Nope

cobaltTangerine

Man, I'm giving up on this one. I have Fallout 1st until March 20th, but there are so many levels of problems with this game design. I haven't played Starfield or the free-to-play Elder Scrolls game, but what a fall this studio has taken. Skyrim and New Vegas are 2 of my top 10 games of all time. Fallout 3 and 4 are somewhere in my 30s. It baffles me that there are players with 1000 leveling I come across playing regularly. I love that players are enjoying the game but I simply don't get it.  I hate how boring and monetized-driven this studio that I once loved has become.

Edited by cobaltTangerine

It's actually a good game now. Just one of the 3 storylines is horrible. The other two are great and the endgame loop is really solid now.

As for monetization, all they sell is cosmetics, plus you can earn the currency in game. It's not bad at all.

The game has become really great sometime in the last 17 dlc's.  If you made it through more than two story quests before you started grinding trophies and complaining, maybe you'd see some of what I'm talking about lol.

It's not meant to be a Fallout game. It's meant to be a looter shooter, and it's a great one imo.

Edited by KingGuy420

14 minutes ago, cobaltTangerine said:

I’m Level 46 and I’ve yet to begin grinding trophies. It’s boring game, I don’t care what type of game it is supposed to be. “It’s not meant to be a Fallout game.” 

Dude. I can see your trophies lol. I can see that you've only made it to the second mission. 

As far as I'm concerned, you're opinion is meaningless since you've seen less than 5% of it. Might as well judge it by its cover lol.

You've seen enough to know you don't like it, and that's fine. You have not seen enough to tell others not to like it or criticize those that do.

You even said yourself that you might be playing the game wrong. You definitely are.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Dude. I can see your trophies lol. I can see that you've only made it to the second mission. 

As far as I'm concerned, you're opinion is meaningless since you've seen less than 5% of it.

You've seen enough to know you don't like it, and that's fine. You have not seen enough to tell others not to like it or criticize those that do.

You even said yourself that you might be playing the game wrong. You definitely are.

I’ve played the game 20 hours. It’s boring. I’m not compelled to continue with the story, so I was trying other things. 

I haven’t told other people to not like the game or criticize those who do like the game. You can look at every post I've made on this site over the years and I do not criticize other opinions. You've told me my opinion is meaningless and I'm playing the game wrong. Ok.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

It's actually a good game now. Just one of the 3 storylines is horrible. The other two are great and the endgame loop is really solid now.

As for monetization, all they sell is cosmetics, plus you can earn the currency in game. It's not bad at all.

The game has become really great sometime in the last 17 dlc's.  If you made it through more than two story quests before you started grinding trophies and complaining, maybe you'd see some of what I'm talking about lol.

It's not meant to be a Fallout game. It's meant to be a looter shooter, and it's a great one imo.

Looter shooter, you say? You mean like Borderlands? (I've not played Fallout 76, but I have played Borderlands and enjoyed those games, so colour me interested!)

Id try it out. But it is completely different than a borderlands or looter shooters in general. This is a live service game that makes things bit tedious, as they usually do. Loved the Borderlands games, especially 2. Loved 4 months with Destiny and a year with Warframe. This is a full priced game, which you can get on sale, that is IMO a fraction of a game like Warframe, which is free to play, and had much more personal engagement. If people love this game, that is great. But give it a shot for a week or 2 before your invest in it, because the game stays the same throughout with about a dozen ideas recycled. Warframe does the same, just depends on what you like.

I love Fallout 76. The endgame stuff sucks but the main campaign and expansions are great.

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with it.  I'd at least encourage you to push through and give the Wastelanders and Steel Reign expansions a go. The latter of which has a really good story IMO. If you're not a fan of the main campaign you can at least play these expansions.

My other advice is to approach this more like a co-op survival RPG . Enemies are beefier because they're designed for co-op gameplay so if you shoot everything you see you're gonna run out of ammo quickly. Stealth where you can. If playing solo I'd also advise making a melee build as melee is always OP in Fallout games.  Plus there's a trophy regarding a certain melee weapon in the DLCs that will be cakewalk in combat if you've specced into melee. Don't give up!

• Like 4

As someone with the 100%, the game is awful. People say it got better but in my opinion it got worse (I played on launch, I know how bad it was). All they did was change 1 problem for another problem. Instead of encountering high ass levels enemies early, now everything scales to you. Which would be fine if finding/crafting good weapons/armor wasn't a pain in the ass so everything becomes a bullet sponge & hits like a truck mid to late game. Once you hit endgame, it becomes a cake walk again because you're just absurdly overpowered by that point.

The balancing sucks, the looting is boring, the enemies are overly tanky for no reason, the limited storage space is absurdly stupid, especially with how much everything weighs, the questlines are uninteresting, the new content they keep adding is just mind-numbingly boring & repetitive.

Not to mention the game is still riddled with bugs, like any Bethesda title. Including bugs that have literally been around since launch day, such as your quest log breaking tracking, so you just need to wait it out until the game decides to fix it, & the fact the party system is broken as hell, thinking you're not in the same world when you clearly are since you can see the person right in front of you.

Awful game, don't recommend it to even hardcore Fallout fans. If you enjoy it, I'm happy for you, but I seriously cannot understand how.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

I love Fallout 76. The endgame stuff sucks but the main campaign and expansions are great.

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with it.  I'd at least encourage you to push through and give the Wastelanders and Steel Reign expansions a go. The latter of which has a really good story IMO. If you're not a fan of the main campaign you can at least play these expansions.

My other advice is to approach this more like a co-op survival RPG . Enemies are beefier because they're designed for co-op gameplay so if you shoot everything you see you're gonna run out of ammo quickly. Stealth where you can. If playing solo I'd also advise making a melee build as melee is always OP in Fallout games.  Plus there's a trophy regarding a certain melee weapon in the DLCs that will be cakewalk in combat if you've specced into melee. Don't give up!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it. I wasn't trying to be snarky with my initial comment. Like I said, big fan of the Fallout games.

Ammo is definitely an issue, but it just seems like yet another thing I need to grind out. I don't mind grinding, but it just seems like this game has levels upon levels of grind that are simply funneling you to buy Fallout 1st because of the Junk Storage or whatever it is called. The problem I have is nothing changes in gameplay. I built my camp right outside of Vault 76 and 5 enemies spawn. No matter how much I level, they still take the same amount of 5 or 6 shots to kill. It just doesn't feel like I'm making any progress. I'm running through ammo and stimpacks and weapons/armor breaking down with no sign of progress. It seems like an endless loop that never progresses. 

50 minutes ago, ObsiEez said:

As someone with the 100%, the game is awful. People say it got better but in my opinion it got worse (I played on launch, I know how bad it was). All they did was change 1 problem for another problem. Instead of encountering high ass levels enemies early, now everything scales to you. Which would be fine if finding/crafting good weapons/armor wasn't a pain in the ass so everything becomes a bullet sponge & hits like a truck mid to late game. Once you hit endgame, it becomes a cake walk again because you're just absurdly overpowered by that point.

The balancing sucks, the looting is boring, the enemies are overly tanky for no reason, the limited storage space is absurdly stupid, especially with how much everything weighs, the questlines are uninteresting, the new content they keep adding is just mind-numbingly boring & repetitive.

Not to mention the game is still riddled with bugs, like any Bethesda title. Including bugs that have literally been around since launch day, such as your quest log breaking tracking, so you just need to wait it out until the game decides to fix it, & the fact the party system is broken as hell, thinking you're not in the same world when you clearly are since you can see the person right in front of you.

Awful game, don't recommend it to even hardcore Fallout fans. If you enjoy it, I'm happy for you, but I seriously cannot understand how.

So, I don't like agreeing with people who have the same opinion in the desire to be objective, but I can't help but agree with everything you say. I think overly grindy games work IF they work for you, I get the play a game and listen to a podcast setup. I put a year into Warframe and still don't understand why it isn't considered a classic, but it is a pain in the butt and I get people not connecting. Fallout 76 just makes me angry. I keep saying to myself "I bought this game and payed $12 for a monthly subscription. Why??" There is a good game in here, but the balancing and looting are aweful in 2024. Also, there is no strategy in combat. It is kiting and hitting lower limbs to slow the enemy down.

• Like 2

I played this again recently and while it was enjoyable at times it crashed constantly. Every hour or two it crashed and if you are clearing out a cave when it crashes you will have to start over again. For the person above that said they sell cosmetics only is a straight lie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ObsiEez said:

I played the Beta and compared to that disaster, the game is a lot better now than it was but it's still a broken pile of crap with a dull story that goes nowhere, plus the endgame is mind-numbingly boring and gives no real reason to carry on playing once you have a decent build. I have the 100% and whilst I'm glad to have to experienced the game to the end, it's not something I would recommend to anyone except the most diehard of hardcore Fallout fans, because it does nothing the previous games haven't already done a lot better and years earlier. I'm seriously considering uninstalling the game in the near future so I can reclaim the 106gb of hard drive space it's currently using and put it to better use.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cobaltTangerine said:

. I built my camp right outside of Vault 76 

Since you were asking about how you're playing the game wrong. This is one. You can fast travel to Vault 76 for free so there's no reason to build your camp near there. You should build your camp in an area that you want to freely fast travel to frequently.

By the way, this is probably the least monetized live service game I've ever played. There's literally no pressure or any reason whatsoever to think that a microtransaction is necessary. Fallout 1st is totally unnecessary. It gives extra storage? Unnecessary. Just don't pick up all the garbage that's everywhere. The game goes a lot faster and is more enjoyable when you realize there's no point in scouring every corner of every room to pick up all the aluminum cans.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

I played the Beta and compared to that disaster, the game is a lot better now than it was but it's still a broken pile of crap with a dull story that goes nowhere, plus the endgame is mind-numbingly boring and gives no real reason to carry on playing once you have a decent build. I have the 100% and whilst I'm glad to have to experienced the game to the end, it's not something I would recommend to anyone except the most diehard of hardcore Fallout fans, because it does nothing the previous games haven't already done a lot better and years earlier. I'm seriously considering uninstalling the game in the near future so I can reclaim the 106gb of hard drive space it's currently using and put it to better use.

I also played the beta & while it isn't nearly as broken as it was then, for me personally it's just as bad now as it was back then since they just exchanged old problems for new ones like I mentioned earlier.

That "beta" was a sorry excuse for a beta though since they didn't change or update a single thing from beta to launch. I mean, it being 2 weeks before launch was a dead giveaway but man, at least they could have fixed something

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cobaltTangerine said:

Man, I'm giving up on this one. I have Fallout 1st until March 20th, but there are so many levels of garbage on this game design. I haven't played Starfield or the free-to-play Elder Scrolls game, but what a turd this studio has turned into. Skyrim and New Vegas are 2 of my top 10 games of all time. It baffles me that there are players with 1000 leveling I come across playing regularly. I love that players are enjoying the game but how? I simply hate how boring and monetized-driven this studio has become.

The only thing I can think of is I'm playing the game wrong. I'd love to like it. But brother, this seems like a Macho Man elbow drop off the top rope.

New Vegas was actually made by Obsidian. As someone that adores Skyrim, I don't think Bethesda could have made that game. Writing is just not their strong point. New Vegas' story carries the game, whereas Skyrim's EXCELLENT world is doing the heavy lifting.

Bethesda's world design is great. It was great. Fallout 76's world doesn't interest me. I didn't click with it. Not for me. Still need to plat it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Thanks HuntingFever. I've always appreciated all the work you've done on the site and have 100% respect for your opinion. 👊

6 hours ago, AlonMercer said:

New Vegas was actually made by Obsidian. As someone that adores Skyrim, I don't think Bethesda could have made that game. Writing is just not their strong point. New Vegas' story carries the game, whereas Skyrim's EXCELLENT world is doing the heavy lifting.

Bethesda's world design is great. It was great. Fallout 76's world doesn't interest me. I didn't click with it. Not for me. Still need to plat it. 

I agree totally. Skyrim had great environmental storytelling. I will say the books in Skyrim added so much to the lore that I haven't seen in a game often. New Vegas has really good world design, but it is sparse. I still prefer it to Fallout 3 where downtown DC becomes corridors. I think Fallout 4 has great, dense world design. Story not so much. The Fallout 76 world just seems artificial. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Milktastrophe said:

Since you were asking about how you're playing the game wrong. This is one. You can fast travel to Vault 76 for free so there's no reason to build your camp near there. You should build your camp in an area that you want to freely fast travel to frequently.

By the way, this is probably the least monetized live service game I've ever played. There's literally no pressure or any reason whatsoever to think that a microtransaction is necessary. Fallout 1st is totally unnecessary. It gives extra storage? Unnecessary. Just don't pick up all the garbage that's everywhere. The game goes a lot faster and is more enjoyable when you realize there's no point in scouring every corner of every room to pick up all the aluminum cans.

That is a good point. I didn't realize I could fast-travel to the Vault for free. I mainly did it because I knew of the enemy spawn points and the Protectron that had the 3 Stimpaks.

As for monetization, I just don't see it in a full-priced game. You are simply gating quality-of-life things behind a subscription that makes the game more enjoyable to play. Sure, you can research what is and isn't useful or you can collect all the stuff you want because part of this game is crafting. Warframe for example is free to play. It is heavily monetized yet they allow the freedom to store all the stuff you want. For a game to say you can only store as much stuff as we will allow seems artificial and a tactic to make you pay for more storage. Terreria is $10 total. The entire game is $10. You get the entire game and as much storage as you can imagine. I get sick of people defending this business model. It's anti-consumer. The only people who should defend this model is the handful of people who make money off this practice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cobaltTangerine said:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it. I wasn't trying to be snarky with my initial comment. Like I said, big fan of the Fallout games.

Ammo is definitely an issue, but it just seems like yet another thing I need to grind out. I don't mind grinding, but it just seems like this game has levels upon levels of grind that are simply funneling you to buy Fallout 1st because of the Junk Storage or whatever it is called. The problem I have is nothing changes in gameplay. I built my camp right outside of Vault 76 and 5 enemies spawn. No matter how much I level, they still take the same amount of 5 or 6 shots to kill. It just doesn't feel like I'm making any progress. I'm running through ammo and stimpacks and weapons/armor breaking down with no sign of progress. It seems like an endless loop that never progresses. 

Hence why I would not advise going with a gun build in the early game if playing solo, especially now that enemies scale with you (they didn't before). There are some great solo gun builds out there that melt enemies, but they're all late game set ups. If you're level 46 though there should be some viable gun builds for you by now.

In terms of grind, at level 46 in 20 hours with not many story missions done I can't help but feel the grind may be self imposed? If you're playing for the platinum there's enough content in there that you shouldn't be backtracking or doing repeated content. I would avoid doing all the open world activities for now and just focus on story and expansions (and their side missions).  You have to do them for the plat/100% anyway.

The microtransactions are only egregious in terms of base building and storage space. In terms of weapons and gear, these are perfectly obtainable without subscribing to Fallout 1st. I learned very quickly that base building was made worse to push the atom shop and so as soon as a I built my home and the essential crafting benches I left the base building aspect alone... which meant I was no longer collecting junk...which meant my storage space could be free up for other items.  Storage really is only and issue if you're picking up every junk item you see.

Like I said, seek out some youtube videos and online strategies. Fallout 76 is a great game but can easily become a nightmare if you approach is wrong.

• Like 2