Worth playing if never played original?

This game is leaving psn plus March 19 2024.  Was wondering if this is worth going for before then if I've never played the original?   Saw reviews and they all seem positive, but my backlog is huge with a lot of stuff I want to finish and/or play.  With that in mind I'm in the process of watching a recap of the prequel.  So far the premise sounds fun.  Due to its length, is it worth it to go for it with such little time left, or wait for it to go on sale and pick it up with unlimited time to plat?

The game is worth going through. The plat is a pain, and I wouldn't advise rushing through it.

Do watch that recap first, and be sure to look at the extra content the Switch version had. By the end NEO references that stuff a lot.

11 minutes ago, WhooFlungPoo-_- said:

Curious if you could elaborate on "pain"?  Just wanna get all the info I can before deciding to hit it before its deletion.

It's very grindy and many items needed for plat depend on RNG to drop

Second that the plat is awful. Takes forever and is not fun to go for. Honestly I didn't like the game much either. The combat doesn't really work very well compared to the first game on DS (can't speak for the switch version) and most of the good music is just rehashes of tracks from that game too.

If you wanna experience TWEWY I'd just play the first one. It makes great use of the dual screen and touch screen features of the DS!

I personally can't recommend this game, it's far too long. I like the overall battle system and pin customization, but once the game makes you play spot the difference Where's Wally style with pictures, I had enough. It's as bad as it sounds. You can't skip cutscenes either, so you have to mash X to get through. If you enjoy Tetsuya Nomura plot nonsense like Kingdom Hearts, you'll probably enjoy this. 

• Like 1

I share similar views I liked the pins overall (their designs/names etc), but did not enjoy the battling since the majority of the time it was just button mashing (for large parts of the game) however I did like the music having never played the original. 

The plat is pretty bad though I used an in depth walkthrough and even then I had to spend a good amount of the time in this game farming for drops i wasnt going to use. 

My biggest "letdown" was the story. I'd been aware of this game since it came out and despite (or maybe because of watching enough anime) this just seemed like a generic death game anime that could have come out in like 2007. Oh and get a turbo controller because good God some of the dialog goes on way too long to not have any kind of useful fast forward or even auto button most of the time. 

Currently working on the platinum (nearly finished) & while I think the game is great, the platinum is such a pain in the ass & one of the most boring grindfests when it comes to getting the platinum. Especially with some of the drop rates being just utterly stupid low even with bringing yourself down to level 1 & equipping every single drop rate boosting item. Also, it is HEAVILY recommended to at least watch the anime & then the cutscenes for A New Day from the original game since if you don't, you'll be missing so much context for the later half of the game, especially the ending sections, not to mention it spoils the hell out of the original game if you do plan to play/watch it in the future.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:46 AM, Kamurotetsu said:

You can't skip cutscenes either, so you have to mash X to get through.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:29 PM, SpaceIsDandy said:

Oh and get a turbo controller because good God some of the dialog goes on way too long to not have any kind of useful fast forward or even auto button most of the time. 

You can hold R2 to fast forward through dialogue when replaying chapters. Still should have added a cutscene skip, but you don't really need to play through a majority of the days again either way since all the boss noises are usually right at the start, or the pig noise are pretty quick to get to, minus a few.

8 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

You can hold R2 to fast forward through dialogue when replaying chapters. Still should have added a cutscene skip, but you don't really need to play through a majority of the days again either way since all the boss noises are usually right at the start, or the pig noise are pretty quick to get to, minus a few.

from the single time i used the fast forward it seemed to be about as fast as spamming x?

I meant just mashing through the dialog the first time haha, like I said I was disappointed with how basic the story was and how basic/uninteresting most/all of the characters were. That is probably due to the height of my anime consumption being around the time that death game amines "blew up" in popularity and like you said its going for the plat that REALLY kills the enjoyment even more so on a time limit im sure it would be more palatable if you had a year to do it vs a few weeks. 

5 hours ago, SpaceIsDandy said:

from the single time i used the fast forward it seemed to be about as fast as spamming x?

In terms of the speech bubbles, you can actually mash X faster than than the fast forward goes through them, but the cut in portraits speed up a lot when fast forwarding, so overall fast forwarding ends up being a bit faster.

I personally enjoyed the story & characters, but I haven't really watched much death game type animes outside of a handful. The platinum does certainly kill a ton of enjoyment of the game though & I'm glad it's finally over for me lol

• Haha 1

Chiming in, characters, music, and design are great, but wow does scramble week 2 and the grind to 100% makes this game lose absolutely all of its steam. Quite quickly does it become a "wow what comes next" to a "why am I still here and even doing this at all"

• Like 1