Was my account hacked?

Hey everyone, I haven't been on PSNProfiles since Christmas time but I suddenly noticed my name is different!

I've never seen the name "liverish-shorts6" before in my life.

My name should be and always has been "Bombstriker".

So was my account hacked by chance? My password wasn't changed or anything, I haven't noticed any new games or trophies on my account, just the name change... sorry if this is a weird post but I'm super confused. I am changing both my email address and passwords not just in case.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, liverish-shorts6 said:

Hey everyone, I haven't been on PSNProfiles since Christmas time but I suddenly noticed my name is different!

I've never seen the name "liverish-shorts6" before in my life.

My name should be and always has been "Bombstriker".

So was my account hacked by chance? My password wasn't changed or anything, I haven't noticed any new games or trophies on my account, just the name change... sorry if this is a weird post but I'm super confused. I am changing both my email address and passwords not just in case.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

You were most likely hacked or someone living in your house that has access to your account did it. If it is a hacker you're lucky they didn't do anything extreme.

• Like 3

Have you tried contacting PlayStation support? You should be able to revert back to any previous PSN name as long as it doesn't violate ToS, and while you're in contact with them you can inquire about the name change. I'd start there.

Edit: Did you have 2FA activated? If not, definitely activate it. A friend of mine had something similar happen and he didn't have 2FA active.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm trying to sign-in to Playstation and it doesn't seem to be working. I do not currently have 2FA activated. I will have to wait for support to open up in a couple hours so I can contact them. I even am trying to change my actual PSN password and it isn't emailing me. Definitely looks like a hack job. Sucks. Thanks for the tips everyone!

I just noticed my signature still has my "Bombstriker" name on it haha. 

Edited by liverish-shorts6
  • Like 1

It seems very odd that somebody would go to the effort of hacking your account only to change your name. Your new name “liverish-shorts6” looks exactly like the kind of name that PSN auto-generates, so if I had to guess I’d say that your name was either reported or auto-flagged by the system for being offensive somehow. If this is the case I’m sure you can get it changed back when you contact support as clearly it was a mistake.

Just to be sure though, you should also ask customer support if they’re able to tell you if any suspicious IPS have accessed your account lately in case you actually were hacked. Also make sure to set up 2FA while you’re at it just in case.

Talked to Sony customer support yesterday, got everything squared away. They were helpful in getting my account back but when I asked about my account being hacked they would copy and paste a reply like "we have secured your account for you". Once into my account I noticed 2 completely different phone numbers added to to the account. I asked if they could do anything since they had the actual phone numbers right there but all I got was "we have secured your account for you" again.

Overall very frustrating, they wouldn't even acknowledge or look into anything other than just giving my account back to me (which I'm thankful for don't get me wrong). Zero help in that department, gotta protect those hackers you know...

I was lucky though since it was a fresh hack nothing was purchased or changed other than the account email, phone numbers & Online ID. Oh and they also changed my profile picture to someone sitting on the toilet wearing a sombrero??? LOL

I've set up 2FA and got everything back. Thanks everyone for the tips again!

And heads up, if you get hacked don't expect them to look into it for you 😒

• Like 1