Wifi faster than Ethernet

Has anyone else noticed that the PS5 works better on Wi-Fi rather than the ethernet cable? I've had my PS5 set up on ethernet since getting it and the same for my PS4 during it's lifetime but I've been having some issues lately like slow download speeds, random cut outs when starting up the PS5 which also trips the internet on my PC for a couple mins, like it needs to warm up for 30 mins until it recognizes the internet properly, streaming PS+ games being near impossible and so on.

Yesterday I had enough and switched it over to WI-FI and since then not had any problems, downloading doesn't effect the rest of the internet and in comparison, downloading The Elder Scrolls Online which is 111gb has taken 2 hours on WI-FI whereas GTA V which 91gb took 8 hours on ethernet, even though both connections state I have 100 down.  

13 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Maybe you are using a Cat 5 cable (instead of 5e or better) which maxes out at 100Mbit/s?

What's the best ethernet cable to use? Is there a way to see how fast your current ethernet cable maxes out at?

I've been trying to upgrade my streaming setup and didn't know this made a difference... I  just use an extra ethernet cable I had laying around at work. 😅

27 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

What's the best ethernet cable to use? Is there a way to see how fast your current ethernet cable maxes out at?

I've been trying to upgrade my streaming setup and didn't know this made a difference... I  just use an extra ethernet cable I had laying around at work. 😅

I suppose on paper it would be Cat8 but PS5 has only 1Gbit NIC so Cat5e should be sufficient.

There are also other factors that limit the speed like the device on the other end, length of the cable etc.

I'm using Cat5e and I'm maxing out my ISP speeds -- 500Mbit/s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the PS5 works better on Wi-Fi rather than the ethernet cable?

I can't say that I agree, I have tried both and ethernet has certainly been the better option for obvious reasons. Like others in this thread have speculated, I would double check your connection and cable. It seems unlikely that your wireless connection would be faster than a wired one.

I'll try a different cable, I just find it weird that it disconnects the internet multiple times before accepting it whilst also saying I have 90-100mbs down. 

izE5bCG.jpeg

This is what I have on my PC with the same cable but I can't remember what cable I got. I'll check swapping the cable and see if that fixes it. 

1 hour ago, Maxine said:

*cries in slow internet with Ethernet not being an option unless I trail the cable around the house*

I have a mesh system and a cable dragged through my basement to my router because that's where my fiber box is. 

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Depends on your internet plan, but Cat 6 should suffice for now. I've been using Cat 5e, and it works fine.

2 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

When I got a Portal I was having a choppy connection. Bought a Cat-8 Ethernet cable for my PS5 and that fixed it up. 

I still think Cat 7 and above is snake oil. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxine said:

*cries in slow internet with Ethernet not being an option unless I trail the cable around the house*

I moved my consoles upstairs a few years ago to a save space and be generally more comfortable, but this was the huge drawback.  I actually ran a cable through the downstairs window to my room upstairs at one stage, which works OK in the summer but is not an option this time of year.  It's essentially led to a gradual change in my gaming habits away from online fighting games and towards more single player games, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

9 hours ago, ddracarys said:

I can't say that I agree, I have tried both and ethernet has certainly been the better option for obvious reasons. Like others in this thread have speculated, I would double check your connection and cable. It seems unlikely that your wireless connection would be faster than a wired one.

As a fellow countryman (well a Kiwi in Australia), I don't think Australian infrastructure is stable either way, ethernet is better somedays, Wifi others, then sometimes if you can get it, 5G is better. NBN has promised 5x speeds in the near future...let's see...

Like everyone else said, it's probably the cable, but the PS5 has a stupid fuckin problem recognizing my LAN cable anyway. I went through the trouble of running the cable across the upstairs of my house just so I could stop dealing with the bullshit WiFi issues the PS5 always has, only to run into the idiotic "LAN cable not connected" message for the first five minutes EVERY TIME I turn my PS5 back on. That shit is definitely connected!

• Like 1

I sometimes have similar issues with my PS5 connectivity over the Wi-Fi using NAT type 3. Depending on how your network is setup, you may have more strict rules on the LAN than the WLAN.

Your PS5’s NAT type determines how well it can connect to other players online. The options are:

• Open: Allows free connection to other consoles. This is the best for multiplayer gaming since it provides the smoothest online experience with the least lag or latency.
  • Moderate: Can connect to some but not all consoles. You may experience more lag or have trouble joining some multiplayer games.
  • Strict: Has limited connectivity. Will likely deal with significant lag, unable to join most multiplayer games.

To check your NAT type on PS5, go to Settings > Network > View Connection Status. The NAT type is displayed next to “NAT Type”. If it’s not Open, you’ll want to change it for the optimal online gaming experience.

9 hours ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

As a fellow countryman (well a Kiwi in Australia), I don't think Australian infrastructure is stable either way, ethernet is better somedays, Wifi others, then sometimes if you can get it, 5G is better. NBN has promised 5x speeds in the near future...let's see...

Good to know, I haven't actually gamed much since moving to Australia (also a Kiwi). As far as I have observed from my gaming setup in New Zealand, ethernet seemed like the most stable option.

10 hours ago, ruexnimbus said:

I sometimes have similar issues with my PS5 connectivity over the Wi-Fi using NAT type 3. Depending on how your network is setup, you may have more strict rules on the LAN than the WLAN.

While the pictures of the NAT describe what is the result, the reasoning is just the opposite.

"Your PS5 detects how well it can connect and display this as 3 possible NAT types".

The consoles dont "have a NAT type" and it is not "options" but instead, depending on the ISP or the router your console will show either of the 3 possibilities which is simply determined by the networking structure.

As for the topic:

yes, WiFi can be faster than ethernet, either because the cable doestn support the speeds, or the hardware on the other side of the console is the limiting factor.

Typically you would either have 100Mb/s or 1Gb/s, but very old and outdated hardware could probaly even run on 10 (does the PS5 even start in this case?).

WiFi can be faster than either of this, but usually ethernet should be the better (if just because of stability) option.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maxine said:

Try ethernet-over-powerline (also known as "home plug") adapters to get an ethernet connection to your PS5.  I use them for my PS5 and my PC (and I work from home on it all day) and it works great.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ruexnimbus said:

I sometimes have similar issues with my PS5 connectivity over the Wi-Fi using NAT type 3.

NAT type 3 is bad. I experienced a strange occurence in 2016, in which my NAT type on PS4 suddenly showed "failed" - I was unable to sync trophies. NAT type 2 is good.

Most of the time, it's the internet provider's fault.

1 hour ago, Jinkelz said:

depending on the ISP or the router

I know it isn't a setting in the console, it's in the router.

23 hours ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

slow download speeds, random cut outs when starting up the PS5 which also trips the internet on my PC for a couple mins, like it needs to warm up for 30 mins until it recognizes the internet properly

I suggested it because I have similar connectivity issues as the above on my PS5. Not only an issue with speeds.

I personally use Cat6A, with download speeds of 900mbps. ( of course my provider allows us 2gbps, speeds will depend on your internet provider, but oddly the back ports only give 1GBPS and the wifi is 2GBPS) When I rewired everything my computer was the only thing showing less than 100mbps and found I had a cord that had a kink in it I made I over looked. Just switch cables and check that out. You personally don't need anything more than a cat6 the cat7 came out around the same time and is hardly used from the thickness and harder to use cables. Not to mention connectors are doffernet as well and just isnt worth the hassel of the major change up. unless you are have serious servers and need serious wire protection anything over a cat6a over kill. I use a cat6a because of the distance from my router being on the other side of the house provides better MBPS for the distance. 

6 hours ago, ApexFuryan said:

anything over a cat6a over kill.

Couldn't agree more.

6 hours ago, ApexFuryan said:

I use a cat6a because of the distance from my router being on the other side of the house provides better MBPS for the distance. 

I think it's been recommended that we shouldn't go over 100 meters when using ethernet.

The kind of cable is a huge factor that yes, it totally needs to be more talked about, because in downloads it may work relative fine, but in multiplayer games with constant ups and downs it's where you see the real deal of the cable.

The problem I sometimes have with my ps5 is that for some reason it says I got offline and suddenly connect again, it happens more after long online sessions, when it's severe it says that you need to wipe the ps5 internet cache, and that works also

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 7:27 AM, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the PS5 works better on Wi-Fi rather than the ethernet cable? I've had my PS5 set up on ethernet since getting it and the same for my PS4 during it's lifetime but I've been having some issues lately like slow download speeds, random cut outs when starting up the PS5 which also trips the internet on my PC for a couple mins, like it needs to warm up for 30 mins until it recognizes the internet properly, streaming PS+ games being near impossible and so on.

Yesterday I had enough and switched it over to WI-FI and since then not had any problems, downloading doesn't effect the rest of the internet and in comparison, downloading The Elder Scrolls Online which is 111gb has taken 2 hours on WI-FI whereas GTA V which 91gb took 8 hours on ethernet, even though both connections state I have 100 down.  

So a few months ago this happened to me and it’s still not fixed my Ethernet connection is capped at 100mbps. While WiFi is 500mbps, it doesn’t effect game play to bad just downloading games takes forever, wifi is NAT3 so it’s hard to join lobby’s sometimes hints the reason why I switch to Ethernet when I’m done downloading/updating. What I have done to try and fix the problem, I first hard reset my ps5. Next I had my ISP out to check everything then I tried reaching out to Sony with no luck other than what everyone will say or what I have already done. I bought new Cat6 cables x3 I bought a new high end router which gave me some features to change the output of the Ethernet ports from 100mpbs or 1000mpbs, but for the ps5 is won’t let me change the ports output passed 100mbps also it allowed me to change my NAT type. It’s always been NAT type 2 for Ethernet and NAT type 3 for WiFi but I am able to change that now. I have taken my ps5 to a friends house where his is working fine on Ethernet 400mbps but when I plug mine in it doesn’t go over 100mbps. I have spent hours researching the problem and the only thing I could find is this issue has been going on for 3Years an it seems to happen when you put your ps5 in rest mode it will randomly mess up and cap your system at 100mbps. Some people claim system updates fixed it for them. I have received 3 updates in the last few months with no luck and other people claim other non sense like changing the DNS setting ect. But I can tell you nothing works it hasn’t been fixed yet don’t for see it getting fixed anytime soon. I got my ps5 2years after they came out haven’t had an XBOX since the first one but it might be a good time to make the switch. If anyone wasn’t to buy a disc version ps5 LMK.