Do you think video games are for kids?

draqilo

I'm 14 y.o and I almost know no one(adults), playing video games. Everyone I know that play games are young kids. I started play video games at 6 years old, as soon I got my Wii U. And almost all gamers, I met IRL are kids.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrTacoNinja said:

I'd kill to be your age again. Enjoy your youth while it lasts.

Thanks, I don't play alot(only a day/week), sometime I play more(during long breaks). I enjoy as much I can. I'm spending hours playing while I can. I was playing way more when I was 8 years old on PS4, spending days and nights not sleeping because I was grinding some game. I'm enjoying my youth and hope it will continue like that.

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

temp-Imagez-Dkvk6.avif

that's from this information here:

https://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/2021-Essential-Facts-About-the-Video-Game-Industry-1.pdf

and is for the US, so while the total numbers would vary, I would imagine the rough percentages are similar in most 1st world countries.

Wow... I'm suprised... Didn't except so much adults playing video games. In my family no one playing games, maybe that's why I think there not that much adults gamers??

I'm 33 years old and been playing since I can remember from master system, mega drive, nes, snes, n64 etc basically had every console and still going strong. My brother is 37 and still plays as well though mainly Fifa. I think it's more that when you become an adult you have less time to game due to family, kids, work etc. 

I'm lucky in that my wife enjoys me having a hobby and also games with me occasionally so I'm able to split up my evenings between us doing something together or doing our own thing 

5 minutes ago, Maxine said:

I've been playing video games since I was 3, and I will back up @MrTacoNinja's point on enjoying your youth while it lasts. Video games can be enjoyed by anyone of any age and just have fun playing them!

Same here, I was either 2 or 3 when I played my first game, which I believe was either Repton 3 or Mario Bros. for the Acorn Electron 🤔.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

24 minutes ago, draqilo said:

Wow... I'm suprised... Didn't except so much adults playing video games. In my family no one playing games, maybe that's why I think there not that much adults gamers??

This is a key factor. As a 14 year old, you're probably not gonna be in social circles that contain many adults, outside your family members.

Edited by Stevieboy

21 minutes ago, draqilo said:

Most people from the 90's simply grew up with video games. My parents bought me a PlayStation when I was 4 and a copy of Crash Bandicoot. It's funny seeing the average at 31 years old, which is how old I am.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Most people from the 90's simply grew up with video games. My parents bought me a PlayStation when I was 4 and a copy of Crash Bandicoot. It's funny seeing the average at 31 years old, which is how old I am.

I feel all of this in my soul. 

15 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Same here, I was either 2 or 3 when I played my first game, which I believe was either Repton 3 or Mario Bros. for the Acorn Electron 🤔.

Acorn Electron huh? 

Oliver Willis on X: "@ehananoki mercola... well that's a name i havent heard  in a long time https://t.co/PfxWOxrkSR" / X

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm speaking purely from an anecdotal point of view, but I find that it's usually the younger people that don't game. I'm in my 30s and all of my friends that are around my age are gamers to some degree. On the other hand, the few people I know in their 20s (my girlfriend, roommate, and some coworkers) do not game at all.

Again, that's just my IRL experience, but I have also noticed that there are more people on this website that in their 30s and 40s as opposed to 20s. Either way, don't think too much about it. You're still very young; you're gonna meet new people as you go to college/the workforce/etc. and you're bound to make friends with at least one other gamer.

Having a portable gaming console helps too, as corny as it sounds. I play my Vita at my work and I've met gamers because they noticed me playing it.

If video games are (only?) for kids, what's with all the M rated games that exist?

Seriously, you're pretty young. Go ahead and look up what anecdotes are. Also, enjoy your time mostly interacting with people you're age. You shouldn't know a lot of non-family adults in real life yet, but one day you might be able to look back at your post here and hopefully find it amusing.

Looking at the title of this thread I was about to leave an “ok boomer” response. I still am even though you’re a teen, but seriously though, the “gaming’s for kids” stigma should’ve died off a long time ago.

Edited by whodeygamer

11 minutes ago, Dinniestar said:

100% account 

with Fortnite

With hidden trophy. And yeah fortnite platinum took me kinda long... Fortnite is the game I played the most(6000 hours) and one of my favorite but now I stopped.

• Like 1

I mean, yeah, kind of. It doesn't mean I don't love games, but part of my love is the fact that many continue to retain their childhood innocence. I'm mostly allergic to "serious" games (though I can be convinced with good gameplay).  And there's nothing inherently wrong with games as a child's hobby (don't make me break out C.S. Lewis again!).

I play games as an escape, and I can think of no greater escape than to remember my youth, when I had few responsibilities.  I hope games continue to be about saving the world from monsters and other nonsense like that, rather than hard decisions that children posing as adults are forced to make in a post-apocalyptic world...where flowers try to kill you.