Do you think video games are for kids?

draqilo

My wife would argue that I'm a big kid.  I turned 50 a couple weeks ago.  I've been gaming since Pac-Man and Galaga were in the arcades and the Atari 2600 and the Commodore 64.  I've taken breaks over the years, but I don't see myself ever stopping.  As others have said, gaming is for everyone no matter the age.  However, I would argue that most games today (especially those that are M+ or 18+) are definitely NOT for kids.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SoliDeoGloriaIHS said:

(especially those that are M+ or 18+) are definitely NOT for kids.

I always loved M+ and 18+ games, when I was 6-8 years old I played so much of those and It learned more things then I learned at school!

Also remember that a lot of so-called adults who don't need no damned videogames are still likely to spend as much time on their phones playing solitaire, Duolingo, generic match-3 puzzles or whatever other apps that are TOTALLY NOT videogames.

• Like 1

Maybe that used to be the general consensus, or perhaps a bad stereo type, in the late 80s early 90s era. Since however those kids grew into adults, many of which are still into video games. Whether or not people still think that, it just isn’t the case.

There are countless examples of video games certainly not aimed at children for example the torture scenes in gta V, the serial killer simulator that is manhunt, the provocative dead or alive xtreme beach volleyball series etc

I believe video games are for children is a stereotype that was a whole lot more dominant years ago and has slowly faded away.

Nobody who spends a few minutes looking at the vast variety of video games available in this day in age would say they are all for children.

Edited by Mr_Fluffy_Pants_
  • Like 2

I'm 43 and have been an avid gamer since the 80's. The medium has evolved so much over the years that it's no longer just a children's hobby, it's a wildly diverse hobby that welcomes all ages. Hell, look at the bestselling and most acclaimed games of the past decade, many are M-Rated and geared to a mature audience. 

• Like 2

Depends E everyone 3+ T  maybe 8+ and M at least 16+ 

it just depends on their Age

I have been doing this for a long time just on XBOX mostly

There are games for kids that are BABY games some being shovelware like My Friend Peppa Pig or PJ masks both $40 though and get old in like 2 hours SCAM to me. In a way

not paying $40 for Shovelware 

Garbage to me. 
Like sometimes I feel like shovelware is a scam now like my name is mayo $3 Easy and cheap but My friend pepper pig is $40 for like 2 to 5 hours ( without discount or premium ps+) like No

8 minutes ago, armamac14 said:

There are games for kids that are BABY games some being shovelware like My Friend Peppa Pig or PJ masks both $40 though and get old in like 2 hours SCAM to me. In a way

Garbage to me. 
Like sometimes I feel like shovelware is a scam now like my name is mayo $3 Easy and cheap but My friend pepper pig is $40 for like 2 to 5 hours ( without discount or premium ps+) like No

Shovelware is so expensive. why it sometimes is not even good and a baby game for 4 year olds like No

Edited by armamac14

41 minutes ago, armamac14 said:

Garbage to me. 

Shovelware is so expensive. why it sometimes is not even good and a baby game for 4 year olds like No

It's probably a scam to you because, well to say it simply, you're not a kid and it doesn't appeal to you? The game would take the average young child more than 5 hours definetly. They actually get it's moneys worth.

They're for everyone. Some games are for kids, some are for a more mature audience (Mortal Kombat, Samurai Spirits/Shodown), and some are for a general audience.

It's not just content but also the complexity of the game. A game based on a franchise like Paw Patrol or PJMasks will likely be simpler for kids. Adults would probably grow bored with it.

Sega Saturn's Sailor Moon Super S Various Emotion fighting game has a completely bonkers CPU. This one has some pretty strong perfect play AI that is as difficult as MK2's Shao Kahn fight (hah... at least!). I believe it uses input reading. The continue screen will show one of Tuxedo Mask's roses for every re-challenge... I beat the game once, but with a total of 52 used continues. The Japanese version of the Sailor Moon anime wasn't really meant for kids. It's at a hard PG-13 level, and shit gets real. Its syndicated North American dub from 1995 was censored to hell and back. If SMSSVE had a USA release, they probably would have added easier difficulties and labeled the default as "Extra Hard".

Though it's family friendly, a game like Mr. Driller is not one that most younger (< 10 yrs)kids would come to grips with so easily. Mr. Driller G is a considerable step up in difficulty from the first one. It's more complex than it looks. If you're not careful, you could easily Jenga the blocks that are above you and now offscreen, with an ensuing cave-in. You want to be fast, but keep control over the block formations the best you can.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

the content warnings from a couple of my recently played games:

IMG-4815.jpg

temp-Imagea-Fz9s-T.avif

Lmao, your right is not for kids but will kids not play it?  They would probably, so many 18+ games I played when I was really young! I was never interessed really into kids games.

13 minutes ago, draqilo said:

Lmao, your right is not for kids but will kids not play it?  They would probably, so many 18+ games I played when I was really young! I was never interessed really into kids games.

I mean, there's a sliding scale really. 

I also grew up without any real restrictions on games I played...

...but when I was a kid, there were some games with adult ratings, but TBH, back then, it wasn't like anything a game could present was ever actually going to disturb a kid, as it was so cartoonish and pixelated, that you couldn't really have gotten anything too disturbing. 

I do think that now though, both graphical fidelity and games as a medium have moved so much further, than there is both the potential for very realistic gore and violence, or pretty strong sexual content, and - I would say more importantly - much more complicated, and therefore, potentially disturbing emotional content, that I probably would want to keep away from younger or more impressionable kids. 

Personally, I would still try and keep something like modern Mortal Kombat style highly-detailed, extreme violence and guts and gore away from the eyes of under 10s...

...and probably would keep things like Soma or Outlast, or more disturbing horror away from kids under 12 or 13 - and that kind of content simply wasn't a thing when I was growing up. The most we had was, like Nighttrap - which was comical, even as it tried to be scary.

There is also things like Immortality, (which that second warning is from), it is literally filmed footage of erotic cinema (some of which is pretty much identical to soft-core skin-flick) some pretty disturbing horror, and a lot of kind of nasty abuse on show - and so the argument reverts back to more film ideas - some kids are going to be able to handle seeing that kind of cinema earlier than others, so it comes down to parental judgement.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Most games seem to be pandering to young adults in the 18-25 range. Not very common to see advertisement campaigns trying to attract kids to a game.

Even something like Peppa Pig pushed the idea that it was a gameparents could enjoy with their kid, those kids that wouldn't have the motor functions to play.

There were a bunch of PC games in the early days of PC gaming, before nanny classification laws, that were definitely not kid friendly.

I still got my hands on them, when I was a kid, and that was pre-internet.

The PS2 snuck a few dodgy/questionable games in, which I managed to pick up in Bali in the early 2000s...

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 7:50 PM, Tiagozak said:

Also remember that a lot of so-called adults who don't need no damned videogames are still likely to spend as much time on their phones playing solitaire, Duolingo, generic match-3 puzzles or whatever other apps that are TOTALLY NOT videogames.

I had to call out somebody at work for talking bad about video games when she has played a ton of Candy Crush on her phone. 😆

2 hours ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

There were a bunch of PC games in the early days of PC gaming, before nanny classification laws, that were definitely not kid friendly.

I still got my hands on them, when I was a kid, and that was pre-internet.

The PS2 snuck a few dodgy/questionable games in, which I managed to pick up in Bali in the early 2000s...

Bali is PAL? I really thought they were NTSC oops, and when you were a kid? YOU WERE A CHILD???

Edited by modest_undue1