Movies/Tv Series Based On Video Games Recommendation

OmriStyle27

Are there any good Movies/Tv Series Based On Video Games out there or they're all pretty mediocre?

if you have any recommendation i would like to know , here are a few of them that looks pretty interesting to me but i would like to get some opinions first:

MV5BZjQ0YjAyNWQtMjRjMC00NzMxLTlkNjEtYWQzNmQwNGRlMGJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg  MV5BZGUzYTI3M2EtZmM0Yy00NGUyLWI4ODEtN2Q3ZGJlYzhhZjU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM0OTY1OQ@@._V1_.jpg  Warcraft_Teaser_Poster.jpg  Prince_of_Persia_poster.jpg  Uncharted_Official_Poster.jpg  MV5BNWVhNDY1MzQtZjAyMi00NDIwLWIzMjktN2RlZTI4M2EyMzQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM0NTUzNDIy._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg  

Edited by OmriStyle27

There are the 2 live action Sonic the Hedgehog films, last year's animated Super Mario Bros. Movie. (I have soft spot for the 90's version but the 2023 film is far superior), the first 3 live action Resident Evil films (avoid 4-6 like the plague) and the original Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider film from 2001 (the sequel and remake suck ass IMO), plus I've heard decent things about the Fallout tv series. If you want some high class cheese, you can't do much better than the 90's Street Fighter film with Jean-Claude Van Damme. As another entry In the category of films most people hate but I have a soft spot for, is Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - this was mauled at the time, though I really liked it.

On average though, films and TV shows based on games, tend to be mediocre at best and unwatchable at worst.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

Highly recommend The Last of Us series.   Looking forward to Season 2.

Uncharted movie isn’t anywhere near the same level of quality but it can be fun if you go in knowing what it is. 

• Like 1

I'll recommend stuff others haven't mentioned yet.

While of varying quality, all are better than Uncharted, Warcraft, Assassin's's Creed, and Prince of Persia.

Arcane

Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix

Castlevania

ARK: The Animated Series

DOTA: Dragon's Blood

Dragon Age: Absolution

Werewolves Within

Edited by Abby_TheLastofUs
  • Like 2

It really seems like the less you know about a franchise the better you'll find the live action adaptation - at least in my experience.

For instance I quite enjoyed the Prince of Persia movie and have never played a Prince of Persia game.

Whereas I've enjoyed all the Uncharted games and thought the movie was pretty bad in comparison.

I didn't care much for the Warcraft movie. The Assassin's Creed movie was okay, but on the lower end of the "okay" scale.

I had a great time watching the Street Fighter movie from 1994 recently, but knew ahead of time to not take it seriously for a moment. 

Arcane and Castlevania are very good animated fare. 

I really liked Final Fantasy Advent Children and the FFXV Kingsglaive movie was a decent prequel to the game.

The Alicia Vikander Tomb Raider movie worked ok as a prequel-style origin story but since there was no follow-up movie it was a wasted effort.

Best rule of thumb is avoid anything Uwe Boll directed.

• Like 1

Okay, I have a few I really like, a lot of them anime though.

Edited by Breakingthegreen
typo

If you have played Uncharted, I would recommend to avoid watching the movie lol but if you haven't then I guess it's fine, just an Indiana Jones-esque silly movie to watch on a sunday. I think the Warcraft movie will feel kinda alienated to people who don't know what the hell is going on, but the movie in general is kinda messy, silly costumes, overly bright for some reason, they tried to do too much for a short screentime. I do think The Last of Us was pretty great, and I have loved the game pretty much since release, but even with their flaws here and there because you can't expect a TV show to play out the same way a game would, I don't think you would hate it like a lot of people do. As for recommendations: the 2022 Halo TV show, Arcane, Twisted Metal, Castlevania, The Witcher, I would say are all pretty good, some better than others, but they are all worth a watch imo.

Most of these aren't what id consider 8-10 out of 10 masterpieces(except Bomberman jetters)I personally really liked

The Sonic cartoons and movies

Rampage

The kirby anime (sub version has a god tier ost but the dub has a better king dedede)

Bomberman jetters(did not expect this one to be this good. Also gets pretty dark during the second half)

Akibas trip

The Japanese phoenix wright film and the anime

The first hitman film

Monster rancher anime

The postal film(uwe bolls only good adaptation though its more of a so bad its good type of deal)