay harder than any Borderlands game, and honestly I'm surprised that you heard horror stories about Borderlands 2's trophy list. All of the Borderlands games just require you to do all stuff the game has to offer on any difficulty setting -- none of it is actually hard, and if you like the game then most of it's quite enjoyable (modulo one or two RNG trophies).

RE7 (and most RE games) are very different. There are difficulty trophies, and those higher-difficulty modes are (IMO) really really hard. And if you care about DLC completion, the "Ethan Never Dies" trophy in RE7 is hard. Not as hard as something like Akumu in Evil Within, but a solid 7/10 or 8/10 (whereas I can't really see how any Borderlands game is higher than 4/10 or so).

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don't think RE7 is particularly frustrating, as it is very very good...

...and yes, it's certainly feasible, given that determination will get you through any RE game far more than skill ever will.

Trust me - I know of what I speak...

...as I have the plat, and no skill.

Solid input from all of you. Thank you.

• Like 1

Man, re7 isnt hard. On internet has a lot of strategies, specially speedrun strategies that i mostly use because the guy who does speedrun knows the game very well.

But in my opinion, the game doesnt worth it and the dlc are very frustrating.

I played Resident evil before and never liked it, i opened it on my account and had to platinum it. The save points are tied to specific points, collectibles are missable, game is slow and you have to learn by dying like demons souls, my recomendation" if you can avoid it, avoid" my experience was bad

So the DLC sets are another question entirely but the Platinum is hard but doable. You could manage it if you put the time in. I tried this out on release and it was really scary and a lot of fun but I wasn't in the right headspace for it. Came back a couple years later to get the Platinum and knock out as much of the DLC as I could and I had a blast. As others mentioned, Madhouse will definitely test your skills and you'll want to ensure you've got the right and best setup for you throughout, but it's manageable. 

I didnt play much RE myself but tried it out with the same thought as you. To be honest the plat itself is fine in my opinion. If you dont like looking up guides or look up some Youtube strategies from people knowing the game insight out then i would suggest not to go for it. I play a lot of different stuff and would say i have some skill in regards to playing games and i was really proud of the 100% myself but it took me a while to get there. If you want a challenge this is a game i would recommend since the gameplay is fun and different to most other games but it is not easy.

The DLCs are a Step up in difficulty. They request different playstyles from you and can be reall stressful in the beginning because you have no clue how to tackle those trophies efficientely. I can guarantee you, that most of the trophies are not done with the first try and some took me a weekend to complete. So after reading all of this you need to decide for yourself if you want to try it out or not :)

I have played the game and do not have the platinum, but I know that you can spend a lot of the DLC and madhouse playthrough running away. XD

In all honesty, if you use a video guide for your madhouse playthrough and DLC, I don't think you'll have a problem. The nice part about RE in general is there are a lot of fanatics for the series and a lot of strategies and optimization on how to handle bosses, who to fight/not fight etc.

So to answer your question: yes, it's hard. However, there's plenty of resources out there to push you through the finish line.

7 hours ago, k0edb said:

Man, re7 isnt hard. On internet has a lot of strategies, specially speedrun strategies that i mostly use because the guy who does speedrun knows the game very well.

But in my opinion, the game doesnt worth it and the dlc are very frustrating.

I played Resident evil before and never liked it, i opened it on my account and had to platinum it. The save points are tied to specific points, collectibles are missable, game is slow and you have to learn by dying like demons souls, my recomendation" if you can avoid it, avoid" my experience was bad

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

IMG-4817.jpg

6 hours ago, coopbuh said:

doing madhouse will test your skill but everything else is extremely easy

6 hours ago, Creasy007 said:

So the DLC sets are another question entirely but the Platinum is hard but doable. You could manage it if you put the time in. I tried this out on release and it was really scary and a lot of fun but I wasn't in the right headspace for it. Came back a couple years later to get the Platinum and knock out as much of the DLC as I could and I had a blast. As others mentioned, Madhouse will definitely test your skills and you'll want to ensure you've got the right and best setup for you throughout, but it's manageable. 

5 hours ago, Inuty said:

I didnt play much RE myself but tried it out with the same thought as you. To be honest the plat itself is fine in my opinion. If you dont like looking up guides or look up some Youtube strategies from people knowing the game insight out then i would suggest not to go for it. I play a lot of different stuff and would say i have some skill in regards to playing games and i was really proud of the 100% myself but it took me a while to get there. If you want a challenge this is a game i would recommend since the gameplay is fun and different to most other games but it is not easy.

The DLCs are a Step up in difficulty. They request different playstyles from you and can be reall stressful in the beginning because you have no clue how to tackle those trophies efficientely. I can guarantee you, that most of the trophies are not done with the first try and some took me a weekend to complete. So after reading all of this you need to decide for yourself if you want to try it out or not :)

5 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I have played the game and do not have the platinum, but I know that you can spend a lot of the DLC and madhouse playthrough running away. XD

In all honesty, if you use a video guide for your madhouse playthrough and DLC, I don't think you'll have a problem. The nice part about RE in general is there are a lot of fanatics for the series and a lot of strategies and optimization on how to handle bosses, who to fight/not fight etc.

So to answer your question: yes, it's hard. However, there's plenty of resources out there to push you through the finish line.

Have you all played this game using PSVR? For those that have and have 100% completion can all DLC be played in VR as well? I forget where I read it but someone said that not all of the DLC can be played in VR.

Just now, MrTacoNinja said:

Have you all played this game using PSVR? For those that have and have 100% completion can all DLC be played in VR as well? I forget where I read it but someone said that not all of the DLC can be played in VR.

I managed about 35 seconds in VR before it made me violently nauseous…

… but I’m someone who really reacts badly to any VR where the player is moving around in the space, rather than stationary or shifting point-to-point.

A pity though, as I’ve heard the VR is good - not sure if every dlc works with it - there are a few of the dlcs that I can imagine might not fit as well to the VR experience (the score based, super fast “Birthday” stuff for example)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I have, but I'm not sure if all the DLC can be played in VR. Granted, I would not try and do madhouse and the collectable stuff in VR or it's just going to be pain.

It's definitely worth trying in VR. It's been my favorite experience on it, but the only thing that has given me motion sickness is GT Sport so not a lot gets to me.

The plat is fun. The dlc… most of it is an annoying, frustrating, pain in @$$.  If you’re trying to make a determination on whether or not to play RE7 based on the dlc, I’d say maybe let this one go or play it on an alt account.  I 100%’d the PS4 version and wholeheartedly refused to pick up the PS5 version entirely because I’m not putting myself through all the dlc again.  

• Haha 1

By wording it differently in the Google search engine I came across this: 

Why I had to word it differently when my initial search basically asked the same goddamn thing is beyond me but at least now I have my answer.

...and I guess this is where my Resident Evil journey ends. I absolutely HATE first-person games and avoid them. To play the hardest trophy in the entire trophy set in a mode I absolutely cannot stand? Nah. In VR first-person is a completely different experience and it absolutely works. The fact that I was under the initial assumption that everything could be played in VR was the only reason I was willing to possibly give this game a go in the first place.

Ofc is possible. If you are persistent as you say, and you have determination needed for completing the game 3 times go for it(first time on Normal, Speedrun and on Madhouse diff). A week ago I plated the game and started working on DLC's. Finished Jack's birthday trophies, still got Survival+, End of Zoe and Ethan Never Dies. So, I am like you, an average player, but when I decide to see something through, I go for it, no matter how hard it is. I'm going a bit off topic, but just to give you an example...Last year I played COD:MW Remaster and there is a trophy for finishing one lvl on Veteran difficulty (Mile High Club trophy), if you played it you know what am I talking about...Long story short, I didn't use glitch, instead I needed around 300 tries at least to finish it. Good luck.

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2024 at 3:41 PM, Kruno21 said:

Ofc is possible. If you are persistent as you say, and you have determination needed for completing the game 3 times go for it(first time on Normal, Speedrun and on Madhouse diff). A week ago I plated the game and started working on DLC's. Finished Jack's birthday trophies, still got Survival+, End of Zoe and Ethan Never Dies. So, I am like you, an average player, but when I decide to see something through, I go for it, no matter how hard it is. I'm going a bit off topic, but just to give you an example...Last year I played COD:MW Remaster and there is a trophy for finishing one lvl on Veteran difficulty (Mile High Club trophy), if you played it you know what am I talking about...Long story short, I didn't use glitch, instead I needed around 300 tries at least to finish it. Good luck.

I see that you achieved 100% completion. How was it and how hard did you struggle?