Videogames where you get the platinum, but the story is a forgettable

Most games I have played have forgettable stories

...since I skipped most of the cutscenes or I didn't pay much attention to them.

A wise man named @CelestialRequiem once said, "Cutscenes just get in the way of the game. I send them straight to Hell."

😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find most stories forgettable to be honest, although I sit through al the cut scenes at least once, they don’t really register, I’m always thinking of what I’m doing next.

That’s why I love to watch streamers playing games I’ve already completed, they always seem to get more out of it than I ever do and I end up seeing things I missed.

On 4/18/2024 at 10:55 PM, SalvadorGamer_21 said:

What a video game you liked for a moment, they got the platinum but today you don't remember anything about its story because of how forgettable it was, personally it happens to me with Hogwarts Legacy, I try to remember its story but it was very flat and not memorable at all.

Oh this has Life is Strange True Colours written all over it for me!

On 4/18/2024 at 1:01 PM, CelestialRequiem said:

When you skip all cutscenes in 99% of the games that you play such as myself, every game has a forgettable story.

While I also align with this remark (not much of a cutscene/story guy anyway) - here are a few notable stories I could have done without:

• Fast & Furious Crossroads 😴
  • Dead Space 3 😴
    • This one wasn't originally bad...but then you go for the plat and have to play it 4 times so it got incredibly boring and lackluster.
  • Doom Eternal 🥲
    • might be a hot take but I definitely did not care for the story. at. all. Just wanted to get in and rip/tear, but then all the lore dumps were just a drag.
  • Kholat (not a plat / just a 100%) 😴
    • Walking sim / survival horror (but definitely way more walking and "puzzling" than survival horror) - was a drag and my game broke mid-through so I had to replay...hard not to just fall asleep
      • I'll 100% take the hit on this one being my fault for even starting the game after seeing it did not have a lot of substance. Tried to be hopeful, but it was a big miss.
  • Shadow Warrior 3 💤
    • Loved the second game, and the first kept me engaged because of the challenge. But, despite the fact I wrote the guide for #3, it just didn't have the same flair/humor as the first two games. Just felt off and lackluster.

That's all I can think of for now. 🤔

On 4/20/2024 at 10:27 PM, OmriStyle27 said:

it saddest me to put Bioshock 2 here but i really don't remember anything about the story , that game is so forgettable to me , even when i finished it i didn't remember anything much about the story , unlike bioshock 1 & 3 which are amazing in my opinion and i will never forget about them.

Just want to second this actually. The first one blew me away when I got it on release day, Infinite is incredible but 2 is bit, meh. The game itself is absolutely solid but the story lets it down.

• Like 1

Oh I have quite a few. I am always up for a good story, I only skip cutscenes if the game's story is unbelievably boring.

That being said, the games where I have no idea what happens:

• Far Cry Primal - since everyone mentioned it, I confirm - you just bonk neanderthals in the head and create your Minecraft clan, the rest is fluff
  • Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla - I swear to all those 3 pantheons, I remember the beginning then yiippee synchronization points and some shenanigans with the gods. What the plot is...uhhh...yeah idk?
  • Mortal Kombat X/11 - I know fighting games aren't THAT big on plot but my god I did NOT CARE here
  • Lords of the Fallen - to this day I have no idea what happens in that game. You just fight template name bosses like Warden, Judge, McDonalds Icecream Machine etc
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ - uhhhh....Goku powers up once again
  • Street Fighter 5 - good luck telling me who the main character is even there :lol: or what happens in that game. YES IT HAS A STORY MODE

All I can think of, for now

• Like 4

FC6 sadly. I enjoyed the 5th one way more and even it's story would start to repeat itself. Both are good games mechanic-wise. Then in AC Origins and Odyssey I kind skipped the whole subplot about ancient civilization etc. I believe Ubi can make good games but something is amiss. Food analogy: They know how to make tasty looking dinner, but after biting into it you can taste that something is off. Maybe their kitchens are understaffed or too divided. Maybe grandma forgot an ingredient.

Hogwarts Legacy, it was something about Goblins but no clue otherwise. 

Nier Automata, I cannot remember anything about the story. It all went over my head. 

Disgaea games- these are more about the gameplay anyway. 

FF12 and KH games- they weren't forgettable, they were just so complicated that it all went in one ear and out through the other. Especially KH, it took 20 years for the saga to complete, I played KH1 when I was 11, and KH 3 came out in my late 20s...