Traditional gamertag system or Suffix based?

Xanes

Wanted to get the thoughts and opinions from the community, to see what they thought of the current naming system for modern gaming. To explain, Playstation and some older platforms still used the traditional gamertag system where only one can claim the ID/gamertag for themselves thus eliminating that name from the pool. Xbox has recently changed theirs to a suffix based system, this allows anyone to have any gamertag they desire, for example "name#0000".  Discord has change theirs to an older style, though it doesn't matter as much. Just curious to see who likes what, and what you guys think? 

Personally, I prefer to be the one and only person out there, but that's just me.

• Like 1

Xbox changed it recently to a suffix? I thought this happened years ago.

I don’t mind either way. I think the suffix is interesting in that you can choose any name that’s taken already, but I can see the numbers getting confusing. It was my experience with discord names. We’ll just have to watch and see with Xbox.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mina said:

Xbox changed it recently to a suffix? I thought this happened years ago.

I don’t mind either way. I think the suffix is interesting in that you can choose any name that’s taken already, but I can see the numbers getting confusing. It was my experience with discord names. We’ll just have to watch and see with Xbox.

You're correct, it was years ago. For me it feels recent since Xbox implemented the suffix but yeah it's been quite some time. I know there would be times, where sharing your name with someone and having to remember the numbers or look up on your phone it might lead to some confusion.

• Like 1

My initial thought was that the suffix system would help with the "every good username is taken" problem that's been around for years and will only ever get worse. Even I got an angry French kid messaging me a few years back over "stealing his name" (when it's gibberish that I'd probably been using for longer than he'd been alive). It's a lot harder to run out of names when there are ten thousand of each.

The more I think about it, though, the less sense that makes. After all, what's the difference between Name#1234 and Name1234? If anything, the suffix system makes that problem worse by smiting every name ending in fewer than 3 numbers from the pool.

The suffix system is so stupid because it's often implemented so badly. Yeah it's nice that the name you want isn't taken but the stupid number should never be visible unless maybe you pull up someone's full profile details or there's multiple people in a lobby or party with the same name. On Xbox it appears practically every game you play has your name listed as Username1234 because for some reason it's including the numbers, so what is even the point? Even on the Xbox dashboard it shows the numbers to you all over the place for no reason lol

• Like 4

I like how discord doesnt charge for change your tag, name or whatever. They could has easily put that into their premium service but didnt.

PSN on the other, though the first is free. You will have to pay $10 fucking dollars to change... a few months ago, if you were Ps plus member, they gave a discount on name change, I think it was $5. Now it doesnt even matter, if you on essential, extra or premium. You pay $10. It should be fucking free with the service, or at least for Premium.

But yeah it be nice if they go the route like other services, because I want a name thats taken...and that account is long dead. Not even sure if it ever was alive..

• Like 1

I prefer the older namertag system we've been using on PlayStation, it makes us think creatively or, at least, make the pursue for a good name more thrilling. I barely use Discord and can't even remember my #numbers there; people usually won't remember numbers very well.

Creativity is limitless, but regarding how people can come up with PSN IDs nowadays, I think that a compound name without numbers or without doing something with one of the letters (like doubling, tripling, etc.) is getting harder, but still very possible, I took a good one recently from a region I needed; but if you go with three words you definitely don't need to do anything stupid! Being honest though, I lost the count of good, funny, interesting names people came up with because apparently the original or most logical idea was already taken, hence long live the scarcity of names, it's like Mario's mustache born from a hardware limitation 😆 

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 10:39 PM, GravityQueeen said:

I prefer the older namertag system we've been using on PlayStation, it makes us think creatively or, at least, make the pursue for a good name more thrilling. I barely use Discord and can't even remember my #numbers there; people usually won't remember numbers very well.

So if someone was trolling you and make a ton of accounts named like, GravityQueeenn, GravityQueeeen, GravityQueenn, GravityQueeen1, 2 ,3 you wouldnt be annoyed and mind? I mean sure one can change their tag but it cost money.

I dislike the suffix system because it's really poorly implemented, in my Xbox profile it always shows the number, and even in games I can still see the number, and it feels like I'm a random account. Steam does it a lot better.

I like the uniqueness that you chose your name and were able to come up with it first. No one has taken my name or anything similar to it.

Also, I love to search for really simple and known games (like Sonic, Mario, Crash, etc), to see who has those profiles and if they're still playing, since all of those profiles were created in 2008. It works with any name, you can literally search "john" and someone from 2008 already made that account.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LadyGallethX3 said:

So if someone was trolling you and make a ton of accounts named like, GravityQueeenn, GravityQueeeen, GravityQueenn, GravityQueeen1, 2 ,3 you wouldnt be annoyed and mind? I mean sure one can change their tag but it cost money.

I think I would, no one wants a stalker, please, fellow trophy hunters, don't do that! Jokes aside, I still think that overall it's more fun the things we come up in the old system rather than having the same ID as others with only a different number. Society already treat people like numbers in many departments. 

Edited by GravityQueeen

I like the way Discord does it. Where my username is TheViper4Life, but my Display name can just be Viper. I've always strived to be "Viper" where ever I go...I've been using it as a nickname for 30 years, it's weirdly part of my identity. But I've been extremely EXTREMELY unlucky with it over the years...somehow I never see another "Viper" around the net (usually just names with Viper in it) yet the name is taken 99.9% of the time I sign up somewhere (so color me surprised when I was able to get it here)...including PSN when I made it in 2007....or AIM in 2001 when I had to make "TheViper4Life" as some disappointed alternative. So it'd be nice if we could just have a display name be whatever we want. 

• 1 month later...