Is buying a PSVita worth it?

Simsm

The depth of my wallet does not extend and expand forever and money is tight right now. So I really need to start making some choices on how I am going to spend my money on gaming at the moment.

Now, I understand that I have alot of unfinished games and most people would probably just suggest that I complete those first... but the reason that I don't have alot of these games done is simply because I have very little time to actually play these games.

I have alot of free time while at school but none of it I can spend gaming because... you know, the fact that my ps3 and 4 are at home... But I could be playing a PSVita!

I also have a few games for it because of the PS Crossbuy and because of PlayStation Plus. However, I am trying to monitor how much money I am spending. And although a PSVita is well within my limits to buy, it would be a big chunk of my money and would be foolish. So, tell me...

Should I buy a PSVita, invest the money in other games, or just not spend the money?

Or just in general, should I get a Vita at any point in the future?

• Like 1

Take a look at the games available on the system and decide if you'd have fun playing them. Personally, the Vita is by far my favorite handheld and easily worth the asking price. It has a great selection of games and it is very comfortable to game on. 

But I don't know what your taste in games is like so you're the only one qualified to make a decision like this.

Parker

• Like 2

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: not if you want to play a lot of big budget triple A games. If you like indie and foreign games, sure. The big games are really good though, Persona 4 Golden, Killzone Mercenary, and Uncharted are really good. Mortal Kombat runs well too. 

• Like 3

I'd look at getting one in the future, especially if you already have a heap of games for it thanks to PS+.  But right now, it doesn't sound like a good idea for you.

Keep "purchasing" all the free PS+ games you can for now, so that they're in your available downloads when you eventually get one.  This will only increase the Vita's value when you get it.

1. Why buy another console if you say that you barely have time to invest in completing the collection for the one you currently own? You're going to have an even bigger backlog and more wasted money.

2. If you're in high school, unless its during a very generously long lunch, pay attention in class and graduate.

3. It all totally matters what you're looking to do. If you're looking to take some cross buys off of that PS3/4 backlog and/or play some great B or indie titles on the go...then yes eventually get it. If you are looking to get the same AAA experiences you get from your Sony home console on the go then no, leave it alone. 

Personally, I love mine and play it far more than my 3DS. The former part of #3 is the bulk of my experience with it since having it from launch. Its a good lunch time distraction while at work (which are generously long :) ). There are few expectional titles (systems sellers) like Persona 4 Golden and Virtue's Last Reward which provide about the equal level of quality that one would commonly expect from a high end console game. But those are far and few in between.

Do you have a Game Boy Advance? If not I'd really suggest picking one of those up. It has a fantastic library of games and both the system and games can be had for very cheap. So if you're looking for a new gaming experience and never had a GBA (I recommend the SP) that is what I'd go for. You would definitely save a lot of money.

Parker

• Like 2

1. Why buy another console if you say that you barely have time to invest in completing the collection for the one you currently own? You're going to have an even bigger backlog and more wasted money.

2. If you're in high school, unless its during a very generously long lunch, pay attention in class and graduate.

The reason I want a Vita is so that I can take it with me and not want to blow my brains out waiting between classes. I can't lug a PS3 to campus but a Vita could actually play something for more than 30 minutes at a time and while on the go.

And I'm in college. And I scheduled my classes in a way that would allow me to have plenty of down time inbetween for homework and studying. However, the homework is super easy and studying is something that I just don't do. I'm not gonna lie about that. Never really need too.

Do you have a Game Boy Advance? If not I'd really suggest picking one of those up. It has a fantastic library of games and both the system and games can be had for very cheap. So if you're looking for a new gaming experience and never had a GBA (I recommend the SP) that is what I'd go for. You would definitely save a lot of money.

Parker

My brother stole my SP and all my games. So I don't have anything now. And sold my PSP a while ago. I pretty much just play flash games on Kongregate to bide my time, but those get pretty repetitive.

But if I totally had a GBA, this would be a whole different story. I'd be playing Pokemon Trading Card Game.

The reason I want a Vita is so that I can take it with me and not want to blow my brains out waiting between classes. I can't lug a PS3 to campus but a Vita could actually play something for more than 30 minutes at a time and while on the go.

And I'm in college. And I scheduled my classes in a way that would allow me to have plenty of down time inbetween for homework and studying. However, the homework is super easy and studying is something that I just don't do. I'm not gonna lie about that. Never really need too.

My brother stole my SP and all my games. So I don't have anything now. And sold my PSP a while ago. I pretty much just play flash games on Kongregate to bide my time, but those get pretty repetitive.

But if I totally had a GBA, this would be a whole different story. I'd be playing Pokemon Trading Card Game.

1 & 2. OHHHHH, that makes a big difference then. If you're looking to play some games 30 minutes at time then yeah, the Vita is the way to go. Between those indies, budget titles, and PS mobile games, you can't go wrong. Just don't bother with either of the 2 games I mentioned before because you just may either blow your brains out from trying to get the most out of them or end up playing WAY longer than the planned 30 minute interval (my unfortunate reality). But in college, you may have a few more minutes to spare especially with easy classes/schedule.

Edited by merciful84

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Keep in mind, I think the Vita is an amazing system and definitely worth the purchase but in your case where you have a relatively small budget, I think the SP is the way to go. When you have the money I definitely think you should buy a Vita though, provided you like the games on it. 

Parker

• Like 1

If you're on PS+ grab all the VITA games now.  Once you have a decent collection it might make the handheld itself more appealing.

If money is tight it's still a wedge of cash for a handheld and might not be worth it.  For me, I could spare the money and if anything I play the VITA almost more than the other 2 Playstations right now.

• Like 1

Parker

Way to think outside the box Parker. The amount of time I spent on my Game Boy Advance is something I look back on and I have no regrets. Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Mega Man, Legend of Zelda, Golden Sun, the list goes on. One of the best handheld consoles along with the Nintendo DS and the PS Vita. Can't go wrong with a GBA. The topic creator can always get a GBA emulator for his PC or phone but the experience doesn't quite match up to holding a GBA in your hand. 

@Simsm, is the PS Vita worth it? It depends really. Personally I am having a blast with it ever since I brought it and I play it on the go whenever I'm not using my PS3/PS4. There's some great games for it such as Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden. Like the others said, if you are short on cash, it's best to wait to buy it for later.