Watchdogs and my issues with it

Killah184

I'd like to point out that the game doesn't actually look that much different from it's 2012 showing.

The visuals aren't quite as sharp as they were then - but that's because the game was running on a high-end PC. They didn't have any actual PS4/One hardware, so they didn't know their limits yet. The rig they used was based on the numbers they had. Supposedly, the game can actually still look like that on PC if you have the rig for it.

The console versions are basically running at "medium", I think they said.

The only true difference between then, and now, is that we've been seeing more gameplay during the daytime in game. The original trailer took place at night, in the rain, where everything was wet, reflective and dark.

Hell, even MGSV: Ground Zeroes looks massively different in the daylight, versus at night.

It's not being "cartooned", it's just different lighting. The daytime is more bright and colorful.

This was the game at E3 last year.

This is the game now.

Not actually that big of a difference.

I sincerely doubt they didn't have next gen hardware kits at that point. They said it's being developed primarily for PS4/One and then ported to PS360, how did they start development without the kits?

Also in general, the atmosphere doesn't seem the same, the graphics are less sharp and the actual world seems less detailed and lively, and it overall seems sillier. Like some kind of electronic drug in which they insert a USB into their ears has them fighting alien robots.

I mean c'mon, I was looking for a grounded story about the dangers of ever growing technology, not whatever the hell that was.

Like some kind of electronic drug in which they insert a USB into their ears has them fighting alien robots.

I mean c'mon, I was looking for a grounded story about the dangers of ever growing technology, not whatever the hell that was.

Ubisoft say that the main story is dark and grounded, but the 'distractions' you were talking about are simply to break pace, and let the player do stuff they wouldn't be able to do in the 'real' world (jump off buildings as robot spiders). You can ignore them if you really don't want to play them.

I think watch dogs looks great, and I never noticed the graphics problems until they were pointed out.

• Like 1

Ubisoft say that the main story is dark and grounded, but the 'distractions' you were talking about are simply to break pace, and let the player do stuff they wouldn't be able to do in the 'real' world (jump off buildings as robot spiders). You can ignore them if you really don't want to play them.

I think watch dogs looks great, and I never noticed the graphics problems until they were pointed out.

I suppose so, but the presence of those kinds of things sort of punches a hole in the game's lore, because it all seems..unfitting, in general. There are dozens of activities they could come up with, that's what they chose? 

The actual main story seems pretty uninteresting too, but I can't quite judge that just yet.

I sincerely doubt they didn't have next gen hardware kits at that point. They said it's being developed primarily for PS4/One and then ported to PS360, how did they start development without the kits?

Also in general, the atmosphere doesn't seem the same, the graphics are less sharp and the actual world seems less detailed and lively, and it overall seems sillier. Like some kind of electronic drug in which they insert a USB into their ears has them fighting alien robots.

They didn't have *real* devkits until 2013. What they had early on were PCs that were built on the rumored specs of the consoles. They didn't know how much memory the OS would take, how much memory they would actually be able to use out of the full 8GB available. They didn't even know how much RAM the systems would actually have.

Finalized specs for the PS4 weren't even available until December of 2012 - long after E3, and a mere month before they actually told anyone.

Plenty of games start development before they have real data - they build PCs based on the rumored specs, and then adjust once the final specs come in. How else would they have them finished in time for launch? Killzone Shadowfall, inFamous Second Son, Resogun - all of these games were being worked on before the PS4 was finally announced - unless these devs are magicians and managed to finish them within a few months :P

Also, we can't really speak on the tone of the game because we haven't really seen anymore of the story, other than what was shown in 2012/2013. Everything else has been multiplayer and side stuff unrelated to the actual narrative.

Edited by Kool-Aid

They didn't have *real* devkits until 2013. What they had early on were PCs that were built on the rumored specs of the consoles. They didn't know how much memory the OS would take, how much memory they would actually be able to use out of the full 8GB available. They didn't even know how much RAM the systems would actually have.

Finalized specs for the PS4 weren't even available until December of 2012 - long after E3, and a mere month before they actually told anyone.

Plenty of games start development before they have real data - they build PCs based on the rumored specs, and then adjust once the final specs come in. How else would they have them finished in time for launch? Killzone Shadowfall, inFamous Second Son, Resogun - all of these games were being worked on before the PS4 was finally announced - unless these devs are magicians and managed to finish them within a few months :P

Also, we can't really speak on the tone of the game because we haven't really seen anymore of the story, other than what was shown in 2012/2013. Everything else has been multiplayer and side stuff unrelated to the actual narrative.

Interesting info, mind providing me with a link or something? first time i'v heard of that info, but all in all it is a bit misleading, especially because they badgered us with this is how the game will look like, so most people bought into the detail and liveliness of the world.

I kind of doubt first party titles wouldn't have something to work off of though, especially since they look really close to the advertised product, don't they? 

There has been a story trailer and a ''character'' trailer, and from the info we can pool, it just doesn't look very interesting nor does it seem to capitalize on the potential. Again, story is the one thing that's just really hard to judge pre-release, so yeah i'm 50/50

Interesting info, mind providing me with a link or something? first time i'v heard of that info, but all in all it is a bit misleading, especially because they badgered us with this is how the game will look like, so most people bought into the detail and liveliness of the world.

I kind of doubt first party titles wouldn't have something to work off of though, especially since they look really close to the advertised product, don't they? 

There has been a story trailer and a ''character'' trailer, and from the info we can pool, it just doesn't look very interesting nor does it seem to capitalize on the potential. Again, story is the one thing that's just really hard to judge pre-release, so yeah i'm 50/50

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4011496/playstation-4-tech-specs-revealed-amd-jaguar-cpu-faster-blu-ray-720p The final specs were released February 20th. 8 months after E3. And they still weren't completely finalized - they were likely still adjusting the clock speed on the CPU/GPU.

First party devs probably knew a bit more about what the final system would be, but no one actually knew anything. Their early devkits were likely a lot closer to the actual system.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398427/nobody-knows-final-next-gen-hardware-specs-dice-exec-suggests/ That was in March.

As far as Watch_ Dogs is concerned - that IS how the game will look. On PC. Like I said before - the game is still capable of looking like that - just not on consoles.

As far as Watch_ Dogs is concerned - that IS how the game will look. On PC. Like I said before - the game is still capable of looking like that - just not on consoles.

But most of the people who purchase the game will be playing it on consoles. So wouldn't it make sense to show the version that most of your customers will be playing rather than the version the minority will play? Ubisoft knew what they were doing when they were hyping up the graphics to EVERYONE. Based on what I've seen, people aren't as much angry at the graphics right now, they're more-of angry that they were lied to.

Seriously people are going to complain about cash-ins? Gaming would get pretty fucking boring if there was only new games every year. Seriously some franchises are made to last longer than other, and as long Ubisoft keeps making quality games why can't they release it every year?

Edited by Bonofifa

But most of the people who purchase the game will be playing it on consoles. So wouldn't it make sense to show the version that most of your customers will be playing rather than the version the minority will play? Ubisoft knew what they were doing when they were hyping up the graphics to EVERYONE. Based on what I've seen, people aren't as much angry at the graphics right now, they're more-of angry that they were lied to.

No one was lied too, they never said the footage they showed off was PS4 or Xbone footage. The vast majority of developers show off the high end PC versions of their multiplatform games because that is what looks the best and if you have a high performance PC you can have a game that looks like that. I think most people knew that the original Watch Dogs gameplay was taken from a very powerful PM, because as I said, it is the industry norm. 

Parker

No one was lied too, they never said the footage they showed off was PS4 or Xbone footage. The vast majority of developers show off the high end PC versions of their multiplatform games because that is what looks the best and if you have a high performance PC you can have a game that looks like that. I think most people knew that the original Watch Dogs gameplay was taken from a very powerful PM, because as I said, it is the industry norm. 

Parker

Yes, but why even suggest it's PS4 gameplay, period? E3 2013 for example, they shouldn't have tried to fool people by using a PlayStation controller with the gameplay. If Ubisoft wanted people to assume it was PC gameplay, why not just use a keyboard and mouse on said-gameplay.

Yes, but why even suggest it's PS4 gameplay, period? E3 2013 for example, they shouldn't have tried to fool people by using a PlayStation controller with the gameplay. If Ubisoft wanted people to assume it was PC gameplay, why not just use a keyboard and mouse on said-gameplay.

Because it is generally much easier to play and present your game on stage by playing with a controller rather than having to drag out a keyboard and mouse. 

Parker

Because it is generally much easier to play and present your game on stage by playing with a controller rather than having to drag out a keyboard and mouse. 

Parker

Fair enough, but I thought it was pre-recoreded gameplay. Was it live? I don't seem to remember it being live...