Gaming For The Animals 3: The Water Level [EVENT BEGINS MAY 21ST]

Hey everyone! As you can probably see, this is posted early, but this is for a very good reason: we're switching things up again! Here's the big stuff to remember this year:

• I am switching the theme and company I am donating to. This year is water themed, so instead of playing games solely based on having an animal in them you'll be picking water based games or games with water levels. I think this will allow for a bit more variety and less weird borderline cases like previous years have had. See above if you need more clarity on what counts and doesn't count.
  • There's a way to up how many votes you're allowed! Your limit is usually ten votes, but this year you can get up to thirteen votes! This is possible by finishing up to three games on World Ocean Day, June 8th, your own timezone.
  • The best way to figure out if a game counts is to determine if it's possible to swim in the level if you were physically there yourself. This does mean that ice levels do not count despite ice being made of water, but I think you guys can manage that :)

And finally I do have one big announcement to make in regards to Gaming For The Animals: I have decided that this will be my last year hosting the event. I have enjoyed GFTA a lot, but I feel like it's time for me personally to move on. That being said, if someone here wants to host next year that's fine! Please PM me if you're interested in maybe taking over next year.

• Like 2

You know I'm in this year too. I already told you that you were gonna cause me to get a panic attack playing Subnautica.

Just because I know it's the question on people's mind's with it being very popular at the moment, will Dave the Diver count, I doubt it since you said no fishing games, but let's check early.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Just because I know it's the question on people's mind's with it being very popular at the moment, will Dave the Diver count, I doubt it since you said no fishing games, but let's check early.

I'm gonna say no to this, iirc you make sushi in Dave the Diver right? If so, yeah I don't think it fits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissShake said:

I'm gonna say no to this, iirc you make sushi in Dave the Diver right? If so, yeah I don't think it fits.

I didn't make the sushi, I just shot the fish with the Harpoon... I'm not selling this well, am I?

Also just some general clarifications

• How about when water is an obstacle would it still count? Sly Cooper can't swim but Wales and Haiti have a of water that raccoon could drown in?
  • What about man made pools or a fountain that'd be big enough to swim in?
  • If there is a fishing minigame (like in Spiritfarer, Stardew Valley, or Persona 4 golden) which is definitely not a major focus, would that count?
  • Last year Sea Turtles were exempt from voting since they won year 1, is that still in place this year?
  • Also you said no sewer levels, so Watch Dogs Legion doesn't count then, I've got a map of what Thames Water have been doing to our rivers, including all the sewage it's pumped into that river. JK (But seriously the water companies in the UK are pure scum.)

1 minute ago, Breakingthegreen said:

I didn't make the sushi, I just shot the fish with the Harpoon... I'm not selling this well, am I?

Also just some general clarifications

• How about when water is an obstacle would it still count? Sly Cooper can't swim but Wales and Haiti have a of water that raccoon could drown in?
  • What about man made pools or a fountain that'd be big enough to swim in?
  • If there is a fishing minigame (like in Spiritfarer, Stardew Valley, or Persona 4 golden) which is definitely not a major focus, would that count?
  • Last year Sea Turtles were exempt from voting since they won year 1, is that still in place this year?
  • Also you said no sewer levels, so Watch Dogs Legion doesn't count then, I've got a map of what Thames Water have been doing to our rivers, including all the sewage it's pumped into that river. JK (But seriously the water companies in the UK are pure scum.)
  • They count!
  • I'll count these too, but I'd really prefer natural bodies of water!
  • My big thing is that Dave the Diver and fishing games have a big focus on stuff that's harming the animals. I think this goes against the theme of the event, so those won't count. Mini games are just mini games, yes we're doing them for the plat but they aren't the biggest part of the game.
  • Sea turtles are available again this year!
  • Oh I can't say I'm shocked! Sewer levels are a weird one, but basically if you think man fucked up the water in a level too much then it won't count. I know some games do different artistic directions with sewers though, which is why I'm asking for links to the level so I can kind of see what they're doing :)
  • Like 1

Sly 2: Band Of Thieves was kind of a drag to play (IMO) which is one reason I didn’t boot Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves at least shortly after completing the former. Guess I’ll do that to coincide with this event.

Edited by Dry
Sly 3 subtitle correction.
  • Like 1

I didn't have any good idea what to use for last year's event, but I am going to join this year because I have the perfect games for this event! Two were started but haven't gotten very far into their content and I probably won't be able to play those games for a while as I will be busy doing the Kill Your Completion 2024 even on May, and I will be in Utah on the 21st but one of the KYC games is one I will be doing. Right now, the games I plan to platinum at the start are:

Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm (If you played Oceanhorn, this game is set in the same world, an archipelago of islands, so there is a lot of ocean to travel.)

Dark Cloud: The third place you visit is a seaside town and you explore a sunken shipwreck. (They even show you diving to it in a submarine!)
Dark Cloud 2: The fourth place you visit is a beachside bay and you explore undersea caverns and oversea caves.

I'll be a bit busy in June but I will try to see if I can get those games done before Ocean Day. This event is similar to RPG Limit Break, an event supporting a noble cause, and I want to help you out in any way possible!

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 5:50 PM, MissShake said:

Sewer levels are a weird one, but basically if you think man fucked up the water in a level too much then it won't count. I know some games do different artistic directions with sewers though, which is why I'm asking for links to the level so I can kind of see what they're doing

The first level of Dark Cloud 2 is an underground water channel but the way it looks, I am thinking it might not just siphon water into Palm Brinks(the only city in the game) but it also siphons... stuff... out of the city. Not saying the first dungeon is a sewer, but it looks a lot like one if you saw it. <_<

Luckily, if this is part sewer, you don't see any indication of the sewage. :lol:

Edited by ProfSeajay7

Damn, I was saving some animal games for this event... Oh well, I am in.

I don't know if I have games with water levels... But if I get one of those I will add that to the list, hopefully is not traumatic lile Zelda Ocarina of time was back in the day.

• Like 1

I can probably hack Oceanhorn 2 for Ocean Day because, having played the original Oceanhorn, I am predicting the sequel will be quick. I already cleared the first boss (for the A-Z Slayers Club) and it only took me an hour to get to. And there are four more bosses, including the titular game's namesake, so I should not take longer than a week if I play most of each day. (I have to play FFXIV too to get ready for Dawntrail.)

If I underestimate the speed it takes me to complete the game and miss Ocean Day, I will make up for it after the event, but I should be able to make it.

Edited by ProfSeajay7